Battered Phuket ATM refuses to yield to robbers

webfact

<snip>

Wonder why they did not pick it up and take it away rather than try and cut into the safe on site ?

Hard to get it on the back of their motor bike. smile.png

Being more serious, they must have had a larger vehicle to drag it out of the wall ??

Well, the first sentence said they used a pick-up truck. Is that large enough?

You made me wonder how heavy are these things?

Me and the Mrs struggled to get a motor-cycle into my truck bed.

I was told years ago that some USA based ATMs can hold up to 80,000. USD

How much can they hold in Thai baht here? I'd think the value would be much higher.

If one bothered to read the article they may have noticed a figure of 3.5 million baht suggested.... whats that, about $110.000 USD ?

Wonder why they did not pick it up and take it away rather than try and cut into the safe on site ?

ATMs can hold 1,000 notes which would be B1million if they were all B1,000 notes, which they are not. Typically they are loaded with B1,000, B500 and B100 notes so that the max would be arpund B450,000. However this machine due to its location may have been loaded predominately only with B500 and B100 notes so the max would be around B350,000. This time of night it would not likely to have been full either.

A US ATM could hold 1,000 $100 notes = $100,000, but in practice will have lower denominations as well, so in the US also, the typical loading maybe around $45,000.

The cost of replacing the machine could be around B250,000.

How much can they hold in Thai baht here? I'd think the value would be much higher.

If one bothered to read the article they may have noticed a figure of 3.5 million baht suggested.... whats that, about $110.000 USD ?

In the UK the thieves steal a JCB digger and then dig the ATM out and straight into a truck - open later at leisure. We had two ATMs stolen last week in Manchester with this method.

QUIET! (There's a load of Thais now trying to find out what the h*ll a "JCB" is... )

I used to make the buckets and various other parts for Joseph(Joe) Cyril Bamford (J.C.B) he made the first excavator with a back hoe. Other companies copied the idea and so people refered to them all as JCBs and on most Thai construction sites I have worked they still refer to them all as JCBs due to the design. I remember one of the first cases in the UK was around 40 years ago when they dug the ATM out of the wall of Nat West Bank Loughborough and loaded it on to a lorry. Amazing that they are still getting away with it in the UK with all the CCTV around.

• Like 1

Thieves use pickup to pull ATM from wall but fail to get cash
Salinee Prap
The Nation

30252039-02_big.jpg

PHUKET: -- Unknown culprits tried to rob an Siam Commercial Bank ATM machine by tying a rope round it and using a truck to pull it away from a pharmacy in Thalang district in Phuket early yesterday.

However, the thieves didn't get any money.

After reports of the attempted heist in tambon Sri Sunthorn at about 4am, police found the damaged ATM machine five metres from its original spot with the rope still tied around it and evidence of an attempt to crack it open.

A gaping hole was left in the wall of the pharmacy where the ATM had been.

The machine ended up being refilled with Bt3.5 million on Wednesday but only had Bt2 million when the heist was attempted.

Thalang deputy superintendent Pol Lt-Colonel Amnuay Kraiwutthi-anan said police were looking at footage from security cameras in the area to try to identify the suspects.

He said a witness told police that a Mitsubishi pickup left the scene headed towards tambon Cherng Thalae.

Police suspect at least two people were involved and had turned the CCTV camera on top of the machine away so it wouldn't film them.

After dragging the machine out, the culprits tried to break the machine open but it took too long so they gave up and fled.

Amnuay said the same ATM machine was also targeted last May, when the thieves also left empty-handed.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thieves-use-pickup-to-pull-ATM-from-wall-but-fail--30252039.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-17

"Two thieves attempted to rob an ATM there in June last year but also failed to get the cash out of it."

It takes practice.....eventually they will get to the money................

There was a gang in NZ called "the hole in the wall gang" who used tow trucks to rip ATM"S out of the wall, however they took the machines away with them to open at a secret location.

Something to be learned here robbers if you read this post!

ATMs can hold 1,000 notes which would be B1million if they were all B1,000 notes, which they are not. Typically they are loaded with B1,000, B500 and B100 notes so that the max would be arpund B450,000. However this machine due to its location may have been loaded predominately only with B500 and B100 notes so the max would be around B350,000. This time of night it would not likely to have been full either.

A US ATM could hold 1,000 $100 notes = $100,000, but in practice will have lower denominations as well, so in the US also, the typical loading maybe around $45,000.

Look at the op and nothing of what you say here makes sense.
  • Like 1

Really.

You had to qoute me to make you point... like the other idiot did you not read the OP and notice it was mentioned the machine was loaded with 3.5 million baht.

• Like 1

Dumb and dumber strikes again try bringing a truck with you next time. Idiots!

Not sure if a truck is the solution to the dilemma.

... at least not if the antics of these geniuses demonstrate anything. A "highly successful " farang example in Pattaya in 2012 ...

The three latesr stupid criminals in Thailand are, unfortunately, British. Three men who ran out of money (and obviously never heard of getting a job!) so decided to solve their financial problems by stealing ATM machines in Pattaya.
During their first attempt, they managed to badly damage an ATM machine at a Bangkok Bank in Bo Win. Their attempt involved tying a rope to the back of a truck, then attaching it to the ATM machine and trying to pull the machine out of the wall. Needless to say, they caused damage to the ATM machine but couldn't get the machine off the wall.
They tried twice more at other banks in the Pattaya area, and this time managed to get the machines but couldn't figure out how to open them to get the money inside. (The stupidity really is colossal at this point).

... and more

Edited by Suradit69

<snip>

Hard to get it on the back of their motor bike. smile.png

Being more serious, they must have had a larger vehicle to drag it out of the wall ??

I'd never underestimate determination.

post-86619-0-13008800-1421468375_thumb.j

watcharacters, on 16 Jan 2015 - 16:48, said:
"
Really.

You had to qoute me to make you (sic) point... like the other idiot did you not read the OP and notice it was mentioned the machine was loaded with 3.5 million baht."

+++++

Don Mega, Thanks for your post. I was having trouble sleeping at night without awareness of your astute observations. Mega point for you, indeed! Did you finally decide for the future to cut down on your sugar intake to handle your elevated stress level? 555 This board is for fun and hopefully at times for useful information for sharing with others.

"Two thieves attempted to rob an ATM there in June last year but also failed to get the cash out of it."

A torch--and for you language-challenged islanders, not a flashlight--and a pickup will give a better opportunity.

Doubtful. TIT. They will do exactly the same thing, over and over again, expecting different results. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The police said an arc welder was probably used....I suggest the police learn what an arc welder is.An arc welder is a device to weld together 2 metals If the thieves were trying to open the safe with an arc welder there were as incompetant as the police because all they would have suceeded in doing was welding it shut

The police said an arc welder was probably used....I suggest the police learn what an arc welder is.An arc welder is a device to weld together 2 metals If the thieves were trying to open the safe with an arc welder there were as incompetant as the police because all they would have suceeded in doing was welding it shut

There are cutting electrodes designed to cut metal using an arc welder.

• Like 1

Funny robbers.

More like "incompetent" rolleyes.gif

Why not build a winch into the back of the pickup, carry a couple of strong planks of wood and drag the thing aboard?

I should start giving thieving lessons...

(Maybe that's another occupation reserved for Thais whistling.gif )

And the cctv cameras were still pointing in the wrong direction, lack of education ? Thai ness ? Or plain dumb ass.

Thailand rarely bolts them to the ground.

The ones in the malls could just be wheeled out on a trolley if you're game enough to try.

I was checking a machine if it had a skimmer attached to the card slot

and how would you be able to tell? what you looking for?

Thailand rarely bolts them to the ground.

The ones in the malls could just be wheeled out on a trolley if you're game enough to try.

I was checking a machine if it had a skimmer attached to the card slot

and how would you be able to tell? what you looking for?
Read my post.

I check every atm for skimming devices before using one.

Does that ease your suspicion?

And the cctv cameras were still pointing in the wrong direction, lack of education ? Thai ness ? Or plain dumb ass.
Or simply CCTV from another shop?

the ATM machine has alarm and it's properly therefore they lad the ATM machine stay at the road....w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Police report and bank official confirm.. Billions even the exact amount the machine carried...

Thanks for the advertisement and future withdrawal.clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

And we wonder why that university lost accountability with truth in reporting...wink.png

Have you ever used an arc welder? If you crank the amerage up enough you can cut metal with one. All you have to do is keep the rod a little further away from the metal than you would while welding the metal together.

• Like 1