Overstay on ED visa - extension papers from school pending

Hello,

I study at a university in Bangkok. I am pretty much done, but the process of graduating will take some time because I have to wait for transcripts and such from the school. The last time I did an extension of stay I applied for six months, seeing as I was pretty much done. They stamped my passport with Feb 15th 2015, but later in the process they vaguely struck out this date with a blue pen and put a Jan 8th 2015 stamp above it. They didn´t inform me and I didn´t notice (should have made sure to check it properly, yeah).

My university noticed it today when I handed in documents to get another three month extension, since it´s gonna take them several months to get my graduation papers in order. So here I am now, a bit uncertain of how to tackle the situation. The papers from the school to extend the visa will be ready on January 27th. Should I wait until then to go to immigration and try to clear things out, or should I head over there as soon as possible? If I do get the extension papers, will I even be allowed to extend my stay? If i go now, will I be able to pay the current overstay fine of around 5,000 baht and then get a short extension of stay until the 27th when the extension papers are ready?

I guess another choice might be to skip extending the ED visa and instead go to the airport, pay the overstay and go to Laos to get a tourist visa, since I am done studying anyway and only have to submit papers and such. I wouldn´t mind 30 days on a visa exempt either just to clear things up and prepare for getting a tourist visa from Laos, if that´s an option.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Myran

Unless you can prove the changed extension date was wrong the only thing immigration would do is give you is 7 days to leave the after you pay the overstay fine of 500 baht a day, apply for a 7 day extension and pay 1900 baht for it.

Your best choice may be to go out for a tourist visa. You could get a 2 entry in Laos.

• Like 1

Unless you can prove the changed extension date was wrong the only thing immigration would do is give you is 7 days to leave the after you pay the overstay fine of 500 baht a day, apply for a 7 day extension and pay 1900 baht for it.

Your best choice may be to go out for a tourist visa. You could get a 2 entry in Laos.

Thanks, that´s what I´m leaning towards. Flying to Laos and back to Bangkok would still give me 30 days visa exemption, right? Might do that just to get stuff in order and later go back for a tourist visa.

If all you want is a visa exempt entry it would be best to fly to KL Malaysia. The airfare will be cheaper and there is no visa fee for there.

You can extend a visa exempt entry for 30 days at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

• Like 1

Back in Thailand now, and thought I´d report my experience.

Got my return ticket to Kuala Lumpur for around 4,600 baht – Lion Air to KL and AirAsia back to BKK. Extremely nervous at Don Mueang. Checked in and then went to the immigration where I handed over my passport and said I had overstay to pay. Was taken to a room not far away where I paid and had to sign a paper. The immigration officers were very friendly and understood why I had made the mistake. The whole process took about 10 minutes, including some extra work since they couldn´t scan my passport for some reason.

Then off to KL with Lion Air (extremely good leg room, entertainment screen, water and cookies. In Economy). Immigration in KL was a breeze.

"Hello, sir. Arriving from BKK?"

"Yes"

"Scan your fingerprints there, please"

Bam, 90 day stamp in passport. I wish Thailand was this easy.

Went back to Bkk later the same night with AirAsia (horrible leg room, no entertainment and no snacks or beverages). Again a bit nervous since I haven´t done this before, but the girl at immigration just glanced at my passport, gave me a raised eyebrow and gave me my 30 days. Such a relief. Gonna take UbonJoe´s advice and extent it for another 30 days at immigration here in Bangkok. After that I´ll most likely go for a double entry tourist visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet.

Again, thanks for the advice Joe.