Visa run and exit Thailand without entering another country?

Again the question, where on what boarder Is it possible to check out in thailand get the exit stamp , and just go back to Thailand on the same day?

Today a tourist told me, he always practice this at Cambodian boarders , without any problem , this was last , but in Lao , it's not possible , he says he half to sleep one night there before it allowed come back,?

What is now true?

You must enter the other country, Thai immigration will expect to see exit stamps from there.

There is however no requirement to remain in the other country for more than the time it takes to walk to outgoing immigration.

The '24 hours rule' is a scam employed at certain borders to get you to cough up more cash for an 'special exception to the rule'.

• Like 1

You must be stamped into and out of the other country. Thai immigration will check for the stamps.

Cambodia does have a rule that you are required to stay overnight when you enter the country with a VOA but it is not largely enforced or they charge you a fine of 300 baht for not doing it.

Burma is very easy and no need for a visa either for a simple border hop.

You do need to pay 500 baht or $10 for a border pass to enter Myanmar.

Malaysia is the only neighboring country that does not require a visa or border pass to enter.

Malaysia permits a quick border hop. If you go by train you can check out of Thailand and in and out of Malaysia very quickly at Padang Besar station. No visa required for most nationalities, but Malaysian immigration might ask you to show money to prove you can afford to travel.

I did it once on a phuket to kuala lumpur visa run, by sheer lazyness. I was already checked in so I remained in the international area until my return flight. A bit stupid but at that time I wasn't aware that immigration officers may scrutinize my passport for no apparent reason.

I did it once on a phuket to kuala lumpur visa run, by sheer lazyness. I was already checked in so I remained in the international area until my return flight. A bit stupid but at that time I wasn't aware that immigration officers may scrutinize my passport for no apparent reason.

That was luck, I think nowadays they would start to look for you, however if you fly and return with same flight that is no problem, you just have to keep both boarding pass and show Thai Immigration upon reentry.

Perfectly acceptable...I have done this several times over the years. The most recently a couple months ago to Hong Kong on a same day visa run...never stamped into HKG...just off the plane from Bangkok and into the airport transit area...and then a couple hours later, board my flight back to Bangkok. I think these rules for being stamped in/out the other country apply to visa runs by land to neighboring countries.

I'm sure many are as interested in this subject as I am..I'd like to hear more about it

If the law is that you have to exit the country, then if you can show you've just arrived from a foreign airport, you obviously have done that. The transit area of Hong Kong airport may not be Hong Kong, but it's definitely not in Thailand.

In the case of Cambodia for example it would be possible to save on both the Visa fee and the airport tax for exit.