The expensive drinks thread

smokie36

Thought I'd kick this one off to give us a heads up on places which you might like to take your better half to impress them with the size of your wallet etc..

To start.. The Bar on Soi 24 by the Davis Hotel....223 Baht for a bottle of Heineken....nicely positioned by the roadside with elevator music and free nuts.

Please add your own favourites!

A drink is only to expensive if you don't need it enough!

This thread is not about TOO expensive.....just expensive.

I've not had to remortgage the house and a quick check of my wallet revealed 7k Baht so time for a slap up breakfast. ;)

• Like 1

Huntsman, Landmark soi 4. 230 Baht for a pint of Heineken. Not including 10% service charge and 7% tax. The beer is often sub standard. So if you want to waste your money on a pint of pish, you know where to go.

I wouldn't mind if it tasted like Heineken from Holland but it tastes like all the others, such as Tiger and Chang draft.

whistling.gif About 20 years ago now, I was roped into a night on Patpong with a "friend" I had worked with once in Saudi Arabia.

He had a Thai wife, and she asked if I would take him around Patpong, and show him some nice places.

Don't remember the drink prices, but the total bill was about 5000 Baht.

My memory of the drink prices is rather hazy, but I think he was drinking 150 t0 200 Baht shots of expensive stuff.

Including the "one hour "massage" upstairs he had with a "bargirls" which was no more than 30 minutes at best.

We spent no more than 4 hours going around Patpong to the places where HE wanted to go.

In the end the S.O.B. stiffed me for the 5000 Baht because he had "forgotten" to bring enough money.

End of aquintence, and end of friendship with him.

Got him back though, as his Thai wife found out about the night, and took the 5000 Baht from him and gave it to me with apologies for her husband.

I heard they were later divorced, and she returned to Thailand without him a year or so later.

She was a smart, well educated Thai woman (degree in hotel management at University of Texas) whose family supposedly owned a hotel on Koh Samui.

Good looking to, but a little older (late 20"s) than other girls when I knew her.

She'd be well in her fifties now. I understand she took over the management of her families hotel at one point.

Met her American husband and married him while she was going to school in Texas.

Husband turned out to be a drunk and a loser.

• Like 2

I do find it a little difficult to call drinks 'expensive'

here having spent years being gouged in the West End and

City of London and routinely paying £12 for spirit &

mixer 5 or 6 years ago but if I absolutely had to raise

an eyebrow over prices, Maggie Choos in Silom is the place

I'd do it in. 300 baht for spirit & mixer.

Hyde & seek is good for post work drinks. I like opposite mess hall as well for post work drinks and nibbles. Hemmingways an oasis just off Sukhumvit and great for a pint outside. Seenspace never lets me down and there are a few good options there. Oskars if you are with cats from out of town and its a good place to start on soi 11

OB

Hyde & seek is good for post work drinks. I like opposite mess hall as well for post work drinks and nibbles. Hemmingways an oasis just off Sukhumvit and great for a pint outside. Seenspace never lets me down and there are a few good options there. Oskars if you are with cats from out of town and its a good place to start on soi 11

OB

Hyde and Seek must be the only place in the world I'd order a cheeseburger as I would some beer nuts.

Miniscule and I think 400 Baht. ..lol

A bottle of Singha some 20 - 25 years ago. I think that the down payment was around 50 baht, but I'm still paying with many millions in instalments along the way. Whoops, my wife just looked over my shoulder!

OB

Hyde and Seek must be the only place in the world I'd order a cheeseburger as I would some beer nuts.

Miniscule and I think 400 Baht. ..lol

Make a decent negroni though.

OB

• Like 1

I paid 350B for a 'large' glass of craft beer in a bar in Ekkamai the other week. That was the cheapest they had. Some were around 700B I think. Just had the one beer.

Go to most of the tourist areas and most bars are over charging.

Regular Thai pub you get a big Leo for around 100B yet most tourist places are selling small bottles for over 100B.

Edited by TheSpade

Last month, on one of my visits to Bkk, I finally went to the Sky Bar (my neighbor convinced me to watch Hangover 2).

I paid 550 baht for a vodka on the rocks (the menu said Absolut, but I think it was the Thai version of Absolut).

I nursed that drink like never before. I actually enjoyed my time there, chatting with some others and admiring the view, so it was ok.

But after reading this thread, I am thinking I got a really good deal.

Edited by californiabeachboy