Medical check required for extension of Work Permit?

I have been working on a short-term contract in Thailand from November 2014 to February 2015. I have a 3 month Non-B visa which expires near the end of February.

My manager made a mistake, so my work permit only covers me until the end of January. My manager agreed to extend my work permit.

However, my manager is saying that I will need to do another medical check to have my work permit extended. Is this correct?

I already did a medical for my work permit that was issued in November - why would another medical be required?

I've just had to do this for my WP renewal.

I didn't have to do the syphilis test this though and the 'medical', if you can call it that, only involved the Dr taking my blood pressure and asking me if I smoked or was using any medication, which I don't on both counts.

That was it.

It's more about the paperwork than anything else.

I have been on the same work permit since 2007 and have never done a medical to get an extension. I did one for the original issue, but not for extensions. The company I work for has a policy that all employees have an annual medical, and this I presume, has been accepted for the extensions? The time period of 60 days however, has never applied.

Another point is for the additional "5" tests. Never done that either, unless they have been taken during the annual check, but have never seen reference to this on the print out issued by the hospital.

Seems again, different requirements for different provinces. Next extension is at the end of February, I will update again then, I believe the next extension will be for 2 years.

• Like 1

Hi Geoff, the medical required for the WP is not onerous. It only requires the doctor to confirm you are free from elephantiasis (I joke not), HIV, etc. and that your blood pressure is OK. I've just had one done at a local private hospital for the princely sum of 180 ThB.

Every time you renew a new medical is required.

Since when ? I haven't done a medical for WP renewal in nearly 13 years, I did one for my original WP but none since and my WP had always been renewed Edited by Soutpeel

Since when ? I haven't done a medical for WP renewal in nearly 13 years, I did one for my original WP but none since and my WP had always been renewed

Done that for 10 yrs now, well obviously depends on your labour office.

Since when ? I haven't done a medical for WP renewal in nearly 13 years, I did one for my original WP but none since and my WP had always been renewed

Done that for 10 yrs now, well obviously depends on your labour office.

The one stop place that used to be at RASA tower and moved to somewhere else,

only reason I describe it this was is that went to Rasa once or twice over the years but haven't been "summoned" to the new place yet so haven't got a clue where it is,

as typically hand my pp & WP over and it comes back a few days later all stamped for another year

• 3 months later...

Hello there - Just curious - what if you have elephantiasis , HIV, - what happens here? I'm assuming ''etc means any other sexually transmitted diseases?

Actually the list of checks for the WP specifies gram negative for syphilis (regulations actually cite stage 4 which is untreatable), elephantiasis, leprosy, tuberculosis, problems with drink/drugs, HIV is not listed.

I guess if you did fail the medical for one of the above then no WP, until the problem was considered treated.

Edited by digitalchromakey

I have been on the same work permit since 2007 and have never done a medical to get an extension. I did one for the original issue, but not for extensions. The company I work for has a policy that all employees have an annual medical, and this I presume, has been accepted for the extensions? The time period of 60 days however, has never applied.

Another point is for the additional "5" tests. Never done that either, unless they have been taken during the annual check, but have never seen reference to this on the print out issued by the hospital.

Seems again, different requirements for different provinces. Next extension is at the end of February, I will update again then, I believe the next extension will be for 2 years.

H,

Can you explain how you can get a 2 year work permit? My local labour office insists that the work permit is tied to length of visa or provisional teaching licence. (whichever one ends first is chosen) I suspect the new boss is just making up his own rules or is this true?

Thanks for your input. wai.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hello there - Just curious - what if you have elephantiasis , HIV, - what happens here? I'm assuming ''etc means any other sexually transmitted diseases?

Actually the list of checks for the WP specifies gram negative for syphilis (regulations actually cite stage 4 which is untreatable), elephantiasis, leprosy, tuberculosis, problems with drink/drugs, HIV is not listed.

I guess if you did fail the medical for one of the above then no WP, until the problem was considered treated.

The "medical" requirements listed as needing "exclusion" is somewhat "quaint" there would be very few doctors who would ever have seen a case of "Elephantiasis " and even fewer would recognise "Stage 4 Syphlis. !

If it is thought desirable for a heath check to be made prior to providing a WP the OK but the requirements relating to such a check are in serious need of revision and updating .

H,

Can you explain how you can get a 2 year work permit? My local labour office insists that the work permit is tied to length of visa or provisional teaching licence. (whichever one ends first is chosen) I suspect the new boss is just making up his own rules or is this true?

Thanks for your input. wai.gif

Yes it's possible under certain circumstances to get a two year WP, but rare.

For most with limited duration contracts/licenses/professional body membership, etc., then this is what will define the WP validity period if it's not the normal one year.

The VDLR.. an older gentlemen past his peak.. was quite impressed that a test was required of him... he felt this was a backhanded compliment.

Edited by Rhys

I get mine from the clinic on Sukhumvit Soi 11 and they do it all in about 20 minutes. The only thing they are fussy about is seeing some ID (passport/work permit/driving license or a copy of any of these). They don't keep a copy, they just use it for the correct spelling of your name. I think they may have had problems with mistyping a name in the past because they ask you to confirm the spelling before the doctor signs the certificate.

A follow up question - how long does the medical take - a few hours and results all done within a day, or have to wait for a few days for results?

I always go to a private hospital in a city in lower northeast. The syphilis test result will only take 30 minutes and you can wait for your certificate..

A short chat with a doctor doesn't seem to be mandatory at all places.

• Like 1

I get mine from the clinic on Sukhumvit Soi 11 and they do it all in about 20 minutes. The only thing they are fussy about is seeing some ID (passport/work permit/driving license or a copy of any of these). They don't keep a copy, they just use it for the correct spelling of your name. I think they may have had problems with mistyping a name in the past because they ask you to confirm the spelling before the doctor signs the certificate.

Thank you for this :)

A follow up question - how long does the medical take - a few hours and results all done within a day, or have to wait for a few days for results?

I always go to a private hospital in a city in lower northeast. The syphilis test result will only take 30 minutes and you can wait for your certificate..

A short chat with a doctor doesn't seem to be mandatory at all places.

Thanks for this :)

• Like 1

HIV is not tested and I believe it's illegal to discriminate on the basis of having it.

• Like 1

HIV is not tested and I believe it's illegal to discriminate on the basis of having it.

Thanks for letting me know :)