Thai Police Spokesman: Zigzag markings are common in Europe

webfact

Zigzag markings are common in Europe.

So is stopping for pedestrians at a zebra crossing. Here many drivers speed up.

Even at the most famous zebra crossing in the world........attachicon.gifabbey.jpg

Especially bus drivers. I was crossing a pedestrian crossing with lights and a bus did not even slow let alone stop at the red light

But good he was going at a decent speed as you could tell he wouldn't stop in time so all the peds just stood and waited till her roared through.

Suthon explained that the zig-zag lines would trick motorists to think the roads are narrower, causing them to slow down.

The mind set here is that when the road gets narrower, the motorist speeds up so he will make it before the other guy.

Yep. Narrow roads are like Venturi tubes here.

• Like 1

Wonder how many motorbike riders are going to be killed after sliding in wet weather on the new road-paintings??

You make a very good point. I worked as a motorcycle dispatch rider in London and am all too familiar with slippery road paintings. If we had a couple of dry weeks in London it would only take a light rain shower to make the road paintings lethal.

Did anyone think to inform the public before they painted the new markings so they dont have to guess or think they are new paint saving new designed parking spaces? facepalm.gif

How about Prayuth uses his weekly slot to INFORM people of what could be a well needed safety road marking campaign and EXPLAIN it to the whole nation in one go ?

Thats after someone has explained to him what they are for that is, whistling.gif

• Like 1

Does anyone seriously expect that suddenly painting zig-zags on the streets of Bangkok will have any effect on raodbsafety????? Only a fool?

I wouldn't be surprised if accidents increased due to people stopping to take photos.

Have they no idea how to introduce a new road safety measure????? You don't just suddenly make them appear and expect people to respect them.......who is going to enforce this? I doubt if the average policeman on the street knows or cares what they even are.

The buffoon behind this should be publicly shamed and sacked.

Does anyone seriously expect that suddenly painting zig-zags on the streets of Bangkok will have any effect on raodbsafety????? Only a fool?

I wouldn't be surprised if accidents increased due to people stopping to take photos.

Have they no idea how to introduce a new road safety measure????? You don't just suddenly make them appear and expect people to respect them.......who is going to enforce this? I doubt if the average policeman on the street knows or cares what they even are.

The buffoon behind this should be publicly shamed and sacked.

Wait until a cop on a bike trys to stop on one when its been raining, he'll care alright.

Id let all the mototaxis you meet know about these markings, the idea is ok but brake suddenly on them on a bike when they are wet and your in bigtrouble.

Guess who might be on the back at the time if you use mototaxis ? YOU.

Edited by englishoak

Wonder how many motorbike riders are going to be killed after sliding in wet weather on the new road-paintings??

You make a very good point. I worked as a motorcycle dispatch rider in London and am all too familiar with slippery road paintings. If we had a couple of dry weeks in London it would only take a light rain shower to make the road paintings lethal.

I can tell you that is rubbish...if they use the correct "paint" the traction on zig-zags in the wet is actually the same or higher that standard city street asphalt.

However in Thailand the road markings arw made of much less sophisticated substances

Did anyone think to inform the public before they painted the new markings so they dont have to guess or think they are new paint saving new designed parking spaces? facepalm.gif

How about Prayuth uses his weekly slot to INFORM people of what could be a well needed safety road marking campaign and EXPLAIN it to the whole nation in one go ?

Thats after someone has explained to him what they are for that is, whistling.gif

No one bothered to inform the public of the give way rules at roundabouts when they installed a new roundabout in Samui!

No one bothered to inform the public of the give way rules at roundabouts when they installed a new roundabout in Samui!

...and Samui has the highest death rate in Thailand.

OK. Here's the solution for blase Thai drivers. Speed cameras hooked up to road spikes. Any car going over 30 km per hour in the "zig zag stretch" gets it's tyres slashed to shreds.

sad.png

..and this post gets the award for the most facetious comment of the thread?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

They could do worse than implement Belisha beacons, the globe shaped orange flashing lollies on a stick that mark crossings in the UK not controlled by traffic lights. As already stated, the zig zag lines are mainly to mark the crossings and denote the no parking zone for visibility of pedestrians by drivers, as (same as Thailand) pedestrians have right of way, although you'd never guess it here, where might is right!

Sadly, education with respect to safe use of the roads by drivers and pedestrians is lacking. As pointed out in one of the first responses here the zig zag lines are to prevent parking adjacent to crossings in order to allow pedestrians to see oncoming traffic. The fact that this is not appreciated by officials is embarrassing but understandable in the circumstances.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect