How many generals does Thailand have?

inquisitive

I think that I read some time back that Thailand has something like 3,000 generals and with around 233,000 soldiers, while the USA has about 3,400 generals covering 1,500,000 soldiers. On the other hand, maybe my memory is playing tricks on me. Does anyone know what the real numbers are (even approximately)? I need this information for a report I'm making, so even a hint as to where I could find the information myself would be a help. I tried doing a search in TV but couldn't locate the original posting.

According to the Asia Times Online, in 2013 Thailand had more than 1,750 flag officers, (generals and admirals). I did read somewhere, although I can't recall where at the moment, that they have many more admirals that boats in the Royal Thai Navy.

That is the number I have seen before. So more generals than America, which is pretty

damn funny unless you are a taxpayer here.....

Too many

Bugger. You beat me to it. Attended a dinner going back 15-16 years ago. Just after the establishment if the Thai Senate. Khun Meechai was the after dinner speaker and he delivered an hilariously funny and irreverent speech about the military in Thailand, and in particular the number if generals, air vice-Marshall's etc. for a country that hasn't been at war for a long time the military is certainly a big employer. Maybe begs the question? Is the enemy within or without?

Thailand's public service officials are underpaid and this is a big reason for corruption in the country.

Bangkok especially, people who work in the private sector often command 40,000THB per month and upwards.

A talented serviceman will undoubtedly get to a point in their career where there could be a payday outside of the military.

Because promoting someone is probably easier than lifting the entire wage base, the high number of Flag Officials may very well be an expedient to keep the 'Best and Brightest'.

Just a theory.

Thailand's public service officials are underpaid and this is a big reason for corruption in the country.

Bangkok especially, people who work in the private sector often command 40,000THB per month and upwards.

A talented serviceman will undoubtedly get to a point in their career where there could be a payday outside of the military.

Because promoting someone is probably easier than lifting the entire wage base, the high number of Flag Officials may very well be an expedient to keep the 'Best and Brightest'.

Just a theory.

Good theory if you don't read the newspapers or watch local TV.

• Like 2

Thousands of arrogant old dudes, belching, farting and scratching their balls in the office and being chauffeur driven around the country. I think Thais need the Germans to come in and manage the country for a decade and get Thailand on track

• Like 1

It's probably because of the no-one ever fails system in place. You promote them even though they are not much good because then you, (their CO and other more senior officers) don't lose face by having mentored an unfit for promotion Colonel and they the promotee don't lose face by failing. Having done that you find a nice easy position for them. It only works to some extent in Australia (the only military system I am somewhat familiar with so cant use USA), Peter Cosgrove would be a good example. But mostly Lieutenant Colonels or half colonels as they are known find it difficult to get to Colonel, the staff officer's course is a bit harder to pass. After you do it's an armchair ride to star rank.

Edited by Bluetongue

It's probably because of the no-one ever fails system in place. You promote them even though they are not much good because then you, (their CO and other more senior officers) don't lose face by having mentored an unfit for promotion Colonel and they the promotee don't lose face by failing. Having done that you find a nice easy position for them. It only works to some extent in Australia (the only military system I am somewhat familiar with so cant use USA), Peter Cosgrove would be a good example. But mostly Lieutenant Colonels or half colonels as they are known find it difficult to get to Colonel, the staff officer's course is a bit harder to pass. After you do it's an armchair ride to star rank.

It's different in the US. When I made colonel, the selection rate was about 35%. From colonel to general, it dropped to 2%..

I would be very curious as to the selection rate for colonel/captain to flag rank in Thailand. Given some of the posts here, and I am not doubting them as I have no basis to know myself, I would assume that there is a fairly high selection rate to flag rank.

• Like 1

You need to refer to the recent Police Corruption Scandal for the real answer..

You have to pay for the Rank and Position....the more higher ranks available the more scope to recieve payment for those oficials at the top.

THAT is the reason...this is Thainess at its finest.

Edited by bowerboy