Filthy beaches - so say the tourists

simon43

At Nai Harn and Bang Tao beaches, the tourists pointed out to me how the rubbish that is collected off the beach is simply thrown on the ground just behind the beach.

That seems to be the case - both areas looked disgusting, strewn with rubbish everywhere.

Stevenl, bear in mind that I rarely visit the southern beaches, so I'm similar to a visiting tourist, not 'hardened' by the sight of so much rubbish. And I can say that the sight was pretty disgusting.

• Like 1

At Nai Harn and Bang Tao beaches, the tourists pointed out to me how the rubbish that is collected off the beach is simply thrown on the ground just behind the beach.

That seems to be the case - both areas looked disgusting, strewn with rubbish everywhere.

Stevenl, bear in mind that I rarely visit the southern beaches, so I'm similar to a visiting tourist, not 'hardened' by the sight of so much rubbish. And I can say that the sight was pretty disgusting.

You were talking about conservation with tourists, so was I. I did not mention my opinion here, only those of tourists I talk to on a very regular basis.

I did not mention my opinion here

Agreed. I stand corrected.

Although I live full-time in Phuket, as far as visiting beaches is concerned, I do this maybe twice a year. So it is also a shock for me to see how filthy these beaches and foreshore are.

BTW, I did not approach the tourists on this subject - they stopped to talk with me after seeing my TPV uniform etc.

As for taking photos and shaming the Tessabahn into action etc, did you just arrive in Thailand? smile.png Total waste of time and I'll only cause them to 'lose face' and to note my name in their black book for a future kicking on a dark night....

This time of year isn't so bad. Return when the winds change and you'll see the best rubbish India/Sri Lanka has to offer.

Yes, the Monsoons like to punt the trash back and forth. There was an earlier thread about beach cleanliness and as I mentioned in that thread, the local gov't officials just don't seem to care. They could easily arrange to have bins and cleaners working their most valuable asset, but they choose to not put much effort into keeping the beaches clean in their areas. They don't see any direct financial benefit, so no priority is given to wasting money on keeping the beaches clean.

• Like 1

Well, as you may know I am in the tourism business. I have hardly made a secret of that. I speak to tourists every day, and today for the first time I spoke to tourists who told me they would not come back unless the sunbeds come back. All others I have spoken to so far are happy with the present situation, and garbage at the beaches is not an issue at all, not in the past, not now.

All of Thailand's public areas are strewn with rubbish. The exceptions are places that are directly related to a specific private or government entity. e.g. the grounds of the headquarters of a large company or an army barracks or a large CAT installation.

What you have is the "no-one else is arsed so I can't be arsed" phenomenon. There is no shame in chucking litter here and absolutely no-one picks it up. When I was at school, we were taught to pick up litter if we saw it anywhere in the school and we did. This is not so here.

Remember that most Thais are only a couple of generations removed from a rice, fishing and forest foraging subsistence existence. When grandma and grandpa cast aside their biodegradable fish bones, banana skins and banana leaf plates as they have done since childhood, it is unremarkable later generations casually throw away crisp wrappers, plastic and all other modern non-degradable garbage.

Obviously change will occur slowly over several generations. Perhaps this could be hastened by the thessaban putting up posters (they like doing that) with photos of Huddersfield or pristine beaches of Nice or Clacton with a caption along the lines of "We can be clean as farang if we make the effort".

• Like 2

I did not mention my opinion here

Agreed. I stand corrected.

Although I live full-time in Phuket, as far as visiting beaches is concerned, I do this maybe twice a year. So it is also a shock for me to see how filthy these beaches and foreshore are.

BTW, I did not approach the tourists on this subject - they stopped to talk with me after seeing my TPV uniform etc.

As for taking photos and shaming the Tessabahn into action etc, did you just arrive in Thailand? smile.png Total waste of time and I'll only cause them to 'lose face' and to note my name in their black book for a future kicking on a dark night....

So, you don't think that posting photos of the filthy beaches so others can repost and perhaps get some Government reaction is worthwhile?

...ah, I understand now. You are a TPV.

It all makes sense now.

Carry on.

• Like 1

I must say that I have a friend visiting from the states right now and his first impression (and complaint) was the garbage everywhere, especially at the beach (Nai Harn)

I pointed out that there has been a vast improvement as there is now 3 trash bins on the southern end, in the parking lot.
So, they are filled up most days.
Emptied-not too often.
But at least it's a start.

It's my believe that if they (tourists) complain, things will get done about the problem
You can't very well blame the Thais dropping the litter, when there are no options.
I walked about 400 metres back to my truck to dispose of some the other day.
And I KNOW Thais aren't going to do THAT.
No choice but to toss it.

Blame game can be pointed lots of places: education, culture, parents showing their kids, etc.
But, it's not going to change until there is a place to throw it.

• Like 1

This time of year isn't so bad. Return when the winds change and you'll see the best rubbish India/Sri Lanka has to offer.

Yes, the Monsoons like to punt the trash back and forth. There was an earlier thread about beach cleanliness and as I mentioned in that thread, the local gov't officials just don't seem to care. They could easily arrange to have bins and cleaners working their most valuable asset, but they choose to not put much effort into keeping the beaches clean in their areas. They don't see any direct financial benefit, so no priority is given to wasting money on keeping the beaches clean.

Yes I did have a sense of dejavu.

I remember the thread now about the Indian writing on the trash.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/756995-Kata-Beach-Not-perfect-today..

Edited by hansgruber

In Thailand, living here for the last almost 6 years, I have always been amazed at the total lack of understanding for the need for copious amounts of public garbage cans. Thailand just doesn't seem to get it. They do not seem to be very bothered by garbage strewn everywhere and in every empty lot. I know of one empty lot next to the beach in North Pattaya that is one of the most disgusting impromptu garbage dumps I've ever seen for an empty lot. The city just doesn't seem to care or they are simply oblivious to garbage.

• Like 1

THAIS DONT CARE...THEY ARE THE ONES CREATING THIS FILTH..PARADISE LOST

Technically it's the tourists creating the filth. The Thai's just enjoy the financial returns and give nothing back towards the environment that gave them the financial windfall.

It's not quite lost but it will lose its market share with inaction.

Bang Saen and Wanapa Beach have trash bins everywhere and are emptied every morning but still on Monday mornings trash everywhere from the weekend. The cleaners are out at it at 4am trying to clean up the mess and the fire trucks are power washing the ground. They purchased a tractor that sweeps the sand every morning also. There is so much trash from the ocean that washes ashore and the kids throw stuff on the ground in the parking are. They leave there garbage on the tables like there moms will pick it up.

Well, as you may know I am in the tourism business. I have hardly made a secret of that. I speak to tourists every day, and today for the first time I spoke to tourists who told me they would not come back unless the sunbeds come back. All others I have spoken to so far are happy with the present situation, and garbage at the beaches is not an issue at all, not in the past, not now.

I drove down to Kata beach the other day and it was filthy. Of course tourists don't tell you they think the joint is filthy when they are booking tours with you. They have already made up their mind to go out when they walk in your shop

I drove down to Kata beach the other day and it was filthy. Of course tourists don't tell you they think the joint is filthy when they are booking tours with you. They have already made up their mind to go out when they walk in your shop

The first part of your post is your opinion, others can and will disagree with that. The latter part of your post is not correct.