Digital TV

Forkinhades

Have seen the boxes for sale in many places around Pattaya now, but not a single shop has a working demonstration !

this webpage https://broadcast.nbtc.go.th/TVDigital/TVChannels-T.png

has the list of available channels no English language channels.

Sorry cant be more helpfull still waiting for our "free" settop box voucher if/when ( if ever) it arrives

then I'll go out and get one of these DVB-T2 boxes to test.

I have seen a few 'boxes' in the big stores. So question is do they work in Pattaya?

If so what to expect?

I have recently set one up for my in-laws out in rural surat thani and it works fine, so should not be a problem in Pattaya. You should expect 28 channels of Thai c**p.

Anyone know if you need the boxes to receive the new channels or if it is only necessary to buy a digital antenna if you have a modern TV. I know in USA you don't need the boxes.

If your TV has this logo

post-2109-0-00526300-1421202368_thumb.pn

then all you need is an antenna if not you'll need set top box and antenna.

Check if your TV has digital tuner

https://broadcast.nbtc.go.th/tools/idtv

Coverage maps

https://broadcast.nbtc.go.th/TVDigital/TVDigitalCoverage

Seems they have quite a bit of the bay of Thailand covered but not total coverage of Chonburi/Rayong.

Some reviews on set top boxes available in Thailand

http://www.thaidigitaltelevision.com/category/set-top-box/

The above site has lots more Digital TV information.

• 3 months later...

I went to 2 post offices today and they both said they where "out" of coupons which is a bit of a fib really.

My wife called the Office of The Nationanal Broadcasting and Telecomunications Commisision ( NBTC )

they say that they have not released coupons for the Na-Jomtien area because the signal is not "ready" ie they have not turned on the filler transmiters yet. When the signal is there they will send out coupons.

You can check if your area has had coupons released by putting in your 11 digit house number from the blue book at this webpage

http://dtvcoupon.nbtc.go.th/searchphp.php

though the error message if they have not distributed to your area is just "we don't have any information"

No not quite, but very similar

errrr ok.....then how exactly does your Android TV box work then if its not DVBT ( terestrial ) or IPTV ( internet )

maybe its cable ( DVBC ) or satellite ( DVBS) ? or some other new fangled way.... 4G telephone ?

Please reveal the secret. thumbsup.gif

55, sorry

Basically the Android box is a mini computer that connects to your tv via the Internet, you then have many apps that you can download. Dootv is a very good one for thailand.

The Mrs loves it, and we don't need any cable company now.

The boxes are around 3000 - 5000 baht depending on make and model

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

According to the NBTC website and phone app Pattaya and Sri cha transmitters are on and transmitting

But I have had no luck getting a signal at all !!

You will probably need to use a small outside aerial ,and try a few positions and directions .Check which way others are pointed .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok so I will answer myself tongue.png

After 3 different aerials, 2 runs of RG6 coaxial cable and going to the highest point on the roof I was finally able to get digital terrestrial TV signals

from what would appear ( from the frequencies ) to be both Bangkok and Pattaya transmitters.

homemade 600 MHz yagi
SIS cheapo from Amorn
Home made and SIS antenna both have about the same performance and could pull in signals from Bangkok and Pattaya with a short cable while testing on the roof.
post-2109-0-72056400-1463631817_thumb.jp
but did not enough gain to overcome the long coax run to the TV
no idea where to get a mast head amplifier.
So got the biggest antenna they had in Amorn Samart D15E 550 baht
and using the website here
provides the pointing direction and frequencies
post-2109-0-22655500-1463631378_thumb.jp
post-2109-0-89906500-1463631594_thumb.jp
A lot of testing and running up and down ladders later............ success !! well kind of
post-2109-0-74554400-1463632188_thumb.jppost-2109-0-04595100-1463632205_thumb.jp
post-2109-0-83602300-1463632293_thumb.jppost-2109-0-65951800-1463632318_thumb.jp
5 MUX's from Bangkok
on CH 26 @ 514 MHz
CH 36 @ 594 Mhz
Ch 40 @ 626 Mhz
Ch 44 @ 658 Mhz
Ch 52 @ 722 Mhz
but only 2 MUX's from the Pattaya transmitter on
CH 53 @ 730 Mhz
Ch 56 @ 754 Mhz
Anyone else have better luck with the Pattaya transmitter ?

Archived