End to free Certificate of Residency in Chiang Mai?

midzo

so you have to pay this once a year? as many know, in America we have these HOA, home owners' association, and dues can range from 50 to 400 a month for whatever....and then taxes on the property yearly, maybe 2000 USD average....garbage fees, special garbage bags.....ah.....

so you have to pay this once a year? as many know, in America we have these HOA, home owners' association, and dues can range from 50 to 400 a month for whatever....and then taxes on the property yearly, maybe 2000 USD average....garbage fees, special garbage bags.....ah.....

And how much do you pay in bribes?

This is NOT like paying ones HOA fees for removal of your trash - you are paying for services provided to you...

This is NOT VIP service - If it were at least some part of the parking lot would be paved and roped off for your use and the guy in uniform would be handing you a chilled drink and a straw...

This is NOT a bribe - Bribes are given not required...

The best description is extortion - N. The crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority.

coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Again I ask, how many COR's does a person get in say a 5 year period?

Yeah I know it's the principle, we're here to clean up the place.

My last COR was more than 10 years ago but yes certainly we are here to clean up the place and I will get right on it as soon as I finish with that damn windmill.

The title of this thread seems somewhat overblown. Curious, I have kept an eye on it expecting that there would be a few more irrate reports. If I get it right, maybe we're talking a grand total of two extortion reports. If it's about the same guy, then he doesn't seem to have much of a racket going.

I had to get a certificate of residence at the new location about six months ago. I went back in ten days (as I recall), and there was no hassle and no money changed hands. When I picked up the COR at the desigated window, I was greeted by a pleasant female officer whose stack of CORs was taller than she. Once before, when I got a COR at the "kiosk" behind the infamous much-loved Immigration builidng, I paid 500 baht for the quick service and didn't feel the least bit discommoded, especially since I couldn't wait ten days. Before that, it used to be possible to watch some old guy with a typewritter located just behind the re-entry visa officers' post painstakingly typing out the letters while a clerk logged each letter by hand in a large journal. It seems he is probably now living the high life on his ill-gotten gains in his villa in Green Valley Estates.

Or maybe, Uptheos, he is typing out receipts! tongue.png

Edited by Mapguy

OK, OK, sorry I might have hit a nerve. Since I don't pay it, I don't get it. I see price manipulation in the States every day; food, gas, bills, etc...I see fake sales at stores, and weird increases on this bill and that bill. don't get me started on health care. It adds up to thousands a year, and I don't get any more service. But I know get it.....in America I guess we hide it much, much better. When you pay the 500 baht, it's forced, in your face, and you lose face......it's almost like you feel violated and robbed.

Apparently it has gone from 10 days to 5 weeks for the free one.. I can verify that. Most of the clients are Burmese......

It seems you are updated with all the latest details.

For what purpose are most of the clients (Burmese) applying for COR's?