What are your healthy foods for weight control issues and health in general?

Jingthing

I usually eat either fish or meat in at least three or four meals per week, so I'm not a vegan by any means, but I do look for recipes and food ideas through various websites, blogs and even youtube for ideas from those on a plant based, no added oil, low fat/high carb diet.

I've actually found a few simple, easy recipes that I enjoy and have added to my own repertoire of things to cook for the week ahead,

I'm heading in a similar direction, having recently undergone an extensive angioplasty. I've bought the Esselstyn book, but skipped the propaganda and gone straight for the recipes. So I'm now in the process of getting geared towards a semi-vegan-cum-plant based diet - which means building up supplies of dips etc and things like veggie stock for flavouring.

Perhaps we could exchange ideas on cooking or other things related? Maybe if others like us want to get a thread going just for our own purposes, we could get something pinned? PM me anyone who is interested.

I usually eat either fish or meat in at least three or four meals per week, so I'm not a vegan by any means, but I do look for recipes and food ideas through various websites, blogs and even youtube for ideas from those on a plant based, no added oil, low fat/high carb diet.

I've actually found a few simple, easy recipes that I enjoy and have added to my own repertoire of things to cook for the week ahead,

I'm heading in a similar direction, having recently undergone an extensive angioplasty. I've bought the Esselstyn book, but skipped the propaganda and gone straight for the recipes. So I'm now in the process of getting geared towards a semi-vegan-cum-plant based diet - which means building up supplies of dips etc and things like veggie stock for flavouring.

Perhaps we could exchange ideas on cooking or other things related? Maybe if others like us want to get a thread going just for our own purposes, we could get something pinned? PM me anyone who is interested.

Maybe you should look into juicing its a good way to get a lot af veggies into a broth to drink. It wont be nice.. but its supposed to be healthy biggrin.png

Maybe you should look into juicing its a good way to get a lot af veggies into a broth to drink. It wont be nice.. but its supposed to be healthy biggrin.png

Ain't no stranger to juicing. But variety is the life of spice.

• Like 1

Well I could join you WitawatWatawit but I'm in Canada and only visit Thailand for a few weeks a year with my wife. If not living there, at least I'm fairly familiar with what foods are available since I've been visiting the country for near thirty years now.

I consider myself pretty lucky because even though I still eat the occasional meat, not only do I have internet access for going more towards a plant based diet, but I also have a great library system over here, where I can not only get books with all kinds of information, but usually they provide over a hundred recipes in the back of the book to go along with it.

Now you yourself are going to have to tackle which way you're going to proceed on this new eating lifestyle. It can be as boring or as interesting as you want it to be. Up to you.

You'll find some recipes work for you and some are a big fail, even when popular for others. That's been my own personal experience anyhow.

Additional research on chocolate indicates a lot of it is contaminated with lead (brain killer- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning) or cadmium (liver, kidney damage, etc- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_poisoning) for test results by brand see:

http://www.asyousow.org/our-work/environmental-health/toxic-enforcement/lead-and-cadmium-in-food/

Similar results at consumerlab.org. Recent big business responses to these test results is that cadmium, lead, etc. comes from the soil the plants are grown in, so its natural. Because industry won't clean up their act, chocolate is now off my menu.

Research documented at nutritionfacts.org indicates spices substantially boost the antioxidant value of most foods. I always find ways to add a little of the following to many meals: Cloves, All spice, Dried Lemonbalm, Cinnamon,Turmeric, Peppermint, Marjoram, Oregano, Ginger, Rosemary, Thyme, Cardamon, Black Pepper, Mustard Seed, Sage, etc. Black pepper makes Turmeric more bio-available. Black pepper combines with cardamon and blueberries as a cancer cell killer as does mustard seed powder with broccoli.

Although spice is easy to overlook, just a little added spice from those listed with meals can really boost the nutritional value of fruits & vegetables to exceed recommended daily levels of antioxidants, etc. Some tests rank certain spices a little higher than others but they are in the ballpark and here is one example: http://oracvalues.com/sort/orac-value

• Like 1

Research documented at nutritionfacts.org indicates spices substantially boost the antioxidant value of most foods. I always find ways to add a little of the following to many meals: Cloves, All spice, Dried Lemonbalm, Cinnamon,Turmeric, Peppermint, Marjoram, Oregano, Ginger, Rosemary, Thyme, Cardamon, Black Pepper, Mustard Seed, Sage, etc. Black pepper makes Turmeric more bio-available. Black pepper combines with cardamon and blueberries as a cancer cell killer as does mustard seed powder with broccoli.

Although spice is easy to overlook, just a little added spice from those listed with meals can really boost the nutritional value of fruits & vegetables to exceed recommended daily levels of antioxidants, etc. Some tests rank certain spices a little higher than others but they are in the ballpark and here is one example: http://oracvalues.com/sort/orac-value

Or eat 1000 mg Vitamin C tablet and you have antioxidants like a bucket full of spices

This news item came out on the BBC the other day.

Low-fat diet 'burns more fat', study finds

There are people over at Dr. McDougall's discussion board who have been doing much the same for many years, so yes, it can be done. Many of those participants have been obese or had health problems and they just don't want to go back to that again. For them it's an eating lifestyle of mostly whole grains, vegetables, legumes and fruit with no added oil.

With regard to food for dieting, most posters will be on pretty solid ground for recommending this food group over that, but surprisingly it isn't the case when suggesting foods for specific health issues, or indeed denigrating any one food.

Surprisingly, after all these decades, there isn't one reliable scientific paper. The problem is most studies are very small samples usually conducted on cohorts with existing problems, it's a big and often erroneous step to extrapolate that to healthy populations. So take salt for example, we might well see benefits of reducing salt on the salt sensitive people already presenting problems and then being subject to research, but this won't necessarily make a jot of difference to a wider group of people who are little effected.

I have probably stretched a point to make a point, but we must be very careful in assuming health benefits from the addition or subtraction of foods from our diets, especially when the good they bring might outweigh the harm. Take potatoes as an example, generally it is fair to say they get a rotten press on the health boards, but even a packet of well made crisps (chips USA) contains dietary fibre, minerals and vitamins and is obviously more pleasurable than a fistful of watercress.

With regard to food for dieting, most posters will be on pretty solid ground for recommending this food group over that, but surprisingly it isn't the case when suggesting foods for specific health issues, or indeed denigrating any one food.

Surprisingly, after all these decades, there isn't one reliable scientific paper. The problem is most studies are very small samples usually conducted on cohorts with existing problems, it's a big and often erroneous step to extrapolate that to healthy populations. So take salt for example, we might well see benefits of reducing salt on the salt sensitive people already presenting problems and then being subject to research, but this won't necessarily make a jot of difference to a wider group of people who are little effected.

I have probably stretched a point to make a point, but we must be very careful in assuming health benefits from the addition or subtraction of foods from our diets, especially when the good they bring might outweigh the harm. Take potatoes as an example, generally it is fair to say they get a rotten press on the health boards, but even a packet of well made crisps (chips USA) contains dietary fibre, minerals and vitamins and is obviously more pleasurable than a fistful of watercress.

Looking at Cronometer, I selected 454 g. as a unit of measure, which is close enough to one pound.

So you can either eat one pound of baked potatoes which is equal to 422 calories.

or

You can eat one pound of potato chips (crisps) salted and that's equivalent to 2477 calories.

I can easily go through a large bag of potato crisps as you call them, but how many baked potatoes can you eat before you feel stuffed.

Or eat 1000 mg Vitamin C tablet and you have antioxidants like a bucket full of spices

I also take 1000 mg daily via two 500 mg of the ascorbate form of Vitamin C (not ascorbic acid, the cheaper but less absorb-able form). I still like the variety of fruits, vegetables and spices that provide many more nutrients than vitamin c plus fiber. Dr. Blaylock mentions the Ascorbate form of Vit C in the following podcast and elsewhere in his series.

This podcast interests me because it discusses how to avoid getting aluminum in your brain that is associated with dementia, Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's, etc. One thing he mentions is that black tea takes in aluminum from the ground and green tea & white tea take in very little. Also that mixing lemon in tea makes any aluminum in tea 7 times more absorb-able which is to be avoided. So, I have taken black tea off my menu, but still drink green & white tea, but not with any lemon or other citrates.

Looking at Cronometer, I selected 454 g. as a unit of measure, which is close enough to one pound.

So you can either eat one pound of baked potatoes which is equal to 422 calories.

or

You can eat one pound of potato chips (crisps) salted and that's equivalent to 2477 calories.

I can easily go through a large bag of potato crisps as you call them, but how many baked potatoes can you eat before you feel stuffed.

Not sure what point you are making !! Good potato/Bad potato?

Obviously it is all in the cooking!

And then you have to exercise self control with snacks, or pick and choose your times.

Personally, I eat one baked potato with a main meal. And if I eat potato crisps I have them as a snack , and very nice they are too !.

I also take 1000 mg daily via two 500 mg of the ascorbate form of Vitamin C (not ascorbic acid, the cheaper but less absorb-able form). I still like the variety of fruits, vegetables and spices that provide many more nutrients than vitamin c plus fiber. Dr. Blaylock mentions the Ascorbate form of Vit C in the following podcast and elsewhere in his series.

This podcast interests me because it discusses how to avoid getting aluminum in your brain that is associated with dementia, Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's, etc. One thing he mentions is that black tea takes in aluminum from the ground and green tea & white tea take in very little. Also that mixing lemon in tea makes any aluminum in tea 7 times more absorb-able which is to be avoided. So, I have taken black tea off my menu, but still drink green & white tea, but not with any lemon or other citrates.

"One thing he mentions is that black tea takes in aluminum from the ground and green tea & white tea take in very little."

Can you check again? I though black tea is merely green tea that has been dried in a certain way.

Good tea/ Bad tea!

"One thing he mentions is that black tea takes in aluminum from the ground and green tea & white tea take in very little."

Can you check again? I though black tea is merely green tea that has been dried in a certain way.

Good tea/ Bad tea!

You are right. Dr Blaylock implies its two different tea plants but it appears black tea usually comes from the same plant but is just further processed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_tea

Since there are so many choices in food and drink, for now, I will eliminate the aluminum from tea risk by avoiding black tea because the aluminum found in some black tea may come from the processing instead of the plant. It may be like chocolate where some products have cadmium or lead and some don't. Also, because lemon or other citrates enhances the bodies absorption of any aluminum from tea, I probably won't be using lemon in any type of tea.

I drink a lot of water and ginseng tea. No alcohol or sugary drinks at all. All the foods listed above are great but portion control is the key and never eat an hour and a half before going to bed. Eat 6 small meals. I lost 35 lbs in three months by keeping calories under 1500 a day. Some exercise each day. I just walk for 45 minutes at s brisk pace.

Looks like processing black tea does provide opportunity to absorb aluminum from processing equipment. https://www.google.com/search?q=black+tea+processing&biw=1120&bih=613&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yzoEVbDbGeHnsATc9IHAAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

The closer to whole plant foods (little or no processing) the better.

Edited by ronz28

Looks like processing black tea does provide opportunity to absorb aluminum from processing equipment. https://www.google.com/search?q=black+tea+processing&biw=1120&bih=613&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yzoEVbDbGeHnsATc9IHAAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

I looked in to this closer. The aluminium is in the soil and is absorped by the tea plant, as it is with other leafy plants. I couldn't find a distinction between green and black tea.

The levels are thought not to be dangerous at all. Us Brits have been drinking the stuff for many centuries! If we suffer higher levels of associated illness, there's your answer. But as far as I know, tea is thought to be health protective.

If you give up tea, then it is also logical to take a look at leafy veg. too.

I am giving up black tea for now, but love organic green tea for its many benefits like antioxidants, etc. This morning I am having a breakfast of oatmeal & berries and later hope to have a dinner like oil free sweet potatoes+ broccoli, or rice & beans, etc. Whole food complex starches are a good thing but not the refined carbs in processed foods. Good tips on this from Dr. McDougall:

I looked in to this closer. The aluminium is in the soil and is absorped by the tea plant, as it is with other leafy plants. I couldn't find a distinction between green and black tea.

The levels are thought not to be dangerous at all. Us Brits have been drinking the stuff for many centuries! If we suffer higher levels of associated illness, there's your answer. But as far as I know, tea is thought to be health protective.

If you give up tea, then it is also logical to take a look at leafy veg. too.

yes but look at the Brit politicians......I see very heavy mental damages....

its quite simple and the fuss and complications people drum up.........oohhhfacepalm.gif dear

eat more green food than brown foodthumbsup.gif

learn to enjoy lightly cooked vegies with some lemon juice or some other non processed thing as a condimentbah.gif

look at what monkeys eat, we are just an advanced form of monkeyw00t.gif

I started juicing about ten days ago. The increase in energy levels is crazy. Also got into reading about all the benefits of the veggies that you can get here like bitter mellon...

Do an internet search on "three hundred pounds of joy blog" and you'll meet a guy who had a weight loss of around three hundred pounds by eating mainly a high starch, whole foods diet. Do a search on his site on "calorie density" and you'll see a great interpretation of how he uses it to find the foods he can eat. He never goes around hungry all the time, he doesn't count calories, he doesn't do portion control, but just eats until his stomach is reasonably full. In fact he says himself, that he's eating more food than he's ever eaten before, and still has lost the excess weight from his body.

Click on the 'Home" button on the top left hand corner of his website and it will take you to his newer blog.

OK, nothing really NEW in this, but some further confirmation of what I think most informed people understand currently:

http://theweek.com/articles/543775/quest-perfect-diet

"We should not be singling out particular components in food and vilifying them," says Catherine Collins, head dietitian at St. George's Hospital in London. "We should be promoting a balanced diet with a lot of variety, including some lean meat, fish, whole-grain cereals, fruit and vegetables, even a little wine if you like. Essentially, it's the Mediterranean diet.

• 2 weeks later...

Health Ranger is now disclosing heavy metal content of some Cacao products, but you have to give up your e-mail address to reveal some results of a limited number of products.

http://labs.naturalnews.com/heavy-metals-chart-Superfoods-Cacao.html

Based on my review of other test results at consumerlab.com on chocolate for high flavanols and very low cadmium levels, I am eating a couple of pieces of Baker's 100% Cacao Unsweetened Baking Chocolate Bar and I am in hog heaven.

Edited by ronz28