Thailand backpacker death: Christina Annesley in mystery death on double Brit-murder island

Lite Beer

All the years & years of Koh Tao having 0 tourist deaths have no meaning? (statistically)? I think that is a ridiculous statement! If (and I stress IF) there is/are killer/killers loose on Koh Tao, then the fact that there were no tourist deaths before the current "spree" is irrelevant. The very fact that suddenly there are a lot of "accidental" deaths in a short period of time implies that there is something "underhand afoot"!

Yes, there is something afoot, it's called a media frenzy. They are focused on Koh Tao, meanwhile in the rest of Thailand hundreds of foreigner die every year from different causes, just for US citizens you can check this page: http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/statistics/deaths.html

Why is it that nonone is calling Chiang Mai, Chonburi or Phuket (were most deaths happen) "Death City"?

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

Police Rule Out Murder For Briton Found Dead on Koh Tao

By Khaosod English

SURAT THANI A senior police officer has insisted that the 23-year-old British tourist who died on the southern island of Koh Tao this week was not murdered, in response to early comparisons being drawn to the two British backpackers murdered on the island last year.

The woman, who British media have identified as Christina Annesley, was found dead on Wednesday in her bungalow on Haat Sai Ri Beach, the same beach that the battered bodies of British tourists David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were found on in September 2014.

Annseleys body was found by staff at the resort where she was staying, said Pol.Lt.Col. Chokechai Sutthimek, superintendent of Koh Tao Police Station. A cleaning worker went to check her room after she failed to show up at the reception desk on the day she was scheduled to check out, Pol.Lt.Col. Chokechai said.

"At this moment, we do not know the cause of her death. We did not find any assault on her body or signs of rummaging in her room. None of her belongings appear to be missing," said the officer from Koh Tao Police Station, which was established last year to provide more security on the island following the murders of Miller and Witheridge.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1421998549

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2015-01-23

How the hell can the police 'rule out murder' whilst at the same time saying 'We do not know the cause of death' ?????

I notice it was another cleaner that found her dead body just like a cleaner found the bodies of Hannah and David on the beach. How long had she been dead before she was found? I read somewhere that Hannah and David's bodies were found around 6 am by a cleaner but the police didn't arrive until midday. Can anyone clarify this please?

I really don't understand what the cleaner was doing in her room early in the morning. Unless she was supposed to check out the day before. Usually when someone has not paid the bill and should check out . The receptionist will go to open the door. Usually in the cheaper hotels 500 a night. They don't have daily cleaning services. So I still would want to know why the maid was in that room in the early morning before checkout time.

I see that the conspiracy theorists has hijacked this thread and will turn this tragic case into a cold blooded murder case and of course will blame nomsod for this and hold the influential mafia family on the island responible.

Now we will have an autopsy this weekend and if it reveals that the cause of death is a mix of alcohol and drugs , it will not be good enough for the conspiracy theorists , the answer will probably be we can not trust a Thai to do the autopsy.

Edited by balo

How naive those teens are to still go to that place. A small island and already a dozen of murdered or dead tourists in the last 18 months. How the hell you still can go there...

.... these are same people I see tear-assing on scooters in bare feet,shorts and tank-tops having the time of their lives...... until the OOpSie happens.

No point in posting a link to the report in the Daily Mail UK since it's banned in Thailand, but her mother states she died of natural causes.

In the image taken from the news report which came from her Twitter account she recounts 'lying on a sunbed with an alcopop and a bucketload of Tramadol'.

Mixing Tramadol with alcohol and certain types of antibiotics can prove fatal according to this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol#Interactions

Why she would be taking Tramadol in the first place is difficult to imagine considering it's a strong painkiller, but given the easy access to pharmacutical drugs in Thailand, she probably wouldn't experience any difficulty getting hold of it.

Seems that she was abusing pharmaceuticals, and alcohol, on top of a chest infection. Not a good combination.

Sounds like someone who didn't care about herself or how her actions impact others. I have taken antibiotics here several times and the first thing the pharmacist says is "no alcohol" as I believe it negates the medications impact. But when you are 23 and know better then I guess you do what you want. They say only the good die young. I guess the stupid do as well.

Correct about the fact that alcohol negates the effect of antibiotics, but some doctors say that it is OK to have a couple of drinks with them (depends on what antibiotic it is) However, Tramadol is a strong painkiller, and like Ibuprofen, can cause vomiting/upset stomach if mixed with alcohol (Paracetemol does not have the same effect) If she was taking Tramadol AND Valium with alcohol, then that is indeed a dangerous combination, and could have caused her death. However, there are still questions that need to be answered (In spite of one poster already being convinced that it is an open and shut case - right AleG!?) Why was she naked? If you are feeling unwell, especially with a chest infection, you tend to "cover up" and maintain a foetal position and hope to sleep/sweat it off. And probably the thought of having sex was the last thing on her mind, so why not check if there had been recent intercourse? Secondly, as already mentioned, what was the maid doing checking on her room so early? Either she was told to do it by someone, (Why, if there was no signs of a struggle or robbery?) or she hadn't paid her bill, which seems unlikely, or she was concerned about the the girl's welfare. While I personally think that it was a tragic accident, that does not mean that I would close my mind to other scenarios, especially in the light of recent events. There are certain posters on here that are hell bent on trying to preserve/resurrect the image of Koh Tao as being a tourist paradise, and by their refusal to admit that there is something awry, and steadfastly believing everything that they are told by the RTP, merely shows that they are guilty of what they accuse the majority of posters here of, if the opinion doesn't fall in line with their line of thinking.

Just to be clear, this is not the 3rd death but the 5th in around a year. There was a British guy who mysteriously died around Christmas 2013. Lets not forget the french guy last month who 'hung himself' after tying his hands together.

This is a small island and the probability of 5 foreigners murdered/ disappeared/died under mysterious circumstances must be fairly astronomical.

You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to detect a pattern here.

I understand that the body of another Westerner was recently found floating in the sea just off Koh Tao also. That would make 6 deaths.

If one or two guys on the island got away with murder, this story would be told around the campfire and a bottle of SangSom until others figured they could too. Not a wonder to me, what would be a wonder is if a year went by without any 'mystery' deaths among foreign visitors on that island. I'm not going, sand and beach can not be that beautiful.

I see that the conspiracy theorists has hijacked this thread and will turn this tragic case into a cold blooded murder case and of course will blame nomsod for this and hold the influential mafia family on the island responible.

Now we will have an autopsy this weekend and if it reveals that the cause of death is a mix of alcohol and drugs , it will not be good enough for the conspiracy theorists , the answer will probably be we can not trust a Thai to do the autopsy.

That's because based on the September murders purported theories it is imperative for some to show that the 'real killers' are still at large.

Sympathies to family, friends and loved ones. I think that the issue here, with the arrival of this recent tragedy, is that a whole lot of people have some serious and legitimate trust issues with anything related to law and justice in this country. Certainly, I feel that those dealing in law and justice are not very convincing or persuasive in the manner and/or method in which they try to convince and persuade us that they do..

Slowly, slowly with accusing Nomsod, according to this post it could be the maid as well.

I'm sure there will be more murder candidates be suggested as the thread develops.

Just to be clear, this is not the 3rd death but the 5th in around a year. There was a British guy who mysteriously died around Christmas 2013. Lets not forget the french guy last month who 'hung himself' after tying his hands together.

This is a small island and the probability of 5 foreigners murdered/ disappeared/died under mysterious circumstances must be fairly astronomical.

I understand that the body of another Westerner was recently found floating in the sea just off Koh Tao also. That would make 6 deaths.

I think he was a Swiss national

You're absolutely correct by saying we'll have to wait for the autopsy report. The question is, how much can we rely on that report being 100% accurate and truthful?? I say this because once again the integrity of the 'crime scene' is in question regarding the visit by the maid and the delay in RTP going 'public' on this death. Whether the RTP, you or your apologist friends like it or not Kho Tao will remain under the media spotlight until such time that the public/medias' confidence is restored. IMHO a lot more still needs to be done before that happens.

Spot on with your last sentence.

UPDATE:

By Khaosod English

SURAT THANI — A senior police officer has insisted that the 23-year-old British tourist who died on the southern island of Koh Tao this week was not murdered, in response to early comparisons being drawn to the two British backpackers murdered on the island last year.

The woman, who British media have identified as Christina Annesley, was found dead on Wednesday in her bungalow on Haat Sai Ri Beach, the same beach that the battered bodies of British tourists David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were found on in September 2014.

Annseley’s body was found by staff at the resort where she was staying, said Pol.Lt.Col. Chokechai Sutthimek, superintendent of Koh Tao Police Station. A cleaning worker went to check her room after she failed to show up at the reception desk on the day she was scheduled to check out, Pol.Lt.Col. Chokechai said.

"At this moment, we do not know the cause of her death. We did not find any assault on her body or signs of rummaging in her room. None of her belongings appear to be missing," said the officer from Koh Tao Police Station, which was established last year to provide more security on the island following the murders of Miller and Witheridge.

kse.png

"Police Rule Out Murder For Briton Found Dead on Koh Tao"

What's the worth of a police statement in Koh Tao?

zilch, nada, niemo, ingenting, nichts, nothing, mei mi alay

I didn't quote that and many others -- you really have to be far out there to suggest there is anything about a bar fight that should be considered in a death where NOTHING is even being reported as being suspicious about the death or that there was ANY injuries or that there is ANY suggestion of foul play beyond the norm conspiracy theorists.

But what we do have is the mother stating there was no foul play and she died of Natural Causes -- while I think it possible mom could possibly using the word natural causes in the wrong way she is very clear in communicating she wasn't killed by another. But of course shameful and embarrassingly ignorant at times paranoid and often dellusional social media detectives would know more than mom who has communicated with authorities and knew her daughter who stated publicly she was taking illicit drugs and then bought expensive antibiotics before passing.

So yes it only makes sense to focus on a bar fight and make up ridiculous speculative reasons about a death despite what seems clear a mother's wish not to make this a spectacle just as the families of the two murdered victims requested an made clear in much kinder words that the conspiracy nuts don't know the fact like they do after speaking to UK Investigators and Thai Authorities and the conspiracy theorist should shut the hell up and stop defending blindly the two people who they are confident murdered their kids .... but just like that case, and this girls desk some people simply have no shame or any level of self-respect for themselves and how foolish they sound.

There could be a multitude of reasons that caused the death in this latest case of another young tourist on the Island.

For example perhaps some of these tourists are living dangerously, indulging in extreme sex, drink and drug binges that increases the risks of accidental deaths in an environment that attracts undesirable characters or maybe becoming involved with the wrong crowds. I know that the Full Loon parties have a high percentage of drug and drink fuelled violence, rapes and accidents. But this does not excuse the fact that a young couple were proven to have been brutally murdered on the Island, another young guy discovered hung with his hands tied behind his back and other deaths simply written off as tragic accidents or so-called natural causes (whatever that means?) due to lack of any evidence there was foul play involved.

Although you maybe able to give explanations for every tourist death that has happened on the Island on and since September 2014, do you not agree that 7 deaths of young tourists in the space of 4 months in such a small area is extraordinary? Or do you just consider that all these tragic deaths are simply coincidental due to unfortunate happenings of bad luck?

So I am asking you; which one in your opinion is it and why? The ball is now in your court and I eagerly await your response.

Sadly a death like this is not unusual, despite all the keyboard cynics screaming murder.

I worked as a medic in the gulf 8 years and also with various Embasseys for 6, unprovoked murders such as that with Hannah and David are rare in Thailand.Murders involving bad business deals, romance and drugs with expats sadly not so rare.

Deaths that involve, a cocktail of pharmaceuticals and alcohol or just one of each to excess, happen alarmingly frequently.This won't change while there is a constant stream of young experimentally minded people,easy access to drugs legal/illegal and cheap alcohol sold without limitation.

Many get away with it, sadly this young lady looks like she didn't, however with recent events it's only prudent to see what comes up in the autopsy.

Rip young lady, and thoughts for the family who must be devastated right now.

Are you talking about the swiss guy that died a few weeks ago.

Before the hanging. But after the other guy that drowned. But before the girl died under the boat. But not the one that was washed up on shore all dressed in black that we thought was Sean. Or is this a new new death.

Meaning either after all of the above but just before the death of christine. Or after all of the above and after the death of christine.

So that would be about 9 if we included the one that fell off the balcony into the sea.

Wouldn't it. Really it is not my intent to be rude. But it really is getting difficult to keep count.

Before the hanging. But after the other guy that drowned. But before the girl died under the boat. But not the one that was washed up on shore all dressed in black that we thought was Sean. Or is this a new new death.

Meaning either after all of the above but just before the death of christine. Or after all of the above and after the death of christine.

So that would be about 9 if we included the one that fell off the balcony into the sea.

Wouldn't it. Really it is not my intent to be rude. But it really is getting difficult to keep count.

The one that washed up dressed in black, which everyone thought was Sean, was about 1000km away on Koh Samet.

But never mind, you say 9 murders in the past few months on Koh Tao.

I say 15, do I hear 20, anyone?.....second time do i hear 20?.................

Edited by Anthony5

Looks as though the demon drink has claimed yet another victim

Alcohol is usually the common denominator in most deaths in Thailand

Why is it that people cannot enjoy themselves without getting blotto

I know I sound like a boring old fart but I've enjoyed an amazing time in Thailand over the years but only drink in moderation

Maybe a mix of alcohol, antibiotics and, possibly, drugs proved too much for even this young girl's body to cope with

Watched the first episode of 'Bangkok Airport' on TV - yet again highlighting a British obsession with getting wasted

All very embarrassing

UPDATE:

By Khaosod English

SURAT THANI A senior police officer has insisted that the 23-year-old British tourist who died on the southern island of Koh Tao this week was not murdered, in response to early comparisons being drawn to the two British backpackers murdered on the island last year.

Annseleys body was found by staff at the resort where she was staying, said Pol.Lt.Col. Chokechai Sutthimek, superintendent of Koh Tao Police Station. A cleaning worker went to check her room after she failed to show up at the reception desk on the day she was scheduled to check out, Pol.Lt.Col. Chokechai said.

kse.png

"Police Rule Out Murder For Briton Found Dead on Koh Tao"

What's the worth of a police statement in Koh Tao?

zilch, nada, niemo, ingenting, nichts, nothing, mei mi alay

Are you sure, they probably had the local plod forensic expert do a full thorough and professional investigation consisting: a Thai couldn't have been involved, she looks dead - must have done it herself - report finished, case closed.

The one that washed up dressed in black, which everyone thought was Sean, was about 1000km away on Koh Samet.

But never mind, you say 9 murders in the past few months on Koh Tao.

I say 15, do I hear 20, anyone?.....second time do i hear 20?.................

The old adage "Be careful what you wish for" comes to mind .

Not that I doubt what the family believe, they believe their daughter died from natural causes after seeking medication for a chest infection? This is based on a tweet saying she had spent £60 on penicillin and was never heard from again? Because the Foreign office told them so? How does that work? I don't want to turn into a conspiracy theorist but how do the foreign office know this? Who told them so? RTP? Oh.. that's okay then.. Autopsy results? RIP young lady.

You don't know that pennywrite.

There were 3 bottles in her room not empty. She has not been examined. Nobody knows what she died from. She could have had a brain anurysm or she may have been suffocated. Why was she not dressed. Why was the worker in her room so early. Why was the cause of death determined before she has been examined. People who say she overdosed, just need to pull in their horns, for a day or 2.???

All the years & years of Koh Tao having 0 tourist deaths have no meaning? (statistically)? I think that is a ridiculous statement! If (and I stress IF) there is/are killer/killers loose on Koh Tao, then the fact that there were no tourist deaths before the current "spree" is irrelevant. The very fact that suddenly there are a lot of "accidental" deaths in a short period of time implies that there is something "underhand afoot"!

Yes, there is something afoot, it's called a media frenzy. They are focused on Koh Tao, meanwhile in the rest of Thailand hundreds of foreigner die every year from different causes, just for US citizens you can check this page: http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/statistics/deaths.html

Why is it that nonone is calling Chiang Mai, Chonburi or Phuket (were most deaths happen) "Death City"?

Maybe there are reasons for it?

percentage wise, Koh Tao have the highest score right now when it comes to young people dying suddenly, apparent murder or unknown reasons what should have been quite manageable reasons for the rest of the world especially for young and healthy people.

Diving in shallow waters, staying in ones room for a chest "infection?", falling of a cliff, dying from the massive impact with a rock, without even a broken bone, dying from a motorbike bike accident where the autopsy claims broken neck, in England the forensic doctor tells us that the person didn't have a broken neck.

Koh Phi Phi had that record a few years back.

There were people dying left and right from some sort of poisoning.

Most people that travel to those places are younger and true, they tend to expose themselves to more deadly risks.

Phuket and the rest of expat Thailand and the tourist spots around in Thailand have a different pattern, farang die by driving cars, motorbikes, MC too fast and being drunk, they kill themselves by hanging, stab themselves in the back with a knife, jump out of high buildings or simply falling from great heights, too intoxicated to even be able to walk at times, fighting with their GF's or wifes, fighting with another farang, some gets date drugged and never wakes up.

Another large group mix viagra and alike with and/or cocaine/alcohol, mostly in excessive amounts and gets a heart attack as winning price.

Did you know that 1 out of 2 400 visiting Englishmen dies in Thailand every year?

I found the numbers from another post, but Aussies are the ones most hit apparently but I don't know their numbers.

A post containing content from CSILA has been removed as CSILA is not a credible source for news. Other insensitive trolling posts have been removed as well.

Remarkable considering threads have been started quoting "WorldNetDaily".

w00t.gif

Maybe there are reasons for it?

percentage wise, Koh Tao have the highest score right now when it comes to young people dying suddenly, apparent murder or unknown reasons what should have been quite manageable reasons for the rest of the world especially for young and healthy people.

Diving in shallow waters, staying in ones room for a chest "infection?", falling of a cliff, dying from the massive impact with a rock, without even a broken bone, dying from a motorbike bike accident where the autopsy claims broken neck, in England the forensic doctor tells us that the person didn't have a broken neck.

Koh Phi Phi had that record a few years back.

There were people dying left and right from some sort of poisoning.

Most people that travel to those places are younger and true, they tend to expose themselves to more deadly risks.

Phuket and the rest of expat Thailand and the tourist spots around in Thailand have a different pattern, farang die by driving cars, motorbikes, MC too fast and being drunk, they kill themselves by hanging, stab themselves in the back with a knife, jump out of high buildings or simply falling from great heights, too intoxicated to even be able to walk at times, fighting with their GF's or wifes, fighting with another farang, some gets date drugged and never wakes up.

Another large group mix viagra and alike with and/or cocaine/alcohol, mostly in excessive amounts and gets a heart attack as winning price.

Did you know that 1 out of 2 400 visiting Englishmen dies in Thailand every year?

I found the numbers from another post, but Aussies are the ones most hit apparently but I don't know their numbers.

percentage wise, Koh Tao have the highest score right now when it comes to young people dying suddenly,

Hey, ever considered that this could be because percentage wise Koh Tao has by far the highest number of young vistors? facepalm.gif

Looks as though the demon drink has claimed yet another victim

Alcohol is usually the common denominator in most deaths in Thailand

Why is it that people cannot enjoy themselves without getting blotto

I know I sound like a boring old fart but I've enjoyed an amazing time in Thailand over the years but only drink in moderation

Maybe a mix of alcohol, antibiotics and, possibly, drugs proved too much for even this young girl's body to cope with

Watched the first episode of 'Bangkok Airport' on TV - yet again highlighting a British obsession with getting wasted

All very embarrassing

Have you considered the possibility that someone mickey finned her?

It is far from uncommon in Thailand.