Phuket road hole that killed little Molly now fixed

webfact

Phuket road hole that killed little Molly now fixed
Eakkapop Thongtub

1421032190_1-org.jpg
The repaired road. Inset, crash victim Molly Bailey.

PHUKET: -- The huge hole in a back road near the Bang Jo Prison has now been fixed – but only after it killed eight-year-old Molly Bailey.

Heavy rain on November 9 last year eroded the road, causing parts to collapse and eventually sweeping away a section eight metres long across the width of the road, and some two metres deep.

Despite people falling into the hole and lobbying by local residents, the Srisoonthorn Municipality said it had no funds to fix the road.

It appears that the death of Molly Bailey – when her mother drove into the hole, which was not properly marked – has sparked the municipality to find the money and rush to fix the road.

The repair was completed and the road reopened on Thursday (January 8), three days after the funeral for Molly was held in England.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-road-hole-that-killed-little-molly-now-fixed-50499.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-01-12

I find it hard to fathom that Phuket doesn't have an emergency fund for things like this.

Forget the local municipality that's riddled with corruption but the governor of greater Phuket should have a fund for such occurrences.

Sad that it took the media attention, not the death to get this fixed.

• Like 1

It took a death to get it fixed. Sometimes I really hate this place.coffee1.gif

Yes, no seatbelt. She was lying in the front seat, with the back down and was asleep.sad.png

Again sad - MInimum should have a belt on and, according to the latest directives from UK/AUS/Scandanavia, should still be in a booster seat type restraint.

What a very sad story!

My God, it took them over a year to suddenly repair it?

Why?.....because the mother/family could sue the pant's off them.

Yes, she should have been in a seat belt, or restraint.

RIP Molly.

Perhaps they could name the site after this poor child, as it was only her death that got this section of road fixed.

Something like, "Molly's Crossing" or "Molly's Bridge."

Disgraceful the way the money suddenly appeared, and by the look of the photo, it wasn't an expensive project to complete.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 2

OMG what a cute little girl. Her sad passing is due to the huge expense of a truck load of dirt and a truck load of cement??? Phuket administrators you should hang your heads in shame. You more than likely take more out of the money trough in a morning than the repairs cost. I hope the parents do sue you and do so individually. Take each of you to court as individuals that contibuted to her death and get all your ill gotten money off you. You disgust me

• Like 1

Parents that don't seat belt their kids, or enforce wearing a helmet can never seem to accept responsibility for their actions. It's a sad world we live in. The local municipality can't accept responsibility for the condition of the roads either. Nowadays nobody feels responsible for anything, pass the buck generation I guess.

• Like 2

Phuket is a bad joke.

It's not even funny anymore. The island is awash with money. If they wanted they only had to ask the taxi mafia for funds.

The "joke" is not set to end anytime soon.

With the greed and corruption here, every inhabitant on Phuket will not be receiving the proper infastructure that the appropriate funds SHOULD be used for.

That's roads, water and electricity supply, sewer treatment, rubbish removal, public transport etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...