Ivy

I am not sure what Brits call the plant that covers their buildings and grows tightly to the walls, but it is quite attractive to my eye.

However, in the US it is called "grape ivy" and I have used it on many walls there. The leaf is about the size of a finger nail.

I noticed it growing on a golf course wall in Chiang Mai so snipped some off and took it to the nursery area behind Tesco North on Superhighway and found it readily available, usually five baht a plant depending on size.

I planted it along the perimeter wall of my driveway and in two years it was completely filled in. No watering necessary after it got started.

Now it has extended itself all along the other side of the wall as well and up the side of my house and requires pruning every two months to keep it close to the wall look. Electric hedge trimmer does the job very well.

If you have time, just visit the nursery shops behind Tesco and I have found it usually available in a couple of the shops you first encounter after making the first left turn around the pottery outlet.

It sure beats keeping walls painted but it will grow where you don't want it unless you keep an eye on it.

Edited by ProThaiExpat