Racist Bangkok taxi driver doesn't accept Japanese passengers

webfact

Have we considered that the Taxi Driver may have had Parents or other members of his family Brutalized, possibly raped or murdered by Japs during World War Two?

Maybe he has relatives or friends in Korea who's Mother, sister, cousin was forced to work in some Filthy Jap camp as a "Comfort Woman."

Maybe his parents have told him of the Jap Atrocities, such as Beheading POWs on the Siam/Burma "Death" Railway.

Oddly enough the Jap PM still attends the odd ceremony at War Shrines in Japan where he pays honour to War Criminals who were executed after WW Two.

Have we considered that the Taxi Driver may have had Parents or other members of his family Brutalized, possibly raped or murdered by Japs during World War Two?

Maybe he has relatives or friends in Korea who's Mother, sister, cousin was forced to work in some Filthy Jap camp as a "Comfort Woman."

Maybe his parents have told him of the Jap Atrocities, such as Beheading POWs on the Siam/Burma "Death" Railway.

Oddly enough the Jap PM still attends the odd ceremony at War Shrines in Japan where he pays honour to War Criminals who were executed after WW Two.

Well if that would be the case, that taxi driver deserves a medal. clap2.gif

He would probably be the only Thai in the whole country,

who remembers anything further than five days in the past. cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Let it go. The war ended 69 years ago. Things change. People move on. The younger generation of Japanese have little interest in the kinds of ridiculous policies that led to WWII. Stop promoting bigotry. Many Japanses are very cool people. And how do you dislike a whole nationality that create such amazing food?

• Like 1

Jap

(jăp)

n. Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a person of Japanese birth or ancestry.

What a bigoted rant. Same logic used by terrorists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the Thai taxi folks in some sort of authority are patronizing this scum. They are saying passengers spend 10,000 and up for a ticket "why can't they use a "negotiated fare?" The gall of these Thais. The taxi driver seems to be taking the view of his national leader, that there is no room for opposition views. Shameful Thailand. The Japanese are being discriminated against anyway, and they should pack up and get out of Thailand like every other foreigner.

A not surprising reaction on an entire race because of the opinion of one individual. What a big baby. Thainess in full glory.

I thought there are only 3 human races: negroid, mongoloid and caucasoid? Japanese, Thais and East/Southeast Asians belong to the same race.

Let it go. The war ended 69 years ago. Things change. People move on. The younger generation of Japanese have little interest in the kinds of ridiculous policies that led to WWII. Stop promoting bigotry. Many Japanses are very cool people. And how do you dislike a whole nationality that create such amazing food?

Unfortunately, hate is everywhere. In this forum, the top two most hated nationalities are Russian & Chinese. Many at TV secretly hoping their economies collapse, so that millions of civilians suffer/die.

A not surprising reaction on an entire race because of the opinion of one individual. What a big baby. Thainess in full glory.

I thought there are only 3 human races: negroid, mongoloid and caucasoid? Japanese, Thais and East/Southeast Asians belong to the same race.

You're basically wrong but you're wrong in a very common area of CONFUSION.

Racism can and does exist regarding ETHNIC GROUPS/NATIONALITIES regardless of actual "racial" definitions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_classification)

While race and ethnicity are considered to be separate phenomena in contemporary social science, the two terms have a long history of equivalence in popular usage and older social science literature. Racism and racial discrimination are often used to describe discrimination on an ethnic or cultural basis, independent of whether these differences are described as racial. According to the United Nations convention, there is no distinction between the terms racial discrimination and ethnic discrimination, and superiority based on racial differentiation is scientifically false, morally condemnable, socially unjust and dangerous, and that there is no justification for racial discrimination, in theory or in practice, anywhere.[10]

Also from the same link:

A following article in the same issue questions the precise rate of decline, but from their opposing perspective agrees that the Negroid/Caucasoid/Mongoloid paradigm has fallen into near-total disfavor
Edited by Jingthing

possibly worse than that was a guest house in India with a sign outside which said Indian guests not welcome

Everyone has a right to refuse service.

I've seen worse. Anti Israel sign on Phi Phi island saying "Israeli not welcome at this hotel".

Another bar in Phuket has "No Africa man allowed"

Wow! Serious? Wish there was a picture.

I've seen worse. Anti Israel sign on Phi Phi island saying "Israeli not welcome at this hotel".

What's wrong with that ? Here on Samui the same, after numerous Israeli's skip out at 3am without paying their bill, they are just too much trouble so save yourself the agro and when they come to check in, it's a "sorry we are full". By nationality they are the worst !

I didn't israelies were like this. I was actually confused about the no israeli sign and was thinking yup phi phi is in the south and the south has muslims but it's the deep south that is majority muslim anyway so was thinking it was something to do along religious lines so that isn't the case. Can they tell israelis from arabs?

There e several areas and venues in Bangkok where only Japanese are allowed. Except for workers, Thai people are not allowed to enter these "Japanese" venues. This is in Thailand. If this is now racism by the Japanese then I wonder what else is. And Oh, one has just to read comments on Thai Visa to understand how racist, derogatory and discriminative often the comments are.

it's funny but when japs discriminate it's ok.

Correct me if I am wrong but is there not or was there a Japanese only Soi next to PatPong? caters to thai ladies for Japanese only. If anyone else goes there they will not serve you.

This taxi driver is a complete arse. Acting like a baby because these corrupt extortionate drivers are getting caught for ripping people off. They need to be dealt with in a very harsh way.

That being said, you are right here. The Japanese are some of the most racist people on the planet. Even in Bkk there are bars that are Japanese only, they will not let you in if you are not Japanese as the fragile ego of the Japanese men can't handle a woman that might compare them to a better male specimen (i don't think you will even find a Arab bar in Bkk that wouldn't let in a non Arab). There are Japanese only condominiums. I have been walking around Sukhumvit looking for new rooms and have been told sorry Japanese only.

This is a case of sum num na. Although I am sure the driver would still take a Japanese passenger if he would pay the 700 baht.

Maybe the japanese women wanted those rules in place.

No worse than old pensioners moaning about stuff in general in Thailand on forums!

You too have a very good chance of becoming old and receiving a pension. That is of course, if one doesn't die from a bad case of smugness.

Edited by Benmart

Perhaps, but not mentioned by the article. Perhaps his Toyota is a lemon. Perhaps his Hitachi rice cooker burns the rice. Perhaps he doesn't like Sushi. One can speculate on anything... I suppose.

There actually is a difference between racist and prejudice.

Racism is plain wrong, however prejudice is ok when it's from your own experience.

For example, if the taxi driver had problems with every Japanese passenger he ever carried (for example) then it could be said that he would be justifiably prejudiced. Also, a person who suffered at the hands of the Japanese in wartime may be said to have a justifiable prejudice. Though in that case he probably would not drive a Japanese car.

However, without knowing the true background this does appear to be blatant racism.

I wonder if there is some rule that allows a Taxi driver to deny anyone at any time if he just doesn't like the look of that fare. If you own your own Taxi you might think it's justifiable to be able to choose who you want in your taxi.

And you are turning around and doing exactly the same thing because of one taxi driver. Amazing what people see in others that they don't see in themselves.

What a bunch of cry- babies!

Unbelievable!

This country get's dumber by the minute!

...and proud of it, they are!

Funny you draw this conclusion as the driver was fined 1000 baht and banned from picking up fares at the airport; and the one taxi related official, the head of some driver association, disapproved of the action. But continue on...I'm sorry I had to interrupt with some facts your Thai-bashing rant.

Oh...1000 Baht and some official said "no,no" and he is not allowed at the airport anymore!

You ARE new to Thailand, right!?

What's wrong with that ? Here on Samui the same, after numerous Israeli's skip out at 3am without paying their bill, they are just too much trouble so save yourself the agro and when they come to check in, it's a "sorry we are full". By nationality they are the worst !

I didn't israelies were like this. I was actually confused about the no israeli sign and was thinking yup phi phi is in the south and the south has muslims but it's the deep south that is majority muslim anyway so was thinking it was something to do along religious lines so that isn't the case. Can they tell israelis from arabs?

It's pretty simple to identify them when the staff take a copy of passports at check in time