Why?

Anthony5

Most if not all of the brooms I have seen have been bamboo or plastic, the problem isn't with the handles but the fibres they use don't last

The plastic ones you have in mind aren't plastic, they are steel covered with plastic.

If only I could find a real plastic one, I would be happy already.

a plastic broom handle...sounds like a diversified tool.. in times of needwhistling.gif

Any hardware store and buy pvc pipe and have a thread cut to match your mop head. Or pole vault poles see below.

Pvc pipe bends, even if you take the 13,5 Bar version. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Never seen any pole vault poles, don't even know what they are, but for sure you can point to a place where can buy them in the pattaya area. They are not made of steel I assume.

Never seen any pole vault poles, don't even know what they are.

You are kidding... right ! You know, those l-o-n-g bendy broom handles that athletes use to propel themselves over the very h-i-g-h, horizontal broom handles.

I think this suggestion was made in somewhat of a sarcastic offering.

The wooden dowel from numerous hardware outlets is the answer.

Not rocket surgery.

Just sayin..... Cheers..... Mal.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

....it's because soft wood wooden broom handles will be eaten by the termites in no time . . .

....It's also because there is no fir or birch wood in Thailand. So all wood handles are made of some heavy medium hardwood. much too thick and much too heavy.

... it's because they think, farang wood handles for brooms suck. We make Thai wood broom handles. mutt better

....it's because they have always used rusty steel or bamboo as handles. From their grand-grandmother days thru now.

.......it's because there are no Mothers of Invention to be found in Thailand !

R & D into wooden broom handles would be extremely taxing for any nation.

Jeez, always picking on the Thais..........................rolleyes.gif

Seriously, what on earth are you talking about reference broom handles with comments like that?

This is where you buy a broom here & this type of broom works wink.png

tpt-thailand-bangkok-broom-cart-2-2.jpg

Utter crap the lot of it. What we need here are proper western brushes. House fan like things just put more rubbish on the floor than they sweep up as the prongs come out. Yard witch like brushes are pretty hopeless even when you trim them down. The chicken stick duster, again bits come off them all the time and they make you sneeze. Real yard brush is what i'm after, never seen one anywhere. Don't buy off guys in the pic, more expensive than anywhere.

• Like 1

As I understand it the army has acquired a current stocks of new brooms for sweeping clean activities. Unfortunately this is expected to be an extremely long drawn out affair so current estimations are that new brooms will not be available until your next life or the one after that. The good news is that when the army is finished thailand will be so clean that new brooms will be obsolete and have gone the way of the buggy whip. In the meantime sleep easy knowing that the sacrifice you're making by stepping through your own dirt and muck every day will in the future benefit the whole of thai society.

This is where you buy a broom here & this type of broom works wink.png

tpt-thailand-bangkok-broom-cart-2-2.jpg

Utter crap the lot of it. What we need here are proper western brushes. House fan like things just put more rubbish on the floor than they sweep up as the prongs come out. Yard witch like brushes are pretty hopeless even when you trim them down. The chicken stick duster, again bits come off them all the time and they make you sneeze. Real yard brush is what i'm after, never seen one anywhere. Don't buy off guys in the pic, more expensive than anywhere.

I always thought the chicken-feather implements sold by these vendors were cat toys. At least that's what they become in our household.

The cat will go to great effort to hunt it down and once vanquished we have no choice but to get out the hoover.

Did anyone actually bother to read the title of the thread and the OP?

I'm not looking for a broom, I'm looking for decent handles.

I understand the French like to think ears make good handles. Personally I prefer a handful of hair.

I understand the French like to think ears make good handles. Personally I prefer a handful of hair.

The guy needs a broom handle and is afraid of getting splinters. He got lots of good advice on buying brooms but didn't want it. Hmmmmm. Maybe it would be a good idea if we knew what he was going to use the broom handle for. Or did I miss that. I don't mean to make anyone repeat anything.

Edited by thailiketoo

The guy needs a broom handle and is afraid of getting splinters. He got lots of good advice on buying brooms but didn't want it. Hmmmmm. Maybe it would be a good idea if we knew what he was going to use the broom handle for. Or did I miss that. I don't mean to make anyone repeat anything.

Yeah you clearly missed that, because I explained it about 40 posts ago in post #32 and again in post #58 which is on this very same page.

But hey don't let that withhold you from making some silly unrelated comments, you are very well known for that.

Maybe you need to lash out & buy a vacuum cleaner, no need for a broom.

Just an idea.

Cheers..... Mal.

Again, I'm not looking for a broom and I have a vacuum cleaner, I'm looking for decent wooden broom HANDLES.

And to add : I've also never seen 25 mm dowels at a lumber yard in Thailand, but I've many times seen some about double that size.

Edited by Anthony5

Could be they are made for 40kg women to lean on and not 120kg farangs ?

Just a thought.

120kgs is being kind, Charlie. This is no time for such political correctness.

OP. It's why I jacked the place in. I just couldn't take it any more. The dearth of good quality wooden handle mops and galvanised steel mop buckets for sale pushed me over the edge.

• 4 weeks later...

So the other day I was at Tesco and there they were, aluminium broom handles. Finally my prayers had been listened to.

Aluminium tends to be strong, doesn't rust and the handles were at 1.20 meter at falang length and a bargain at 69 Baht.

I wanted to buy the whole stock, so happy I was, but there was that little voice that told me to take one and try it out.

So today I fitted the handle in such a floor scourer from 3M, from which the steel handle had rusted away long time ago, and started with the living room floor.

It turned out that the handle didn't last till the end of the room before I had 2 of them. So in fact at little over 40 Baht an hour to be able to use them, wasn't that of a bargain either.