The perfect reason for NOT learning Thai.

beenitseenitdoneit

Almost everyone on TVF is fluent in Thai...................

................until you meet them. wink.png

Even those who have been in Thailand a month.

Well it does go with the half Chinese wifey toooooo..............whistling.gif

You mean the half Chinese hi-so wifey with doctorates from Harvard and Oxford wink.png

Weeeeeeeeeeeell, I didn't mention that as I didn't want to bring my wifey into the topic..tongue.png ........laugh.png

Edited by transam
  • Like 2

Downside of learning Thai is that you get to hear what the majority of Thai people talk about on a daily basis: the most inane, trivial conversations and gossip that I've ever heard in my life. Yes, you can become totally fluent in Thai with a lot of work, but then what are you going to talk about? When I reached a level where I could understand 75% or so of what I heard around me, I completely lost interest in the language.

I saved my dogs (best friend) life because I could tell the Thai vet what was wrong with her and she got the correct medication and survived. I didn't completely lose interest in her life because she was a Thai dog.

My dog has a vocabulary of 36 words in English and 22 in Thai. My dog is smarter than most of you fellows I have no doubt and loyal and she works 24/7 for food and love. She has saved the my life (or at least from severe bodily harm/pain) 5 times in the past two years.

My advice (not that anyone cares) 1. If you want a friend get a dog. 2. Learn Thai so you can communicate with your Thai dog and it's doctor.

I get the impression a dog is the crucial link for improved communication with your thai wife. We need to explore in which extend this very unique observation can be used to improve communication in general. You see not all posts are rubbish :)
  • Like 1

Downside of learning Thai is that you get to hear what the majority of Thai people talk about on a daily basis: the most inane, trivial conversations and gossip that I've ever heard in my life. Yes, you can become totally fluent in Thai with a lot of work, but then what are you going to talk about? When I reached a level where I could understand 75% or so of what I heard around me, I completely lost interest in the language.

I saved my dogs (best friend) life because I could tell the Thai vet what was wrong with her and she got the correct medication and survived. I didn't completely lose interest in her life because she was a Thai dog.

My dog has a vocabulary of 36 words in English and 22 in Thai. My dog is smarter than most of you fellows I have no doubt and loyal and she works 24/7 for food and love. She has saved the my life (or at least from severe bodily harm/pain) 5 times in the past two years.

My advice (not that anyone cares) 1. If you want a friend get a dog. 2. Learn Thai so you can communicate with your Thai dog and it's doctor.

I get the impression a dog is the crucial link for improved communication with your thai wife. We need to explore in which extend this very unique observation can be used to improve communication in general. You see not all posts are rubbish smile.png

I also switched her phone from Samsung text to talk to google text to talk as it is much clearer and has three speeds. An interesting test is asking your wife to say synthetic; my dog can't say it either.

• Like 1

I get the impression a dog is the crucial link for improved communication with your thai wife. We need to explore in which extend this very unique observation can be used to improve communication in general. You see not all posts are rubbish smile.png

I also switched her phone from Samsung text to talk to google text to talk as it is much clearer and has three speeds. An interesting test is asking your wife to say synthetic; my dog can't say it either.

When I feel like a laugh I ask my wife to say "oil", actually we both get a good giggle out of it. She sounds like she has had an allergic reaction to something and her tongue has swollen to three times the normal size.

And as far as the op goes, is it just me or have other members noticed these guys with very few posts clocked up posting comments that are just begging for attack ?

Perhaps they are trolls on "L" plates.

• Like 2

I don't get the OP's 'not wanting to question' the delivery men. My wife has no hesitation in asking questions or, if she wanted something like a mattress moving, asking the guys to do it. All very politely and nicely, of course, but I don't think 'face' comes into it.

As to learning the language, if/when I move here, I will certainly try to get some Thai under my belt. I live in Greece, and I know for a fact that my ability to deal with most things in the language makes life one hell of a lot easier, particularly when dealing with people in the government, even if they know how to speak English. The fact that I've made the effort to communicate in their own language (even though my Greek is not really very good) tends to make them much more inclined to help, rather than hinder. They see it as a compliment and as respect. I would have thought that the same would apply in Thailand.

• Like 2

Since learning to understand conversational Thai I now have the pleasure of listen to my wife and her friends/family all constantly talk about how much they paid for everything and what is the best iPhone or tablet that is currently out, for hours on end, every time they meet up.

It was better before I realised how shallow, immature and petty they all are.

Maybe you just married the wrong lady and because you did not speak Thai before you never found out.

Maybe, but then no matter where I go I hear the exact same conversations all over Thailand, so maybe it's not just my wife's family.

The Thai prohibition on asking questions extends to directions when travelling, which counter at the airport, is that benzine you're putting in my car, are you sure that's what the doctor prescribed? thumbsup.gifwai.gif

• Like 2

I don't get the OP's 'not wanting to question' the delivery men. My wife has no hesitation in asking questions or, if she wanted something like a mattress moving, asking the guys to do it. All very politely and nicely, of course, but I don't think 'face' comes into it.

As to learning the language, if/when I move here, I will certainly try to get some Thai under my belt. I live in Greece, and I know for a fact that my ability to deal with most things in the language makes life one hell of a lot easier, particularly when dealing with people in the government, even if they know how to speak English. The fact that I've made the effort to communicate in their own language (even though my Greek is not really very good) tends to make them much more inclined to help, rather than hinder. They see it as a compliment and as respect. I would have thought that the same would apply in Thailand.

no! wink.pngwai.gif