Rohingya woman killed while being smuggled across southern provinces

Lite Beer

Rohingya woman killed while being smuggled across southern provinces

A Rohingya woman was found dead in one of five vehicles used to transport 98 Rohingya from Phang Nga to Songkhla Sunday, police said.

Police intercepted four pick-up trucks and a SUV vehicle in Nakhon Si Thammarat's Hua Sai district and found the Rohingya inside. Many of them became so fatigued that had to be rushed to a nearby hospital. Two drivers of the vehicles were arrested while three others fled the scene.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Rohingya-woman-killed-while-being-smuggled-across--30251675.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-11

• Like 1

I'm sure Thailand could make a pretty good 4x400m Olympic relay team, with a little extra training for all these guys who flee from the police so well.

Before making such a silly assumption, you should take into account 2 factors;

1/ the fitness of the BIB. At 62, with 2 stuffed knees, I could outrun most BIB half my age.

2/ motivation. do I need to explain that?

Edited by halloween

So what's this all about? Why were they been taken from PhangNga to Songkhla?

To be sold to unscrupulous human traffickers.

Bite your tongue. The new regime professed its undying effort to eliminate this type of trafficking. The story will be revised to: "Some drunk ladies accidentally crawled into the back of truck and died from drinking too much alcohol while celebrating"... some lame holiday.

• Like 1

I thought the Supreme Leader said this was going to stop! Obviously someone didn't get the memo. I guess he will act all surprised when the US doesn't elevate Thailand's TIP status.

Didnt you read the OP, it really does pay to attempt to read and understand before having a kick.

They did stop this lot, things are now being done, tell us what went on before, I will tell you.

Some camps were set up under the auspices of the police and Govt officials to help the smugglers move their victims to the buyers, for a commission it would seem.

• Like 1

I'm sure Thailand could make a pretty good 4x400m Olympic relay team, with a little extra training for all these guys who flee from the police so well.

Before making such a silly assumption, you should take into account 2 factors;

1/ the fitness of the BIB. At 62, with 2 stuffed knees, I could outrun most BIB half my age.

2/ motivation. do I need to explain that?

Silly assumption, or tongue-in-cheek passing comment about how many guys actually get away doing a runner from the BIB??? w00t.gif

I thought the Supreme Leader said this was going to stop! Obviously someone didn't get the memo. I guess he will act all surprised when the US doesn't elevate Thailand's TIP status.

Didnt you read the OP, it really does pay to attempt to read and understand before having a kick.

They did stop this lot, things are now being done, tell us what went on before, I will tell you.

Some camps were set up under the auspices of the police and Govt officials to help the smugglers move their victims to the buyers, for a commission it would seem.

If he was as serious as he says he is, people would think a lot more about doing it. Until then, it's business as usual. Some time will go buy, the captured will escape or bail out, the victims will remain stateless and kept in deplorable conditions until the story dies down. Then, the process will continue. If they were to aggessively pursue TIP people as aggressively as they pursued the internet crimes, free speech, and the media, TIP would be drastically cut overnight. Until then, its more rhetoric to appease the masses.

• Like 1

Oh the irony!!

Europe are allowing in economical refugees by the truck-load, and meanwhile real refugees are dying in the back of pickup trucks in southern Thailand!!

Hope this poor woman finally found peace!!

• Like 2

Human trafficking is due to the fact the Police look the other way because there or getting paid big money I just came back from a trip to a town in Issan and was approach by a guy who ask if I wanted a girl from country close to Thailand I asked how she got here he replied ever week we bring them here you want a 18 or 19 year old I asked how are you able to do this his reply 80,0000. Bht per week to the Big Man I then reply thanks for asking but I don't want. I was surprised how open it was and it was not near the Bars just a regular street Go Figure now multiple this by 1000s

• Like 1

Human trafficking is due to the fact the Police look the other way because there or getting paid big money I just came back from a trip to a town in Issan and was approach by a guy who ask if I wanted a girl from country close to Thailand I asked how she got here he replied ever week we bring them here you want a 18 or 19 year old I asked how are you able to do this his reply 80,0000. Bht per week to the Big Man I then reply thanks for asking but I don't want. I was surprised how open it was and it was not near the Bars just a regular street Go Figure now multiple this by 1000s

That would have been nice to get on camera.

All this talk about human trafficking...but does anybody have any details. Thais are trafficking these Rohingya people for what purpose? What's the end result? What will the Rohingya end up doing at the end of a successful trafficking?

So are these all women taken to be sex slaves? The story says "five vehicles used to transport 98 Rohingya" Doesn't state if the 98 Rohingya are all women or not.

These poor people will end up in the hands of a gang master, working up to 15 hours a day, sharing a room with a hot bed, as one gets out one get in. that being a Matt on the floor. I do some Charity work in a hospital in Sahmut Sahkon. There are hundreds of Burmese, and Cambodians and a few other people from surrounding Country's , brought for a quick health check up before being put to work. They work In Fish factory s, Leather tanning Factory s, assemble Computers, work in the Red bull factory and many more.,

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

Everything seems to have a purpose

If their is a market

It will be someone to deliver it

If is illigal their will be always someone who will be paid to vlose eyes

Question is just in which leaque the games of dog, cat and mouse are playing

Thais are trafficking these Rohingya people for what purpose? What's the end result? What will the Rohingya end up doing at the end of a successful trafficking?

The Thais would likely sell them to Malaysian people smugglers. There is a court case against a Thai based Foreign journalist for reporting on it.

After that, presumably, sex slaves, maid slaves, etc. It's not likely to be pretty.

Speechless!sad.png

Really?

You weren't here when the Thai Navy took 1000 Rohingya men, women and children, placed them into boats, removed the engines, food and water, and then towed them out to sea, then when in the middle of the Indian Ocean they set them adrift to die?

Only happened in 2008/09.

And was done by the the Thai Navy.

A small number washed up in Indonesia.

I was.

Your point is?

Rohingya woman suffocates in migrant truck in Thailand

Bangkok, Thailand | AFP |

BANGKOK: -- A Rohingya woman has died after suffocating in a truck packed with migrants from the Myanmar Muslim minority group as they travelled through southern Thailand, police said Monday.

Authorities found five pickup trucks carrying nearly 100 Rohingya before dawn on Sunday in the Hua Sai district of Nakhon Si Thammarat province on the Gulf of Thailand.

"There were total 98 Rohingya. Of them, one woman aged around 20 years old died from suffocation while travelling," provincial police commander Kiattipong Khawsamang told AFP.

"The truck was crowded and she also had not eaten," Kiattipong said, adding the group was travelling from Phang Nga province on the western seaboard.

Two of the pickup drivers have been arrested on suspicion of people-trafficking, he added.

Thai authorities will now process the group to establish whether they were being trafficked by smugglers through Thailand.

Authorities have in recent weeks discovered scores of other migrants who fled dire conditions in Myanmar, taking advantage of the slightly calmer winter waters in the Andaman Sea to head south.

On January 5 police detained 53 migrants from Myanmar -- the majority of them Rohingya -- in Phang Nga province, a hub for boatpeople being transported on to mainly Muslim Malaysia.

Thousands of Rohingya have fled deadly communal unrest in Myanmar's Rakhine state since 2012.

Myanmar views its population of roughly 800,000 Rohingya -- described by the United Nations as one of the world's most persecuted minorities -- as illegal Bangladeshi immigrants and denies them citizenship.

Rights groups say the stateless migrants often fall into the hands of people-traffickers.

They have also criticised Thailand in the past for pushing boatloads of Rohingya entering Thai waters back out to sea and for holding migrants in overcrowded facilities.

Thailand said last year it was investigating allegations that some army officials in the kingdom were involved in the trafficking of Rohingya.

In June the United States dumped Thailand to the bottom of its list, or to "Tier 3", of countries accused of failing to tackle modern-day slavery.

Tens of thousands of the world's trafficking victims end up in Thailand as migrants from neighbouring countries "who are forced, coerced, or defrauded into labour or exploited in the sex trade", the US report found, singling out the Thai fishing industry as an area where abuses are particularly common.

The ruling junta says it has since taken significant steps to combat trafficking and the exploitation of migrants.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-01-12

A post containing content as well as a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com

In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.