Suvarnabhumi taxi drivers suggest baggage charges

webfact

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who haven't been out of Thailand for a while, many major airport transfers have surcharges for baggage. That being said, of course the vehicles need to be safe, spacious and comfortable, unlike many taxis currently plying which hardly have space for more than two normal suitcases.

For those who haven't been out of Thailand for a while, many major airport transfers have surcharges for baggage. That being said, of course the vehicles need to be safe, spacious and comfortable, unlike many taxis currently plying which hardly have space for more than two normal suitcases.

I think the point here is that if you arrive with a number of large bags - as I have a couple of times recently - you'll be directed towards one of the larger, people-carrier type taxis as you won't fit in a standard taxi. The drivers of these appear to feel that their investment in a larger vehicle should earn them a higher fare, although in my experience they will still use the meter if asked.

So think of it as a surcharge for getting a bigger taxi. 30b seems reasonable for that.

I think the point here is that if you arrive with a number of large bags - as I have a couple of times recently - you'll be directed towards one of the larger, people-carrier type taxis as you won't fit in a standard taxi. The drivers of these appear to feel that their investment in a larger vehicle should earn them a higher fare, although in my experience they will still use the meter if asked.

So think of it as a surcharge for getting a bigger taxi. 30b seems reasonable for that.

The new automated system gives you a ticket with the nr of the location where your taxi is waiting. So you can't choose.

The new automated system gives you a ticket with the nr of the location where your taxi is waiting. So you can't choose.

I'm not saying you choose - I'm saying that if you have so many bags that you won't fit in a regular taxi, you will be assigned to one of the bigger ones.

Aircon 100b, breathing 150, if you drink water in taxi 50 b unless share with the driver, sleeping free only if they rub you otherwise 100b, etc. etc.

Seat belt fee: 50b

Tire inflation fee: 25b

Oil change surcharge: 50b

Loud radio fee: 50b

Buddha mini-shrine fee: 25b

Air freshener surcharge: 20b

Brake replacement fee: 50b

Open window fee: 20b

Close window fee: 20b

Right turn fee: 5b

Left turn fee: 5b

Are we taking about Thaksin's AirAsia or taxi?

Then I suggest they get Taxis which can actually take a Suitcase in the Boot ( Trunk for USA readers )

At present most Taxis have the LPG tank there so there is insufficient room!

Have to put your suitcase on the front passenger seat or if in the boot ( trunk ) the lid cannot be closed so they use elastic straps....

Poor service.

Wouldn't it be simpler just to say "Large taxi at airport stand B100 booking fee rather than B50"? If your bags won't fit in the normal car then it's B50 extra for the larger vehicle. No weighing of bags, arguing about them, etc Just "Look, your bags don't fit, off you go to that car and pay B50 more".

I'd go for that.

Then I suggest they get Taxis which can actually take a Suitcase in the Boot ( Trunk for USA readers )

At present most Taxis have the LPG tank there so there is insufficient room!

Have to put your suitcase on the front passenger seat or if in the boot ( trunk ) the lid cannot be closed so they use elastic straps....

Poor service.

They do - see my posts above.

Wouldn't it be simpler just to say "Large taxi at airport stand B100 booking fee rather than B50"? If your bags won't fit in the normal car then it's B50 extra for the larger vehicle. No weighing of bags, arguing about them, etc Just "Look, your bags don't fit, off you go to that car and pay B50 more".

I'd go for that.

Yeah, that sounds pretty fair to me.

And if you all your bags are over 15 kg so you get no free bag. Most international flights from North American allow two bags of 23 kg. So they can screw those people and charge for each bag. I have no problem with charging for the bag, but they have to offer the bigger cars if they want to charge for it.

Most European flights allow one 20kg bag. Why does a US person need all,that luggage and then expect it to,fit a standard sized taxi?

I think fat people and anyone wearing those ghastly cargo pants should have to pay an extra charge. You can't get that many bags in a taxi anyway as half the boot is taken up with the gas tank.

And wearing Crocs!!

Charge fat people extra too, like a US airline tried once smile.png

No, just don't let them on the plane.

an overweight coworker of mine recently went to board the plane in portland, for a flight to billings. he was refused and had to wait for the next flight, but only after the company bought 2 additional tickets, one for each way.

That sounds fair. Why should the guy next to him be crushed?

I recently returned from the US with 3 bags totalling 85 kg( could have taken 98 kg total complements of JAL business class). I hadn't been back in 3 years and had many things to bring plus gifts. I took the larger Toyota wagon. I was planning to tip the guy as my bags were heavy...but as he picked them up he was on the phone talking to someone and kept repeating farang...hiaa and more about my heavy suitcases. I told him in Thai where to take me and the route to take. I asked if he understood he said yes but he had a shortcut. This was at 3:30am and I had to be to work at 9 am. His shortcut cost me an extra toll fee and took about 20 minutes longer. He got off on Ram Intra and backtracked to Chatuchak area. I decided then I would pay a rounded up fare but really no tip. He made up for it with his extra ride. He continued to cuss as he got back in the car after taking my bags out.

I read elsewhere that a leader of a Taxi association was comparing Taxi charges in Japan and saying Thailand should pattern themselves after the fee schedules in Japan. But they didn't mention what you get in Japan for those rates.I did a 6 day stopover in Japan(Tokyo and Kyoto) on my way to the US. As it was about 5 C I took many taxis. The taxis I had were late model, very clean, drivers wore white gloves, many had lace coverings on headrest and top of seats. One even had a lamb shearling throw rug on the back seat. The drivers were polite. One even missed the turn off and had to go up several blocks to make a u-turn. He apologized as I had given him a card with a map of the location. When I paid him the full fare he deducted 10% for his mistake. I tried to get him to keep it as a tip but he said,"no my error." Has a Thai taxi driver ever offered to deduct increased charges due to their "mistakes" intentional or mistakenly? I have never had this done. I used to pay the total fare when this happened but after learning some Thai many times I discount what I pay if they have taken me INTENTIONALLY way out of my way and the increase is 100 baht or more, telling them why. This is when I have given them explicit instructions where to go and they tell me some excuse for taking another route--not traffic related.

Just make it a One Thousand Baht "Nun Pan" ....flat Fee ...only 20 quid/30 $..Bucks to anywhere in Bangkok...eh....c"mon what 20 smackers nowadays....and just think of all those happy smiling Thai taxi ...maf.........drivers shiny wee faces when you arrive......will make you feel good as well.....jao...

maybe someone should ask this brainbox how much extra fuel is used per Kg - it is negligible

and if there are 2-3-4 passengers in the taxi or if it's a minibus with 10 passengers..........absolute nonesense

this is typical Thai logic similar to MB taxi with 2x passengers paying double in which case they get no tip and absolute minimum fare 50baht instead of 40

these guys will not be happy until its a flat 500baht fare

My elderly parents came: Noooo toooo much baggage, need the big car. With some good will it would have fit into a normal one. And the big car (bigger taxi, not Mini Van) costs 750 Baht, for a normally 300 Baht ride.

So no they won't be satisfied with flat 500 Baht. And if they get 750 Baht they will ask for 1500 Baht.....

(keep in mind the gas for the taxi is very cheap and the minimum salary is 300 baht in Thailand, so they make good money)

Now farang is really going to complain.

No other land transport charge extra for baggage.

Not train, not bus, not car rental; why on earth Thai taxi going to charge for baggage is beyond my logic.

Perhaps the happy Thai people's logic is a world different from mine.

Bus companies in Thainad now charge for additional baggage. Nakonchai Air for example.

Well it seems just another 'rip off the tourist and no Thai will complain' idea to me. It IS just another tourist rip off in the making. Aside from the fact most International travellers are non-Thai I would expect. most people with heavy bags are flying Internationally and therefore a large percentage will be foreigners.

I do have some sympathy for taxi drivers actually. There are plenty of real scumbags but there are also plenty just tryign to make a living. Of course the people using the taxis (excluding the airports) are predominantly Thai and not the lowest classes, so keeping the taxi rates at rock bottom serves the Thais and that is exactly why the rates are kept low.

I think the taxi fares should be increased across the board along with requirements relating to the roadworthyness of vehicles, driver courtesy, implemented rules regarding a requirement to take a fare, age of taxi and storage capacity in the rear. Unfortunately the part most will fail to see is that with increased fares come increased responsibility. And we all know how much emphasis Thais put on personal responsibility.

The BKK taxi drivers are probably all dreaming of being able to charge Phuket prices!!!

I always pay a nice tip to well trained drivers with clean and well maintained cars. But that breed is extremely rare to find in Thailand. Solve these problems first and I would not mind to pay a little extra.

So far I have not been serviced by any taxi with the new and increased meter prices - Surely because the drivers and cars were not able to pass the mandatory inspection.

Just yesterday, I tried to catch a taxi from Hua Lampong train station and was quoted THB 600 for a THB 300 ride and was rejected by other taxi drivers. I had to drag my heavy luggage all the way to Rama 4 road, before I managed to find a taxi offering to use the meter.

Shit it's a taxi journey most of the drivers won't lift the heavy suit cases, often the drivers are sat on their <deleted> laughing at the fact you are struggling to find space for your luggage... They drive down the ramp to the highway argue that the meter broken... Flat rate 600 to on-nut.. Uh? Yes cheap for you deal today... I just tell them I'm getting out... Brakes go on tantrums starting from the drivers

Just stick to it 90 % is just trying to bully you into agreement of flat rate rip off.

I even had one taxi driver brake threatened to remove me from the cab..and a leaking bottle of piss rolled out from under his seat.

Kind of helps you understand why some of the taxis stink of urine!

I don't mind paying a flat rate for a decent car... Under 5 yr old, many of the airport taxis are old bangers.

20. Trips 15 attempts off rip off! I just tip the <deleted> 20 thb if they don't help loading and unloading or they lie about the meter.

After having several "run ins" with the airport taxi guys, I voted with my feet. I never use them now, I arrange for a car and driver. I get a much nicer car, no hassle and no fighting about the meter or the route.

I know it costs a little more, however, for me after a long flight paying a little bit extra and having an enjoyable, quiet, hassle free ride is worth much more.