Why motorhomes are not popular in Thailand?

umbanda

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever driven over half the roads here? best of luck in a large motorhomesmile.png

The roads you drive to camp are always remote and seldom first rate that's what they're built for, besides who said it has to be a large motor home? This is a question I've been asking for years and it seems to be more about ignorance of their use then anything else.. They'd have dozens of uses there in Thailand and would be very convenient for seeing the country. I saw a vintage Winne (maybe 1980's) while I was down in Phuket once, driving down the by pass road but unfortunately is was heading the other direction and no where to turn around and chase it down, I wanted to get info, but it was going to be too far gone by the time I got turned around.

In the US they started to lose their popularity in the '90s when the cost of filling their fuel tanks began to exceed $100.

Really? Not sure what rock you've been hiding under? But there hasn't been much of a slow down in my region of the country. Funny you mention that as I was just asking myself the other day why there are so many BIG money diesel pusher RV's on the road these days given that diesel is about .80 to .90 cents more per gallon then regular gasoline is? Must have been a while since you've been here or lived in the wrong places, there are way too many of them on the road here in Florida for my liking, mostly with old retired guys who never drove anything larger then a Toyota Camry before driving these now..

The first RV in this listing would be perfect for Thailand. If not a touch smaller. Can park and live anywhere, it's perfect, no need to find nasty, filthy restrooms, stop for meals, find a hotel room when you don't know the area or expose yourself to bed bugs or god knows what else, kids could sleep while you continue to drive, the convenience is unsurpassed. People claim hotels are so cheap no need but you can't take your hotel with you so every time you get to a new destination you have to look one up and nothing is cheaper then free..

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2015-Forest-River-Forester-3011DS-113742320

http://www.rvtrader.com/Florida-RVs-For-Sale----RVTrader.com/search-results?state=Florida%7CFL

In the US we had thousands of beautiful camping areas. Many were on State land and very well maintained. Land was not the major issue so each site normally had lots of room so you were not on top of you neighbor. Camp fires, fishing, hiking .. Etc. great fun for the entire family.

Thailand has many camping areas but they are all for profit and tents are almost on top of each other. I mean one meter apart ! They are also not so cheap. A tent with 2 sleeping bags can set you back 500 to 1000 baht. Mobile campers or vans also just would not have many places to go that would be worth the effort. In the north around Chiang Rai the roads have so many twists and turns and mountains that traveling would be almost impossible in many areas.

Nonsense! It amazes me how many people are so limited by what the THINK they know? The intrinsic beauty of a motor home is finding your own destinations and NOT being with the crowd.. What the h(e)ll do you need a camp site for? The thing is completely self contained..

As pointed out, problem with theft/robberies (locals wouldn't feel safe doing it) and the many cheap hotels around anyway, while most Thais tend to go on short sojourns as opposed to touring. There is also not the infrastructure of decent campgrounds with the right facilities here, but the biggie that people are forgetting is FACE... i.e. no self-respecting Thai would suffer the ignominy of bunking down in an oversized 'van' on or near the road or in a field. whistling.gif

A few decades ago few Thai's drove cars too until they were exposed to their uses.. facepalm.gif Such narrow scope of vision is well...........................It just is..................Crap, I got get out of this thread, too much utter nonsense being posted...

Edited by WarpSpeed

I've actually looked into this and here's my response to some of the objections raised here:

1. There are NO camping facilities for these types of vehicles: Not true; Thailand boasts 127 National Parks and the vast majority of these have very well kept and equipped Camping grounds for Tents, Caravans and/or RV's, complete with Power Hook-Ups, Camp-Stores and even Restaurants.

2. Lack-of-Safety: This would be no different than when driving / stopping in a regular car or van.

3. Temperature: It would be very dangerous to keep the engine running all night (Carbon-monoxide), but a small (built-in) separate generator would solve that problem; alternatively; a solar panel set-up would be a possibility to power small a/c and/or fans through the night. [how do people sleep in tents ? No a/c there either]

So; the "infrastructure is definitely there, but largely unknown, since the "motorhome" or "camper" is (as yet) not present in any numbers. I am sure that IF these vehicles we present in sufficient numbers, that many hotels & resorts would be motivated to reserve some areas on their properties for these campers to be able to park, complete with an outdoor picnic table; hook-ups for power, water & discharge - enabling another income-stream for these places - and where the campers would be able to use the facilities already present, such as Pool, Beach, Bar, Restaurant etc. It's just a matter of Time & Evolution.

The single most attractive reason why this development can not fail (over time) is that it gives tourists a chance to "Fly & Camper", aided by a decent GPS-system and a map clearly showing the many places where they can spend the night safely & comfortably.

I am not a proponent of the large RVs, but rather the smaller, completely self-contained units like the VW-Dehlers VW-Van Conversions by a Yacht-Builder: no longer produced); these smart vehicles sleep 2 adults + 2 kids very comfortably, and have everything on board on would need: Water (hot & cold); Fridge; Cooker; Shower, Toilet and a surprising amount of storage space.

post-10410-0-51178000-1421109557.jpg

post-10410-0-75036800-1421109575_thumb.j

post-10410-0-60249200-1421109604_thumb.j

Edited by jaapfries

At some point the middle class isn't big enough for an industry such as this to come about. I'm not sure that "middle class" has arrived in Thailand yet, given how low wages are even for skilled workers. So let's say the middle class is big enough to justify someone starting a factory up making RV's, otherwise as others have said they would have to be imported and the cost would be large.

The next hurdle would be having the infrastructure to support RV's. What good is an RV if you don't have the overnight electrical and water hookups let alone the waste water dump sites. That is quite an infrastructure to build up. However, at one point every country with RV's had this same problem, but it takes time and it takes a desire by the public to want them. I don't think that desire exists in the Thai people at this time in their development.

KHAO YAI: -- A bull elephant stressed out because he can’t get laid took his frustrations out on the vexing vehicles swarming his domain Saturday.

Maybe the Thai know more than the farang in this case. Maybe they think the mobile home looks too much like a big elephant. Not much fun sleeping in your mobile home as it is being bounced around outside. cheesy.gif

I was lucky to survive an elephant that walked trough our tent in Khao Yai and can not recommend camping in Thailand based on this experience!

Also as mentioned by others, hotels are cheap and there are not so many camp sites that are suitable for overnight camping.

OP, they can't even drive a car properly and you want them to start driving motorhomes?

God help the rest of us driving on these already dangerous roads of Thailand.

Please don't start a trend......I still want to live some more years.

no sewage pipes, no electrical connections, no parking spaces, roads full of ot holes and driven by drunks! and not safe!

I have thought the same thing but came to a very simple answer - Cost.

It's much cheaper to stay at the numerous hotels / guest houses etc around the country....

Import taxes on such vehicles would price them out of the market.

If there were some made locally (of decent quality) the rental would have to compete with hotels etc...

Up country, hotels and guest houses are very cheap (i.e. commonly less than 1000 baht per night for something quite reasonable)... the motorhome rental can not compete with this....

yeah nice hotels for Nong Khai Area, 500 to 600 baht gets you Great hotels in Isaan

yeah nice hotels for Nong Khai Area, 500 to 600 baht gets you Great hotels in Isaan

It's all very well saying that, but many times I have been driving in Thailand and had to put up with really awful hotels in that price range.

It's fine if you are travelling somewhere you know and have recommended hotels to go to, but honestly if you think you can get great hotels for 5-600 baht then either you have not travelled around Thailand recently or your idea of a decent hotel is different to mine.

500 baht per night vs 1 plus million for a motor home, there are locally made ones that are built on top of pick up trucks or conversions from toyota van. Its a slowly growing market as low income can't afford to dish out cash for a truck they use less than a month, most will just pitch a tent. The mid-high income will just stay at hotels. It takes a very special somchai with disposable income and love of outdoors to buy a RV.

http://www.carryboycaravan.com/motorhome/

I guess you have got enough and full answers to your question.

BUT

Why not popular here the semitrailer? They take a piano with saleng or other motorbike monsters but don't use semitrailer and coupling-hook.

"Seems to me that most Thai likes to tour its country, and it is very common to see buses and van with groups and families from far away provinces on the roads. With so much public parks and camping spots around, I wonder why it is very rare to see a motorhome around. I had one in the US, and I will have one here if was easy and cheapy to get. Probably will be very expensive because not second hands on the market, but may be a good market to start a motorhomes production. Or not?"

For a start, fuel is too expensive for individual families to travel about in a motorhome "just for a holiday". An urban family might buy a motor home, but certainly not a rural family, they can just afford to buy Cabcars and trucks. And remember Thailand runs on credit, it is only the higher middle class and elite that own their cars. The bank owns 99% of the rest.

These camping spots you talk about, where are they ? With the violence, petty criminality and lack of security so entrenched in Thailand, no Thai in their right mind would subject their family to a potential assault in an unprotected van parked in the bush. I wouldn't, would you ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

At some point the middle class isn't big enough for an industry such as this to come about. I'm not sure that "middle class" has arrived in Thailand yet, given how low wages are even for skilled workers. So let's say the middle class is big enough to justify someone starting a factory up making RV's, otherwise as others have said they would have to be imported and the cost would be large.

The next hurdle would be having the infrastructure to support RV's. What good is an RV if you don't have the overnight electrical and water hookups let alone the waste water dump sites. That is quite an infrastructure to build up. However, at one point every country with RV's had this same problem, but it takes time and it takes a desire by the public to want them. I don't think that desire exists in the Thai people at this time in their development.

You do understand what "self contained" means don't you?

OP, they can't even drive a car properly and you want them to start driving motorhomes?

God help the rest of us driving on these already dangerous roads of Thailand.

Please don't start a trend......I still want to live some more years.

no sewage pipes, no electrical connections, no parking spaces, roads full of ot holes and driven by drunks! and not safe!

Same, same question? I agree about the drunks though, I complain about those sort of farangs on here all the time..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Thailand doesn't seem to have Gypsy, Pikey and traveller communities.

Mind you i have seen a caravan here in Pattaya ,the only one in 23 years ,he must be so lonly ,laugh.png

Some farang have been smartly buying them for racing to have a cool comfortable place to relax during the weekend of racing.

No facilities and rooms are so cheap

In Scotland, I had a motorhome, and when touring the highlands, there are/ were notices in all the laybys stating no overnight stops, as I try not to obey laws I don't agree with, I did do overnight stops, and was never bothered by anyone.

This being the UK, it was obvious these notices were to force caravans etc, into camp sites and hotels.

I've actually looked into this and here's my response to some of the objections raised here:

1. There are NO camping facilities for these types of vehicles: Not true; Thailand boasts 127 National Parks and the vast majority of these have very well kept and equipped Camping grounds for Tents, Caravans and/or RV's, complete with Power Hook-Ups, Camp-Stores and even Restaurants.

2. Lack-of-Safety: This would be no different than when driving / stopping in a regular car or van.

3. Temperature: It would be very dangerous to keep the engine running all night (Carbon-monoxide), but a small (built-in) separate generator would solve that problem; alternatively; a solar panel set-up would be a possibility to power small a/c and/or fans through the night. [how do people sleep in tents ? No a/c there either]

So; the "infrastructure is definitely there, but largely unknown, since the "motorhome" or "camper" is (as yet) not present in any numbers. I am sure that IF these vehicles we present in sufficient numbers, that many hotels & resorts would be motivated to reserve some areas on their properties for these campers to be able to park, complete with an outdoor picnic table; hook-ups for power, water & discharge - enabling another income-stream for these places - and where the campers would be able to use the facilities already present, such as Pool, Beach, Bar, Restaurant etc. It's just a matter of Time & Evolution.

The single most attractive reason why this development can not fail (over time) is that it gives tourists a chance to "Fly & Camper", aided by a decent GPS-system and a map clearly showing the many places where they can spend the night safely & comfortably.

I am not a proponent of the large RVs, but rather the smaller, completely self-contained units like the VW-Dehlers VW-Van Conversions by a Yacht-Builder: no longer produced); these smart vehicles sleep 2 adults + 2 kids very comfortably, and have everything on board on would need: Water (hot & cold); Fridge; Cooker; Shower, Toilet and a surprising amount of storage space.

Talking about storage space, last week, for the first time in Thailand in nine years, I saw a car with a roof rack attached.

Talking about storage space, last week, for the first time in Thailand in nine years, I saw a car with a roof rack attached.

Wow... where do u live? Roof racks are almost as common as Vigos...

I don't doubt you, I do live upcountry, but regularly travel around, never even seen them in any stores.

I have thought the same thing but came to a very simple answer - Cost.

It's much cheaper to stay at the numerous hotels / guest houses etc around the country....

Import taxes on such vehicles would price them out of the market.

If there were some made locally (of decent quality) the rental would have to compete with hotels etc...

Up country, hotels and guest houses are very cheap (i.e. commonly less than 1000 baht per night for something quite reasonable)... the motorhome rental can not compete with this....

Gee, do you suppose someone could convert a van, bus, or truck to a motor home? I have plans to convert a double-decker bus into a bike hauler and camper.

In the US we had thousands of beautiful camping areas. Many were on State land and very well maintained. Land was not the major issue so each site normally had lots of room so you were not on top of you neighbor. Camp fires, fishing, hiking .. Etc. great fun for the entire family.

Thailand has many camping areas but they are all for profit and tents are almost on top of each other. I mean one meter apart ! They are also not so cheap. A tent with 2 sleeping bags can set you back 500 to 1000 baht. Mobile campers or vans also just would not have many places to go that would be worth the effort. In the north around Chiang Rai the roads have so many twists and turns and mountains that traveling would be almost impossible in many areas.

Nonsense! It amazes me how many people are so limited by what the THINK they know? The intrinsic beauty of a motor home is finding your own destinations and NOT being with the crowd.. What the h(e)ll do you need a camp site for? The thing is completely self contained..
hahaha... I agree, it amazes me how many people are so limited by what they think they know !!! Try it and see the results. You really think you can just park where ever you want ? You ever been in the north around Chiang Rai ? Have you ever had a car break down on a back road and left it for a few hours ?

I have camped and owned motor homes for half my life so I know exactly what I am talking about. Thailand has also been my home for 20 years and have traveled everywhere and have camped.

Get a life ! Perhaps you need a few camping trips to unwind.