Koh Tao mayor blasts UK media's 'negative reporting'

webfact

OK Ok, lets give this island where so many foreigners die the most positive spin we can. Clearly there is a person or group on the island (or is a frequent visitor) who is untouchable but who has a thing about killing foreigners. Instead of raking over the coals in the British tabloids, this condition should be seen as a difficult-to-satisfy-need.

But instead of hiding this fact, why not advertise the island for those who, for whatever reason (illness, depression, gone broke etc) want to be killed. It would be a simple matter of going there and wearing a certain type of teeshirt (an appropriate design could be found, say with a target on it!) so that the wrong person does not stop the bullet. Obviously, there would be a sign at the port warning those not wishing to be offed not to wear such a teeshirt!

This might appeal to those who are too scared to do it themselves and just do not want to know when they are going to be offed. A separate method could be offered for those who want to go while they are doing their favourite activity (and this being Thailand there could be a certain kind of bar-girl who could supply the favourite activity side of the bargain) Any method of killing beyond a bullet in the head would cost more - you could choose a variety of ways of departure and they might even put torture on the menu as a special, depending on client's wishes.

The person or group could both make money for the island and do a public service as well as bringing in much needed income to the island, now that the divers and others have moved on somewhere else. Just a thought . . . . . . .

There you go.

Rename it Kevorkian Island.

• Like 1

The British media should know that reporting the truth in or about Thailand is unfair on Thai's.

When will the Western media learn?

Dumbest post of the year. Your sarcastic innuendo is moot trash. What you are saying is that when someone says something deleterious about the Thais they do not have justification in defending themselves. And do you actually believe that the British media has any reservations about sensationalizing on what happened to that girl, eh? Hey genius. Lets here your source of info which gives such veracity to the reporting.

here is the truth from a farang who comes to ko tao a lot. its still a nice place, its getting over developed though. like ko lipe,, in the south I wont go to lipe anymore. its irresponsible for me to go to aplace over developed. im promoting that by going. they are doing more construction on ko tao. construction here should be strictly restricted its a small island and the ecosystem can take only so much. I didn't know ko tao had a mayor. the thai military should have an outpost here. and the police here need a major overhaul.............no more motorbike owners paying off the cops to look the other way , when the motorcycle shops rip off farang. the police should ENFORCE A HELMET LAW HERE AND A SPEED LIMIT.... many die here each year on the roads. the young farang here are stupid I saw a gal riding a motorbike in a thong today. many farang don't wear any sort of shoes on a motorbike that is stupid. first step here is to have a cop at major intersections and they should give fines to infractions. that would be good first step. this place is out of control.

The sudden death of a previously healthy young individual is a rare but tragic event. Every year about one in 100,000 people aged between one and 35 dies suddenly of a natural cause.

The vast majority of sudden death cases in the young are caused by diseases of the heart. In about 70% of cases, an autopsy reveals a structural abnormality of the heart which led to a fatal cardiac arrhythmia.

......and your point!!

• Alcohol and prescription painkillers

Even though this combo causes slightly fewer hospital visits than mixing drinks with benzos—15% of visits involving alcohol and drugs, versus 21% that involve anxiety drugs—it may be growing in popularity.

She had all 3 of these - tramodol (strong pain killer), valium (anxiety drug) and alcohol whilst suffering from a severe chest infection.

Don't you think that this concoction might have been responsible for her death?

• Like 1

The sudden death of a previously healthy young individual is a rare but tragic event. Every year about one in 100,000 people aged between one and 35 dies suddenly of a natural cause.

The vast majority of sudden death cases in the young are caused by diseases of the heart. In about 70% of cases, an autopsy reveals a structural abnormality of the heart which led to a fatal cardiac arrhythmia.

......and your point!!

• Alcohol and prescription painkillers

Even though this combo causes slightly fewer hospital visits than mixing drinks with benzos—15% of visits involving alcohol and drugs, versus 21% that involve anxiety drugs—it may be growing in popularity.

She had all 3 of these - tramodol (strong pain killer), valium (anxiety drug) and alcohol whilst suffering from a severe chest infection.

Don't you think that this concoction might have been responsible for her death?

It seems EXTREMELY likely that she died due to mixing alcohol with drugs..

But as long as mafia is controlling Koh Tao, the rumours will continue spreading and people will have their second thoughts about anything that happens.

How did she get valium? Was it prescribed by a doctor or illegally sold over the counter in the pharmacy?

lucky11#160 Not "according to me" that's for you to decide!! I have stated my position - now you should state yours (if it differs) or stop criticising mine.

I am waiting for the UK inquest to decide, but in the mean time I personally think it was an accidental drug overdose. However I am also not confident that an investigation of any notable standard has been carried out by the RTP in this, as is historic in Koh Tao. If you don't question as a result and believe everything thrown at you by the Thai Authorities then I think your very naive.

UK inquest?.....and what have the Thai authorities/RTP thrown at us relating to her death. I wasn't aware that the RTP had carried out an investigation as to her cause of death - are you sure that you are on the correct thread?

UK inquest yes. Whats strange about that?

You've just about got it, what investigation into her death?? Perhaps you need to do a little reading or research

lucky11#160 Not "according to me" that's for you to decide!! I have stated my position - now you should state yours (if it differs) or stop criticising mine.

I am waiting for the UK inquest to decide, but in the mean time I personally think it was an accidental drug overdose. However I am also not confident that an investigation of any notable standard has been carried out by the RTP in this, as is historic in Koh Tao. If you don't question as a result and believe everything thrown at you by the Thai Authorities then I think your very naive.

UK inquest?.....and what have the Thai authorities/RTP thrown at us relating to her death. I wasn't aware that the RTP had carried out an investigation as to her cause of death - are you sure that you are on the correct thread?

You've just about got it, what investigation into her death?? Perhaps you need to do a little reading or research

But you haven't. Have you.

There won't be a UK inquest as one won't be needed as her death is not suspicious. There won't be an investigation as to her cause of death either as it doesn't require one to be held.

In fact, this is probably the last you will hear of it other than she died of an accidental overdose of drugs and alcohol.

There won't be a UK inquest as one won't be needed as her death is not suspicious. There won't be an investigation as to her cause of death either as it doesn't require one to be held.

In fact, this is probably the last you will hear of it other than she died of an accidental overdose of drugs and alcohol.

I think he means an inquire and and such has nothing to do with suspicious or not, it's related to unexplained, sudden or violent death.

This will most probably take place when her body arrives to the UK.

Actually, this could also lead to an inquest but personally I doubt it, but I do hope it will.

There wont be an inquest as her death is not suspicious, how do you know that? Have you access to the full autopsy results to make such a bold claim. Do you get it yet? You are speculating

Some of the British people I have observed in Thailand show scant regard for it's people or it's culture

They treat it like a boozy night out, imagining they're still in some British town or city drinking far too much and plaguing the community

Most of the problems encountered by foreigners are self inflicted

Stay sober, dress modestly, avoid arguments, and respect the host people and the country and one can lead a very happy life in this beautiful Kingdom

I am going to speculate further with a bold prediction:

There won't be an inquest, investigation or an inquiry into her death. Let's see who is right on this, shall we.

Brilliant as prescribed by the RTP, a perfect case wrapped up and closed. I'll wait to see if your prediction comes true

Source Dictionary.com

judicial inquiry by a group of persons appointed by a court. The most common type is the inquest set up to investigate a death apparently occasioned by unnatural means.

Witnesses are examined, and a special jury returns a verdict on the cause of death. In England inquests are also required when there is loss or injury in a fire.

The inquest is confined to common-law jurisdictions that have a coroner system

I guess I was wrong and ThailandChili had his head screwed on correct. My apologies ThailandChili.

Edited by KamalaRider
  • Like 1

Koh Tao mayor blasts UK media's 'negative reporting

....Meanwhile, "The entire World blasts Koh Tao's negative tourist survival rate"

Truth hurts when you're sheltered behind a face saving "krengjai" culture. Poor man.

Soon a documentry is gonna be on Uk/European TV..it will highlight all the flaws/misdemeanors etc linked to the untimely deaths of tourists over the last few months on KT..& the report will revel in the evidence..or lack of it, + the incompetance of the local MiB, & will no doubt hint of a connection between the local mafia & powers-that-be on this island..& guess what?..this very same mayor may turn out to be on that list the TV producers have compiled.

• Like 1

Source Dictionary.com

judicial inquiry by a group of persons appointed by a court. The most common type is the inquest set up to investigate a death apparently occasioned by unnatural means.

Witnesses are examined, and a special jury returns a verdict on the cause of death. In England inquests are also required when there is loss or injury in a fire.

I guess I was wrong and ThailandChili had his head screwed on correct. My apologies ThailandChili.

What has this got to do with an investigation/inquest into her death?

It isn't a judicial enquiry, her death was not unnatural and there are no witnesses to examine plus there wasn't a fire involved.

It also didn't happen in the UK. Other than that I suppose one is possible!!clap2.gif.

Soon a documentry is gonna be on Uk/European TV..it will highlight all the flaws/misdemeanors etc linked to the untimely deaths of tourists over the last few months on KT..& the report will revel in the evidence..or lack of it, + the incompetance of the local MiB, & will no doubt hint of a connection between the local mafia & powers-that-be on this island..& guess what?..this very same mayor may turn out to be on that list the TV producers have compiled.

Interesting. Could you provide the source of your information please?

Source Dictionary.com

It isn't a judicial enquiry, her death was not unnatural and there are no witnesses to examine plus there wasn't a fire involved.

It also didn't happen in the UK. Other than that I suppose one is possible!!clap2.gif.

hello Mr Mayor.....any unexpected death at such a young age is considered unnatural, and as such, there should be inquest into her death.......

Source Dictionary.com

Please, don't mistake UK laws or European laws with Thai laws, there most certainly will be an inquire when her body arrives to the UK.

She is a citizen of UK, she died an UNNATURAL death, actually I don't quite get it, why do you want to convince people that a 23 year old dies a natural death of old age or from a long lasted well documented illness.

Whether there are witnesses or not, the coroner will make an autopsy to try to find the reason for her death.

I doubt very much they will rely on a Thai autopsy where her body have been left to decay for more than 5 days in the Thai heat.

Now, please don't presume you know anything of UK regulations and laws unless you have a good knowledge of such.

I won't presume I have it either but I'm pretty good at finding information on the internet as I have access to data from various sources around the world, not only Google and wikipedia..

• Like 2

On the one hand, Mayor is a fairly grandiose title for someone who is the head of a very small island village. So his abilities are probably far less than the title suggests.

On the other hand, the "fiefdom" system that exists in Thailand means that he and his backers wield something close to absolute power.

So you have someone with limited abilities ruling pretty much absolutely. And, might it add, with vested personal, commercial interest.

It's a recipe for accidents, corruption, murders, drug related activities etc, all under the guise of tourism.

No wonder the incidence of death, by whatever means, is statistically through the roof.

• Like 2