Microsoft shows off Windows 10 and ‘HoloLens’

Jonathan Fairfield

Microsoft shows off Windows 10 and ‘HoloLens’

REDMOND, Wash. (AP) — Microsoft on Wednesday took the wraps off a new version of Windows — and a new wearable 3D gadget it calls the HoloLens.

The company showed the new headset, which lets users view and interact with three-dimensional images, at an event where it also revealed new features coming to the company’s flagship operating software.

Executives said Windows 10 is designed to embrace the way people use computers today — offering a familiar experience as they switch back and forth from personal computers to tablets, smartphones and other gadgets such as gaming consoles or even holographic projectors.

While it’s designed to let apps work in similar fashion on all those devices, Windows 10 will also come with a new Web browser that will be closely integrated with Cortana, the company’s voice-activated answer to Siri. Microsoft is expanding Cortana to serve as a search engine and personal assistant, capable of answering questions and responding to commands such as “Play music” on desktop and laptop computers, as well as mobile devices.

I have read that Microsoft intend to make upgrade to windows 10 free with free office suite.

Microsoft answertech told me today that it is only a "trial version".

Presumably this will then delete itself after a couple of months.

So the vaporware 'HoloLens', "... to be available sometime during Windows 10 lifetime..." was the biggest announcement And what had this to do with Windows 10?

I tried to attend the streamed presentation, but lost interest after 30 minutes. Lots of talk about new apps, and bla..bla platform compatibility, and bla..bla user experience..... and nothing much how they addressed the criticism of Windows 8/8.1 user experience.

But one thing is cool. Will I be able to upgrade my pirated Windows 7 for free? It says it's registered and receives all the updates...

I want to read the technical preview before I make any decisions. M$ hasn't released that yet and all we have at the moment is the window [sic] dressing.

There's a number of screenshots on the Neowin site where you can see how Microsoft thinks we're all a bunch of kids who need little images to show us how to differentiate between a picture folder and one containing documents: http://www.neowin.net/news/hands-on-with-build-9924-of-windows-10

The Music folder looks more like a shopping trolley to me...lol

I have read that Microsoft intend to make upgrade to windows 10 free with free office suite.

Microsoft answertech told me today that it is only a "trial version".

Presumably this will then delete itself after a couple of months.

The bigger news out of Microsoft today was that they intend to offer Windows 10 as a free upgrade, for one year after its release, to all existing Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, and the latter meaning both computing devices and mobile phones running 8.1.

According to their announcement today, that free upgrade offer isn't tied into any kind of MS Office purchase or license. It's straight out -- you have an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 device (I presume that means with legal, licensed software--not pirated software Thai style), then you're entitled to a free Windows 10 upgrade if done within the first year after its launch.

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-to-deliver-free-windows-10-upgrades/

In the first year the software is available, the company will upgrade any devices running Windows 8 to Windows 10 for free, according to Terry Myerson, Microsoft's executive vice president of operating systems. The free upgrade will also apply to Windows 7 devices and Windows Phone 8.1 devices.

The free upgrade is only available for the first year. Microsoft has yet to announce the software's price for the upgrade after that one-year window.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK