Middlemen keeping fresh food prices high despite lower oil prices

webfact

Aldi doesn't import everything, they just go to the biggest factory and make a megadeal for a low price. No commercials, no personell to unpack boxes, no free coffee in the shop just large volumes.

In Thailand there is far too much personell in the shops which makes it expensive as well. Also they don't try to sell the old products first so end up with old stock.

Bakery's in Thailand (like S&P) sell the same bread for 3 days in row and still call it fresh.

At the cashiers there is so much crap going on with creditcards, airmiles, coupons, bonuscards and whatever that they need extra personell for all that bull.

Things don't go efficient at all here and the consumer pays the price for that.

These days the banana's in Europe (yes imported) are even cheaper then here in Bangkok. wai2.gif

• Like 1

A few families with conglomerates like CP, Saha, Thaibev, etc. control the market from animal food to processed meat and from seeds to products in the shop and the market.

They also control the government, civil servants, etc. They keep any competitor out, dictate the prices and that's why they make huge amounts of money.

The past few years the price increases have been much faster than before and this elite group is robbing the lower and middle class people completely dry.

It's ridiculous that in a low wage country like Thailand, one of the worlds biggest food exporters the food prices are now at a western European level, it's pure exploitation by these about 20 families that run the show.

In the past year many of my daily expenses like lunch, coffee, fruit, beer, pork etc have all gone up by 25%!

Ya, it's awful.

Restaurant Prices in Thailand are 63.46% lower than in Germany

Restaurant Prices in France are 260.09% higher than in Thailand

Restaurant Prices in Belgium are 279.31% higher than in Thailand

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Belgium

In Western country's you get a decent sized meal, here it is the size of a starter. Have you ever eaten a good steak in Thailand for a good price? I bet not!

What a dumb comparison is this.

And it's not only the size of the meal, also the quality is a lot different. The table, chair, cutlery here is all of cheap chinese quality, the waiters are totally untrained (even in 5 star hotels)...you can't compare the West with Thailand.

I'm sure the Numbeo website is aware of the differences but if not why don't you post a site that is better? Is there none? Ho no! A good opportunity for a new website if the existing ones are all wrong and you are the only ones who are correct.

Is it really a dumb comparison? Do Thai people eat beef steak? Do European people eat shredded not ripe mango with peppers and rotten river crab? No! What a surprise.

I can compare the West with Thailand because I know what I'm talking about and the Hilton in Pattaya offers great food and service as does the Fuji in Rayong and hundreds of other restaurants. I know I live here and have for many years. I don't eat like an overweight person and I don't need giant portions. I'm not obese.

I invite you to post another site that has better information than I did. But don't give me the anecdotal nonsense of another Thai basher newby to Thailand.

Edited by thailiketoo

Time for the Aldi to come to Thailand, everything will be affordable and from a good quality. Thai will all love it!

So you moved to Thailand to shop at Aldi??

Hell no!!

If you guys left your ghettos once in a while and went to the local fresh markets: Plenty of cheap/exotic produce, genuine Thai atmosphere and in general a lot of friendly people!!

That is Thailand!!

and genuine food poisoning with exotic bacterias

Rubbish,38 years and still no diarrhoea, but you get me close sometimes.

A few families with conglomerates like CP, Saha, Thaibev, etc. control the market from animal food to processed meat and from seeds to products in the shop and the market.

They also control the government, civil servants, etc. They keep any competitor out, dictate the prices and that's why they make huge amounts of money.

The past few years the price increases have been much faster than before and this elite group is robbing the lower and middle class people completely dry.

It's ridiculous that in a low wage country like Thailand, one of the worlds biggest food exporters the food prices are now at a western European level, it's pure exploitation by these about 20 families that run the show.

In the past year many of my daily expenses like lunch, coffee, fruit, beer, pork etc have all gone up by 25%!

EXACTLY!!

It is ridiculous as well as disgusting.

and yet there are so many people who want to ignore these facts - and indeed try and prove that these facts are irrelevant.

i can understand poorly educated people having poor opinions.

if it was clean here i doubt it would even matter that prices have increased, but quality of life & products has dropped, HARD.

the ONLY things still cheap here are pretty much garbage!

and the customer 'service' here has only gone from terrible to offensively terrible - is that due to all the amazing graduates??

My doctor and vet both make house calls. My bank is open at nights and on the weekends. I can buy prescription meds at the pharmacy and get them delivered to my door for a fraction of Western prices and with no prescription.

I live in a high tech house with large screen TV awesome sound system (all interconnected) Satellite, new tablet and smart phone beautiful women and everything I could ever want and I'm living on Social Security. I eat out whenever and wherever I want. I'm sorry you don't live in Thailand but don't try and fabricate bad stuff because most of us living here are in fat city for peanuts. Oops there is the doorbell (it plays Clementine) my Teuscher chocolates fresh of course.

Swings and roundabouts,but i know where i'm better off,somtam every day.

Time for the Aldi to come to Thailand, everything will be affordable and from a good quality. Thai will all love it!

Hell no!!

If you guys left your ghettos once in a while and went to the local fresh markets: Plenty of cheap/exotic produce, genuine Thai atmosphere and in general a lot of friendly people!!

That is Thailand!!

My stomach has adjusted!!

BTW last time I got sick from food was in a high-end expensive Swedish owned restaurant having a steak imported from Australia.............................

Just saying.............whistling.gif

I had over the years several food poisening, but only in 4* + Hotels from Breakfast buffets, never on a street kitchen.

• Like 1

Most middlemen are not Thai:

Tesco = British

Tops = Dutch

Villa = Farang

etc etc.

Any company that operates in Thailand must be at least 51% Thai!

And actually, the companies you listed are not middlemen but are instead consumer sales outlets.

I suggest you take a closer look at the share structures of Tesco, Big C and Tops, as it will learn you that actually all three are majority foreign owned.

Villa Market is Thai owned by the way.

Hell no!!

That is Thailand!!

My stomach has adjusted!!

BTW last time I got sick from food was in a high-end expensive Swedish owned restaurant having a steak imported from Australia.............................

Just saying.............whistling.gif

seems there is a love relationship in Thailand with out of date food, I am always finding it at the 7/11 shops etc and the fact that a lot of places defrost then refreeze food repeatedly rather than have to throw it out doesnt help. Fresh is great when you want it but there are some things you cannot get at the markets plus I am loathe to buy meat etc that is sitting in the sun with blow flies all over it

Don't worry you have just to cook it properly inclusive the worm is just some extra protein for free. whistling.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

and Walmart and Target. Shake things up with more competition.

Before Aldi came to USA, Walmart was much more expensive, they are now under pressure by Aldi, now is a free market not like before.

• Like 1

Most middlemen are not Thai:

Tesco = British

Tops = Dutch

Villa = Farang

etc etc.

Any company that operates in Thailand must be at least 51% Thai!

And actually, the companies you listed are not middlemen but are instead consumer sales outlets.

You are right, but the 51% thai owned are also a problem about pricing, caused the farang owner don't like to loose profit on this 51% means he add it and somethings more, caused it's a free market. clap2.gifpassifier.gifsick.gifpost-4641-1156693976.gif

farmers coops have been an effective tool against the middlemans excessive profit in many countries. its does not require a whole lot of cooperation between the farmers and the retail shopsfor much of the farm products. Thailand even has middlemen directly involved between the farmer and some of the wholesalers.

Does anybody know of any collectives? I suspect that being a leader/representative of a farmers collective (which are good for many reasons), working to cut out the middlemen, would be a very unhealthy occupation.

Try to found a cooperartive for example for rice or rubber locally.

I have doubts you will survive this attempt more as 1 week. whistling.gif

Many things are cheaper in Europe than in Thailand now. Can somebody explain why this is when tax is only 7% here and in EU approximately 20-25% ?

I germany are different VAT on food the general VAT is 19% on all other products.

Fore example:

Eating in a restaurant + 19%

Take away + 7%

Some food 7% some 19% just a crazy system without logic.

http://www.dehoga-hamburg.de/userfiles/file/Mehrwertsteuerkarte%20Europa_100701%20(1).pdf

Many things are cheaper in Europe than in Thailand now. Can somebody explain why this is when tax is only 7% here and in EU approximately 20-25% ?

Because they grow rubbertree's, oilpalms, rice, prawns,fish exotic fruit and that's all for export. Money talks.

And of course they protect their market and there is not enough competition. Europe also didn't have supermarkets 35 years ago.

Over 50 years ago. Aldi had in 1960 over 300 shop all over germany already.

Indices Difference information.png Consumer Prices in Thailand are 37.05% lower than in Germany Consumer Prices Including Rent in Thailand are 37.00% lower than in Germany Rent Prices in Thailand are 36.83% lower than in Germany Restaurant Prices in Thailand are 63.46% lower than in Germany Groceries Prices in Thailand are 15.59% lower than in Germany Local Purchasing Power in Thailand is 64.84% lower than in Germany Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre Germany 424.38 € Thailand 178.90 €

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Germany&country2=Thailand

You forgot to publish the average income, out of your statics. whistling.gif

PPL giving a damn about the recent currency courses THB - EU as long the gap between the incomes are so big.

Not the % difference counts, but amount of money in my pocket, I can spend after taxes.

Consumer all over the world are interested in these and not in bloody statistics. thumbsup.gif

Salaries And Financing (Germany) [Thailand] Average Monthly Disposable Salary (After Tax) 2,069.22 € 458.40 € -77.85 % Mortgage Interest Rate in Percentages (%), Yearly 3.06 6.14 +100.51 %

Ya, it's awful.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Belgium

And why is it in Thailand cheaper, caused of their low wages, below the average of your statistics .

EXACTLY!!

and yet there are so many people who want to ignore these facts - and indeed try and prove that these facts are irrelevant.

if it was clean here i doubt it would even matter that prices have increased, but quality of life & products has dropped, HARD.

and the customer 'service' here has only gone from terrible to offensively terrible - is that due to all the amazing graduates??

My doctor and vet both make house calls. My bank is open at nights and on the weekends. I can buy prescription meds at the pharmacy and get them delivered to my door for a fraction of Western prices and with no prescription.

I live in a high tech house with large screen TV awesome sound system (all interconnected) Satellite, new tablet and smart phone beautiful women and everything I could ever want and I'm living on Social Security. I eat out whenever and wherever I want. I'm sorry you don't live in Thailand but don't try and fabricate bad stuff because most of us living here are in fat city for peanuts. Oops there is the doorbell (it plays Clementine) my Teuscher chocolates fresh of course.

You should also keeping your focus on the different salaries.

Aldi doesn't import everything, they just go to the biggest factory and make a megadeal for a low price. No commercials, no personell to unpack boxes, no free coffee in the shop just large volumes.

In Thailand there is far too much personell in the shops which makes it expensive as well. Also they don't try to sell the old products first so end up with old stock.

Bakery's in Thailand (like S&P) sell the same bread for 3 days in row and still call it fresh.

At the cashiers there is so much crap going on with creditcards, airmiles, coupons, bonuscards and whatever that they need extra personell for all that bull.

Things don't go efficient at all here and the consumer pays the price for that.

These days the banana's in Europe (yes imported) are even cheaper then here in Bangkok. wai2.gif

I think you don't know what you talking about Aldi germany.

All normal staff having part time jobs around 20 hours/week but making paid overtime + 25% in top of the salary.

The wage is around 15€ Brutto + what the company hav to pay is around 20€/hour for social contribution.

Calculate a normal staff salary in Thailand 10 hours a day 6 days a week = 60 hours would be max 2500 THB per week.

In germany the same staff in Aldi with a 40 hours/week contract would costs the company for 60 hours 1300 Euro/week.

Thai's around 65€/ week mean 1 german staff costs the same as 20 Thai's.

With thai salary and rules we could hire 20 Thai's staff for 1 german staff without to increasing the costs.

About credit cards Aldi don't take cREDIT CARDS only german bank ATM cards means no losses for Aldi.

In germany in general you cannot buy Thai bananas except asia shops.

You should use a calculator. whistling.gifgiggle.gif

• Like 1

Ya, it's awful.

In Western country's you get a decent sized meal, here it is the size of a starter. Have you ever eaten a good steak in Thailand for a good price? I bet not!

And it's not only the size of the meal, also the quality is a lot different. The table, chair, cutlery here is all of cheap chinese quality, the waiters are totally untrained (even in 5 star hotels)...you can't compare the West with Thailand.

I'm sure the Numbeo website is aware of the differences but if not why don't you post a site that is better? Is there none? Ho no! A good opportunity for a new website if the existing ones are all wrong and you are the only ones who are correct.

Is it really a dumb comparison? Do Thai people eat beef steak? Do European people eat shredded not ripe mango with peppers and rotten river crab? No! What a surprise.

I can compare the West with Thailand because I know what I'm talking about and the Hilton in Pattaya offers great food and service as does the Fuji in Rayong and hundreds of other restaurants. I know I live here and have for many years. I don't eat like an overweight person and I don't need giant portions. I'm not obese.

I invite you to post another site that has better information than I did. But don't give me the anecdotal nonsense of another Thai basher newby to Thailand.

You like only pick the raisins out you should learn to read statistics use a calculator and compare everything in your statistics.

I don't need a website to see that foodportions are much bigger in Europe. cheesy.gif

Yes there is beef in Thai restaurants, have you never seen it?

Tesco is from CP now, Tops is from Central

After living in TH for 20 years i don't consider myself to be a newbe.wai2.gif

Ya, it's awful.

And why is it in Thailand cheaper, caused of their low wages, below the average of your statistics .

You don't know what statistics means in English. You are using the word incorrectly. Look it up; use the word correctly. If you want better information post a better website of your choosing. Simple anecdotal evidence from one or two posters as opposed to data derived from thousands does not really compare.

We go through this every time Western folk want to promote the West. First they say the West is cheaper and when that is proved wrong they say the West is better and when they can't find a link to demonstrate that is correct they attack the method of gathering data even though they have no idea what the method is.

It is the same nonsense over and over again. People from the West retire in Thailand because it is cheaper. Retired people from the West are not paid from working in Thailand and take advantage of lower wages in Thailand for doing the same work as the West for example doctors and waitresses.

Wages for doctors in Thailand are cheaper so my medical bills are less. Wages in Thailand are cheaper so my cost of service for preparation and serving food is less in Thailand than in the West. I understand this and that's why I live here. It's cheaper.

You post all night long because you don't live in Thailand and are not on Thai time. We all get that but your jealously is really showing through.

Edited by thailiketoo

Ya, it's awful.

You like only pick the raisins out you should learn to read statistics use a calculator and compare everything in your statistics.

sta·tis·tics
stəˈtistiks/
noun
noun: statistics
  1. the practice or science of collecting and analyzing numerical data in large quantities, especially for the purpose of inferring proportions in a whole from those in a representative sample.
    You are confusing the terms statistics and data/information.
    There is nothing wrong with statistical methods. If the data is wrong then the conclusions will be wrong. If you have a better website with better data feel to present it. However, your uneducated opinion is worthless except when considered as the opinion of one man living in Germany.

Hell no!!

That is Thailand!!

Do you want a Noddy badge for your day trip to the market. Cheap? If you're converting your forex perhaps.. for these people: '' Many families have now turned to ready-to-eat meals as fresh ingredients are too expensive.'' , maybe not so much.

• Like 1

farmers coops have been an effective tool against the middlemans excessive profit in many countries. its does not require a whole lot of cooperation between the farmers and the retail shopsfor much of the farm products. Thailand even has middlemen directly involved between the farmer and some of the wholesalers.

Does anybody know of any collectives? I suspect that being a leader/representative of a farmers collective (which are good for many reasons), working to cut out the middlemen, would be a very unhealthy occupation.

It would probably also require a basic education in mathematics and economics , and the Thai education system does not encourage this. Why do you think the Chinese middlemen educate their children in international schools or overseas?

Subsistence Sufficiency farming is one of the cornerstones of Thai Happiness. Let us not incite the masses to get educated...

Actually sufficiency farming if done as suggested by the king is a good idea. If you raise almost everything you eat then sell the excess instead of only one crop for sale then purchase everything else the farmers would be better off.

Also if they learned how to preserve their food for future use they would have more. I know they dry fish and some dry meat to save for the future but I don't see that going on with fruits or vegetables.

When i was a kid we raised apples that we froze for apple pies and made apple butter. We raised green beans, potatoes, cucumbers, strawberries pumpkins etc etc etc all of which we canned for the winter. if we had not raised and canned most of what we ate in the winter we would have starved.

There is no reason many thais that live in the country can't do the same.

Hell I am doing it some but not to the extent our family did when I was a kid but my kids are learning how to save money by doing it. For instance I just made a batch of pickled vegetables that my kids have started eating already. I make my own breakfast sausage for about 150 baht a kg instead of paying over 300 baht a kg in the store. I bake my own pizzas, bread, cakes, cookies and pies. I make chocolate deserts using cocoa powder. All of which I am teaching my kids to do also.

I can also confirm that in the last month the amount I am paid by the middleman for my produce has dropped by 25% but I attribute that to seasonal price fluctuations. I have no idea what the price the middleman sells at so I don't know if he uses the seasonal price fluctuations to make more money or not. Many times I use the prices at Makro to gauge if the price he pays me will go up or down and most of the time it matches fairly well.

• Like 1

EXACTLY!!

Ignorance IS bliss, but only for the ignorant.

the rest of us are sickened by you & your ignorant outlook & opinions that affect us all living here.

I am curious how his opinions affect the rest of us that live here?

His opinions do not affect me at all.

It looks to me like he has a good point. His social security benefits provide him with a much better life than can be had in the USA for the same amount of money. In my experience my total monthly expenditure is about the same as what rent on a 2 bedroom house would be and I have 2 teenagers. We aren't living a luxurious life like he is but it is much better than it would be in the USA.

• Like 2

Big supermarket chains are the villain wherever you are. The big 4 in Britain pay UK farmers 2p per pound for new potatoes. Dairy farmers receive so little for their milk they barely break even. Hovis to be allowed to supply ready made loaves to Tesco receive a token 1p per pallet for the flour Tesco use in their instore bakery. The consumer still pays sky high prices and yet a former Tesco chairman responsible for the massive mark up between farm gate and outlet was hailed a retail hero by politicians and knighted. Greedy food retailers could slash their prices, pay the producer more and still turn a good profit.

I don't need a website to see that foodportions are much bigger in Europe. cheesy.gif

Yes there is beef in Thai restaurants, have you never seen it?

Tesco is from CP now, Tops is from Central

After living in TH for 20 years i don't consider myself to be a newbe.wai2.gif

After living in Thailand for 20 years you still seem to be a newbie, since you are very ill informed.

CP sold all it's shares in Tesco Lotus to Ekchai distribution, which is 100% owned by Tesco Thailand and Tesco UK through different share constructions, long time ago

Central sold all its shares in Tops to Royal Ahold of the Netherlands in 1998.

Edited by Anthony5

Currency strength (THB) and weakness (EUR).

This is only a part of the reason.

And what are the other parts or are they secret!

Ya, it's awful.

You don't know what statistics means in English. You are using the word incorrectly. Look it up; use the word correctly. If you want better information post a better website of your choosing. Simple anecdotal evidence from one or two posters as opposed to data derived from thousands does not really compare.

We go through this every time Western folk want to promote the West. First they say the West is cheaper and when that is proved wrong they say the West is better and when they can't find a link to demonstrate that is correct they attack the method of gathering data even though they have no idea what the method is.

It is the same nonsense over and over again. People from the West retire in Thailand because it is cheaper. Retired people from the West are not paid from working in Thailand and take advantage of lower wages in Thailand for doing the same work as the West for example doctors and waitresses.

Wages for doctors in Thailand are cheaper so my medical bills are less. Wages in Thailand are cheaper so my cost of service for preparation and serving food is less in Thailand than in the West. I understand this and that's why I live here. It's cheaper.

You post all night long because you don't live in Thailand and are not on Thai time. We all get that but your jealously is really showing through.

Stick to the facts.