Claiming refund on tax deducted interest for fixed rate bank accounts Udon 2015

I wish to thank those who have previously taken the time to explain the procedure for obtaining a tax refund on interest paid on fixed bank accounts which I followed, and seemingly successfully filed an application today.

For those of you who might want to do this in Udon Thani I recount my experience.

Follow the advice in the threads below to get your Tax Identification Number (TIN), it is a chit of stiffish, yellow paper about 3 inches square with your details on including the all-important personal tax number.

http://www.pattayaci...e-sid-1292.html

When you have your TIN and Official Tax Claim forms from the bank show these at the tax office together with the actual bank book or books where you have the accounts and your passport.

The process was very simple. All my data was apparently input in the computer and the most time consuming item was for them to find the official name for United Kingdom in their great list which clearly does not contain “Angrit”. No copies were taken other than perhaps what seemed to be a scan of my passport. An acknowledgement of my application was stapled to the bank papers and everything handed back with the explanation that a cheque would arrive in the post in a month for the full amount that had been deducted by the bank as tax from my accrued interest. The full procedure today took about 15 minutes. I submitted for the last two years but note that others say up to 3 years back-dated can be claimed.

Thanks for the reminder Peter37, I completed mine this morning. Went to Bangkok Bank and SCB Bank and spent a whopping 10 minutes at each office getting my tax paid on fixed savings accounts documents which were done for free. Then took the baht bus to my tax office and spent another whopping 10 minutes there. I left at 10am for the banks and was back home after visiting the tax office at 11:30am, an hour and a half and 13,000 baht richer. It is so easy it is almost scary and both last year and today the people in the tax office are so friendly and helpful. I only needed one passport front page copy, my tax number and the bank documents. No resident or address documents needed, only asked if my address on the bank documents was correct.

Indeed, my BKK Bank Branch Manager pointed me and my Mrs over the road to the Amphur office in our town outside Korat. Said I could file my fixed acct interest tax return there. Really? I thought no way, that was far too efficient.

I did not have a TIN yet so I expected the Amhpur to send me to Korat for that, then maybe I could file for the tax return at the Ampher afterward.

A visit to the Amphur proved wrong. I was assigned a TIN that day, and next day we returned to find they filled out my tax return form for me, signed it, and the ladies told me I could expect a refund cheque in the post in 2 weeks time. I was pretty happy with this, and will be pleased if the cheque actually arrives! biggrin.png

• 11 months later...

I read that almost everyone had a good experience with Tax Office and refund of tax from fixed accunts. I didnt but maybe Chiang Mai are per definition difficult to deal with.

I have given them all the necessary papers : Bankletter saying how tax was deducted, Passbook showing same, Passport with all pages, ID of landlord, Lease of condo, Form 90 filled out with help from Tax.

They still want Tambien Baan and Chanot from my Landlord which she refuse to give. The Tax Supervisor say that she dont t to get in their spotlight but dosent help me, I´m stuck in the middle.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

No charges whatsoever. I would also add and reiterate quite rightly what BobTH said "It is so easy it is almost scary ..... the people in the tax office are so friendly and helpful."

the wife has just been to our local tax office [korat] a member of staff [same one as last yr] filled in the forms for the wife and me,in and out 40mins.

SO HELPFULL

No charges whatsoever. I would also add and reiterate quite rightly what BobTH said "It is so easy it is almost scary ..... the people in the tax office are so friendly and helpful."

the wife has just been to our local tax office [korat] a member of staff [same one as last yr] filled in the forms for the wife and me,in and out 40mins.

SO HELPFULL

is this a record? cheque arrived TODAY.LESS THAN 4WORKING DAYS.

SO HELPFULL

is this a record? cheque arrived TODAY.LESS THAN 4WORKING DAYS.

What papers did Tax Office ask you for as a falang ? My thaiwife had no problem getting her refund, took 5 days but mine ... thats another matter I guess

I got around to filing for my bank interest refund today here at my western Bangkok tax office. For this 2015 tax year they used the one page Kor 10 form since I earned less that Bt30K interest compared to last 2014 tax year when I earned over Bt30K interest and they used the multipage PND 10 form.

Anyway, the office was busy but I only had to wait about 3 minutes to get called as they seemed to handle "farangs" with a little special attention. Set down with the nice tax lady, she had me write in my full name on the Kor 10 form, then she filled out the rest while asking me a few easy questions (it's a very simple form). She took the original bank tax letter, copy of passbook, copy of passport cover page, etc., had me sign the form. Pulled my tax number up in their computer system and there I was. They gave me a receipt for the tax filing and said the check should arrive in around 4 weeks.

This is my fourth straight year filing and previous refund checks arrived around 6 weeks after filing although the first year I filed they sent me a slip instead of a check saying I could come get a "cash" refund at their office which I did. We also chatted a little bit about how long I have been in Thailand, chatted a little about the U.S. since I'm American, in and out the door in approx 15 minutes. The nice tax lady's English was pretty fair and she was definitely helpful and all smiles. A fast, efficient, pleasant experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I got around to filing for my bank interest refund today here at my western Bangkok tax office. For this 2015 tax year they used the one page Kor 10 form since I earned less that Bt30K interest compared to last 2014 tax year when I earned over Bt30K interest and they used the multipage PND 10 form.

Anyway, the office was busy but I only had to wait about 3 minutes to get called as they seemed to handle "farangs" with a little special attention. Set down with the nice tax lady, she had me write in my full name on the Kor 10 form, then she filled out the rest while asking me a few easy questions (it's a very simple form). She took the original bank tax letter, copy of passbook, copy of passport cover page, etc., had me sign the form. Pulled my tax number up in their computer system and there I was. They gave me a receipt for the tax filing and said the check should arrive in around 4 weeks.

This is my fourth straight year filing and previous refund checks arrived around 6 weeks after filing although the first year I filed they sent me a slip instead of a check saying I could come get a "cash" refund at their office which I did. We also chatted a little bit about how long I have been in Thailand, chatted a little about the U.S. since I'm American, in and out the door in approx 15 minutes. The nice tax lady's English was pretty fair and she was definitely helpful and all smiles. A fast, efficient, pleasant experience.

Update: Got my tax refund check in the mail today/25 Jan...10 days after filing for the refund on 15 Jan. That's a record for me at the Bangkok tax office I always file at...my past filings have taken around 6 weeks to get the check.

Indeed, my BKK Bank Branch Manager pointed me and my Mrs over the road to the Amphur office in our town outside Korat. Said I could file my fixed acct interest tax return there. Really? I thought no way, that was far too efficient.

I did not have a TIN yet so I expected the Amhpur to send me to Korat for that, then maybe I could file for the tax return at the Ampher afterward.

A visit to the Amphur proved wrong. I was assigned a TIN that day, and next day we returned to find they filled out my tax return form for me, signed it, and the ladies told me I could expect a refund cheque in the post in 2 weeks time. I was pretty happy with this, and will be pleased if the cheque actually arrive.

WATCH FOR THE POST MAN.

Edited by meatboy