Thailand: Fishy purchases of outdoor playground equipment under probe

webfact

Fishy purchases of outdoor playground equipment under probe

1-20-2015-6-03-41-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The purchases of outdoor playground and children fitness equipment since early 2012-January 2014 worth over 700 million baht by the Department of Physical Education is under probe by the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) as many equipment were bought at seven times higher than market price,.

The purchases were contained in 17 agreements in which 13 are for exercise and recreation equipment while the remainder is for futsal pitches.

The deals aroused the attention of the PACC following complaints from several schools which received the equipment although they did not ask for them.

The investigation was prompted by the fact that many items had been bought at price much higher than those on the open market and furthermore the purchase agreement contains many questionable entries.

The 17 agreements that the Department of Physical Education entered into between 2012 – January 2014 are with 6 companies.

These companies are Lifestrong Service Co. Ltd. Located in Si Saket province, Marathon (Thailand) Co. Ltd. in Bangkok, United Sport Development Co. Ltd. in Pathumthani province, Playground and Fitness Marketing Co. Ltd. in Bangkok, Thai Work Fitness Co. Ltd. in Ubon Ratchathani province and Sun Sports Marketing Co. Ltd. located in Nonthaburi province.

We are on the premises of Sun Sports Marketing Co. Ltd. one of the companies with agreements with the Department of Physical Education to provide exercise and recreation equipment. The company is situated in a one room commercial building which is located in Bang Bua Thong district in Nonthaburi province. There are 5 – 6 staff employed and when questioned revealed that the company receives purchase orders which is sent to them from the sales branch.

One of the companies in question, Sun Sports Marketing, specializes in providing sports and recreation equipment.

Its office is strategically located very close to the Wat Laharn municipal school in Bang Bua Thong district.

The company recently installed exercise equipment at the school valued at 980,000 baht which is a huge jump from the 150,000 baht price for similar equipment in the country of origin.

Dr Suwatra Sithilor, the present permanent-secretary of the Ministry of tourism and Sport who was also the former director of the Department of Physical Education iterated he had already left his former position when the agreements were signed.

He said that even though his ministry has not been contacted by the Office of Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission, the ministry has asked for the heads of the Department of Physical Education and the Tourism Department to clarify the matter by providing documentation to them.

The discrepancies in prices as well as the suspicious location in which the actual agreement was entered into must be explained by all individuals involved, he stated.

Of all the 6 companies involved in providing sports and playground equipment for the Department of Physical Education, it has been discovered that one company in particular has in the past been hired by numerous local administrative bodies all over the country for similar equipment on 100 separate occasions.

The total value of all these transactions is estimated to be worth several 100 million baht.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fishy-purchases-outdoor-playground-equipment-probe

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-20

The company recently installed exercise equipment at the school valued at 980,000 baht which is a huge jump from the 150,000 baht price for similar equipment in the country of origin.

Why did they have to import these things anyway? Was it too complicated to produce (read copy) them in Thailand? tongue.png

ezzra post # 5.

Why is everything done in this country reeks of corruption? can anyone do something

without stealing lying and cheating his very own countrymen and women?

what propel Thai officials and Thai people in general to conceder stealing as a first option and

forgo honesty and decency as the plague??? and yet proclaim themselves as pious Buddhist

making merits and revering the teaching of Buddhism?

Proclaim themselves as pious Buddhist

It's an ingrained habit theft and corruption.

Even the religion the Thai's proclaim and defend so stoutly is not Thai in origin it is of Indian origin .

Thai's can't even leav

Why is everything done in this country reeks of corruption? can anyone do something

what propel Thai officials and Thai people in general to conceder stealing as a first option and

forgo honesty and decency as the plague??? and yet proclaim themselves as pious Buddhist

clap2.gif

At least those involved got some exercise rushing to the bank to deposit their bungs.

I can't even imagine what Thailand would be like if govt. thieves and their associates did not rape the treasury. If all stolen money went to schools/education/roads etc. this place would be so much more modern/efficient/functional.

If all the stolen money went to schools, education and roads, i have no doubt it would be stolen by them before giving benefit.

• Like 2

It's ingrained from birth, work hard, get to a position of some power/influence (whilst doing smaller illegal things along the way), then when you get higher up, you can do whatever the hell you want cos that's your "right", you've "earned" it.

Another contract I know of has just been awarded to an "unconnected" outside vendor (nothing to do with playground equipment, this is a bank), at 10 x times the actual value of the project. It happens in every aspect of Thai life from day 1, and it won't be stopping any time soon.

• Like 2

clap2.gif

clap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

If Thailand/lieland would give consequences for illegal/unsocial behavior i.e. punishment/jail/ loss of finances there would be a drastic drop in corruption. If not the me me me me me mentality will continue with only the BS remarks a/b loving Thailand.

I'd be interested to see the list of owners of these companies

anyway, every government purchase in the last 3 years should be examined - I say 3 years because anything longer would take years to conclude

I'd put money on it that every project that was processed in both the public sector and private sector - someone got a wad of cash and the money will be in stashes in one of their houses

Why did they have to import these things anyway? Was it too complicated to produce (read copy) them in Thailand? tongue.png

There are customs officers here that make over a million US$ per month and still complain that life is expensive...

I live really near this area and in our village we have fitness equipment outside too. I see the Thai using it a lot as my home looks out over the park. I wonder if the people who manage this village also took a kickback. There is a permanent shortage of money here in this village as some decide not to pay. Still.. think the people managing might have taken a cut.

This is not an isolated incident and sadly is applied to most government purchases Thais cannot help themselves when it comes to easy money.

IMO The Kingdom of Thailand is morally bankrupt.

Isn't that a paradox? giggle.gif

;)

I have no idea why the various Thai agencies go thru these exercises in futility as, even if money were stolen or, bribes being paid or, both, no money will be returned nor anyone punished. I've seen over 1,000 such "revelations and, though billions went " missing" no one ended up in the slammer !

Let the cleansing light of publicity shine on this & similar 'deals', and the blame & criminal-charges follow, on whoever & wherever they may lead ! thumbsup.gif

Agree. Of course there will be the usual annoying comments from pathetic members criticizing the PM if he involves himself with outdoor playground and children fitness equipment

I have no idea why the various Thai agencies go thru these exercises in futility as, even if money were stolen or, bribes being paid or, both, no money will be returned nor anyone punished. I've seen over 1,000 such "revelations and, though billions went " missing" no one ended up in the slammer !

A tad inaccurate but mostly correct. Nobody 'important' went in the slammer and none of the money was ever retrieved and assets never taken and sold on at auction (as a means to punish those on the take / send a clear message to other slippery, unscrupulous lackeys)