Can you live without credit cards?

simon43

This is the reason credit cards are worth having if they're foreign issued.

For anything I mail order from overseas I use a UK issued credit card, anything else I just use my Thai debit card. Sometimes they insist on a locally issued card for 'fraud prevention'.

If anything I think a Thai credit card would be more of a liability than useful. If someone steals your Thai credit card details or clones the card who's going to be liable ? I'll bet it won't be the bank like it would be back in the UK / USA.

I'm notified anytime a withdrawal is made by message to my phone with my Thai credit/debit cards. When I left my home country they did not have that service.

If you travel a lot within Asia, hard to do so without the use of a credit card. booking flights, hotels and such. no car rental without credit card. if you want to check in at a hotel of 4/5 - star standard, they will look at you like a criminal or even refuse your business if you can not produce a credit card as a deposit for the expenses. if you live in the CHONNABOT for 365 days a year and your only travel activity is a visit to the local BIG C 50 Kilometers away in the provincial.....ermmmmm...... "Capital" once a month, then no doubt you can live a happy life without a credit card

I just do not understand why they will not accept a debit card ,only a credit card for airline tickets ,crazy.

I think Thailand is far more civilized. I pay all my bills in cash at the 7/11 or an ATM machine and Lazada and all of the other stores I use deliver COD. No problem. Never get ripped off with online banking security problems or some North Korean or Russian hacking into my credit card. Make the mortgage payment transfer the money at the bank and can also pay internet and electric at the cashier.

Seems like a lot of running around just to pay bills.

Go to the bank at Lotus 7 PM at night (bank is still open). Pay bills at the bank and at Lotus when checking out with the evenings meal. No running around. Unless you don't go to the grocery store either.

Also in civilized countries, you can pay all your bills on line through internet banking. Dont have to leave home. SMH

If you travel a lot within Asia, hard to do so without the use of a credit card. booking flights, hotels and such. no car rental without credit card. if you want to check in at a hotel of 4/5 - star standard, they will look at you like a criminal or even refuse your business if you can not produce a credit card as a deposit for the expenses. if you live in the CHONNABOT for 365 days a year and your only travel activity is a visit to the local BIG C 50 Kilometers away in the provincial.....ermmmmm...... "Capital" once a month, then no doubt you can live a happy life without a credit card

I just do not understand why they will not accept a debit card ,only a credit card for airline tickets ,crazy.

Debit cards arent made for those type transactions. They are made for taking money out of ATMs.

I think Thailand is far more civilized. I pay all my bills in cash at the 7/11 or an ATM machine and Lazada and all of the other stores I use deliver COD. No problem. Never get ripped off with online banking security problems or some North Korean or Russian hacking into my credit card. Make the mortgage payment transfer the money at the bank and can also pay internet and electric at the cashier.

Go to the bank at Lotus 7 PM at night (bank is still open). Pay bills at the bank and at Lotus when checking out with the evenings meal. No running around. Unless you don't go to the grocery store either.

Also in civilized countries, you can pay all your bills on line through internet banking. Dont have to leave home. SMH

Like Sony? or A cyberattack this summer on JPMorgan Chase compromised the accounts of 76 million households and seven million small businesses, a tally that dwarfs previous estimates by the bank and puts the intrusion among the largest ever. Ya that's civilized

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_r=0

• Like 1

Like Sony? or A cyberattack this summer on JPMorgan Chase compromised the accounts of 76 million households and seven million small businesses, a tally that dwarfs previous estimates by the bank and puts the intrusion among the largest ever. Ya that's civilized

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_r=0

Sure you can live your life under a rock while the rest of the world uses technology to their benefit. I always like these arguments....oh how soon we forget check forgery and other paper scams. There will always be someone or something stealing from people. The techniques change to keep up with technology unlike some of the old TV fuddy duddies. SMH

Sure you can live your life under a rock while the rest of the world uses technology to their benefit. I always like these arguments....oh how soon we forget check forgery and other paper scams. There will always be someone or something stealing from people. The techniques change to keep up with technology unlike some of the old TV fuddy duddies. SMH

I'm not under a rock. I'm high tech. However I realize the limits of security. When you figure out how to post you might want to get back to me in a readable form.biggrin.png

Edited by thailiketoo

I Have 3 with a total credit limit of around $36,000. I have no idea why I would need to charge that amount but that is what they gave me.

I use mine (rarely) for international travel and for several thousand baht transactions (rarely). I just keep them for emergency and I understand that it is not good for your credit rating if you do not use them at all. So I use all 3 (rarely).

Hackers and online thieves just love people like you!

Cheque forgeries affect a few people, online scams affect millions at once. But carry on, it's all good till it isn't.

I Have 3 with a total credit limit of around $36,000. I have no idea why I would need to charge that amount but that is what they gave me.

I use mine (rarely) for international travel and for several thousand baht transactions (rarely). I just keep them for emergency and I understand that it is not good for your credit rating if you do not use them at all. So I use all 3 (rarely).

I have no idea why I would need to charge that amount

They give you ( and millions more ) that amount because they hope you'll rack up the amount you borrow, and they'll make loads of money off you ( and millions more ) in interest. They prey on the weak and gullible- I used to be one, and the day I cut up my card was a happy one.

Don't know if they still do, but they used to keep increasing my limit without me asking, hoping to sucker me- scumbags all.