What are your healthy foods for weight control issues and health in general?

Jingthing

OK, about this product:

attachicon.gifhersheyhiway.jpg

100 percent cacao

non-alkalized and unsweetened

gluten-free
kosher
Comes in re-sealable cans to help keep cocoa fresh
Dutched cocoa powder has a smoother taste but between 60 and 90 percent of the antioxidants (flavanols) are destroyed in the Dutching process (depending on degree of Dutching).
A more delicious way to get the health benefits of chocolate is to have a very small portion of high quality VERY DARK chocolate. It will still have a little butter ... but I think for many people that small portion would be OK.

Recent research indicates (-)-epicatechin flavonols in cocoa powder (published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition) significantly increases insulin sensitivity and glucose dispersal making our cells more efficient at processing glucose, allowing us to recover faster from intense workouts, build muscle more effectively, and limit the gain of unwanted body fat. Kuna Indians in Panama have low blood pressure, & many other health benefits from the home made cocoa drinks. http://www.medsci.org/v04p0053.htm

Other recent studies indicate (-)-epicatechin from cocoa powder improves memory but its hard to get enough of it in most cocoa products without getting too much of some other unhealthy components. Dutch process is too be avoided as it destroys the flavonols.

I will seriously look for the other cocoa power JT recommended instead of the Dutch stuff. I hope I can find it in Villa or Big C.

The pure stuff is definitely available in Tops (Central Fortune anyway). Personally I switched over to the Dutch style as the bitter stuff was a bit too bitter for my taste and I get tons of flavanols from all the tea I drink.

Dutch is inferior for sure but still has anti-oxidants. Up to 60% are destroyed but that still leaves a lot.

Thinking about body weight in general, you never hear of the 3 body types these days, as I understood it 30 years ago there were endomorphs, ectomorphs, and mesomorphs. For some reason we are all supposed to be one shape now as typically portrayed by the modern day footballer, slim with muscles. Obviously this is madness and must be a considerable demotivator for most anyone else.

I will seriously look for the other cocoa power JT recommended instead of the Dutch stuff. I hope I can find it in Villa or Big C.

The pure stuff is definitely available in Tops (Central Fortune anyway). Personally I switched over to the Dutch style as the bitter stuff was a bit too bitter for my taste and I get tons of flavanols from all the tea I drink.

Dutch is inferior for sure but still has anti-oxidants. Up to 60% are destroyed but that still leaves a lot.

Thinking about body weight in general, you never hear of the 3 body types these days, as I understood it 30 years ago there were endomorphs, ectomorphs, and mesomorphs. For some reason we are all supposed to be one shape now as typically portrayed by the modern day footballer, slim with muscles. Obviously this is madness and must be a considerable demotivator for most anyone else.

Ok this is a matter of taste so I could be totally wrong. I got the stuff JT is pushing (joke) and it tastes as good maybe better as the Dutch stuff. I drink tons of green tea too (made from hot tea not the stuff bought in the supermarket).

To be honest I think I eat pretty healthy if I keep up the juicing because I doubt that many people get so many vegetables in their diet and some that are absolutely disgusting (drinking down half a liter takes some effort)

The 3 body types are still as valid as before and there are many crossovers between them. I am a combination of ecto and meso i respond real well to weight training but not as good to cardio. Also getting into the low bodyfat numbers is harder for me as an ecto.

Having read quite a bit more recently about this and genetics I know more about what is possible. Personally I have more respect for a fat guy doing his exercise every day and eating healthy as for a adonis type guy with muscles bulging who does not even exercise and eats junkfood all day (yes its exaggerating but there are huge differences). Problem is you never know how much time and effort someone puts into it so we often judge on appearance.

I put quite a lot of effort in both training as my diet and it does show but I know that there are guys that can do the same with a fraction of the effort. Genetics are everything.. lance Armstrong would have excelled at many endurance sports but we would never have heard from him if he had started lifting weights.

lance was into kettle bells in a big way , he trained very hard on core muscles in the off season and was also a gifted triathlete as a teenager ...anything is possible if you turn your mind to it , regardless of body type ...

Ok this is a matter of taste so I could be totally wrong. I got the stuff JT is pushing (joke) and it tastes as good maybe better as the Dutch stuff. I drink tons of green tea too (made from hot tea not the stuff bought in the supermarket).

To be honest I think I eat pretty healthy if I keep up the juicing because I doubt that many people get so many vegetables in their diet and some that are absolutely disgusting (drinking down half a liter takes some effort)

The 3 body types are still as valid as before and there are many crossovers between them. I am a combination of ecto and meso i respond real well to weight training but not as good to cardio. Also getting into the low bodyfat numbers is harder for me as an ecto.

Having read quite a bit more recently about this and genetics I know more about what is possible. Personally I have more respect for a fat guy doing his exercise every day and eating healthy as for a adonis type guy with muscles bulging who does not even exercise and eats junkfood all day (yes its exaggerating but there are huge differences). Problem is you never know how much time and effort someone puts into it so we often judge on appearance.

I put quite a lot of effort in both training as my diet and it does show but I know that there are guys that can do the same with a fraction of the effort. Genetics are everything.. lance Armstrong would have excelled at many endurance sports but we would never have heard from him if he had started lifting weights.

Well, while I agree consider: the fat one who exercise every day and eating healthy won't be fat for a long time. And the adonis who doesn't exercise and eats junk food, may just not call it exercise to go surfing every day or dancing in the disco for 4 hours every day and his junk food might be not as bad as it seems.

Some may speak more about the exercise and diet than doing it, while others live healthy but don't think much about it.

Well, while I agree consider: the fat one who exercise every day and eating healthy won't be fat for a long time. And the adonis who doesn't exercise and eats junk food, may just not call it exercise to go surfing every day or dancing in the disco for 4 hours every day and his junk food might be not as bad as it seems.

Some may speak more about the exercise and diet than doing it, while others live healthy but don't think much about it.

Not completely true.. there are people who really don't exercise and have great muscle tone.. not from surfing (i count that as exercise dancing same thing). I have seen studies (thanks to the new books i read) About people being coached who never used weights before. Food intake was set by the coach (this was strict regulated) and so was all training supervised. This way everyone had to workout equally hard.

The amounts of muscle that people gained varied a lot and that was only based on genetics because everyone had proper meals (provided by the researchers and set for their body) and everyone was supervised did the same exercises (different weighs but same intensity like if you and i both workout with different weight but at the same intensity). So that showed how important genetics was.

This is ofcourse not an excuse not to exercise as EVERYONE who did so gained muscle and lost fat. The amounts just differed a lot even though they were all new to training and had proper meals and guidance in the gym.

Edited by robblok

lance was into kettle bells in a big way , he trained very hard on core muscles in the off season and was also a gifted triathlete as a teenager ...anything is possible if you turn your mind to it , regardless of body type ...

Not true.. lance could never ever gain muscle mass like bodybuilders.. same as that Arnold would never be able to bike like lance.

Within our given genetic range we can improve a lot but we are limited by those genetics.

I try and keep it simple and try for the following goals:

3 helpings of fruit

3 helpings of veggies

2 helpings of lean meat or fish

2 helpings of nuts or seeds

2 helpings of whole grains

2 helpings of dairy

No refined grains, sweets, fried foods, or fatty proteins.

Of course I do not achieve this every single day but I do OK overall.

Not completely true.. there are people who really don't exercise and have great muscle tone.. not from surfing (i count that as exercise dancing same thing). I have seen studies (thanks to the new books i read) About people being coached who never used weights before. Food intake was set by the coach (this was strict regulated) and so was all training supervised. This way everyone had to workout equally hard.

The amounts of muscle that people gained varied a lot and that was only based on genetics because everyone had proper meals (provided by the researchers and set for their body) and everyone was supervised did the same exercises (different weighs but same intensity like if you and i both workout with different weight but at the same intensity). So that showed how important genetics was.

This is ofcourse not an excuse not to exercise as EVERYONE who did so gained muscle and lost fat. The amounts just differed a lot even though they were all new to training and had proper meals and guidance in the gym.

I saw some who never exercised and have huge muscles, bodybuilder like. But they all have a big layer of fat. I can't recall ever seen someone who had low body fat, big muscles and being lazy and eating junk. Such people may exist but it is a big exception.

Not true.. lance could never ever gain muscle mass like bodybuilders.. same as that Arnold would never be able to bike like lance.

Within our given genetic range we can improve a lot but we are limited by those genetics.

Well who knows, maybe Lance has the genetic for both lots of muscles and endurance? (Or well in this comparison with Arnold a great genetic of his liver).

But kind of funny to compare Lance who did doping with Arnold who is known for using crazy amounts of steroids and known as dumbest bodybuilder around (if you understand German, you'll be surprised)

I saw some who never exercised and have huge muscles, bodybuilder like. But they all have a big layer of fat. I can't recall ever seen someone who had low body fat, big muscles and being lazy and eating junk. Such people may exist but it is a big exception.

I seen them.. but yes they are rare.

My point is we all have our limitations / gifts. Within that range we can improve (a lot) but to say that everyone has the same potential is crazy.

I could train as hard as lance armstrong (intensity wise) and never even get close. That is not because he trains harder.. its because his potential is different. Same goes for weightlifting, my arms are something a friend of mine is jealous about. He works his arms a lot harder as I do and still has less gains and smaller arms. I am just lucky with that part of my genetics.

That is why i prefer to look at effort instead of results when trying to judge someone.

I seen them.. but yes they are rare.

My point is we all have our limitations / gifts. Within that range we can improve (a lot) but to say that everyone has the same potential is crazy.

I could train as hard as lance armstrong (intensity wise) and never even get close. That is not because he trains harder.. its because his potential is different. Same goes for weightlifting, my arms are something a friend of mine is jealous about. He works his arms a lot harder as I do and still has less gains and smaller arms. I am just lucky with that part of my genetics.

That is why i prefer to look at effort instead of results when trying to judge someone.

Sure, yes only the gifted one can reach the top. If I want to look like a top professional bodybuilder I would fail miserable. But at failing so by having only half the muscles of them, I would be far ahead of all the gifted lazy ones. Or I would look like something like Bruce Lee. Well off target but still not bad.

The same counts for endurance, you might pedal 5 km/h slower than Lance but still faster than 99 % of the population.

I would say with a consistent (consistent over years) 1 hour per day and good diet, 99 % of the population will look good and fit, one may look muscular, one more like a runner but non will look like a fat pig.

If you put only 1 hour per week and half the diet comes from McDonalds than some will still look good, while other don't and getting worse with age.

The healthiest generation in UK was the ear generation who lived their formative years either side - say 30's to 40's. The common theme was limited food and more exercise. Thus in an accidental way each was in trim regardless of frame type.

Not on the German side. My father had to eat raw potatoes as source for Vitamin C :-(

my healthy foods that i eat everyday:

boiled egg on toast(no butter usually but sometimes put on toast)...or acidophulos yoghurt with banana or red grapes...black coffee or tea.

11am...vegie juice 500ml...carrots,beetroot,broccoli stem, and celery.

2pm. lunch,salad....usual lettuce,cucumber,tomato, sunflower sprouts,baby spinach leaves,fresh mint,sliced raw brussel sprouts.I then crush raw almonds,hazelnuts,pistachio nuts,walnuts and sprinkle over salad...this is my base.I add 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil and squeeze 1 lime and add its juice.Toss the whole bloody lot up and add the following alternating daily what i add.

(1) smoked salmon

(2) half an avocado

(3)tuna in spring water

(4)sardines in virgin olive oil

(5) falafel

(6)hommus

(7)fetta cheese or low fat white cheese 3% fat only.

(8) chicken breast cooked with a little coconut oil,sprinkle dried basil,oregano and thyme to flavour plus some sea salt.

Dinner i sometimes do a stock pot of vegies and steam fish with limes juice added plus fresh chili and garlic.

• Like 2

I'm surprised no one has mentioned millet and barley, both very good grains to eat, versatile (actually, easy to add to other dishes or as a substitute), and not too difficult to find - Foodland, eg. I've read that millet has everything that quinoa has, but at 1/20th the price.

I make a large batch in the pressure cooker, throwing in a bit of spice or slice of ginger, and add it to various dishes I prepare later in the week. ATM, I'm still experimenting with it, so recipes I've tried are limited.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned millet and barley, both very good grains to eat, versatile (actually, easy to add to other dishes or as a substitute), and not too difficult to find - Foodland, eg. I've read that millet has everything that quinoa has, but at 1/20th the price.

I make a large batch in the pressure cooker, throwing in a bit of spice or slice of ginger, and add it to various dishes I prepare later in the week. ATM, I'm still experimenting with it, so recipes I've tried are limited.

I use oats in my morning oatmeal, i have seen quinoa and did not feel the price was that crazy. But I never used it, currently my diet is healthy and full enough.

I think the juicer is really helping me a lot.. all I need to do is keep it up. Like with so many things in life consistency is key.

USA Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee has just announced it is backing off suggesting that traces of cholesterol in foods pose a health risk. I consider the USA committee conclusions to be ill-advised as critiqued in the following article and will continue to eliminate meat, dairy and eggs from my diet in favor of vegetables, fruit, fiber and certain spices as previously discussed.

http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/index.php/cholesterol-confusion-lets-make-sense-of-it/

USA Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee has just announced it is backing off suggesting that traces of cholesterol in foods pose a health risk. I consider the USA committee conclusions to be ill-advised as critiqued in the following article and will continue to eliminate meat, dairy and eggs from my diet in favor of vegetables, fruit, fiber and certain spices as previously discussed.

http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/index.php/cholesterol-confusion-lets-make-sense-of-it/

"So jump in. At the Physicians Committee, the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart Program starts fresh every single month"

Just another fanatics......

total garbage ......

• Like 1

I usually eat either fish or meat in at least three or four meals per week, so I'm not a vegan by any means, but I do look for recipes and food ideas through various websites, blogs and even youtube for ideas from those on a plant based, no added oil, low fat/high carb diet.

I've actually found a few simple, easy recipes that I enjoy and have added to my own repertoire of things to cook for the week ahead,

• Like 1

Something to consider.

FIBER.

A recent study shows that people who simply ate more fiber lost about as much weight as those who went on a complicated diet.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/02/the-skinny-grain/385708/?

Nice to know. i think that most people who go for unprocessed foods to live healthy automatically get those extra fibers. Fibers are everywhere in those unprocessed foods.

• Like 1

Something to consider.

FIBER.

A recent study shows that people who simply ate more fiber lost about as much weight as those who went on a complicated diet.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/02/the-skinny-grain/385708/?

Nice to know. i think that most people who go for unprocessed foods to live healthy automatically get those extra fibers. Fibers are everywhere in those unprocessed foods.

I think it goes hand in hand: If you eat high fiber you eat automatically unprocessed (or less processed). If you eat unprocessed you eat automatic more fiber.

(Beside some artificial fiber enhanced products.)

I have come to the conclusion we are what we are. I doubt food types play such a great part in overall health, genes first and then exercise. If food plays any part at all then it is about how much is eaten and what fibre it contained.

I don't really agree with that statement, though I do agree that genetics play a large part. A friend of mine who was skinny did gain substantial muscle when he added more food and training (only training did not work).

I have get in better shape on healthy foods as on processed foods (faster recovery times ect)

However genetics is real real real imporant... Yesterday was watching a movie guy was not really big but had real nice defenition on his arms. Would be almost impossible for me to reach though mine were bigger and more muscular. How your muscles form is genetics.. and not the exercise you do.

Friend of mine got a great back but almost never works on it.. i got huge biceps but almost never train them separate. Genetics... that friend can also drink loads of beer and stay lean.. not something i could do.

I have come to the conclusion we are what we are. I doubt food types play such a great part in overall health, genes first and then exercise. If food plays any part at all then it is about how much is eaten and what fibre it contained.

I don't really agree with that statement, though I do agree that genetics play a large part. A friend of mine who was skinny did gain substantial muscle when he added more food and training (only training did not work).

I have get in better shape on healthy foods as on processed foods (faster recovery times ect)

However genetics is real real real imporant... Yesterday was watching a movie guy was not really big but had real nice defenition on his arms. Would be almost impossible for me to reach though mine were bigger and more muscular. How your muscles form is genetics.. and not the exercise you do.

Friend of mine got a great back but almost never works on it.. i got huge biceps but almost never train them separate. Genetics... that friend can also drink loads of beer and stay lean.. not something i could do.

Well, you two speak about different things. He speaks about overall health, while you speak about a perfect body shape.

I think if you exclude the worst of food....Pizza Company, McDonalds, deep frozen microwave food etc etc. lets say take only food that was available 50 years ago. Don't overeat, do exercise.....lets say you make wood in the forest as job, or just herding sheeps. Than I am with mommysboy....doesn't matter too much what you eat. But it is so much of pre-conditions.....That I could also argue that it is wrong.

Mostly sitting in the office, having a not so good genetic (most are anyway neither gifted or total wracks), being lazy on exercises and Ronald McDonald is only a 4 digit phone call away, I could argue that the food is the most important thing.

If you eat your low fat Yoghurt with fresh fruits or the McFat menue with french fries and the big coke than food makes the big difference.

• Like 2

Let me qualify, I am just talking about general health. But I am literally saying you can eat anything providing you also eat high fibre foods. It us more important not to eat too much and do a modicum of exercise. I doubt that a full on healthy diet is that healthy. But anyway what ailments we suffer tend to be genetically driven.

Let me qualify, I am just talking about general health. But I am literally saying you can eat anything providing you also eat high fibre foods. It us more important not to eat too much and do a modicum of exercise. I doubt that a full on healthy diet is that healthy. But anyway what ailments we suffer tend to be genetically driven.

I think I can agree here tough there are some ailments that are caused by outside influences but much is of course based on our genetics. I do believe though that you can counter parts of it by eating healthy.

• Like 1