Overpricing shames Thailand again

webfact

The government overcharges foreigners (for instance on entrance to national parks/ Wat Pra Kaew),

The police scams foreigners (look at harassment on Sukhumvit or police scamming Burmese workers without drivers license) ,

So the private sector probably thinks : if they can do it, we can do it too.

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 2

If you have to ask the price, that means you can't afford it, 555.

As Einstein noted, everything is relative.

Ever price apartments in Luanda, Angola or buy a cup of coffee in Hong Kong?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2014/07/10/the-most-expensive-cities-in-the-world/

The wealthiest people I know refuse to pay inflated prices. It has nothing to do with how much money they have but don't want to throw their money away. They think that's stupid. It's probably why they became so wealthy.

I don't go into the Karaoke joints because of all the horror stories but lived in other countries where private singing rooms were very popular and a regular part of our night life. I'm sure there are a lot of people in Thailand that would love to use them but don't want to deal with the circus.

• Like 1

The threat to the Thai Tourist industry is social media , these topics are now being highlighted virtually as it happens, before all you heard about Thailand was at the departure lounge or your seat partner on the plane moaning of the pitfalls of coming to Thailand and the never again chiming in , the problem lies in the frequency of these complaints , unless Thailand gets up to speed it will be come another dinosaur , a no go tourist destination , the balls in your court Thailand. coffee1.gif

Yea... and I help out by re-posting articles like this to G+.

"One problem is they see the big ass house some Farang builds for his Thai wife another for her family and they all want it."

Solution: Tell the Thai wife you really like her parents and want to help them out by renting a room in their house.

They won't think you're rich then, 555.

Of course, they might charge you higher than the fair market value....

• Like 2

Thailand didn't remain uncolonised because they were stupid. Savvy leadership and smart bargaining to their own advantage has always been their strong suit.

Gee and I thought it was because they sold themselves out to whoever was expedient at the time....

Must have a different perception of Thai history.

The Japanese gave them a choice. After the battle of Khiri Khan, many Thai lives were lost. The Thais realized they were greatly overpowered. The Japanese allowed them to become "occupied" instead of colonized. This allowed the Japanese near total control, without all the complications of occupation. They were occupied for over three years, and as a result Bangkok was bombed by the allies, and Thailand was declared an enemy to the allies. Much of this has been forgotten.

• Like 2

I dont think anything shames Thailand,as they keep repeating

the same crap,it might make them a little tiny bit upset if they

get caught out,but that does not last long and they are back to

the same tricks again,its been going on for years,and sees

no sign of abatement.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

The offending bar in CM got shut down, but what became of of the 114,000 Baht the Malaysians paid? ermm.gif

It seems that one person who cannot be named ? owns several karaoke bars, he will simply move staff and enforcers to his other bars.

"Why, in every discussion about "things" Thai, do people have to compare fact with either their own country or some other place? This is Thailand, where some of us live and experience these matters. We do not care, nor want to know what "happens in other countries!"

So, you're saying many expats are closed minded provincials who think the world revolves around them and couldn't care less about facts?

Nail. Meet head, 555

Thailand didn't remain uncolonised because they were stupid. Savvy leadership and smart bargaining to their own advantage has always been their strong suit.

Like they're were not occupied by the Japanese? Like the Chinese haven't taken over and now run the country? Is this where savvy leadership and smart bargaining got them? And by the way, who are these savvy leaders and smart bargainers?

• Like 2

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2014/07/10/the-most-expensive-cities-in-the-world/

The wealthiest people I know refuse to pay inflated prices. It has nothing to do with how much money they have but don't want to throw their money away. They think that's stupid. It's probably why they became so wealthy.

I don't go into the Karaoke joints because of all the horror stories but lived in other countries where private singing rooms were very popular and a regular part of our night life. I'm sure there are a lot of people in Thailand that would love to use them but don't want to deal with the circus.

"It has nothing to do with how much money they have but don't want to throw their money away. They think that's stupid. It's probably why they became so wealthy. "

Exactly. It should become standard operation procedure in Thailand to ask for the price before you buy anything.

Don't care if they think you are poor. If everybody does it they will stop thinking this bs.

Tourists should be told about this necessity in LOS. Why not by posters on the airports in their countries? Why not paid by their foreign offices - its kind of a travel warning isn't it?

• Like 1

Outside of the tourst zones, if you are an expat, in your own neghbourhood amongst "friends" you will never get ripped off. Ishop at the local market daily and know the price of all the items I buy and pay the same as everyone else. Same if sit outside and have a beer or eat at a local restaurant.

Agreed. But you still have to watch out - at least when you go to the next city

Weak law enforcement. Weak law enforcement. Weak law enforcement. Weak law enforcement.

Time and again this is raised in relation to all sorts of ailments here. It is high time the government did something about it! If it does, then better put on a hard hat. Things could get bumpy!

Gee and I thought it was because they sold themselves out to whoever was expedient at the time....

Must have a different perception of Thai history.

Yes, there are several theories as to the supposed 'non-colonization' of Thailand.

Why would a private business care about overcharging/double pricing/ripping off? When it's sanctioned and enforced by the state the case is lost. To understand that it's morally wrong you have to have morals. Case lost.

Don't expect anything to change but DO fight it at every opportunity AND share your experiences

• Like 1

Imo, your first sentence is wrong, even if I was a millionaire, and wanted to buy something and the price was not shown, I would still ask the price, the reason being I hate cheats. The only time cheating is acceptable is when you are cheating some person or company, or any organisation, is when they are cheating you.