Restriction of liquor sale time takes effect today throughout Thailand

webfact

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the beginning of the CLOSURE of the many SEX bars? Remember a few months back the big man in Bangkok did a "tour" of the girly bars? And he did not like them?

Instead of CLOSING them, Restrict them to the point of being un - viable.

This is what i see.

Bye bye tourism for Thailand. And BTW this type of tourism for Thailand goes back many hundreds of years.

Thais always had a reputation for Certain HOSPITALITIES.

No. This has nothing whatsoever to do with sex. Why should it?

I agree with both of you. This new regulation has nothing specifically to do with sex. But marcusd is also on to something with regard to tourism. All these new rules are part of an overall initiative to rebrand Thailand. They want foreigners to behave as they would in places like Singapore, not like they've seen in movies like the Hangover 2 or the Beach.

These reporters are supposed to be setting an example to us mere mortals with respect to correct writing. If this is the case, what does 12 pm mean? 12 noon or 12 midnight, ie, 1200 hrs or 2400 hrs Such misuse of the English language only brings confusion. Tut, tut!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is this the beginning of the CLOSURE of the many SEX bars? Remember a few months back the big man in Bangkok did a "tour" of the girly bars? And he did not like them?

This is what i see.

Bye bye tourism for Thailand. And BTW this type of tourism for Thailand goes back many hundreds of years.

I agree with both of you. This new regulation has nothing specifically to do with sex. But marcusd is also on to something with regard to tourism. All these new rules are part of an overall initiative to rebrand Thailand. They want foreigners to behave as they would in places like Singapore, not like they've seen in movies like the Hangover 2 or the Beach.

good luck with that one, especially since booze and sex built this country's tourism industry

These reporters are supposed to be setting an example to us mere mortals with respect to correct writing. If this is the case, what does 12 pm mean? 12 noon or 12 midnight, ie, 1200 hrs or 2400 hrs Such misuse of the English language only brings confusion. Tut, tut!

I believe that is usually supposed to be noon, but here they mean midnight.

Edited by BudRight

This is what i see.

Except that these rules are not new. they have existed for many years.

Restaurants was still allowed selling alcohol now they can't do it anymore.

The only change from the old rules, as far as I can see, is that the provision for purchasing "bulk" quantities outside the prescribed hours is now against the rules. This will affect businesses not the average punter.

Of course enforcement is another matter entirely.

The only change from the old rules, as far as I can see, is that the provision for purchasing "bulk" quantities outside the prescribed hours is now against the rules. This will affect businesses not the average punter.

Of course enforcement is another matter entirely.

I agree.

That seems to be the only change from the old law.

A law that has always been ignored in my area by all except Seven eleven and Tesco.

Nothing has changed for the "average Joe".

No, the big change is it now includes ALL Bars and restaurants serving alcohol too.

What a laughable farce of a country this land has become... Looks like any dimwit in charge needs to apply certain rules and restrictions to people's privacy and freedom of choice just to show who's boss.

Only thing that will happen is that the man on the street is even more angry, plus more confused and disgruntled tourists standing in front of 7Eleven fridges, with the good stuff so close, yet so far and hundreds of thousands of those little poor sales girlies having to go, "Sollieee, meteeer - cannot sell ancohon now, sollieee!" whenever a foreigner places his well deserved holiday beer on the counter.

There will be (as past has shown) NO decline in accidents, NO decline in domestic violence, NO change to the better because of this stupid alcohol ban. It'll just make things worse. A hardcore drunk will always make sure to have ample stash hidden somewhere, this idiotic restriction will not change this, nor will it change my ever growing doubts if I did the right thing with putting all my money on a horse called Thailand...

Edited by catweazle

What a relief. Problem of alcoholism in Thailand, especially among the (very) young : solved ! Yippee !

Now the lawmakers can move on to other issues :drugs, violence (especially in gangs), lack of education, status of women, abuse of children, forced labour ... I'm sure they'll quickly come up with solutions just as effective as this one.

It's a wonderful, wonderful world.

Edited by Yann55

Either my englisch is so bad or the article is poorely written:

>Airports however are given the same allowance as before while entertainment venues which in the past were allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm – 2.00 am can only do so up to midnight.

This means that in total, night time entertainment venues can only legally sell alcohol for 5 hours every day which in total is less than regular restaurants.

So this means according to the new regulations that discotheques, pubs, Bars, Karaokes etc. are allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm up to midnight? That would be crazy! And that would by the way only be 3 (!) hours instead of five as stated in the article.

So the bars in Bangkok are really going to stop serving alcohol at midnight now?

The new regulation is for Thailand not just Bangkok.

What a relief. Problem of alcoholism in Thailand, especially among the (very) young : solved ! Yippee !

Now the lawmakers can move on to other issues :drugs, violence (especially in gangs), lack of education, status of women, and I'm sure they'll quickly come up with solutions just as effective as this one.

It's a wonderful, wonderful world.

Nice one! clap2.gif

Read the article :

As for the reason for the new regulation governing alcohol sales, he stated that the old law was problematic as it did not cover every aspect.

The new law however takes into account every type restaurant and other venues selling alcohol.

where does it say that ?

I read it that is still the same for shops etc but now includes bars?

Bars operate under different legislation and licences which cover their operating hours.

Are you sure about that?

The article distinctly says every type of restaurant and other venues selling alcohol.

That sounds like bars to me.

This is what i see.

And there was me thinking that the sex trade and alcohol went hand in hand?

As I see it nothing has changed. Certain restaurants wouldn't serve booze between 2-5pm but others would, but I've never encountered a higher class restaurant not serving alcohol. I think the classification as "Entertainment Venue" is very ambiguous. All that would be required is for any bar or restaurant to hire a singer or musician to entertain.

I salute to the government. Alcohol is the worlds biggest epidemic. Much more than soft drugs. Alcohol claims millions of fatalities all over the world. Traffic accidents, violence, vandalism and fatal diseases.

Its about time to reveal the mask from the hypocrites.

where does it say that ?

Read the article :

As for the reason for the new regulation governing alcohol sales, he stated that the old law was problematic as it did not cover every aspect.

The new law however takes into account every type restaurant and other venues selling alcohol.

Where does it state that restaurants cannot sell alcohol during the prohibited hours ?

Edited by Don Mega

probably will not be enforced , but may be an issue for the seller(bar, restaurant) legally if they happen to sell alcohol to someone at the banned hours and that someone drives drunk,

kills people and they are able to prove the seller "illegaly" sold the alcohol...

Edited by rainman333