Ex-minister Boonsong and 20 others faulted for corruption in fake G-to-G rice deals by NACC

Lite Beer

Does anyone really believe that any person involved in this corrupt action will ever be fined a significant amount or spend any meaningful time in jail?

Hopefully, yes. Actually, I would like to see senior PTP members publicly flogged to death, but a bit much to wish for.

I'm waiting for the first one to squeal "I was just following Thaksin's orders."

Didn't work in Nuremburg, but worth a try here. Hmmm, perhaps not recently.

I don't think anyone would dare to say even "Moo" to testify against Thaksin.

So why does is the headline fussing over 65,000 mt. I somehow think that his empeachment over 14mn might just be a little more significant.

I suspect it is easier for your to nitpick the reporting than to discuss the actual crime.

Just some obfuscation. The 65,000 tonnes seems actually sold and has been delivered, the 14 million tonnes was just plans announced. As a criminal case the 65,000 tonnes is therefore more important. Further shenanigans with the 14 million tonnes have been prevented although I'm sure T@H would have liked to have seen that completed as well so the court had an extra criminal case wink.png

Does anyone really believe that any person involved in this corrupt action will ever be fined a significant amount or spend any meaningful time in jail?

They already have.

BANGKOK: -- The Samut Prakarn provincial court Tuesday sentenced a close aide to ex-pm Thaksin Shinawatra to six years in jail and fined him Bt12,000 after finding him guilty of embezzlement and fraud for his failure to deliver a Bt200-million rice shipment to Iran.

Rice miller gets 20 years in jail for rice pledging frauds

• Like 1

They already have.

BANGKOK: -- The Samut Prakarn provincial court Tuesday sentenced a close aide to ex-pm Thaksin Shinawatra to six years in jail and fined him Bt12,000 after finding him guilty of embezzlement and fraud for his failure to deliver a Bt200-million rice shipment to Iran.

Yes but that is just small fry.. sorry for the junta to be convincing some of the high level PTP should be jailed. (fat chance as the unspoken rule between the elite is that they don't jail them as the tables could be turned once)

Poor guy - he was just following orders.

He was told to fake some deals to give the rice scheme some credibility because the true enormity of the loss and corruption was becoming clear and they had nothing to offer in it's defence.

He had no choice but to comply : even the worst case of a few years in prison is nothing compared to the personal financial ruin which would have befallen him under orders from Dubai should he have refused. It's all we could expect from a crony : can you blame a fox for stealing a chicken ?.

So rests the case for the defence ...

• Like 1

They already have.

Yes but that is just small fry.. sorry for the junta to be convincing some of the high level PTP should be jailed. (fat chance as the unspoken rule between the elite is that they don't jail them as the tables could be turned once)
But...but...those with the Red Eye glasses have convinced me to truly believe that elites are only found at a Democratic convention...now I don't know what to believe as it seems elites also exist in the Red mist.

Signed

Confused

So why does is the headline fussing over 65,000 mt. I somehow think that his empeachment over 14mn might just be a little more significant.

I suspect it is easier for your to nitpick the reporting than to discuss the actual crime.

65,000 Mt out of 75,000,000.

If this is what they have, I guess the country should be happy it wasn't 6,500,000 mt

You seem to think that the amount involved is insignificant and can be ignored. Why should the country be happy ? The country should be happy if there was 'nil' out of 6,500,000 mt.

Edited by NeilSA1

If this is what they have, I guess the country should be happy it wasn't 6,500,000 mt

First off, that's the tonnage of one or two alleged fraudulent maneuvers, we don't know how many more there had been. Secondly, it doesn't make them look one bit better, in my view, if they used their disastrous policy to skim a relatively small amount of money, people that deliberately cause enormous amounts of damage to get a relatively small benefit are not exactly what I'd call good people.

Who is calling anyone good. I am not.

So they have thrown the book at 20 people and ministers for a reported 65,000 tonne fraud, and everyone here is running around shouting "see the thing is massively corrupt", and I simply point out that during the life of the thing it bought over 75,000,000 admittedly that is padi volume, so about say 50,000,000 tonnes and everyones description of this system being rife with massive corruption is a case that represents

65,000 in 50,000,000 = 0.13%

So, ok, yes, maybe at the end they catch half of these numpties for creating this false deal and it isn't defendable if they did it. Was it worth bringing down a government, having a coup to catch this? If this is the so called level of endemic corruption in the system, it is pitiful, in which case, these investigators aren't looking in the right places, because if this is what they have, well.....This is simply the pot calling the kettle black over and over again. Next time, when PTP get in, they will criminalise the opposition for their corruption and the cycle will turn over and over again.

Election, coup, election, coup and on and on

You seem to think that the amount involved is insignificant and can be ignored. Why should the country be happy ? The country should be happy if there was 'nil' out of 6,500,000 mt.

There is never ever going to be zero corruption in a system like this anywhere in the world. What is important is that it is caught through a system without having to march the army out onto the streets every 5 years or so. If the junta was busy creating such a system I might give them a little credit, but of course, they won't create such a thing.

There is never ever going to be zero corruption in a system like this anywhere in the world. What is important is that it is caught through a system without having to march the army out onto the streets every 5 years or so. If the junta was busy creating such a system I might give them a little credit, but of course, they won't create such a thing.

Agreed. What is important is that it was exposed, and definitely not through 'a system' of PTP. I sincerely doubt that this, and other corruption would have been made public if the previous government was still in power.

We will have to wait and see what future systems will be put in place.

Who in the customs dept issued bills of lading, letters of credit etc etc.

Customs don't issue these documents, they check them. The bill of lading is issued by the shipping company and letters of credit by banks.

Customs aren't involved when no wares leave or enter the country.

Agreed. What is important is that it was exposed, and definitely not through 'a system' of PTP. I sincerely doubt that this, and other corruption would have been made public if the previous government was still in power.

We will have to wait and see what future systems will be put in place.

If the PT Govt had still been in place then it would mean that the amnesty bill would have been passed and all the corruption within the scheme would have been forgiven, meaning that all the corrupt could keep what they had stolen.

See it wasn't just about getting Thaksin back it was also about allowing them to keep their corruption money.

I see T a H is making a big thing about "Only 65,000" however that must only be a preliminary figure for the purpose of the charges for if we look at the original evidence that the Dems took to the NACC after the no confidence vote we see that they estimate that there would have been profits of 20billion made from one scam :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/600926-rice-deals-with-china-fake-thai-democrats/

In the latest deal, the Chinese firm paid Bt300 per sack of rice, rather than market price of Bt1,500-Bt1,555, Varong said. Taking this into account, the men in question would make a profit of Bt20 billion. Also, he said, the rice has not gone anywhere but is being stored in Siam President's warehouse in Phichit, he said. There are some 400,000 sacks of rice in the facility, collected between May 5 and July 16, he added.

• Like 1