Thai govt wants to raise fares of 'low-cost' airlines

webfact

It would be a great day in this country if all buses were crushed for scrap and everyone could afford air transport. I get tired of seeing busses in the ditches on their sides every time I take a long drive.

This woman owns a factory that manufactures 800 buses a year. Plus several bus companies. Her earnings are in the billions of baht per year. My heart bleeds for her. Rather than improve her service, equipment or routes she wants to stymie the competition. And the minister she approached did not have the good sense to just kick her out onto the streets. Oh, I forgot, her money makes her an elite. One of their own. He could not say no to one of his own.

Thankfully, this appears to be only wishful thinking on the part of several numnuts and the airline industry is a competitive one, in a free market.

Sometimes the powers that be simply have to be ignored, when they start demonstrating this level of ignorance.

While we are on the subject of "elites" would you mind explaining to me how one would become an elite ?

If it is all about money and power do the Shins qualify ?

I looked up the description of the word in an online dictionary and part of it read - "In general, elite means the more capable group of people. The selected part of a group that is superior to the rest in terms of ability or qualities."..............................................I cannot see too many on either side of the political fence who would fit that description, neither red, yellow or orange. Especially the Shins, considering their track record, complete disregard for the law, incompetence, criminal history etc.

This woman owns a factory that manufactures 800 buses a year. Plus several bus companies. Her earnings are in the billions of baht per year. My heart bleeds for her. Rather than improve her service, equipment or routes she wants to stymie the competition. And the minister she approached did not have the good sense to just kick her out onto the streets. Oh, I forgot, her money makes her an elite. One of their own. He could not say no to one of his own.

Thankfully, this appears to be only wishful thinking on the part of several numnuts and the airline industry is a competitive one, in a free market.

Sometimes the powers that be simply have to be ignored, when they start demonstrating this level of ignorance.

While we are on the subject of "elites" would you mind explaining to me how one would become an elite ?

If it is all about money and power do the Shins qualify ?

I looked up the description of the word in an online dictionary and part of it read - "In general, elite means the more capable group of people. The selected part of a group that is superior to the rest in terms of ability or qualities."..............................................I cannot see too many on either side of the political fence who would fit that description, neither red, yellow or orange. Especially the Shins, considering their track record, complete disregard for the law, incompetence, criminal history etc.

In the LOS, the only qualification for the lower echelon of elite, is a minimum net worth of 300 million baht. So, yes it is mostly about money.

• Like 1

I hope Thailand's Minister of Transport, ACM Prajin Janthong remembers to tell the public that the reason they have to continue to die in bus crashes is to protect the business interests of his best friend bus owner Suchinda Cherdchai.

Nailed it in one monkeycountry. Had ACM Janthong put the slightest hint of a thought into this announcement, he would have seen that the only winners out of this suggestion would be the repugnant Khun Suchinda and her family.

The good news is that this article indirectly also explains why the government never orders more safety in the bus sector, despite all the crashes. Such an order would of course also hurt the pockets of bus owner Suchinda Cherdchai

Crashes? What crashes? Why wouldn't we feel safe??

When will falling fuel costs be reflected in the fares Suchinda charges for her buses?

Don't hold your breath.

Actually, as reported on Thursday, this piece of pond scum (credit: Globeman) acquiesced to a two satang per kilometer price "cut" to all her routes.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/790092-bus-fares-to-thai-provinces-to-be-cut/

This was not in response to the fall in oil prices, which, in December, she vowed would not force her to decrease her prices.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bus-operators-reject-lower-bus-fares-despite-oil-price-reductions

We need all the buses off the road to make space for the trucks to go faster! This is what happens when your freight rail transport is 200 years behind anyone else! Mind you I can't see an airline refusing to raise its prices. They should be lowering them because of the oil price! In our dreams! Go Air Asia and Nok and others. Save lives by allowing people to fly cheaply and avoid 14 hrs on a bus!!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Here is an idea for the government

How about yearly inspections of the equipment of these inter-provincial bus companies

How about governors to slow down these inter-provincial bus companies

How about log books that show exactly how long a driving shift is on these inter-provincial bus companies

How about publishing the safety records of these inter-provincial bus companies

How about restoring democracy in Thailand so that these hair brained ideas from the military masters stop

yes, to all except the final point, I have been out this way for 13 years and I see zero difference between this bunch of idiots and any of the others that have been in power. Remember propellorhead and his outstanding idea to reduce flooding by tying boats across the Chao Phira and using their propellors to move the water faster? Moronic ideas seem to be universal among Thai leaders no matter if they are elected or not, so restoring democracy is not going to make a blind bit of difference.

I remember that. That one was one of the best ideas to come out of the Thai school for the gifted

Could have used explosives to make the river deeper to be able to hold more water.coffee1.gif

wow! the interest of one business owner - ONE - over the freedom to choose how to travel! what if thousands of people complain about the high fares, poor quality of service, and lack of safety on some bus liners. some people are just devoid of logic nowadays.

In other words, raise your prices so your customers will stop using you and force your customers to use your competition.

no,

in other words,

the thai middle-class-sanuk-society is blocking the flight seats, tourism is suffering.

Thais don`t book expensive tour packages.

Thailand has to find a way, that the flight capacity is reserved for foreign tourism.

OMG. What about putting brain into gear before engaging mouth! I hope the ACM is not the one who categorically stated that the AirAsia plane was not in the sea?

Lets add to the national road toll and then we CAN become No 1 in the world! Whoopee coffee1.gif

Edit: Grammar

Edited by lvr181

AirAsia Phuket to Bkk is cheaper than the taxi from Rawai to the bloody airport !

You are joking. Over B3000 this week. Thai Air B1650

So you compared the Premium Flex fare (i.e. the most expensive AirAsia fare at ฿3,036.50) and the Smile Saver (i.e. the cheapest Thai Airways fare at ฿1,650.00) to make your point?

You are joking, right?

I guess it was just an oversight that you didn't compare like for like (฿1,383.00 v. ฿1,650.00) or (฿3,036.50 v. ฿4,050.00)...

If my memory serves me right this is the very same bus owner who not so long ago wanted to raise bus fares. Who in their right mind would want to travel by choice with most of the bus companies offered in Thailand. There is absolutely no doubt that most bus companies need to lift their game by a long way, not complain about the more competative alternatives.

I don't believe this. Government intervention in a free market? I don't blame travellers who want to travel by air as opposed to the dangerous accident prone busses on Thai roads.

But would-be passengers would still have to brave the roads to and from the airport.

No one will need to fly anyway when the Chinese finish the Rail-a-Thon they are planning for Thailand

Not much good for Phuket and many other places

AirAsia Phuket to Bkk is cheaper than the taxi from Rawai to the bloody airport !

So you compared the Premium Flex fare (i.e. the most expensive AirAsia fare at ฿3,036.50) and the Smile Saver (i.e. the cheapest Thai Airways fare at ฿1,650.00) to make your point?

You are joking, right?

I guess it was just an oversight that you didn't compare like for like (฿1,383.00 v. ฿1,650.00) or (฿3,036.50 v. ฿4,050.00)...

Not in any way! I want to go about lunch time and that was the Air Asia Low Fare. This week I need to fly up on the 14th and the Air Asia LF price is B2633. Mine on Thai Air is B1650 without the AA extras. Strict comparison. Air Asia vary their prices to suit, ie. High after the holidays. Still cheap if you want to fly at 07.50, but I do not want to get up before dawn

You are joking, right?

............... Air Asia vary their prices to suit, ie. High after the holidays. Still cheap if you want to fly at 07.50, but I do not want to get up before dawn

Many airlines vary their prices depending on demand as they see it.

I hope Thailand's Minister of Transport, ACM Prajin Janthong remembers to tell the public that the reason they have to continue to die in bus crashes is to protect the business interests of his best friend bus owner Suchinda Cherdchai.

Nailed it in one monkeycountry. Had ACM Janthong put the slightest hint of a thought into this announcement, he would have seen that the only winners out of this suggestion would be the repugnant Khun Suchinda and her family.

The good news is that this article indirectly also explains why the government never orders more safety in the bus sector, despite all the crashes. Such an order would of course also hurt the pockets of bus owner Suchinda Cherdchai

Crashes? What crashes? Why wouldn't we feel safe??

When will falling fuel costs be reflected in the fares Suchinda charges for her buses?

Don't hold your breath.

Actually, as reported on Thursday, this piece of pond scum (credit: Globeman) acquiesced to a two satang per kilometer price "cut" to all her routes.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/790092-bus-fares-to-thai-provinces-to-be-cut/

This was not in response to the fall in oil prices, which, in December, she vowed would not force her to decrease her prices.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bus-operators-reject-lower-bus-fares-despite-oil-price-reductions

Hold on a minute. For Janthong to have put the slightest bit of thought into this statement would have required independence. That would demonstrate that the army is not beholden to the elites, which it most obviously is. That would demonstrate that the army cares more for the masses than the wealthy business owners. Well, we know the answer to that one. And it would have demonstrated that he was a carefully selected minister, who was vetted for his particular set of skills, appropriate for his position as transport minister, which is obviously a very important position in this nation. Lastly, it would have demonstrated a strategic, long term vision. That is something no Thai government official on any level has ever shown, to my knowledge. Certain very well loved and respected figures in this country have shown that vision, and have done much for this nation. But, they were not members of any Thai government, past or present.

I searched to find out what his credentials were, for this very important post. Other than being Chief Air Marshal, I could not find much about this guy. He is a bit of a mystery man.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1