Two men sentenced for killing and skinning a dog, posting photographs on Facebook

Lite Beer

Suggest you watch how pigs are slaughtered in Thailand SP as it's horrific and certainly less 'humane' than the way in which the unfortunate dog was dispatched.

That's why their pork is shit, and you cant get decent Ham, bacon or whatever cut of meat.

If someone could just educate them they could earn more money from the livestock, by learning the best way to kill a pig.

They know better though, farang eat from supermarket knows nothing in their minds.

Ham and bacon is cured, it's nothing to do with how it's slaughtered. Thai pork in the markets is IMHO very good and you can choose your own cut.

If a pig is stressed at time of death it secretes adrenaline and other neuro chemicals.

That leads to poor meat.

This is a myth, this is not and this is in Australia

As a dog owner also, I have to disagree with this sentencing as this was not an act of cruelty. If they were torturing the dog, or any other animal, then they deserve to be punished. However, killing an animal to eat is very different, if it was killed quickly, which it sounds like it was.

Cultural differences in appetite are not reason for punishment.

There is a law forbidding such practice, it is not cultural difference.

I like dogs, actually I think I like dogs more than I like people most of the time!

However, as others have said, it's wrong to say that killing a dog to eat it is criminal but killing a pig or a chicken or a duck is fine.

Laws protecting animals defined as "pets" exist all through the civilized world. It is criminal because laws say so and most Thai are very happy that such laws exist.

Sad, but what is the difference between killing the dog for consumption and killing a chicken, pig or a cow?coffee1.gif

yeah.. don't understand...

if it was killed with a single blow and then prepared for eating.... how is that any different to a pig?

• Like 1

A dog is mans best friend a chicken cow or pig fish etc are part of the food chain.

Cruelty in all forms is disgusting however the killing of our food sources is mostly done human land the beast doesn't suffer and people will happily sit down and eat their leg of lamb without a second thought.

However the other day the article on the ivory trade drew around 8 posts which really shows how much people care.

Mankind has a lot to answer for!

So let me get this right.

An animal will sit there licking his nuts for 20 minutes, then comes and licks your face - that's what you consider best friend material?

I'll take a dog anytime over you. Smarter for sure.

• Like 2

It's quite interesting to read this news. I have seen many Thai families who own 4-5 dogs and do not look after any of them. In the end many of these drift off to soi and become a menace to people passing by and local council will not take any actions. And because these stupid people will make claim on these animals, you cant even poison them. There are times when I used to walk around with a stick at night time to scare soi dog's away.

I agree with Somtam. What difference it makes if it s cow, chicken, lamb, pig or a dog? 1 less dog in street is one less chance to get rabies.

Wouldn't it be nice if some of that poison you put out for the dogs got eaten by your or another persons child.

Karma is what a person like you deserves.

You don't 'put' poison out you find the dog give it to it and it wolfs it down, no need to leave it lying about the place.

I like dogs, actually I think I like dogs more than I like people most of the time!

However, as others have said, it's wrong to say that killing a dog to eat it is criminal but killing a pig or a chicken or a duck is fine.

Laws protecting animals defined as "pets" exist all through the civilized world. It is criminal because laws say so and most Thai are very happy that such laws exist.

That's animalism, 'all animals are equal but some are more equal than others', i'm sure you know where that comes fromsmile.png

• Like 1

A dog is mans best friend a chicken cow or pig fish etc are part of the food chain.

Cruelty in all forms is disgusting however the killing of our food sources is mostly done human land the beast doesn't suffer and people will happily sit down and eat their leg of lamb without a second thought.

However the other day the article on the ivory trade drew around 8 posts which really shows how much people care.

That is your mentality many places around the world a dog is just another meal

Personally I dont think this was cruelty they killed it just as you would kill a Pig and then Butcher it for consumption where did the cruelty come in ?? if they threw it in the river in a tied up bag Ok thats cruelty or threw bricks at it ok but dispatching it for consumption I dont see where it is cruel.

Just because we have a different mentality does not mean that it is cruel to dispatch and eat a Dog personally I think the court was wrong in this case

Huh...

Is cruelty to animals or killing animals prohibited?

The article says cruelty, but a single blow to the head, or a shot from a gun, to kill a dog, doesn't seem overly cruel. A lethal injection would seem nicer, but it's likely not a drawn out death and there obviously aren't any intentions to cause suffering.

I would have thought that the law was in place to prevent suffering and cruelty to animals (e.g. Torture or the intentional or unintentional causing of suffering via neglect), and it's particularly annoying that this soi dog animal rights group is pushing for the jail term for someone who simply kills their dog.

Or is it simply because they were going to eat it? Or because they put pictures on facebook?

Are vets allowed to put down animals? Or is that against the law as well?

It's quite interesting to read this news. I have seen many Thai families who own 4-5 dogs and do not look after any of them. In the end many of these drift off to soi and become a menace to people passing by and local council will not take any actions. And because these stupid people will make claim on these animals, you cant even poison them. There are times when I used to walk around with a stick at night time to scare soi dog's away.

I agree with Somtam. What difference it makes if it s cow, chicken, lamb, pig or a dog? 1 less dog in street is one less chance to get rabies.

Poisoning is a very painful and slow death. If you ever poison any animal I will try and get the Police to arrest you!

Suggest you watch how pigs are slaughtered in Thailand SP as it's horrific and certainly less 'humane' than the way in which the unfortunate dog was dispatched.

That's why their pork is shit, and you cant get decent Ham, bacon or whatever cut of meat.

If someone could just educate them they could earn more money from the livestock, by learning the best way to kill a pig.

They know better though, farang eat from supermarket knows nothing in their minds.

Ham and bacon is cured, it's nothing to do with how it's slaughtered. Thai pork in the markets is IMHO very good and you can choose your own cut.

If a pig is stressed at time of death it secretes adrenaline and other neuro chemicals.

That leads to poor meat.

Correct.

And not just pigs.

"A dog is mans best friend..."

Says who? Maybe your best friend but probably not the majority of people's best friend.

You think?

I suggest you watch this;

That video was just plain nasty but had nothing in common to the way the dog was killed in the op if the report is to believed.

Huh...

Is cruelty to animals or killing animals prohibited?

The article says cruelty, but a single blow to the head, or a shot from a gun, to kill a dog, doesn't seem overly cruel. A lethal injection would seem nicer, but it's likely not a drawn out death and there obviously aren't any intentions to cause suffering.

I would have thought that the law was in place to prevent suffering and cruelty to animals (e.g. Torture or the intentional or unintentional causing of suffering via neglect), and it's particularly annoying that this soi dog animal rights group is pushing for the jail term for someone who simply kills their dog.

Or is it simply because they were going to eat it? Or because they put pictures on facebook?

Are vets allowed to put down animals? Or is that against the law as well?

"Are vets allowed to put down animals? Or is that against the law as well?"

To quote you...huh? And the comment's from a moderator. Unbelievable.

Edited by Sviss Geez

You think?

That video was just plain nasty but had nothing in common to the way the dog was killed in the op if the report is to believed.

Nor did your comparing it to the slaughtering of pigs.

But, you brought it to the conversation.

You think?

Nor did your comparing it to the slaughtering of pigs.

But, you brought it to the conversation.

Read the post I was replying to which suggested most animals which are killed for food here are killed humanely which many are definitely not.

In many cases, the animals considered as "our food sources" aren't treated humanely either! Paul Macartney said that "...if slaughter houses had glass walls, everybody would be a vegeterian".

After reading the information from "Farm Sanctuary", (google them), I stopped eating any mammal (almost two years now) and while I still eat poultry and seafood, I am considering giving that up also. I don't pretend to be better than those who kill and eat anything, it is my personal choice.

Interestingly, Edgar Rice Burroughs who wrote the Tarzan series and also the Martian series, wrote (over a century ago) about one race of Martians rebuffing an earthling's shock at eating Martian humans of other races by comparing it to people on earth eating animals!

• Like 1