Frustrated Phuket beach guard lashes out at Russian tourist

webfact

Was the surf really up and getting dangerous or was it sunset and time for the lifeguards to punch the clock.
The red flags are out 360 days a year judging from the hundreds of beach visits I have made in Phuket.
I have always made my own decision. (mostly went for a swim, but sometimes it was to rough)
I have never had a problem with a lifeguard, but theses guys should all be fired, they are definitely
in the wrong job. Bring in some Australian professionals.

I've been a lifeguard myself in the past, I do go to Phuket to surf when the surf is up and I know exactly how the lifeguard feels. Easy to lose one's head when people are sometimes just plain stupid.

So how many people you kicked or hit?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"They were tired" is often an excuse for bad behavior. They are punks is more to the point.

Yes, agree with you.......

They are punks because they are trying to prevent other people from drowning.

They are punks because they risk their lives to save other peoples lives.

I hope when you are in danger, one of those punks is near you to save your life.

No, they are punks for starting to assault and fight with the people they are supposed to protect.

It is easy to jump on these guys for their actions and it sounds is if it were inappropriate at the time. However you did read about the Russian tourist who drown in Phuket recently right?

He was told not to swim in the area as there were strong currents. They told him repeatedly as he retorted, "I am strong, I can swim, no problem" and then proceeded to die. What sort of press was that and how were these, "punks" treated for not keeping him out of the water?

I am not sure how much exposure you have had to Russian Tourists but they can be pretty belligerent, disrespectful, and outright stupid at times.

• Like 2

I am fairly certain i actually saw the same lifeguard threatening an Indian family with a hammer a few weeks ago at Nai Harn beach

Do from this story you can deduce which of the lifeguards there this was?
If you actually left your office once in a while, and actually went to the beach... instead of trying to drum up customers on forums your comments might have some credibility.
Flaming in stead of answering, the usual.

Apparently a drowned Russian tourist washing up on the beach you are supposed to be guarding, can really ruin your day!!

(I'm with the guard on this one, he may have had to clean up bodies of drowned Russians/Chinese before, after all, plenty to go around each year ; (

• Like 2

I suggest some of the readers be less racist or do not live here. These guys day in day out risk their life to help and save people with very little equipment like jet-skis in Australia. Then you get people who ignore red flags which should be obvious what it means and be disrespectful. The lifeguards have to put up with disrespect probably every day. I see some of the tourists they come here and look down on Thais. They would not behave the same in their own country. Most of the tourists here are budget end people and not educated.

I've lived here ten years and disagree with you. I'm on the beach three or four times a day. I body surf when we get large waves. I'd say ninety percent of the rescues are from body surfers and surfers. Only when the commotion attracts them do they come to help. Usually the swimmer is laying on a surfboard. Lifeguards very seldom do any lifeguarding in phuket. They sleep or surf. We have a great Lifeguard tower in Kata beach, I defy you to get a picture of a lifeguard in the tower. When you see a lifeguard bringing a person to shore its usually after a surfer got their attention to come and get them so they can continue surfing. I could literally tell you a hundred stories like this. Maybe if you spend a little more time on the beach when the surfs up you'll educate yourself on whats happening.

Ave Thai has a child like mentality combined with no service training and presto...most bothersome is lack of management in handling conflict resolution and staff disciplinary measures...doubt they even exist...

What enforcement powers do Thai lifeguards actually have? What is their relationship to gov officials and police? Where do they fit in the hierarchy of gov?

CB

Just switch on the Tsunami siren, everyone will be out of wa

Siren? What siren ?

I very much doubt if that still works.

I see the usual happened.

More Thai's turned up to have go. Not calm things down

They are corroded. I'll snap a pic of the siren at Kata noi and it's just a rusty half shell of a siren.

No way it works.

I WAS THERE - the article mentions 3-4 tourists needed help? It is a LIE - those swimmers were young THAI girls, 15-17s old, and my friend helped them and almost drowned due to the weight of wearing soaked clothes (jeans and t-shirts) and panicking. Secondly, this Russian father did nothing wrong; this thai lifeguard simply became crazy like hell and started to kick him in front of his little girl!!!! Luckily, a few more heavyweight Russians came to his rescue, otherwise, he would have been a non sense fight for nothing... disgusting behavior. should be move to inactive post 555

• Like 1

I WAS THERE - the article mentions 3-4 tourists needed help? It is a LIE - those swimmers were young THAI girls, 15-17s old, and my friend helped them and almost drowned due to the weight of wearing soaked clothes (jeans and t-shirts) and panicking. Secondly, this Russian father did nothing wrong; this thai lifeguard simply became crazy like hell and started to kick him in front of his little girl!!!! Luckily, a few more heavyweight Russians came to his rescue, otherwise, he would have been a non sense fight for nothing... disgusting behavior. should be move to inactive post 555

So young Thai girls did not need help?

Thanks for the rest of the info BTW.

Sounds about right. They couldn't bash the fully clothed locals, so they took out their frustration on a gawking Russian. There used to be a good lifeguard crew at Nai Harn, but with the latest contract renewal, the personnel changed to these guys.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have lived in Thailand for 4 years.

Phuket sucks. Period. Full stop.

I went there last week and instead of staying over (for FREE) ... I took the last flight home.

What many people are missing is that it is not the money ... we simply tire of people treating us in a way that says "You are an idiot."

Example:

700 THB for a cab ride that on a BKK meter would be about 126

Botle of water 30 THB

and on and on and on and I am tied of it.

God, it was great to get back to "cheap" BKK where you can have a great dinner FOR LESS than the cost of Phuket Mafia ride to a restaurant.

Stuff it Phuket.

Try Bangkok Airport, 50 baht a bottle for water

You really have missed the point entirely.

In Phuket, highway robbery (literally) is the norm and part of an organized crime network for which there is no work around.

Pointing to an expensive bottle of water at an international airport is weak tea indeed, since all around the world we know ... airport food is double (or more) the norm.

At least in BKK there is a work around ... simply do not take a taxi unless they turn on the meter. In four years, I have been inconvenienced by the no meter BS about 10 times. If it were not for idiot tourists who happily pay 300 THB to go 3 blocks from their hotel to a bar ... this problem would not exist.

You see, I actually undersatnd the "no meter" BKK Taxi guys. They have been taught that if they turn down 10 people who insist on a meter, and get A Hole who will pay 300 THB to get to the Emporium, they are far ahead of the game. Very far. So, i do not blame them, I blame stupid tourists.

In the same way, the idiot tourists and RESIDENTS of Phuket have trained the Taxi and Tuk Tuk drivers that they are happy to provide the KY and bend over and pay 800 THB for a ride that would be 100+ on a BKK meter.

You know, except for a few nice beaches, which are now over crowded, Phuket really is no big deal. The interior is just a string of dirty little strips and clusters of filthy bars, massage and a 7-11. Rinse and repeat, those clusters are everywhere. That toilet on the west coat ... whatever ... I would rather roll in a gutter than walk in some of the cesspool / bars that are there.

Headline to Phuket: There are better islands, better beaches, and MUCH nicer Thai people we can go spend time with.

So note to all the idiots who go to this once beautiful, now overbuilt and overpriced scam capital ... PLEASE stay there and do not leave, so the rest of us can enjoy the really beautiful islands and people Thailand has to offer.

Once again, and with feeling: Stuff it where the sun don't shine Phuket.

First time I have ever heard of lifeguards in Thailand, I have seen some high chairs on some beach but never seen anyone seated in them. Since when has those lifeguards been around? Of course it was like 5 years or more since I was on Phuket, and that time I did not visit any beach.

Siam park in Bangkok has a life guard sitting on a high chair and babbling away on a load speaker all day long.

By the way, speaking about bottled water in airports; If you want a good meal for normal prices at Bangkok International Airport (Swampy) just go to the bottom floor and at one end of the hall there is a food court with the usual food coupon. Very cheap and tastes better than at any other restaurant at the airport.

Edited by AlQaholic

I have lived in Thailand for 4 years.

Phuket sucks. Period. Full stop.

I went there last week and instead of staying over (for FREE) ... I took the last flight home.

What many people are missing is that it is not the money ... we simply tire of people treating us in a way that says "You are an idiot."

Example:

700 THB for a cab ride that on a BKK meter would be about 126

Botle of water 30 THB

and on and on and on and I am tied of it.

God, it was great to get back to "cheap" BKK where you can have a great dinner FOR LESS than the cost of Phuket Mafia ride to a restaurant.

Stuff it Phuket.

Try Bangkok Airport, 50 baht a bottle for water

You really have missed the point entirely.

In Phuket, highway robbery (literally) is the norm and part of an organized crime network for which there is no work around.

Pointing to an expensive bottle of water at an international airport is weak tea indeed, since all around the world we know ... airport food is double (or more) the norm.

At least in BKK there is a work around ... simply do not take a taxi unless they turn on the meter. In four years, I have been inconvenienced by the no meter BS about 10 times. If it were not for idiot tourists who happily pay 300 THB to go 3 blocks from their hotel to a bar ... this problem would not exist.

You see, I actually undersatnd the "no meter" BKK Taxi guys. They have been taught that if they turn down 10 people who insist on a meter, and get A Hole who will pay 300 THB to get to the Emporium, they are far ahead of the game. Very far. So, i do not blame them, I blame stupid tourists.

In the same way, the idiot tourists and RESIDENTS of Phuket have trained the Taxi and Tuk Tuk drivers that they are happy to provide the KY and bend over and pay 800 THB for a ride that would be 100+ on a BKK meter.

You know, except for a few nice beaches, which are now over crowded, Phuket really is no big deal. The interior is just a string of dirty little strips and clusters of filthy bars, massage and a 7-11. Rinse and repeat, those clusters are everywhere. That toilet on the west coat ... whatever ... I would rather roll in a gutter than walk in some of the cesspool / bars that are there.

Headline to Phuket: There are better islands, better beaches, and MUCH nicer Thai people we can go spend time with.

So note to all the idiots who go to this once beautiful, now overbuilt and overpriced scam capital ... PLEASE stay there and do not leave, so the rest of us can enjoy the really beautiful islands and people Thailand has to offer.

Once again, and with feeling: Stuff it where the sun don't shine Phuket.

Yes, please do stay away.

Great. These guys are on the frontline of tourism here and what happens? He loses it and his mates jump in and "squared up"

Just typical thugs.

No. They are not typical thugs. These guys on occasions put their life on the line to save complete strangers. Most are volunteers, not being paid for what they do. They too would probably like to be sitting in a bar like you, but civic duty comes first with these guys. . It is sometimes, in Thailand, a thankless job. Everyone knows how Russians behave. They are belligerent pig-headed ignorant fools. Yes the life guards are at the front-line of tourism, protecting it. How would it look when increased drownings also start appearing on front page of newspapers, along with the murders, the rapes, theft and petty crime. TAT would not like that.

In countries like Australia and USA, Life Savers (Guards), together with the bush fire brigades are treated as heroes. They are brave folk. But how would you know ? You wouldnt know how terrifying it can be out in a huge surf pulling someone in who disobeyed the life guards instructions. How many lives can you with hand on heart say you saved in your life.

Get with your volunteers, and stop jumping on the band wagon with idiotic whining. Maybe you would like one of the "brave-souls" from Syria to come out and pull you in out of the surf.

• Like 1

"They were tired" is often an excuse for bad behavior. They are punks is more to the point.

I hope when you are in danger, one of those punks is near you to save your life.

No, they are punks for starting to assault and fight with the people they are supposed to protect.

It is easy to jump on these guys for their actions and it sounds is if it were inappropriate at the time. However you did read about the Russian tourist who drown in Phuket recently right?

He was told not to swim in the area as there were strong currents. They told him repeatedly as he retorted, "I am strong, I can swim, no problem" and then proceeded to die. What sort of press was that and how were these, "punks" treated for not keeping him out of the water?

I am not sure how much exposure you have had to Russian Tourists but they can be pretty belligerent, disrespectful, and outright stupid at times.

OK. So these tourists ignore the red flags and a verbal warning, go swimming anyway, and drown. End of story. So sad. I wouldn't blame the lifeguards for that. So far as I know, a red flag, while a serious warning to stay out of the water, does not amount to a legally enforceable closure of the beach. I AM blaming the lifeguards for how they actually chose to handle the situation (which wasn't so much a "choice", in my view, as an irrationally violent response). Neither tourist deaths resulting from bad judgment, nor "irrationally violent responses" from young thai males, are all that rare in Thailand, unfortunately.

• Like 1

OK. So these tourists ignore the red flags and a verbal warning, go swimming anyway, and drown. End of story. So sad. I wouldn't blame the lifeguards for that. So far as I know, a red flag, while a serious warning to stay out of the water, does not amount to a legally enforceable closure of the beach. I AM blaming the lifeguards for how they actually chose to handle the situation (which wasn't so much a "choice", in my view, as an irrationally violent response). Neither tourist deaths resulting from bad judgment, nor "irrationally violent responses" from young thai males, are all that rare in Thailand, unfortunately.

No, not end of story.

Can you imagine the press and officials jump onto that and blaming the lifeguards for not doing their duty? This really is not as easy as some posters here make it out to be.

• Like 1

No, not end of story.

Can you imagine the press and officials jump onto that and blaming the lifeguards for not doing their duty? This really is not as easy as some posters here make it out to be.

Yes, End of story. You said "the press and officials"... Who cares (what the press and the officials have to say about it)? Who WOULD care? ...What either one says? Crazy stuff said every day. If anyone DID care, THAT would be news! And if anyone DID care, what in the world makes you think the lifeguards would actually be held accountable for ANYthing (and in such a case as this, they in fact shouldn't be, so....)? TIT. Let's get real.

I wonder who controls the naughty Life Guards ....

Go visit Karon Beach,...and you would not make a comment like that.

The Russians in Phuket are BAD for Thailand,...I witnessed a week ago, countless times, how their cruel arrogance affects the Thai people. I'm afraid "happy" is in steep decline throughout South Thailand, where Russians (and Muslims) infiltrate.

• Like 1

maybe should have a few laminated cards in other languages to show people the problems but then it goes down to education and the fact that for years people have been allowed to mistreat holidaymakers with scams and threats of violence and the Police have stood by and done nothing about it as for the Jet skis it is know far and wide about that scam yet still people hire them if you dont hire them it will dry up and go away ( but some other scam will replace it) till the law is seen to be done and fair on both sides of the linewai.gif

someone needs to explain to these guys that the way of the thug has no place anywhere when dealing with touristsThe guy in question should be spoken too and if he still doesn't get it then sack him

All these arrogant posts have me frustrated. Go visit the Russian filled beaches in Phuket, and you would want to scream. Their rudeness, and outright cruelness towards Thai's, to me, is criminal. I was so glad to leave Karon Beach last week, after a few day visit,...but I feel so sorry for the Thai's who live there, and feel they have to put up with these Russians (and Muslims).

This is just the beginning of the retaliation against arrogant tourists,...a beginning that anywhere else, would have began long ago,...when the first Russian tourists came.

maybe should have a few laminated cards in other languages to show people the problems but then it goes down to education and the fact that for years people have been allowed to mistreat holidaymakers with scams and threats of violence and the Police have stood by and done nothing about it as for the Jet skis it is know far and wide about that scam yet still people hire them if you dont hire them it will dry up and go away ( but some other scam will replace it) till the law is seen to be done and fair on both sides of the line:wai:

I'd wager that jet ski scams were introduced by South Thailand's Russian gangs.

someone needs to explain to these guys that the way of the thug has no place anywhere when dealing with touristsThe guy in question should be spoken too and if he still doesn't get it then sack him

All these arrogant posts have me frustrated. Go visit the Russian filled beaches in Phuket, and you would want to scream. Their rudeness, and outright cruelness towards Thai's, to me, is criminal. I was so glad to leave Karon Beach last week, after a few day visit,...but I feel so sorry for the Thai's who live there, and feel they have to put up with these Russians (and Muslims).

This is just the beginning of the retaliation against arrogant tourists,...a beginning that anywhere else, would have began long ago,...when the first Russian tourists came.

What a load of rubbish.

Not worth breaking down your post for all that's wrong with it.

Enjoy your narrow, bigoted life.

• Like 1

No, not end of story.

Yes, End of story. You said "the press and officials"... Who cares (what the press and the officials have to say about it)? Who WOULD care? ...What either one says? Crazy stuff said every day. If anyone DID care, THAT would be news! And if anyone DID care, what in the world makes you think the lifeguards would actually be held accountable for ANYthing (and in such a case as this, they in fact shouldn't be, so....)? TIT. Let's get real.

So nobody cares what press and officials have to say?

Sorry, totally and utterly unrealistic.

3 years ago on the beach at Karon in February.

No flags, water looked lovely.

In we went, it was great for a few minutes.

About waist deep when, with no warning a huge wave came in, knocked several of us over and under water.

I lost a lens from my expensive varifocal, colour changing specs and lost the skin off one knee.

Copped a couple of bruises.

Gulped a lung full of water and thought I'd bought it!

Luckly it was only one wave, had there been a second wave I would have drowned for sure!

It appears that it can happen very quickly on those beaches, the lifeguards must know that and this knowledge causes the urgency perhaps.

As another poster said, provide the guards with info in several languages.

Put up big notices to explain how quick things can change and that the public must act immediately to instruction from the Guards.

Again, in several languages.

The guard was wrong to react violently but if I were a Life Guard, I might also get frustrated as well.

The answer must be better tools and regular training of both the guards and the public.

There is a not-so-fine line between being frustrated and trying to kill someone with your thug friends.

Like in every tourist country, there are visitors with different backgrounds and habits, some more polite, some less. A big part of being in the tourist industry is understanding this fact and being accommodating even when people are not so nice to you.

Apparently, this is not so in Thailand, especially in hotspots like Phuket, Pattaya, Koh Tao, Samui, etc. For every tourist asaulted, scammed or killed there will be 10 new ones to go to the same place. Good for Thailand, I'd say.

• Like 1