Certified Copy of Australian Marriage Certificate Every Year?

Hi All,

My wife and I moved to Chiang Mai 18 Months ago. After the initial 90 days I went onto a retirement visa for 1 year and my wife on a dependant visa also for 1 year.

I have renewed my retirement visa but the wife had to go back to Oz for a few months so needs to get her 1 year dependant visa in about 2 months.

The first time I had 2 copies of our marriage certificate verified by the Honorary Consular in Chiang Mai. Now according to immigration the copy is out of date and we need to get our certificate verified again. Apparently the consular can not do this now so we have to make a trip to Bangkok to do that.

I don't mind doing that for valid reason but this seems stupid rule as we only got married once and if we we separated my wife would not be wanting a dependant visa.

Any one else have this problem?

My wife and I moved to Chiang Mai 18 Months ago. After the initial 90 days I went onto a retirement visa for 1 year and my wife on a dependant visa also for 1 year.

You obtained extensions of stay based on retirement and being a dependent, not visas.

Did your wife's extension of stay expire while she was gone? If the extension of stay did not expire, did she get a re-entry permit to preserve the extension of stay? Is she re-entering (or has she re-entered) Thailand with a new non-imm O visa or on the re-entry permit?

It may make a difference if she is starting off on a visa and then applying for a new dependent extension of stay rather than just renewing an existing one that is still valid.

...so needs to get her 1 year dependant visa in about 2 months.

Is she currently back in Thailand and still on a valid dependent extension of stay that expires in two months or did she re-enter on a visa? If the latter, what kind of visa?

Edited by Suradit69

Hi,

Sorry for the use of incorrect terminology. Extension of stay should have been used.

I understand all that is required what I don't understand, and am asking about is, is why I need a certified, verified, validated or whatever the term should be copy of our marriage certificate with a recent date.

As I mentioned I had 2 copies done towards the end of 2013. Now they want a copy again (I accept this) but they are saying that copy is out of date and needs another copy with a more recent date.

Means a trip to BKK from CNX just to get stamp on a photocopy.

You obtained extensions of stay based on retirement and being a dependent, not visas.

Did your wife's extension of stay expire while she was gone? If the extension of stay did not expire, did she get a re-entry permit to preserve the extension of stay? Is she re-entering (or has she re-entered) Thailand with a new non-imm O visa or on the re-entry permit?

It may make a difference if she is starting off on a visa and then applying for a new dependent extension of stay rather than just renewing an existing one that is still valid.

...so needs to get her 1 year dependant visa in about 2 months.

Is she currently back in Thailand and still on a valid dependent extension of stay that expires in two months or did she re-enter on a visa? If the latter, what kind of visa?

The certification of you marriage certificate should only need to be done once. You then make a copy of it sign and date it and attach it to the extension application every year.

Who at immigration told you that a new certification was needed.

The certification of you marriage certificate should only need to be done once. You then make a copy of it sign and date it and attach it to the extension application every year.

I use an agent and she told me they told her. I don't know who.

I think you got some wrong info or it is a misunderstanding since you are getting your info 2nd hand.

You do have the original certified marriage certificate don't you?. Did the agent show them your original?

I think you got some wrong info or it is a misunderstanding since you are getting your info 2nd hand.

You do have the original certified marriage certificate don't you?. Did the agent show them your original?

Yes we have the original and last year we showed them and gave them a copy. This year I send photo of photocopy to agent to make sure was ok. I don't know who she showed at immigration but they are saying copy is too old.

Yes we have the original and last year we showed them and gave them a copy. This year I send photo of photocopy to agent to make sure was ok. I don't know who she showed at immigration but they are saying copy is too old.

I think them just seeing the copy of copy was part of the problem. Was the copy signed and dated. A copy cannot be to old unless it is dated.

I think if they see the original and a copy of it you should not a have a problem,