Do farang dream ?

benalibina

Friend of mine, visting his family now in Thailand, wife and 2 daugters, was asked by his youngest daughter mixed kid, of 13 years old.......the above question. He wrote to me...i did not know what to say......

What should he have said....whats the mindset behind it ?

I would of said "I think it's time we spend a bit more time together."

As for the mindset, you'd have to know the kids surroundings to make judgment. But it sounds like when you were young & wondered if cats, dogs etc dreamed.

Never wondered about people though.

Must of been been a wake up call for him.

• Like 1

i'd have said, all the people dream. Every human being dreams, more or less.

everyone of us, we have a dream, We sometimes not share a dream, but many dreams are aimed at the same thing.

Edited by crazygreg44

i'd have said, all the people dream. Every human being dreams, more or less.

But what about farang?

If they're even asking this I don't think they fully understand that Thais and foreigners are both people.

Dad needs to be spending more time around them, the kids seem to be getting their heads filled with rubbish and are growing up ignorant

• Like 1

Any chance to reply on the topic....thoughts.....

The answer is that the child is ignorant , as someone else pointed out.

The us-vs-them mentality is a very very limiting mental construct and you seem to be blissfully ignoring it.

We are all humans, the same, all equals.

If they're even asking this I don't think they fully understand that Thais and foreigners are both people.

- What is said to these kids that they can't make the connection naturally?

what possible interest would we have in the illogical thoughts of ONE thirteen year old girl in a country of 70 million. unless youre looking for some thai bashing fodder of course

I'll bite.

At age 3, that question might not be cause for concern.

At age 13 Id' be checking if the child can tie her shoes yet.

• Like 1

what possible interest would we have in the illogical thoughts of ONE thirteen year old girl in a country of 70 million. unless youre looking for some thai bashing fodder of course

I'll bite.

if it was my kid, yeah i might. but it aint my kid and i see no reason to even think about what someone else's menatlly challenged kid is doing let alone post about it on a thai forum. unless i was looking for thai bashing replies of course.

Any chance to reply on the topic....thoughts.....

The answer is that the child is ignorant , as someone else pointed out.

The us-vs-them mentality is a very very limiting mental construct and you seem to be blissfully ignoring it.

We are all humans, the same, all equals.

- What is said to these kids that they can't make the connection naturally?

where do you get the plural from?

I'll bite.

if it was my kid, yeah i might. but it aint my kid and i see no reason to even think about what someone else's menatlly challenged kid is doing let alone post about it on a thai forum. unless i was looking for thai bashing replies of course.

Yes your simpleton way of thinking is never ever far away on here.

My friend has never heard talk/thoughts like this from his daughter, at least, if he did, he never told me before.

Instead of assuming that i started this thread for....thai bashing purposes....post a decent reply....if cannot do....stay away please.

i've enough experience with your OP's to know what you started it for pal so spare me the who? me? nonsense.

• Like 1

Its a sad indictment of the Thai educational system isn't it that 13 year old kid has to ask the question in the first place.

Notwithstanding that the girl obviously hasn't picked up anything from the people who are living with her and who may well have contributed to her idea of who or what a Farng is all about

LIke I said it really is so very sad

On the other hand maybe it was just a bit of harmless talking aloud about her abstract thinking that most of us must admit to at times in our lives, especially if we are 13 years of age

Edited by n210mp
  • Like 1

Throughout history humans have had a nasty habit of dehumanizing people who are different. Different color, different language, different customs, often equals sub-human, non-human or evil.

You say the daughter is mixed so I am guessing there is no language problem to cause misunderstanding. Perhaps she was teased by Thai kids who find her different and that caused her to have doubts and questions.
I would simply reassure her that despite perceived differences all people are pretty much the same. Then again what do I know, I’m a farang who dreams.
  • Like 1

Back on topic..

Where does the Falang-so-different attitude come from ?

Is it something taught in schools here?

It fell out of a Thai I was bashing.

internet tough guys are pathetic

Well, we can't all be self-destructive, masochistic attention seekers.

Back on topic..

what so different attitude are you talkin about? details please?

Back on topic..

luckily I dont want to. but you continue if you like.

Throughout history humans have had a nasty habit of dehumanizing people who are different. Different color, different language, different customs, often equals sub-human, non-human or evil.

You say the daughter is mixed so I am guessing there is no language problem to cause misunderstanding. Perhaps she was teased by Thai kids who find her different and that caused her to have doubts and questions.

I would simply reassure her that despite perceived differences all people are pretty much the same. Then again what do I know, Im a farang who dreams.

Interesting choice of words in your 1st paragraph. Like NMP stated...we all do that sometimes. For a younger child, it depends alot on the social circle she/he is engaged in.

Despite my own perceptions of what my friend has written to me about his daughters words, i wanted to know if other posters had something to say about this. My friend did not have it easy last years, various reasons, but he never mentioned anything like this before. He is as well a person who not easily shares his true thoughts and feelings. As he is visiting me shortly, i would want to know what that question from his own daughter meant to him

Thanks to you and others for your response on this topic. As for 1 other poster....the eye of the beholder...