Which is overall the better value and more cost effective?

I was applying for the regular 60 day tourist visa when I met someone who told me about the double entry permit.

I decided to go with the double entry permit. It cost 2000 baht. It allows me two months, then I leave the country, then I come back and get another two months.

It had me thinking though. Is that really better then the 60 day? I heard that you can extend that to 90 days. It's 1000 baht.

I've been thinking about the logistics but I guess I'm bad at math. Therefore, I have questions to ask.

What visa is cheaper in the long run? Will getting double entry permits be better than getting 60 day visas?

A tourist visa is 1,000 baht per entry.

Each entry on a tourist visa is good for 60 days in Thailand, but can be extended by 30 days for 1,900 baht. With a double entry tourist visa you can therefor stay for 60 days + extend for another 30 days, leave the country and stay another 60 days + 30 days for 1,900 baht again.

But keep in mind the validity of the tourist visa, all entries must be made before the visa itself expired.

Okay, this adds a whole new variable. Paying 1900 and just getting 30 days sounds like a bad deal but when you factor in the cost of going to Laos it might be better. My brain is going to explode. Lol.

That is known practically to anyone and is what many foreigners deal with on a daily basis. I remember having seen you posting about basic subjects sometime ago already, seems strange you're so surprised now.

Edited by paz

Okay, this adds a whole new variable. Paying 1900 and just getting 30 days sounds like a bad deal but when you factor in the cost of going to Laos it might be better. My brain is going to explode. Lol.

If you're going to stay here for close to 180 days, you'll pay Baht 2000 for the tourist visa and 2 x baht 1900 for the two extensions plus travel costs to cross a border and come back immediately one time. So we're talking something in the neighborhood of US$200 for immigration related costs over a six month stay.

It can't be that big of a deal. $33 a month on average. If you're going to have a brain freeze over this relatively minuscule factor in your budget, you're going to spend the entire 6 months tied in knots over every satang you spend. If this is meant to be a holiday, try to focus on enjoying yourself and not on conserving every penny.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Each entry on a tourist visa is good for 60 days in Thailand, but can be extended by 30 days for 1,900 baht. With a double entry tourist visa you can therefor stay for 60 days + extend for another 30 days, leave the country and stay another 60 days + 30 days for 1,900 baht again.

But keep in mind the validity of the tourist visa, all entries must be made before the visa itself expired.

@ Mario,

I think it's fair to say that it depends on which country you apply for the tourist visa in. In the Netherlands at least, a 60 day tourist visa costs €30. Bearing in mind that the value of the euro has dropped to 37 Baht at the moment, this equates to 1,110 Baht give or take a few satang.

@ OP,

Extending a tourist visa by an additional 30 days costs 1,900 Baht. If somebody told you it was only 1,000 Baht, you were misinformed.

If you do propose to stay up to the maximum six months i.e. two periods of 90 days each, it would be a good idea to open a Thai bank account. All you need to do is to provide a copy of your tourist visa together with a copy of some other form of identification such as a drivers licence (provided it includes your photo). See here for more details: How to open a Thai bank account

I sometimes wonder why the cost of a visa is of so much concern to some people, considering the price of plane tickets to and from here and spending money needed etc., etc., etc., .....the visa itself' an essential document is by comparison to these other expenses........pittance..

@ Mario,

I think it's fair to say that it depends on which country you apply for the tourist visa in. In the Netherlands at least, a 60 day tourist visa costs €30. Bearing in mind that the value of the euro has dropped to 37 Baht at the moment, this equates to 1,110 Baht give or take a few satang

The official fee set by the MFA is 1000 baht per entry for a tourist visa. Embassies then covert the 1000 baht to local currency which normally is in their favor. For the one mentioned it would of been set at 33.333 baht to the Euro when they set the rate.

@ Mario,

I think it's fair to say that it depends on which country you apply for the tourist visa in. In the Netherlands at least, a 60 day tourist visa costs €30. Bearing in mind that the value of the euro has dropped to 37 Baht at the moment, this equates to 1,110 Baht give or take a few satang.

@ OP,

Extending a tourist visa by an additional 30 days costs 1,900 Baht. If somebody told you it was only 1,000 Baht, you were misinformed.

If you do propose to stay up to the maximum six months i.e. two periods of 90 days each, it would be a good idea to open a Thai bank account. All you need to do is to provide a copy of your tourist visa together with a copy of some other form of identification such as a drivers licence (provided it includes your photo). See here for more details: How to open a Thai bank account

I have three bank accounts in Thailand, opened during the past year. Krung Thai, on 30 day stamp, Kasikorn,

on 60 day visa and Bangkok Bank, on 60 day visa. My US passport was the only documentation, that was ever needed. Krung Thai required a Thai National ID (future BIL) for reference, other two wife's ID.

I dont think the visa costs for Thailand are expensive at all! One month visa for Vietnam is 60 + euros and if you send for it by special post in Europe add another 30 euros. If one is coming for a few months to Thailand I don't think this should be a problem.

Why get so upset about it? I hope you are not saving on travel insurance as well.