Which supermarkets sell Irish Stout in Bangkok

karl2007

Hello,

I have been looking everywhere to buy Irish Stout. Its actually for cooking Christmas pudding. There are recipes that don't need it. However, this is how my mum used to make it so I would like to stick to that tradition. I can find all the ingredients apart from the Irish Stout.

I have tried Tops supermarkets in the Mall Ramkamhaeng, Mall Bangakapi, Central Lad Phrao, Central Rama 9. I guess Thai people do drink it so it never stocked.

I guess I could try and buy a couple of bottles from the Irish and English pubs in Sukmuvit. But wouldn't they be more expensive than the supermarkets?

Many thank for any suggestions,

Tops, opposite Terminal 21 and directly below Robinsons. Sukhumvit soi19.

I've looked there and every other supermarket and none of them sell what I assume the OP means, ie Guiness, any longer. What stout have you bought there recently?

"I guess I could try and buy a couple of bottles from the Irish and English pubs in Sukmuvit."

You could try, but as bottled Guiness and other brands are apparently no longer imported (unless someone can specifically tell me otherwise and specifically where to buy it now), you'd have to buy a barrel. The only Guiness you'll find in Bangkok is draught.

Villa supermarkets (well the branch at Ari anyway) carry a Sri Lankan stout called 'Lion' At 8.8% its powerful stuff. I've used it for culinary purposes (Beef and Guinness pies and Beef, Guinness and Chestnut casserole) and it works fine. At 109 Baht a 500ml can the price is right too.

• Like 1

I have tried the Foodlands in Lad Phrao and Ramkhamhaeng areas. None of them sold Irish Stout. However, in Lad Phrao they do have a large collections of other foreign beer. I have never seen Irish Stout sold in any 7-Eleven.

Edited by karl2007

I've only seen Australian stouts, at Big C Extra on Ladphrao and Tops at Central Ladphrao... The only places I've seen Irish stouts are at pubs around Sukhumvit and Silom, and only seen draft. Even saying that, I believe (but may be wrong) that the Guinness here is made in Malaysia...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Cambodian ABC stout would work (and is a great drink served super cold with a limit of two for your health's sake!).

Unfortunately Thais don't seem to let Cambodian brews come cross the border, otherwise people here might catch on to how cr@p Boon Rawd et al really are!

......And Thaibev. I do not understand why Thai brewers use all their corporate might to keep foreign competitors out rather than improve the quality of their own products: I'm sure it is not beyond the wit of the 'big 2' to produce a decent bitter, a decent Dunkel, a decent stout, a decent pilsner. The Thais have and increasingly sophisticated palate for beer. It is the same laziness/arrogance/corruption by the uber rich Chinese Thais that own these companies that mean the banking sector is crap, ordinary Thai have to open street stalls instead of renting shops and cars cost more than almost anywhere on the planet.