Row over EC man's remarks

Lite Beer

Row over EC man's remarks

BANGKOK: -- ELECTION Commissioner Somchai Srisuthiyakorn should step down to take responsibility for insulting Interior ministry officials, Rewat Kruabuddeemahachok, head of the Confederation of Assistant District Chiefs of Thailand said yesterday.

Rewat was responding on Facebook to Somchai's statement that giving Interior officials responsibility to hold elections was like giving swords to bandits. His comment caused anger in Interior ministry circles and went viral on social media.

"If Interior ministry officials were like bandits, you are a super bandit," Rewat said, adding that Somchai should apologise for insulting officials. He said he had submitted letters to members of the confederation in every province to take action or protest against Somchai. He would submit the petition at the central EC on January 19.

"The ministry officials work hard behind the scenes helping organise elections and it is bad enough that you steal the show but you also insulted us. If officials are slighted because of your bad words, they do not turn up to help organise elections for 30 per cent, you will have problems with elections," he said during a media interview.

Former Kampaeng Phet governor Krit Arthitkaew demanded an apology from Somchai, saying he had hurt the feeling of 300,000 Interior officials.

Election Commission member Boonsong Noisophon also criticised the idea for Interior and Education ministry officials to replace the EC in organising elections. He said opposition parties would protest because elections must be organised by a politically neutral body - and such officials were linked to a ruling camp and thus likely to act under government influence.

He urged the reformers who came up with the idea to review the idea, saying the 1997 charter had replaced Interior Ministry officials with the EC.

Problems in the poll in February last year were not caused by the EC but legal ambiguity. Reverting to the old way would cause political chaos.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Row-over-EC-mans-remarks-30251661.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-11

whistling.gif Oh good, the childish politicians are acting like the spoiled children they are again.

That ought to push the Baht/Dollar rate higher.

As long as those childish politicians squabble, a lower Baht means I get more Baht each month for my Dollar denominated pension.

"Good on you", political fools.

• Like 1

The EC is the only department that is responsible for elections , keep it under one roof , don't start letting outsiders in control or you could have massive corruption of elected officials, vote buying would be a walk in the park compared with what will happen , that's why it was suggested , in Thailand when suggestions like this crop up, ask the question , Why first.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Thais are still "bickering" about how an election should be held. Along with the 12 values, this is good for the children to observe. All this Thai bickering will show them what it is all about, and what sort of future that they have.

He said, she said ... they're nothing more than children in the playground ... get rid of these archaic defamation/lese majeste laws and for < deleted > sake, just for once, get on with your < deleted > jobs and move the country forwards not backwards ...

• Like 1

whistling.gif Oh good, the childish politicians are acting like the spoiled children they are again.

As long as those childish politicians squabble, a lower Baht means I get more Baht each month for my Dollar denominated pension.

If that were truely the case, then we ought to be getting a couple hundred baht for the dollar. Unfortunately, that ain't happening.

These 'officials' are just fools who say the first thing that pops into their tiny minds without ever giving a second thought to the implications (or reality) of what they are saying. They just want their 15 seconds in the limelight.

Just like the idiot yesterday who said we would have standard guage trains built and running in 2 years.

"The ministry officials work hard behind the scenes helping organise elections and it is bad enough that you steal the show but you also insulted us. If officials are slighted because of your bad words, they do not turn up to help organise elections for 30 per cent, you will have problems with elections," he said during a media interview.

How very professional... :rolleyes:

"You take it back or we will ruin the elections!"

A while back a PM who was also a general supplied handguns to interior ministry officials, most of which ended up missing, presumably sold. Does that make them bandits?

Unarmed bandits, presumably.

• Like 1

"elections must be organised by a politically neutral body". He really pretends the EC has been neutral? What a joke!

The perceived bias is caused by one side of Thai politics which breaks electoral laws as a matter of course, then claims bias when they are caught out, and use their private militia to intimidate election officials and the voters.

In the 2011 elections, there were obvious breaches of criminal law which SHOULD have seen PTP disbanded - use of a banned politician in advertising, and the nomination of unsuitable party list candidates facing, and delaying, serious criminal charges. Was this political bias, or did they wish to avoid civil unrest caused by the result of deliberate electoral law breaches, by a militia organised,armed and commanded by a criminal?

I always enjoy to read your well-balanced analytic posts................................coffee1.gif

"You are a bandit!"

"And you are a super-bandit!"

"Then you are a super-duper-bandit!"

"And you are a super-duper-bandit times two!"

"I'm going to tell my older brother!"

"Phew, I'm going to tell my older sister!"

"Mom, Mooommm!!!"

An amazing way to run a country.

Has anyone suggested just who or where in Thailand one might find a politically neutral body large enough to oversee a fully transparent and incorruptible electioneering process. Perhaps they should make an exception and allow all the idle unemployed farangs living in Thailand to do the necessary. Now, now, stop thinking Thainess and ill gotten gains.

Telling the truth publicly has always been a problem in this country...

Not sure Mr. Somchai meant all of the 300,000 were bandits, ...there must be some, a few, who are not, like in the Police force also in fact, but any not receiving some money from the corruption 'manna', I seriously doubt so. I am so very sorry for Thailand for you to be so very right, Mr Somchai!

• Like 1

Not sure if you are talking about another pending US government shutdown or are referring to the EC story. Edited by Impossible

Somchai's statement that giving Interior officials responsibility to hold elections was like giving swords to bandits

I agree 100%

Hopefully General Prayuth has "cleaning up the interior ministry " on his list of things to do.

The Education Dept is very corrupt and also needs attention.

• Like 2

Has anyone suggested just who or where in Thailand one might find a politically neutral body large enough to oversee a fully transparent and incorruptible electioneering process. Perhaps they should make an exception and allow all the idle unemployed farangs living in Thailand to do the necessary. Now, now, stop thinking Thainess and ill gotten gains.

All of Thailands'problems can be written in one word.

Ferlung!

All of Thailands'problems can be written in one word.

Ferlung!

Is that similar to a furlong?

Interior Ministry officials sure get 'butt hurt' easily. While I love Thailand and most 'regular' Thai people, as soon as any one of them get some power, their skin becomes very thin and they take offense at anything that borders on criticism; as if they think they are perfect and there is no room for improvement. I have told one of my police general friends, 'get over yourself' on more than one occasion. I think I get away with it because I am farang. None of my Thai friends who have lived in the US take that attitude.

Interior Ministry officials sure get 'butt hurt' easily. While I love Thailand and most 'regular' Thai people, as soon as any one of them get some power, their skin becomes very thin and they take offense at anything that borders on criticism; as if they think they are perfect and there is no room for improvement. I have told one of my police general friends, 'get over yourself' on more than one occasion. I think I get away with it because I am farang. None of my Thai friends who have lived in the US take that attitude.

It's called acquiring illusions of grandeur.

Thai civil servants often seem to have that as part of their new job description duties as they progress up the ladder, The higher up the more sensitive to criticism but less interested in fairness and responsibility they become, funny that.