Thailand backpacker death: Christina Annesley in mystery death on double Brit-murder island

Lite Beer

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not buying it .. ! people rarely die of chest infection if ever ....steven100

Please tell that to the 9 doctors attending king faisal bedside today, where he died of a chest infection..........................

Lots of wild speculation here, based on what? Koh Tao is a wonderful place and maybe if tourists lose interest, it will be even more relaxing to vacation there. I've noticed that people die everywhere in Thailand, every day, from various causes and some are very nasty deaths. In a nation of 63 million, with millions of foreign tourists, the statistics are pointing to 'not much chance of being killed in Thailand' - as say opposed to Mexico or Brazil. From what I see first hand, from the general behavior of a percentage of foreign tourists, there is a larger amount of 'risky' behavior. Risky can mean lots of different things but personally, I don't expect to be able to behave as if there are no 'limits', while on 'vacation'.

Mexico and Brazil, they are your risk assessment comparisons?

Lordy, lordy, lordy........

Actually, there's little risk(IMO) because of many other factors. Mexico and Brazil are 2 of the worst in the world, yet millions still go there and escape death. Koh Tao (again IMO) is way down at the other end of risk. People drown, have car wrecks, commit suicide, take drugs and alcohol together and then go swimming in places they aren't familiar with. All the years & years of Koh Tao having 0 tourist deaths have no meaning?(statistically) I'd rather go to Koh Tao any day, than Tijuana, Sao Paulo, Los Angeles and many other places. Your behavior governs a large portion of your personal safety - after that we are subject to chance and sometimes just coincidence. The Thai police aren't any more responsible for your personal safety than they are the average Thai. I'm not implying that you are one of these expat complainers, since I don't know you but I know that many seem to want everything just like some imagined vision of 'back home' i.e. same-same but different. Confusing, to say the least.

Looks like its gonna be a bad year for the tourism industry on Koh Tao,or some might say now,"DEATH ISLAND"If Thai tourist workers have the brains,i know i would be out of there,sure its not going to get the same tourist numbers in 2015,and probably Thailand as a whole.

Please tell that to the 9 doctors attending king faisal bedside today, where he died of a chest infection..........................

You cannot compare a chest infection of a young healthy woman with chest infections of elderly people.

More than 99% of people who die from chest infection are elderly people or people with a weak immune system (HIV f.i.)

UPDATE:

Police Rule Out Murder For Briton Found Dead on Koh Tao

By Khaosod English

SURAT THANI — A senior police officer has insisted that the 23-year-old British tourist who died on the southern island of Koh Tao this week was not murdered, in response to early comparisons being drawn to the two British backpackers murdered on the island last year.

The woman, who British media have identified as Christina Annesley, was found dead on Wednesday in her bungalow on Haat Sai Ri Beach, the same beach that the battered bodies of British tourists David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were found on in September 2014.

Annseley’s body was found by staff at the resort where she was staying, said Pol.Lt.Col. Chokechai Sutthimek, superintendent of Koh Tao Police Station. A cleaning worker went to check her room after she failed to show up at the reception desk on the day she was scheduled to check out, Pol.Lt.Col. Chokechai said.

"At this moment, we do not know the cause of her death. We did not find any assault on her body or signs of rummaging in her room. None of her belongings appear to be missing," said the officer from Koh Tao Police Station, which was established last year to provide more security on the island following the murders of Miller and Witheridge.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1421998549

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2015-01-23

"Police Rule Out Murder For Briton Found Dead on Koh Tao"

What's the worth of a police statement in Koh Tao?

Looks like its gonna be a bad year for the tourism industry on Koh Tao,or some might say now,"DEATH ISLAND"If Thai tourist workers have the brains,i know i would be out of there,sure its not going to get the same tourist numbers in 2015,and probably Thailand as a whole.

Som nam na

Regarding Koh Tao

UPDATE:

By Khaosod English

SURAT THANI — A senior police officer has insisted that the 23-year-old British tourist who died on the southern island of Koh Tao this week was not murdered, in response to early comparisons being drawn to the two British backpackers murdered on the island last year.

The woman, who British media have identified as Christina Annesley, was found dead on Wednesday in her bungalow on Haat Sai Ri Beach, the same beach that the battered bodies of British tourists David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were found on in September 2014.

Annseley’s body was found by staff at the resort where she was staying, said Pol.Lt.Col. Chokechai Sutthimek, superintendent of Koh Tao Police Station. A cleaning worker went to check her room after she failed to show up at the reception desk on the day she was scheduled to check out, Pol.Lt.Col. Chokechai said.

"At this moment, we do not know the cause of her death. We did not find any assault on her body or signs of rummaging in her room. None of her belongings appear to be missing," said the officer from Koh Tao Police Station, which was established last year to provide more security on the island following the murders of Miller and Witheridge.

kse.png

"Police Rule Out Murder For Briton Found Dead on Koh Tao"

What's the worth of a police statement in Koh Tao?

Billions

You cannot compare a chest infection of a young healthy woman with chest infections of elderly people.

More than 99% of people who die from chest infection are elderly people or people with a weak immune system (HIV f.i.)

I have bronchial asthma and have had since I was 7. Even though I am incredibly healthy otherwise (and only 40) I tend to take chest infections worse than my less healthy wife. Just how it is but there are underlying health issues that can wipe out people just because they get the smallest infection. Not saying that is what happened here but it is still plausible.

The mother of this young lady would no nothing except what comes from police. She has not even been taken to the hospital yet for autopsy. How could anybody know how this death happened? Including the police speculation.

You should have a talk with the people that not only know how the death happened, they know it was a murder, who did, how he did it, why he did it and that he is going to do it again because he's done it before.

They should contact NSY or the FBI to teach them how it's done.

One of the more intelligent reply's I have seen from you in a long time there AleG.

Fumigate the place, get rid of all the rats, evacuate the whole damn island and leave it as a bird sanctuary or similar.

Disperse the entire population to elsewhere.That's the only way to rid Thailand and the tourist industry of this apparently evil deadly place.

Edited by CharlieH

"Doggy thing to do can be very doggy from my experience and certainly on the Islands"

You mean 'dodgy'?

I watched both seasons of "Idiot Abroad", so I could understand the type of small minded bloke who comes to Thailand.

The only time Karl Pilington bailed out of his accomodations was at a hostel in Rio.

Hey, sitting around binge drinking at a hostel--or anywhere--is dodgy, and just plain stupid...

'died of natural causes after seeking treatment for a chest infection.'

not buying it .. ! people rarely die of chest infection if ever ....

Four million deaths a year from pneumonia is not what I'd call rare, nor 200.000 or so deaths from overdosing.

Not that it has been stablished that either one was the cause of death, but both are much more likely than death by murder, specially in view of absolutely no indication whatsoever that there has been a murder.

I expect it would be rare for a young healthy fit vibrant 23 year with an uncompromised immune system and no known medical conditions to succumb to natural causes from a chest infection.

In that she was not elderly and sick with a weak immune system.

There , now we don't know anything regarding your overdosing numbers as thats irrelevant at this time.

... wai2.gif

British backpacker found dead on Thai tourist island

Agence France-Presse

KOH TAO: -- A British backpacker has been discovered dead on the popular Thai tourist island of Koh Tao, police said Friday, four months after a British couple were found murdered there.

Police said the body of Christina Annesley, 23, was discovered inside a bungalow room at a resort on the eastern side of the island on Wednesday.

There were no immediate signs of criminal activity but her body will be sent to the mainland for an autopsy.

"There was no trace of a fight and her body has no wounds," local police officer Lieutenant Colonel Napa Senathit told AFP by telephone, adding that investigators discovered three kinds of medicine in her room, but no recreational drugs.

The autopsy is not likely to be carried out before Sunday as officials have to wait for a ferry to the mainland.

"There is no ferry today so we will send her body on Saturday night to arrive on the mainland Sunday morning," Lieutenant Colonel Napa said.

Many of Annesley’s final tweets -- under the handle @chrstinadarling -- spoke of the beauty of Koh Tao’s white sand beaches and azure waters which are popular backpackers and divers.

"In awe of how beautiful this place is," she wrote on January 19, posting a picture of one of the island’s many beaches.

She also made reference to taking both Tramadol, a painkiller, and Valium, an anti-anxiety medication, in the days leading up to her death.

British daily The Telegraph said Christina’s mother Margaret had posted on her daughter’s Facebook page saying she had died of "natural causes". The Facebook page appeared to be inaccessible Friday.

"We have lost our beautiful daughter Chrissie in Thailand of natural causes," the paper reported her writing.

"We are totally devastated. We love you so much darling, rest in peace. We will bring you home soon xxxxxxxxxx Mum and Dad."

Last year Koh Tao was rocked by the double murder of two young British backpackers.

Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun -- both Burmese nationals -- have been charged with the murder of David Miller, 24, and the rape and murder of Hannah Witheridge, 23.

Their trial is expected in July. If found guilty they could face the death penalty, in a case that cast a pall over Thailand’s tourist industry.

The defendants, both aged 21, confessed to the crimes after their arrest in October but later retracted the confession, alleging it had been extracted under duress.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/British-backpacker-found-dead-on-Thai-tourist-isla-30252529.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-01-23

She also made reference to taking both Tramadol, a painkiller, and Valium, an anti-anxiety medication, in the days leading up to her death.

There is nothing shocking in the above statement. Welcome to England - a nation of prescription drug addicts. Fifty per cent of women in England take prescription drugs:

Cholesterol-lowering statins, pain relief and anti-depressants were among the most prescribed medicines.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30411246

UPDATE:

By Khaosod English

kse.png

How the hell can the police 'rule out murder' whilst at the same time saying 'We do not know the cause of death' ?????

I notice it was another cleaner that found her dead body just like a cleaner found the bodies of Hannah and David on the beach. How long had she been dead before she was found? I read somewhere that Hannah and David's bodies were found around 6 am by a cleaner but the police didn't arrive until midday. Can anyone clarify this please?

No point in posting a link to the report in the Daily Mail UK since it's banned in Thailand, but her mother states she died of natural causes.

In the image taken from the news report which came from her Twitter account she recounts 'lying on a sunbed with an alcopop and a bucketload of Tramadol'.

Mixing Tramadol with alcohol and certain types of antibiotics can prove fatal according to this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol#Interactions

Why she would be taking Tramadol in the first place is difficult to imagine considering it's a strong painkiller, but given the easy access to pharmacutical drugs in Thailand, she probably wouldn't experience any difficulty getting hold of it.

Seems that she was abusing pharmaceuticals, and alcohol, on top of a chest infection. Not a good combination.

Sounds like someone who didn't care about herself or how her actions impact others. I have taken antibiotics here several times and the first thing the pharmacist says is "no alcohol" as I believe it negates the medications impact. But when you are 23 and know better then I guess you do what you want. They say only the good die young. I guess the stupid do as well.

Edited by csabo

For all the feeble and less minded, don't jump from the balcony, don't run in front of a train if you are contemplating suicide.

Clear all your debt, send letters to your family and friends.

Just head to Koh Tao, and the rest will be taken care of without the fuss.

6 tourists under 40 years old all dead on 1 island in 5 months. Where else in the world does that happen?

More by accident than design, you hit on the crux of the issue. Concentrating on an improbable event, one ignores all the places where it doesn't happen. In short, the most unlikely of occurrences are BOUND to happen, somewhere, sometime.

The statistical impossibility supporters need to revise their understanding of probability theory.

So to clarify, your theory goes something like...

The less likely it is that Santa Claus exists, the more likely it is he is real after all.

Pure genius.

I don't suppose you work for the RTP do you?

Ok. The short answers are:

No, 'my' theory doesn't run like that. And:

No, I don't work for the RTP.

:)

jspill, on 22 Jan 2015 - 19:55, said:
Alwyn, on 22 Jan 2015 - 19:21, said:

You're the one that was making the AC bar posts when the two kids got murdered aren't you? I think I asked if you were posting on behalf of those animals at the AC bar? Guess this answers that question

All these Koh Tao apologists have some form of vested interest in the island, covered in other threads.

jdinasia - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/775562-british-police-examining-koh-tao-murder-probe-to-return-to-uk/page-11#entry8663016

islandlife - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/788835-french-man-found-hanged-in-koh-tao-with-his-hands-tied-behind-his-back-foul-play-suspected/page-29

JohnThailandJohn too if I recall, can't find a link I'm sure others will confirm.

You forgot AleG

AleG was quite indignant when I said that he had business interests on Koh Tao. However, I didn't really pursue the matter e.g. possibly friends with business interests there (JD, JTJ, Islandlife etc) because to be quite honest his blind defence of ANY suspicious happening on KT makes me wary of anything he says anyway!

23, two weeks heavy drinking, Gap year tourist, intelligent young free thinking motivated woman,

Guys want to fight in bar over her, Gets sick , Dies on holiday of a lifetime

Mother tells her to Cheat on your boyfriend if it makes you feel better,[[,Nice one mother ]] but hope he doesn't read that...

when are these young people going to ever wake up ,, stop the binge drinking.. stop the drugs

or you will pay for it in the end,,

Thailand has a lot of 'Yahoos' running through it...she was one of them.

Lots of wild speculation here, based on what? Koh Tao is a wonderful place and maybe if tourists lose interest, it will be even more relaxing to vacation there. I've noticed that people die everywhere in Thailand, every day, from various causes and some are very nasty deaths. In a nation of 63 million, with millions of foreign tourists, the statistics are pointing to 'not much chance of being killed in Thailand' - as say opposed to Mexico or Brazil. From what I see first hand, from the general behavior of a percentage of foreign tourists, there is a larger amount of 'risky' behavior. Risky can mean lots of different things but personally, I don't expect to be able to behave as if there are no 'limits', while on 'vacation'.

Actually, there's little risk(IMO) because of many other factors. Mexico and Brazil are 2 of the worst in the world, yet millions still go there and escape death. Koh Tao (again IMO) is way down at the other end of risk. People drown, have car wrecks, commit suicide, take drugs and alcohol together and then go swimming in places they aren't familiar with. All the years & years of Koh Tao having 0 tourist deaths have no meaning?(statistically) I'd rather go to Koh Tao any day, than Tijuana, Sao Paulo, Los Angeles and many other places. Your behavior governs a large portion of your personal safety - after that we are subject to chance and sometimes just coincidence. The Thai police aren't any more responsible for your personal safety than they are the average Thai. I'm not implying that you are one of these expat complainers, since I don't know you but I know that many seem to want everything just like some imagined vision of 'back home' i.e. same-same but different. Confusing, to say the least.

All the years & years of Koh Tao having 0 tourist deaths have no meaning? (statistically)? I think that is a ridiculous statement! If (and I stress IF) there is/are killer/killers loose on Koh Tao, then the fact that there were no tourist deaths before the current "spree" is irrelevant. The very fact that suddenly there are a lot of "accidental" deaths in a short period of time implies that there is something "underhand afoot"!

All the years & years of Koh Tao having 0 tourist deaths have no meaning? (statistically)? I think that is a ridiculous statement! If (and I stress IF) there is/are killer/killers loose on Koh Tao, then the fact that there were no tourist deaths before the current "spree" is irrelevant. The very fact that suddenly there are a lot of "accidental" deaths in a short period of time implies that there is something "underhand afoot"!

I guess when a Hi ~ So and well protected young boy grows into a young man and taste farang blood for the first time and likes it there is no turning back, is there ? Daddy will protect.....end of story. This is my island and I'll kill if I want to........