Arab Town To Be Built In Bangkok

george

Snoophound, it won't be a ghetto, it would be high class residential/hotel/office complex targeting rich arabs visiting or already living in Bangkok.

So why can't they use the existing 5 star hotels and rent business space in existing buildings just like anyone else?

ASSIMILATE (Yes!)

INTEGRATE (Yes!)

SEGREGATE (Never!!!!)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Come with me to the restaurant. I'll pay and you can explain to the waiter. I mean it.

I also want share with you that I was chastised by a Middle Eastern waiter in an Egyptian Bangkok restaurant, for holding my girlfriends hand at the dinner table. It's considered a little offensive in their culture, like putting feet up on chairs in Thailand would be. He was right and I was wrong. I apologised. He was courteous about the matter.

I disagree with you.

Anyone who opens up an establishment in a foreign country to make money from foreign customers shouldn't be offended when foreigners behave as they normally do in their culture. In Thailand it is not an offence to hold a girlfriend's or wife's hand in a restaurant.

Since the Egyptian restaurant opens its door to foreign customers in Thailand, their waiters should not be surprised or offended because foreigners follow commonly accepted practices in Thailand.

Instead of apologizing to the waiter, I would have suggested to him that if he expects their customers to practice Middle Eastern customs and culture while dining at their restaurant in Thailand they should post a warning sign on the outside of the restaurant listing all practises and customs that will not be tolerated.

I would have reminded the waiter that this is Thailand and not Egypt and if he was offended by my holding hands with my wife or girlfriend I would be happy to leave and spend my money at another restaurant.

The waiter shows his cultural ignorance and intolerance by insisting that people in Thailand modify their behavior in a way that is acceptable to him. It amazes me that people so ethnocentric and culturally intolerant would even choose to live and work in Thailand.

Next thing he'll be want is for all female customers to cover their heads and dine in separate rooms

First get this straight.I am not a racist... ...or sick pay

You might not be racist, but your post certainly labels you as a bigot. Your "proof" that you are not - "as I am married to a Mauritian lady who is a practicing hindu." has the same value as "A dog has four legs. My cat has four legs, therefore my cat is a dog.".

Religous extremism of all shades is awful. To stereotype the 1.4 billion muslims in this world as evil is simply ignorant.

Oh, give me a break! Maybe they aren't evel but you sure don't see many of them leaping up and trying to stop the carnage and mayhem caused by the extremist folks.

well,for those of you who believe it will always be a different "brand" of islam here, makes me wonder why countries such as malaysia and indonesia have anti-israeli policies. what do these two places have to do with middle east?

the koran is anti semetic anti anti anti teaching

read it as these are not my views :o

so it doesnt matter what country you are in

its a call to unite against the infidels

and growing in popularity

rich or poor - it doesnt matter

I think most of you have absolutely no idea about muslim, there is also things like that in the bible what blackjack said. The bible and the Koran is almost identical.

Would that be the Old Testament or the New Testament that is almost identical to the Koran?

I guess that’s why people of Christian, Jewish, and Islamic faith seem to get along so well together – their holy books being practically the same and all.

BTW – Donz if I am correct you live in Australian. Please due tell how the ME (Lebanese) have been so successful in integrating into Australian society?

In regard to the original post – hard to tell really how this will play out in Thailand. Could turn out to be good or bad; really not enough info in the original post to make much of a call either way.

I think most of you have absolutely no idea about muslim, there is also things like that in the bible what blackjack said. The bible and the Koran is almost identical.

Would that be the Old Testament or the New Testament that is almost identical to the Koran?

I guess that’s why people of Christian, Jewish, and Islamic faith seem to get along so well together – their holy books being practically the same and all.

BTW – Donz if I am correct you live in Australian. Please due tell how the ME (Lebanese) have been so successful in integrating into Australian society?

In regard to the original post – hard to tell really how this will play out in Thailand. Could turn out to be good or bad; really not enough info in the original post to make much of a call either way.

you are wrong in your assumption go here - go here http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dbates/koran5.htm

I don't see a problem. All those young men will be enchanted and find themselves busy at Nana etc. and everyone will end up a lot happier.

they wont be happy, you dont find virgins at Nana. they will have to kill some infidels to get em,

that would be us Thais. not a pretty thought. It's a clash of cultures, like it was 1000 yrs ago. Today we have liberals in the western nations and radicals in the muslim nations.

bottom line In the west you can be christian, buddhist, jewish, hindu, even muslim or nothing at all. In muslim countires you can be muslim.... or dead. make your choice

Our Donzo knows as much about "persons of ME appearance" in Sydney, as he does about Thailand or nuclear fusion. :o

Mate I know more about ME people then you do about yourself. I grew up in canterbury, went to Kingsgrove High which is the next suburb in lakemba and even been to Lakemba mosque.

There is idiot in all religions. Ive had the lebs and Indo preach to me like crazy but im not a believer in gods (apart from myself)

And now your saying i know heaps about nuclear fusion? I know you think im smart, but no that smart old fella

Its the old testament thats pretty simular, the only thing is that they dont think Jesus in gods son but a messanger, a few other differences too but its not that much difference.

The lebs are intergrating OK, not as good as everone else, but its usually a handful of them who cause the trouble. ALot of them are good and just want to believe in there faith,

You guys been watching too much TV I think.

Snoophound, it won't be a ghetto, it would be high class residential/hotel/office complex targeting rich arabs visiting or already living in Bangkok.

So why can't they use the existing 5 star hotels and rent business space in existing buildings just like anyone else?

Because they don't want their restaurants to serve pork, liqueur and prostitutes like any other hotel.

As for brands of Islam, Thailand can hope that they will practice the same one like hundreds of thousands local muslims in Bangkok.

Its the old testament thats pretty simular, the only thing is that they dont think Jesus in gods son but a messanger, a few other differences too but its not that much difference.

The lebs are intergrating OK, not as good as everone else, but its usually a handful of them who cause the trouble. ALot of them are good and just want to believe in there faith,

You guys been watching too much TV I think.

i dunno

their mind set is SET

this is not fundamentalist stuff its basic Koran teaching

go here http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dbates/koran5.htm

Yes we all seen that before, its pretty much made up and the words have been changed to make it sound bad.

Yeah some are pretty aggressive people, but you just need to clamp down on them and keep everything in control. Just coz there mussies doesnt mean we should give them no right etc.

I say let them do it, be strict and let them know that they wont be getting no islamic state or anything.

Arab town in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Thai-based Rajthanee Realty, two Saudi investors and a UAE sheikh are building a $160m "Arab Town" in Bangkok, according to the Bangkok Post. The 2m sqft development will include a hotel, residential and office buildings, general amenities and a mosque.

Rajthanee chairman Dr Boon Vanasin says more Middle Easterners are moving to Asia, particularly Malaysia, because they felt less welcome in Europe and America due to issues related to terrorism.

--Agencies 2006-08-17

There goes the neighborhood !!!!!

I rarely post here. I draw no conclusions, just try to present some facts of which the vast majority of those here seem to be unaware.

First of all, Arab does not imply Moslem. Second, Moslem Arabs should not be stereotyped. Even two individuals from the same country can be as different as, say, two Spaniards. There may be some typical traits, but they are not universal.

Arab countries differ greatly in their levels of religious freedom. In many cases, there was a greater degree of religious tolerance in Arab countries up until around 1940 than in many Western countries. Countries like Syria, Iraq and Lebanon have long had Christian communities that lived peacefully with their Moslem neighbours until relatively recently. In Iraq, Christians only began to have problems after the Americans, in their infinite wisdom (not!) decided to replace an (admittedly brutal) secular government with one controlled by Moslem mullahs, and not the more moderate ones either.

Posts that suggest all Arab men (or all Moslems: the posts are not always clear about that) are only here for alcohol and sex is a gross generalisation that, like most generalisations, is off base. Many Arab visitors are here with their whole families. Many are, in fact, rather conservative and about as likely to be seen in Nana Plaza as the pope.

Terrorist groups that are often portrayed in the media as "moslem fundamentalists" are nothing of the kind. If they are to be described in religious terms at all, they are members of "extremist cults". They are no more representative of Islam than David Koresh or the Lord's Resistance Army is of Christianity; Aum Shinrikyo of Buddhism; or Nathuram Godse of Hinduism.

It is a fact that Islam in some societies takes a strict, even (to Western eyes) barbaric approach to law enforcement and general regulation of human affairs. It is also a fact that these societies normally have the overwhelming support of their members, men and women. Those bemoaning the sight of fully covered Moslem women, assuming them to be dressed in such a manner under duress would be well advised to talk to some of them. I have yet to meet a Moslem woman dressed in this manner, who indicated she would prefer to dress differently. I have read, and believe, that women have been forced to dress in a way they do not choose by religious police in places like Afghanistan. In cases where people themselves choose a different form of society than that I would choose for myself, I am not going to tell them that I know better.

The Koran provides no more justification for mass murder than the Bible, inaccurate and selective quotes notwithstanding.

Unfortunately, identification with ones own kind while demonising groups that look different is part of the human tribal instinct. One would wish that the media would try to educate people on the realities in the world and defuse these kinds of mindless hatred. Unfortunately, as with anti-semitism in the 1930s, the media today seem bent on inflaming the situation by presenting events out of context and using inappropriate language.

I rarely post here. I draw no conclusions, just try to present some facts of which the vast majority of those here seem to be unaware.

First of all, Arab does not imply Moslem. Second, Moslem Arabs should not be stereotyped. Even two individuals from the same country can be as different as, say, two Spaniards. There may be some typical traits, but they are not universal.

Arab countries differ greatly in their levels of religious freedom. In many cases, there was a greater degree of religious tolerance in Arab countries up until around 1940 than in many Western countries. Countries like Syria, Iraq and Lebanon have long had Christian communities that lived peacefully with their Moslem neighbours until relatively recently. In Iraq, Christians only began to have problems after the Americans, in their infinite wisdom (not!) decided to replace an (admittedly brutal) secular government with one controlled by Moslem mullahs, and not the more moderate ones either.

Posts that suggest all Arab men (or all Moslems: the posts are not always clear about that) are only here for alcohol and sex is a gross generalisation that, like most generalisations, is off base. Many Arab visitors are here with their whole families. Many are, in fact, rather conservative and about as likely to be seen in Nana Plaza as the pope.

Terrorist groups that are often portrayed in the media as "moslem fundamentalists" are nothing of the kind. If they are to be described in religious terms at all, they are members of "extremist cults". They are no more representative of Islam than David Koresh or the Lord's Resistance Army is of Christianity; Aum Shinrikyo of Buddhism; or Nathuram Godse of Hinduism.

It is a fact that Islam in some societies takes a strict, even (to Western eyes) barbaric approach to law enforcement and general regulation of human affairs. It is also a fact that these societies normally have the overwhelming support of their members, men and women. Those bemoaning the sight of fully covered Moslem women, assuming them to be dressed in such a manner under duress would be well advised to talk to some of them. I have yet to meet a Moslem woman dressed in this manner, who indicated she would prefer to dress differently. I have read, and believe, that women have been forced to dress in a way they do not choose by religious police in places like Afghanistan. In cases where people themselves choose a different form of society than that I would choose for myself, I am not going to tell them that I know better.

The Koran provides no more justification for mass murder than the Bible, inaccurate and selective quotes notwithstanding.

Unfortunately, identification with ones own kind while demonising groups that look different is part of the human tribal instinct. One would wish that the media would try to educate people on the realities in the world and defuse these kinds of mindless hatred. Unfortunately, as with anti-semitism in the 1930s, the media today seem bent on inflaming the situation by presenting events out of context and using inappropriate language.

Got to be said, that's probably the best post written in this thread. Good to read something sensible in amongst the mindless drivel that 90% of the other posts have been.

i dunno

their mind set is SET

[/quote

Oh, a fundamentalist Christian website! Now THAT wouldn't be biased at all, would it? For those who can't be bothered, this site contains amazingly basic bs, totally Islamophobic, predictably enough.

I hope that arabs will deal with terrorists like the chinese handle everything within the community. They must stop waiting at the sides and act actively.

I think the greater part are just scared and speak just like the terrorists/fundamentelists wants...

I hope that the Thai people keep a sharp eye on those arabs and kick out or slam 'm anyone tries to harm people staying in Thailand

"Unfortunately, as with anti-semitism in the 1930s, the media today seem bent on inflaming the situation by presenting events out of context and using inappropriate language."

We are letting these few people (the media people) ruin our society in their greed to get money by selling their wares to the greatest number.

To get the greatest sales they deliberately write to grab our attention via our lowest instincts/prejudices.

Just look at how "Arab Town" has been inserted in this newspaper article.

"Freedom" should never include the freedom to harm to others. But the media's abuse of 'freedom of speech' in pursuit of the satisfaction of their own greed is, in fact, harming everyone.

"Unfortunately, as with anti-semitism in the 1930s, the media today seem bent on inflaming the situation by presenting events out of context and using inappropriate language."

We are letting these few people (the media people) ruin our society in their greed to get money by selling their wares to the greatest number.

To get the greatest sales they deliberately write to grab our attention via our lowest instincts/prejudices.

"Freedom" should never include the freedom to harm to others. But the media's abuse of 'freedom of speech' in pursuit of the satisfaction of their own greed is, in fact, harming everyone.

Thanks, Martin. Another point is the distinct lack of mainstream media sources which present an alternative point of view....

An example of the way in which even supposedly "neutral" media influence people's thinking about events occurred on BBC World News last night. Most of the news space was devoted to the charge of "cheating" (ball tampering) by the Pakistani cricket team in the UK. A tiny item about the train crash in Egypt minimised the aspects of loss of life & focused on the twisted wreckage and poor state of the railway service in Egypt. A further item about the continued detention of 11 alleged terrorists, quoted police statistics on the number of mobile phones, computers etc which had been checked out in the course of the investigation: making the size of the "plot" and the hard work of the police the most significant aspects of the story, rather than the substance of the allegations against these particular people.

I imagine that most unthinking people watching such news would have emerged from their armchairs with an overall picture that Pakistanis are dirty cheats, Egyptians are incompetent, and we can all be grateful to the British government and police for busting this "massive" (Muslim) terrorist threat: cumulative picture = identification of Islam and Muslim countries with all kinds of negative values.

What might have been reported instead? Anything at all which showed a Muslim community working and living together harmoniously, positive aspects of many people working tirelessly to save lives after the train wreck, a story about the human and material cost of the bombing and invasion of Lebanon by the Israelis.

If the media was "objective" as it claims to be, why this focus on Islamophobic stories, piled on top of each other? And as you have very astutely noted, the provocative title of "Arab Town" in this particular article begs for an anti-Arab reaction. Since most people automatically conflate "Arab" with "Muslim", the story can be seen as inviting anti-Muslim sentiment....and judging by the postings on this thread it has been wildly successful. Wake up. folks, the media and their big-business oil-company advertising sponsors are having a loan of you.

i dunno

their mind set is SET

[/quote

Oh, a fundamentalist Christian website! Now THAT wouldn't be biased at all, would it? For those who can't be bothered, this site contains amazingly basic bs, totally Islamophobic, predictably enough.

FB

you always totally amaze me

here is a site that sets out on one side of the page the christian belief and on the other side the Islamic belief

let people decide

stop making up peoples minds for them and being so off the cuff judgemental and P.C.

let them read it as

People need to be aware of these teachings as they are discriminatory and very very dangerous in the minds of young children

IN CASE you didnt realise it the Sura prefix ie Sura 5:51 means that its from the Koran - its not made up by the christians

I can only summise that you have never lived in a majority Muslim country

millions will disagree with you

Prophet, make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal rigorously with them. hel_l shall be their home: an evil fate.

Sura 9:73

I imagine that most unthinking people watching such news would have emerged from their armchairs with an overall picture that Pakistanis are dirty cheats, Egyptians are incompetent, and we can all be grateful to the British government and police for busting this "massive" (Muslim) terrorist threat: cumulative picture = identification of Islam and Muslim countries with all kinds of negative values.

but the Pakistanis did cheat in that match , the Egyptian railway system is poorly run , and we should be grateful to the police for busting that ring of terrorists. why not just let the facts speak for themselves instead of showing your immaturity , superficiality and ignorance by seeing racism everywhere , especially where it doesnt exist.

how can you report news if you dont give the full facts , a cricket team cheated yesterday and a train crashed somewhere.

when there is a train crash in the uk , then you can bet your blinkered little life that the inquiry will be public and the press , including the BBC , will investigate every possible cause in order to find out where responsibility lies and how to prevent a recurrence.....and will take every opportunity to name and shame those at fault.

whites , christians and jews get named and shamed frequently , whats so precious about muslims that they should be protected???

Thanks, Martin. Another point is the distinct lack of mainstream media sources which present an alternative point of view....

An example of the way in which even supposedly "neutral" media influence people's thinking about events occurred on BBC World News last night. Most of the news space was devoted to the charge of "cheating" (ball tampering) by the Pakistani cricket team in the UK. A tiny item about the train crash in Egypt minimised the aspects of loss of life & focused on the twisted wreckage and poor state of the railway service in Egypt. A further item about the continued detention of 11 alleged terrorists, quoted police statistics on the number of mobile phones, computers etc which had been checked out in the course of the investigation: making the size of the "plot" and the hard work of the police the most significant aspects of the story, rather than the substance of the allegations against these particular people.

What might have been reported instead? Anything at all which showed a Muslim community working and living together harmoniously, positive aspects of many people working tirelessly to save lives after the train wreck, a story about the human and material cost of the bombing and invasion of Lebanon by the Israelis.

If the media was "objective" as it claims to be, why this focus on Islamophobic stories, piled on top of each other? And as you have very astutely noted, the provocative title of "Arab Town" in this particular article begs for an anti-Arab reaction. Since most people automatically conflate "Arab" with "Muslim", the story can be seen as inviting anti-Muslim sentiment....and judging by the postings on this thread it has been wildly successful. Wake up. folks, the media and their big-business oil-company advertising sponsors are having a loan of you.

Oh common now

Called it China Town

call it Korea Town

but cant call it Arab Town

give me a break

now she take a left turn an introduces the old oil conspiracy

good grief says Charlie Brown

I will repeat my earlier public warning.

Anti-arab and anti-muslim comments will not be tolerated on this forum.

Please read the Forum Rules.

Continued violations of the rules will result in warnings and/or suspensions issued to offenders.

Thanks for your understanding.

On behalf of the ThaiVisa moderating team.

the provocative title of "Arab Town" in this particular article begs for an anti-Arab reaction.

begs for anti arab reaction :o:D:D

you idiot.

..........in the same way as the millions of chinese are up in arms about all the chinatowns ,

and all the italians are complaining about "little italy's".

what would you have as an alternative name for a project funded by arab money , managed by saudi high flyers whose purpose is to house and attend to the customs and culture of arab people?

tel a-fukcing-viv ? :D:D