Wiring one's home for computer network

JohnnyJazz

And remember, internet speed has little to do with your intranet connections - it's the ISP service that will gate.

It is true if your only activity is to download information from the internet. But in what I call the "modern house" a lot of traffic is internal. Surveillance cameras, high definition entertainment systems, just to name two of the most bandwidth intensive applications, are some of the reasons why it is wise to wire your house.

It's true there are also wireless protocols that are becoming increasingly popular for house automation like Z-wave or Zigbee but they are for different type of application.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

Hmmm.!!! I thought that we were discussing a home system here. Now the talk is going to 20 hd cameras and airports. <deleted>?

This is a good site for reasonable and relevant discussions but spoilt by the few dickheads that repeatedly post crap and abuse. Not surprisingly it's the same select few that comment with irrelevant, useless and non-constructive comments that spoil it for the many on numerous occasions.

ADMIN ..... Why do you continue to tolerate these people. Are you not able to protect this site with pro-active action?

I have tried to offer the best advice possible. The idea is to let the OP know tne options and help him avoid the pitfals. Having said that it is only advice and he is free to accept it or ignore it as he seems fit.

From other resposes by the OP I believe he is quite capable of doing that and he already seems to have put a lot of thought in to this project.

My advice on Wi-Fi cameras stands I would not advise it. Also note that a wireless camera will require power so if you are going to run a power cable why not run an Ethernet cable and supply Power over Ethernet and at the sqame time increase reliability and security.

In a previous post the I believe the OP had expressed concern about using VLANS for security reasons. The only reason I mentioned airports was to reassure him that there is generaly considered to be no risk.

Good practice is good practice no matter if you have 5 or 5000 data outlets.

The use of VLANS over separate networks could be a money saver as it will potentially reduce the number of routers / switches and at the same time increase flexibility. The downside is that network configuration is more complex and suitable switches may be more costly.

The hardest part to plan for is future technology, especially as the Internet of Things and Home automation becomes more the norm. That is why in an early post I advised installing additional conduits in the walls with no cables at the p[resent. It makes future expansion much easier. It is always much easier.

Finally as one other poster has already pointed out. Internal traffic on the home network may be much greater than just the Internet pipe coming in to the house. For example I have a NAS which alows me to stream movies and other video entertainment to any room I may wish to view it in. Wif-Fi is not up to the job when Hi-definition movies are concerned. All movies that I aquire are ripped to the NAS and the original kept safe to avoid loss.

As I stated above, the above is just advice which the OP or others may choose to accept or ignore as they see fit and according to their circumstances and preferences.

Thailmite

• Like 2

My advice on Wi-Fi cameras stands I would not advise it. Also note that a wireless camera will require power so if you are going to run a power cable why not run an Ethernet cable and supply Power over Ethernet and at the sqame time increase reliability and security.

Fully agree with that !!!

In a previous post the I believe the OP had expressed concern about using VLANS for security reasons. The only reason I mentioned airports was to reassure him that there is generaly considered to be no risk.

Good practice is good practice no matter if you have 5 or 5000 data outlets.

The use of VLANS over separate networks could be a money saver as it will potentially reduce the number of routers / switches and at the same time increase flexibility. The downside is that network configuration is more complex and suitable switches may be more costly.

The hardest part to plan for is future technology, especially as the Internet of Things and Home automation becomes more the norm. That is why in an early post I advised installing additional conduits in the walls with no cables at the p[resent. It makes future expansion much easier. It is always much easier.

Finally as one other poster has already pointed out. Internal traffic on the home network may be much greater than just the Internet pipe coming in to the house. For example I have a NAS which alows me to stream movies and other video entertainment to any room I may wish to view it in. Wif-Fi is not up to the job when Hi-definition movies are concerned. All movies that I aquire are ripped to the NAS and the original kept safe to avoid loss.

As I stated above, the above is just advice which the OP or others may choose to accept or ignore as they see fit and according to their circumstances and preferences.

Thailmite

Thailmite please be assured that your advices are welcomed and very much appreciated.

• Like 1

Not attempting to dispute anything here except that putting "wires" and "future technology", even current technology, together just doesn't mix in my bowl. Check out Belkin as one wireless provider that says it can handle anything you throw at it.

• Like 1

I would liken hardwiring your home for a computer network as a backward step rather than an improvement. Likewise using a fixed line telephone in the home rather than a mobile device. Much the same as buying a new mobile device that does not have wifi or 3G (smartphone) capabilities. Even similar to taking out the electric windows on a car and substituting hand winders.

3 story house or not, it's rather irrelevant, it's a home. Technology and modern devices are rapidly moving towards a wifi only situation. Most consumer devices nowadays can only connect wirelessly. All wifi routers have some lan connections available for the odd items that need hardwire, such as a home surveillance system. Modern home surveillance only uses 1 internet connection for multiple cameras. Individual cameras connect back to the DVR using AV cable, once again; home systems.

Now if you are contemplating an Internet based business in a 3 storey building, that's another story. If staff have to be hired I would avoid wifi in the workplace.

I don't know for sure but as the op asked for advice on hardwiring his home for Internet connections .... It would suggest to me that he has little knowledge of the procedure. It could also suggest that he may have little or no knowledge of wifi and it's important role, not only in the home but with modern devices too. A hardwire only in the home (and I say again; home) is not going to be very practical at this point in time. In the future, it will be less so, if not totally redundant. Some wifi will for sure be needed now or in the near future. One wifi router plus one range booster will cover the largest of homes /gardens without any cables at all. All devices will be able to connect, without trailing leads. It's secure and faster than your isp speeds. For me .... It's a no brainier.

Edited by billphillips

I would liken hardwiring your home for a computer network as a backward step rather than an improvement. Likewise using a fixed line telephone in the home rather than a mobile device. Much the same as buying a new mobile device that does not have wifi or 3G (smartphone) capabilities. Even similar to taking out the electric windows on a car and substituting hand winders.

3 story house or not, it's rather irrelevant, it's a home. Technology and modern devices are rapidly moving towards a wifi only situation. Most consumer devices nowadays can only connect wirelessly. All wifi routers have some lan connections available for the odd items that need hardwire, such as a home surveillance system. Modern home surveillance only uses 1 internet connection for multiple cameras. Individual cameras connect back to the DVR using AV cable, once again; home systems.

Now if you are contemplating an Internet based business in a 3 storey building, that's another story. If staff have to be hired I would avoid wifi in the workplace.

I don't know for sure but as the op asked for advice on hardwiring his home for Internet connections .... It would suggest to me that he has little knowledge of the procedure. It could also suggest that he may have little or no knowledge of wifi and it's important role, not only in the home but with modern devices too. A hardwire only in the home (and I say again; home) is not going to be very practical at this point in time. In the future, it will be less so, if not totally redundant. Some wifi will for sure be needed now or in the near future. One wifi router plus one range booster will cover the largest of homes /gardens without any cables at all. All devices will be able to connect, without trailing leads. It's secure and faster than your isp speeds. For me .... It's a no brainier.

I don't think anyone here has yet recommended against Wi-Fi - there's simply no doubt you need it for mobile/portable devices, and absolutely, it's also sometimes more convenient and properly sufficient for many other devices too.

In short, this isn't an anti Wi-Fi thread from what I have read - but there is for sure some anti-Ethernet sentiment going on ;)

I'm the one who mentioned 20 IP Cameras, because that's what I actually have around my property - and that's not because I've over-cooked it, or I'm some sort of 'black helicopters nut' it's just what's needed to achieve proper external coverage around the 3 buildings that make up my house. 15/20 of them could indeed work over my 2 access point Wi-Fi coverage, but the other 5 are well and truly in Wi-Fi black-spots (without additional AP's just for them), so at planning stage, I had to make choices about how to design the system so it would work.

Given that these cameras all need power anyway, running just 5x cat6 cables and powering them with POE rather than running 2x cat6, 5x mains, and buying another 2x AP's was my idea of a no brainer ;)

It sounds to me like the OP has already been through these thought processes, and has already determined that some things, at least, in his network will be better serviced by Ethernet too. Without detailed floor / grounds plans, it's pretty hard for anyone of us on the internet to determine if that's right or wrong, but it sounds to me like he has a good grasp on the fundamentals, so if we're going to offer him valuable advice, we have to base them on his guidance, no?

^Agree. Well, except how can one be anti-Ethernet? It's been one of the few technological designs that has been there since day-1 relative to networking. But, when the OP asks about "future", I'm not so sure Ethernet will be a major factor in that. Current technology and future technology is wireless in my view.

• Like 1

^Agree. Well, except how can one be anti-Ethernet? It's been one of the few technological designs that has been there since day-1 relative to networking. But, when the OP asks about "future", I'm not so sure Ethernet will be a major factor in that. Current technology and future technology is wireless in my view.

In the broader context, copper and fibre aren't going anywhere - wireless is simply not a universal replacement for wired - but I'm sure that's not what you're talking about :)

But in the narrower context of a more typical house with some mobile devices, a TV & STB or two, a PC, and maybe one or two IP cameras, sure, WiFi is all that's needed in those cases. As soon as your system includes IP cameras with motion detection as a substitute for old school alarm systems, that changes it though.

When the next Tesla is born, and he figures out how to do Power Over WiFi, I'll be a happy man :)

People can sometime be a bit narrow minded. It's not because you don't personally need it that it is useless.

While some people may be happy to watch movies on their iPad, others have more sophisticated needs. Below are picture from the internet (google "home entertainment system") of home entertainment systems. And this is only to watch movies and listen to music ...

post-207807-0-77116300-1421539259_thumb.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

Thanks for the precious advises. And I may need more as things are getting more complicated ....

I'm now going room by room to show the electrician where I want the sockets. I'm happy (lucky ?) that he understands what I want to do. He has knowledge about ethernet cabling and surveillance cameras which helps a lot and even if what I ask him to do in the not the average house wiring the fact that he understands what I'm trying to achieve is really an advantage.

Basically there will be three networks in the house. A "standard" computer network, a home entertainment network and a security network. I want to have the security network physically separated from the other networks, which means more cables. As Cigar7 suggests, a 48 ports patch panel will be a minimum.

@ innerspace : I don't think a second patch panel will be needed. First I don't have the space for it, it's a residential place not an office building. The cable will not be that long anyway. And also for configuration and maintenance purpose, to have all the cables terminated in one place will make things easier. It's my opinion so far but I'm open to discussion

We have a two story house with LAN connections in every room, all of which end up in what was supposed to be the 'Maid's Room' where the switch, router, modem etc are located.

Same configuration for me

One thing to keep an eye on given that you are not running the cables yourself is that the installer understands how important long radius bends are in CAT cables and understands the importance of the connection to the sockets. (i.e. smallest amount of exposed wire possible). We found that a number of people are familiar with LAN cables but not with the importance of handling them properly. Another thing to consider is your security network. I'm not sure what you mean by that but in our experience a stand-alone (Bosch in our case) alarm and monitoring system is preferable to having your security running on a home network. It certainly can be done, but why not put it as a stand-alone? They work better, are professionally installed and, if you so desire, monitored although I think most people just route the alarm signals to their own phones and don't bother with paid monitors.

I don't like 3rd party solution for the same reason I don't like to rely on cloud storage or solution : companies get bankrupt or change business model all the time and if you rely on them for critical application then you are in deep sh_t.

I can't see any reason to separate your 'standard' network from your home entertainment network.

No intention to do so

One thing to consider is to install HDMI cables between rooms. Lots of them. With an HDMI outlet as well as a LAN outlet you have the flexibility of using LAN enabled streaming devices or, as we do, use an HDMI amplifier on the output of the dish receiver and just send the signal around the house that way.

Could you please give some more details about this application, it's not too late to add a few socket and cable if we have the use for it. But also for this kind of application don't you need to install CAT 7 cables ? and so far I haven't found anybody selling CAT 7 cable in Thailand

Using an amplifier allows you to have the maximum signal strength at the device input. It is a slightly better option than streaming the HD signals on a LAN cable as the electronics are simpler and you only need one amp. When I did this years ago (5) the signal amplifier was around 500 bucks but now I think same general one would be about 250 and they are plug in and forget. So easy for my poor old head to deal with. But of course if you wire with HDMI cables you are locked into the version/rev of what you put in. Mine are all rev 1.3 so I'm not able to take advantage of the rev 1.4 cable features but so far I see no need to. All I want is a 1080p signal at the input of the viewing device, whatever it is. By the way, these are the same type of amps that retail stores use for getting a picture to their display TVs and the quality certainly does not suffer from having a bunch of TVs on and using the same source.

Takes a bit of load off of the LAN, if that is an issue. Again, Somchai Electric and Dog Polishing co. probably are not familiar with routing such cables so care needs to be taken in selecting the people to do the install.

For two people we have a 20 port switch and it is about enough for us. But I'd consider that a minimum amount of ports and I'd suggest putting many more sockets than you ever think you will need into the system now while it's in it's embryo stage. Our 'computer area' has 3 sockets and should have had about 6. The kitchen has 2 sockets and should have had about 4, the living room has 2 sockets and should have had 4, the movie room has 2 sockets and should have had 4... it just adds up but maybe with more sockets you invent reasons to use them... who knows?

4 ports in the kitchen, what for ? I plan two as well, what do you need the additional 2 ports for ?

1 port for the i3 NUC that is the main kitchen computer, 1 for an IP camera, 1 for a Raspberry Pi that is being used as a time waster now after trying to use it to stream sound (no joy) and trying to use it as a client to the recipe database on one of the NASes. That didn't work out due tot he incredible slowness of the Pi, and the other port was to be for an IP radio/Speaker but now the music is covered by the NUC so I have to figure out something to plug into the spare LAN socket...

In any case good luck Thanks and hope your cables are ok.

(aside- we had two cables destroyed by the original installers... at least they replaced them.)

If you use NAS at all, they really should have 2 ports per device. I've got 2 QNAP NAS's and that is a total of 4 ports! But the difference in speed is worth it if you are moving large files.

By the way, these are LAN ports. I think someone may have been confused and thought I meant USB ports. The QNAPs can use port trunking to allow faster file transfers and it does make a difference.

SIDE NOTE

If your house is in a housing development be aware that a lot of houses have chambers, typically 1 foot t x 3 feet, that provide pathway from upper and lower floor. Typically for plumbing and wiring and electrical cable access. You may find that these are very opportune places to run the cables. It makes things much easier albeit does add a small amount of length to the cable run. They don't show up very well on any drawings or housing company brochures, but most of them have them.

People can sometime be a bit narrow minded. It's not because you don't personally need it that it is useless.

While some people may be happy to watch movies on their iPad, others have more sophisticated needs. Below are picture from the internet (google "home entertainment system") of home entertainment systems. And this is only to watch movies and listen to music ...

Yea, I understand the problem. It's difficult to decide when to bin the old kit especially when it's working ok. I would just hang on for a while longer. New technology comes along so quickly now. In a few more months something really interesting may turn up. Hell .... It wasn't so long ago that Google Chromecast was the big news .... that's even old hat now.

SIDE NOTE

If your house is in a housing development be aware that a lot of houses have chambers, typically 1 foot t x 3 feet, that provide pathway from upper and lower floor. Typically for plumbing and wiring and electrical cable access. You may find that these are very opportune places to run the cables. It makes things much easier albeit does add a small amount of length to the cable run. They don't show up very well on any drawings or housing company brochures, but most of them have them.

I found it yesterday. To be perfectly honest it's the electrician who showed me where it is. Unfortunately it is at the opposite side of the house compare to the small room where I planned to install the patch panel, switches, server, NAS, etc ... Time to think of a plan B. Flexibility is the name of the game when you do a house renovation.

Beside looking at the label on the box and the printing on the cable, is there any simple way to check if the cable used for the network is Cat6 ?

I had a look at the box in the electrician truck and it's a box of Cat 5E cable. He promised he won't use it for the house but the guy looks a bit tricky. I'm happy with all our workers , they do a great job so far. Unfortunately it's the electrician that causes me some worries. I already told our contractor that if I find out they don't use the specified cables, I will pull them out of the wall and throw the electricians out of the house. I did it in previous circumstances and will not hesitate to do it again if needed. It really pisses me off that it's for my personal pet project that I get the worst workers mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qsrqHQ4roTc

Beside looking at the label on the box and the printing on the cable, is there any simple way to check if the cable used for the network is Cat6 ?

I had a look at the box in the electrician truck and it's a box of Cat 5E cable. He promised he won't use it for the house but the guy looks a bit tricky. I'm happy with all our workers , they do a great job so far. Unfortunately it's the electrician that causes me some worries. I already told our contractor that if I find out they don't use the specified cables, I will pull them out of the wall and throw the electricians out of the house. I did it in previous circumstances and will not hesitate to do it again if needed. It really pisses me off that it's for my personal pet project that I get the worst workers mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qsrqHQ4roTc

There sure is :)

Cat6 has an X-shaped rubber molding in the middle, separating each pair - Cat5 doesn't:

cat53-vs-ca6.png

There sure is smile.png

Cat6 has an X-shaped rubber molding in the middle, separating each pair - Cat5 doesn't:

cat53-vs-ca6.png

More to the point if I was paying a professional installer to install CAT6 cable I would expect him to have some form of test gear to verify it is correctly done, and I don't mean a continuity tester.

Well installed CAT5E is preferable tyo badly installed CAT6 any day. A basic connectivity test will also not show problems that could result in many dropped packets and retransmissions.

I haven't used Ethernet for around 12 years, Why would I ? WiFi is so reliable and secure these days. It's also simple to install and gives good coverage not only throughout the house but into the garden as well. It's easy for visiting friends to gain access to quickly. You can't connect smartphones and tablets to Ethernet, only old style "box" pc's I can't imagine lugging a full pc around the house with me but if I were to, I would fit a wifi card to that as well. If the house is too big you can always use an Ethernet cable to link 2 wifi routers together but better still you can install a wireless signal repeater / booster. The result would be a great and fully practical system without the clutter and hassle of wires trailing from the wall to your pc. In my opinion, Ethernet alone is not a fully practical option for the home in 2015.

Edit ....

I would go so far as to say; Ethernet has no place in a modern home. It sure doesn't in my home and I can't think why I would need it at all (Purely my humble opinion, of course).

Beat me to it. I built a large 2 story home more than 10 years ago and tediously wired everything for ethernet. I no longer use any of it.

(Before I forget, you don't need a patch panel for ethernet in a home. A patched panel still requires a switch(s) and if they are in a cabinet(s) you can deal with any broken cables.) Also people talked about routing wiring. Don't run a bunch of ethernet cable in a bundle parallel to each other. They will cross-talk.)

Most new standard priced printers have a wireless option. Mine does and I love it. Put it anywhere I have power. Most cameras and other things do. You can put an inexpensive wireless network card and driver in a desktop and wire it no more. All of the hand held toys including laptops have wireless.

You can place a repeater in the house if the wireless signal strength gets low in some area from going through walls and ceilings. Everything wireless is cheap right now and I have 100% uptime on all of it.

It is going to be cheaper, more modern and more flexible with wireless. By the time you put in cat 6 they'll be out with cat 7, LOL and you can't upgrade.

Don't forget that your home wireless is faster than your ISP unless you have unreal blazing fibre optic and even then wireless in your house is fast enough.

Please take me seriously. Ethernet is yesterday for home use.

• Like 1

I haven't used Ethernet for around 12 years, Why would I ? WiFi is so reliable and secure these days. It's also simple to install and gives good coverage not only throughout the house but into the garden as well. It's easy for visiting friends to gain access to quickly. You can't connect smartphones and tablets to Ethernet, only old style "box" pc's I can't imagine lugging a full pc around the house with me but if I were to, I would fit a wifi card to that as well. If the house is too big you can always use an Ethernet cable to link 2 wifi routers together but better still you can install a wireless signal repeater / booster. The result would be a great and fully practical system without the clutter and hassle of wires trailing from the wall to your pc. In my opinion, Ethernet alone is not a fully practical option for the home in 2015.

Edit ....

I would go so far as to say; Ethernet has no place in a modern home. It sure doesn't in my home and I can't think why I would need it at all (Purely my humble opinion, of course).

Beat me to it. I built a large 2 story home more than 10 years ago and tediously wired everything for ethernet. I no longer use any of it.

(Before I forget, you don't need a patch panel for ethernet in a home. A patched panel still requires a switch(s) and if they are in a cabinet(s) you can deal with any broken cables.) Also people talked about routing wiring. Don't run a bunch of ethernet cable in a bundle parallel to each other. They will cross-talk.)

Most new standard priced printers have a wireless option. Mine does and I love it. Put it anywhere I have power. Most cameras and other things do. You can put an inexpensive wireless network card and driver in a desktop and wire it no more. All of the hand held toys including laptops have wireless.

You can place a repeater in the house if the wireless signal strength gets low in some area from going through walls and ceilings. Everything wireless is cheap right now and I have 100% uptime on all of it.

It is going to be cheaper, more modern and more flexible with wireless. By the time you put in cat 6 they'll be out with cat 7, LOL and you can't upgrade.

Don't forget that your home wireless is faster than your ISP unless you have unreal blazing fibre optic and even then wireless in your house is fast enough.

The fact you're talking about ISP and standard priced printer shows you don't understand the problem at hand. I appreciate that you are willing to help but we are not talking about the same things.

Don't run a bunch of ethernet cable in a bundle parallel to each other. They will cross-talk.)

Incorrect

Multiple Ethernet cables can be run together with no problem. The problem is when you bundle them with power lines for more than a short distance.

• Like 1

I noticed somewhere on this thread that 4 Ethernet points in the kitchen were recommended !!!

I'm so sorry and stupid by not understanding all of this. What on earth would anyone do with the need for four points in a home kitchen?

I don't think I would need any, surely this would be a prime area for wifi.

Anyway it seems that your project is well under way and I wish you luck with it.

Don't run a bunch of ethernet cable in a bundle parallel to each other. They will cross-talk.)

Incorrect

Multiple Ethernet cables can be run together with no problem. The problem is when you bundle them with power lines for more than a short distance.

Power cables run with ethernet is a problem. So is what I said. This is why the twisted pairs in an ethernet cable have different twist rates. But....

"If you strip back a twisted pair cable of a Cat5e and a Cat6 Ethernet cable, you will notice that each pair has a different twist rate. These twists help reduce the rate of interference between each pair of wires. When multiple cables run parallel to each other, all pairs of the same color will have identical twist rates. When the cables are energized to 10 GB/s frequencies, the pairs might interfere with each other and produce cross-talk. At this time, there is no software remedy for this situation and we must therefore rely solely on the cable design and implementation."

How to Avoid Crosstalk in Cat.6 Cable

Edited by NeverSure

).

The fact you're talking about ISP and standard priced printer shows you don't understand the problem at hand. I appreciate that you are willing to help but we are not talking about the same things.

Of course we're talking about the same things.

There is no reason not to install wireless with repeaters where needed. Repeaters have ethernet ports and can be used for anything that isn't wireless.

Desktops can be converted to wireless easily for about $15.

The nice thing about wireless is that it can be upgraded when standards improve significantly without digging into the walls.

It isn't practical to embed an ethernet system in a home when it will be obsolete in less than 10 years.

Incorrect

Power cables run with ethernet is a problem. So is what I said. This is why the twisted pairs in an ethernet cable have different twist rates. But....

"If you strip back a twisted pair cable of a Cat5e and a Cat6 Ethernet cable, you will notice that each pair has a different twist rate. These twists help reduce the rate of interference between each pair of wires. When multiple cables run parallel to each other, all pairs of the same color will have identical twist rates. When the cables are energized to 10 GB/s frequencies, the pairs might interfere with each other and produce cross-talk. At this time, there is no software remedy for this situation and we must therefore rely solely on the cable design and implementation."

Have a look at the video post #19. These people are professional and seem to know what they do, don't you think ?

Incorrect

The above is talking about crosstalk within the cable and certainly with CAT6 cable you should be careful not to untwist too much of the internal wire when terminating or you may get crosstalk at the termination.

One of the main differences bntween the various Ethernet cables Cat5, 5E,6,6a,7 etc) is the design and implementation of the twist to avoid crosstalk among the pairs within the cable.

After installing and terminating an Ethernet cable it should be tested using a proper tester. These tests include tests for crosstalk within the cable (NeXT and FeXT Near end and Far end Crosstalk) which may happen if the cable is poorly terminated.

On large installations it is common to have dozens of Ethernet cables lightly bundled running for many metres ln parallel. If this could not be done then it would make installing a network in commercial and public buildings almost impossible as there is usually very limited space in cable ducts and risers designated for such cables. However, as stated above these network cables should be kept at least 100mm (4 inches) from power or other high voltage cables whenever possible.

I built a large 2 story home more than 10 years ago and tediously wired everything for ethernet. I no longer use any of it.

Why ? Why did you wire your house 10 years ago ? Any specific project or just because it was the trend ? Do you mind giving us a short description of your network at the time, what was attached to it and what you thought will be the evolution of your network ?

It is not a tricky question. I have the support of a number of knowledgeable people in this project but you seem to have done it before and clearly you think it was useless. I just try to understand what you wanted to achieve because as I said I've the feeling we are not talking about the same thing.

Edited by JohnnyJazz
  • Like 1

I like to compare the current house evolution to the evolution of the car. In the "old time" you used a handle to open your window. Now from the driver seat you can can open all windows with a push on a button. When I was a kid I used to use cigarette paper to ajust the rocker arms. Nowadays when you go to a maintenance centre the first thing the mechanic does is plug a computer to know your car full history since your last visit. On your dashboard you have information and warnings about every part of your car. It is possible because your car is totally wired with sensors in every critical part. We are doing the same with the modern house. That's why we need so many cables.

Now a last question. Is it really necessary ? Not really. But would you buy a car without electric windows ?

Not exactly correct....the evolution of the internet and LAN has progressed from wired to wireless.

I built a large 2 story home more than 10 years ago and tediously wired everything for ethernet. I no longer use any of it.

Why ? Why did you wire your house 10 years ago ? Any specific project or just because it was the trend ? Do you mind giving us a short description of your network at the time, what was attached to it and what you thought will be the evolution of your network ?

It is not a tricky question. I have the support of a number of knowledgeable people in this project but you seem to have done it before and clearly you think it was useless. I just try to understand what you wanted to achieve because as I said I've the feeling we are not talking about the same thing.

EVERYTHING you can imagine for your home can be taken care of with minimal LAN connections. One or 2 connections placed in the center of each floor would be enough. At those points a wireless access device and small hub would be more than efficient. LANs and networks have changed from wired to wireless. Remember this is for a home and not a big business or company. You will have very limited numbers of people on your network vs a business where there are multiple users and TBs of data being accessed and processed at a time. A NAS device for movies would be attached to your media box or a port on a hub. Your issue will be proper network software setup and operation.

Security is just as secure in a wireless environment vs wired. Again is software that controls this.

Again remember this is home and this is more for media than anything. Every device you have mentioned you will be using can be connected wireless.

Information technology is moving from wired to wireless. You seem to be moving in the opposite way. Before you make up this plan probably be a good idea the determine in writing what your IT needs are. You need to know exactly what hardware and equipment you will using in your home. You need to know what each piece of equipment has in terms of hardware and software capabilities. Be very specific with your needs. THEN, you can decide what your home network will be built on. I guarantee if you do all this correctly you will see you dont need all the items people are recommending. Most of the recommendations are for big networks and not simple home ones. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID the KISS principle, is always better.

If you use 3mp IP dual channel cameras, and run them at the best quality, even at variable bit rate transmission using h.264 compression, each camera can put up to 10mb load onto the network, especially if both sound and video are recorded and simultaneously viewed in real-time. This is based on my actual experience, not a theoretical calculation. 4 dual channel cameras in total, 2 at 3mp and 2 at 1.3mp, maximum quality video, no sound, occupied just over 40mb bandwidth.

Of course if the cameras are higher spec, more bandwidth will be required. A higher spec. means using 3 or 4 channels cameras at 3mp, or using higher than 3mp cameras.