History On Thaivisa?

thaibebop

Should Thaivisa have a Thai history section?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been looking all over for a forum or a source that one can find Thai history to discuss or review. There are not many books I can find in english here in America, so the internet is my only way to continue to learn at the moment.

However, I found little to nothing and what I what I have found is crap. Poorly run sites with poorly mannered people. I though about creating a thread or a few threads to dicuss Thai history. I am not sure where that would go and what people might have an interest in.

So, I thought I would ask if people here would like to see some Thai history discussion as part of Thaivisa and what your interests might be. Then maybe we all can work something out as to where to post and what to post.

Thanks,

Thaibebop

...why know? :D

Because it would be interesting. I think it's a good idea, Bops. We could even have quizzes. Tots, in his new appointed position, can check everyone's results. :o

I'm serious about the first part, though. :D

I have seen many people get into historical discussions here and I have learned alot. Since there in no other decent website that wishes to handle Thai history, why shouldn't a website like Thaivisa be the first to do the subject justice? I think it's a great idea and I am glad you agree Tip. :D

I have to know...why no? :o

The voter might have mistakenly thought it might mean having to close down the

incredibly-busy "Krabi Forum" to make room.

I voted an enthusiastic YES...

There's not much point having a Thai history section. If it's accurate/a forum for debate it will result in Thai Visa being (at the least) blocked by the Thai authorities.

(Noises off: 'Oh no it won't!)

<Admin snip>

I voted no ...

because of the limitations imposed by topics tht cannot be discussed openly it would be better done elsewhere

I voted yes

I think there would be a way could be found to discuss those particular topics no? Even if not I still think it would be useful

O.K., we move it. Can't move it to Bedlam. Otherwise we'd be talking about intergalactic alien spaceships beaming up Khall, Bops, and Tots after post #6. :D

Anyone have any ideas? Mods? Perhaps we can petition Tots or Chon? Put them to work doing some community service. :o

I'm with jdinasia on this one. The history of any country is controversial, and can lead to heated debates (read flaming and trolling!). To debate the history of a country who's government is a little sensitive as to what it's general population can see would turn the mods grey overnight.

As interesting as the threads would be bops, I think it would jeopardise all the other threads. It needs to be done on a forum outside of the LOS and the length of time that members located in Thailand would be able to contribute is a finite thing.

Great idea, but too risky.

I voted no ...

because of the limitations imposed by topics tht cannot be discussed openly it would be better done elsewhere

I voted yes

I think there would be a way could be found to discuss those particular topics no? Even if not I still think it would be useful

Where there's a will there's a way. It can't be done, won't be done, until you think you can. Anyone remember the Little Train That Could?

If there need to be a few specific guidelines to be followed that shouldn't be a problem. We could accept the responsibility to moderate ourselves, too.

Think solutions here.

I voted no ...

valid point I hadn't really considered until you mentioned it.

I voted no ...

I voted yes

hmmm.. based on some thread's track records, I have my doubts... :o

I'm with jdinasia on this one. The history of any country is controversial, and can lead to heated debates (read flaming and trolling!). To debate the history of a country who's government is a little sensitive as to what it's general population can see would turn the mods grey overnight.

They already are.... that is, for those that still got hair to grey :D

... that's something they probably didn't inform Totster about. :D

Edited by sriracha john

I voted no ...

I voted yes

Where there's a will there's a way. It can't be done, won't be done, until you think you can. Anyone remember the Little Train That Could?

If there need to be a few specific guidelines to be followed that shouldn't be a problem. We could accept the responsibility to moderate ourselves, too.

Think solutions here.

There are solutions .... T.V. doesn't have to do everything ... thereare sites with info on Thailand's history out there that are pretty decent. Where you can discuss what happened in 1946 ... etc etc

We already have had people trolling the political threads making outrageous unbelievable claims ... just imagine when they come back saying " I was there! and XXX killed YYY"

There are solutions .... T.V. doesn't have to do everything ... thereare sites with info on Thailand's history out there that are pretty decent. Where you can discuss what happened in 1946 ... etc etc

We already have had people trolling the political threads making outrageous unbelievable claims ... just imagine when they come back saying " I was there! and XXX killed YYY"

Well, I'll stand by my conviction that if you think you can't then you won't. Conversely, if you think you can then you will. There are solutions to every problem. I'll be the first to admit, too, that it's always beneficial to hear the negative from folks because they'll ofttimes bring up valid points which one hasn't considered.

And you might be quite right, jd, to take this idea elsewhere. But it's still worth seeing what we can do here.

As interesting as the threads would be bops, I think it would jeopardise all the other threads. It needs to be done on a forum outside of the LOS and the length of time that members located in Thailand would be able to contribute is a finite thing.

Great idea, but too risky.

I agree with this .

I think the issue isnt' so much hinting at inaccuracies but discussing topics that are taboo. There are some very strict laws in this country and I think alot of us expats living in Thailand would be quite unhappy if TV got blocked because of some trouble making posters.

And believe me, there are enough ones out there.

Still, I'm a history buff, think its a great idea, I'm just not sure if TV open forum is the place for this idea.

I think the issue isnt' so much hinting at inaccuracies but discussing topics that are taboo. There are some very strict laws in this country and I think alot of us expats living in Thailand would be quite unhappy if TV got blocked because of some trouble making posters.

Still, I'm a history buff, think its a great idea, I'm just not sure if TV open forum is the place for this idea.

Hey SBK, just quoting The Holy Grail: :o

The media are free to criticise government policies, and cover instances of corruption and human rights abuses, but journalists tend to exercise self-censorship regarding the military, the monarchy, the judiciary and other sensitive issues.

It does sounds like an incredibly grey area....

exactly what I was saying above ... but far more eloquent

exactly what I was saying above ... but far more eloquent

Of course, jd. sbk is a refined and eloquent woman. You're just a loudmouthed moron. :D

Just kiddding, ya know. :D

Well, so far history class seems to be cancelled. Darn, I just needed a few more credits for my high school diploma! :o