Phuket police arrest couple for theft from Italian tourist

webfact

Couple arrested for theft from Phuket tourist

1422098041_7486-org.jpg
Mitr and Prae took police to the location at Karon beach where they stole Mr Straforini's bag.

PHUKET: -- At around 11.30pm yesterday (January 23), Karon police arrested a couple who took part in the theft of an Italian tourist’s possessions at Karon Beach, and later at his hotel room at the Relax Garden Bungalow resort.

The police arrested the two after the man, Raffaele Straforini, 60, reported the theft of his items which included B1,020 in cash, a Citizen gold watch, motorcycle key, the key to his room, glasses, driving licence, a yellow bag, and a Honda Scoopy motorcycle.

Police managed identify the two after looking at CCTV footage from the resort and speaking to witnesses.

The two, Mitr Thongkliang, 23, and Prae Jomjai, 25, were caught riding Mr Straforini’s motorcycle later the same night around Karon, they were still in possession of all the other items.

Mitr and Prae admitted to first stealing Mr Straforini’s bag from the beach, and after realising they had a key to his room, went on to steal further items from there.

They were taken to Karon police station for further questioning and a now face charges of theft.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/couple-arrested-for-theft-from-phuket-tourist-50721.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-01-25

I must admit when I read the victim was Italian I was sure a ladyboy was the perpetrator. Karon is on a roll this year and crime will only increase as it's been slim pickings this high season.

"Karon is on a roll this year and crime will only increase as it's been slim pickings this high season." - not only will it increase, it will also spread.

• Like 1

Hotel room keys better not have the name of the hotel on it. Don't know how many times guests of my hotel managed to lose the key, apart from the risk clear from the post above, it is much better for the hotel just to give the guests a spare key and charge them a bit to make a new spare key, instead of having to change the lock.

When are Thais going to wake up to the fact that there are now CCTV cameras everywhere, and some of them even work. Not only does it help indentify thieves such as this pair, but it catches the boys in brown inside stores seeking their donations.

Any video available only 'sees' what the BIB want it to see.

• Like 1

Couldn't TV issue information about characters like these being jailed, rather than arrested.

Arrests mean little if no jail terms after being found guilty.

It would take away the communitie's doubts about the lack of jail terms in Thailand.

i stayed at karon last year on my two trips to phuket. I liked the small nightlife because i could walk down the street around the corner and it was quiet near the beach. One or two ladyboys tried to approach me but most got the hint as I just walked across the street away from them. One did "discreetly" follow me down to the little pier that overlooked the water. I just wanted to smell the air, listen to the waves, etc. It was a nice night. I had my umbrella with me because it was still the end of a few showers season. I turned and left the pier and "she" backed away. As I turned I noticed there was another one of them up closer by the sidewalk. I am pretty fit and wasn't drunk, but I have little doubts that they would have tried something had either one or both been able to get closer to me.

So because of the fact that the guy's the key had a tag or his key-card had a logo and room number they could locate the resort and enter his room?

Perhaps food for thought for hotel-/guesthouse and resort owners?

untill they got caught, they really hit the jackpot

free scooter, free gold watch, some spare money, free hotel room

in the more expensive hotels, you just have a keycard with no number on it

Citizen doesn't produce any golden watches. It might have the color, but not the material. Poor journalism bah.gif

i stayed at karon last year on my two trips to phuket. I liked the small nightlife because i could walk down the street around the corner and it was quiet near the beach. One or two ladyboys tried to approach me but most got the hint as I just walked across the street away from them. One did "discreetly" follow me down to the little pier that overlooked the water. I just wanted to smell the air, listen to the waves, etc. It was a nice night. I had my umbrella with me because it was still the end of a few showers season. I turned and left the pier and "she" backed away. As I turned I noticed there was another one of them up closer by the sidewalk. I am pretty fit and wasn't drunk, but I have little doubts that they would have tried something had either one or both been able to get closer to me.

It is a well known ladyboy hotspot in Karon. I normally drive fairly quickly through the beach road after 10 pm to avoid the pests