Big Screens: Was der F Chiang Mai, Was der F!

WinnieTheKhwai

In 1982, Blade Runner came out as an American neo-noir dystopian science fiction film directed by Ridley Scott and starring Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer. One of the images of that movie that was burned into my brain of this bleak future society was the presence of huge screens all over projecting various advertisements. At the time, I wondered about this sad fictional view of city life, never imagining that it really could come to pass... but it did.

In the US, many cities and states have banned roadside bill boards in an attempt to beautify the environment. Some have gone so far as to ban large 'fronts' on fast food franchises (no Golden Arches.) It seems Chiang Mai doesn't give a damn how it looks it its efforts to make another baht...

• Like 1

These eyesores are popping up everywhere. Going to be like Times Square soon.

Posted a while ago that the powers that be seem to be intent on making the so called "cultural" city of CM into another big city eyesore.

7/11's Mc Donalds and KFC stores seem to be emerging everywhere as well as these hideous electronic billboards.

There is a magnificent old building on Thapae Rd, opp Worowat, falling into totally disrepair. Been waiting for someone to renovate it but I guess that will be knocked down soon,if it doesn't fall down first.In most other countries that would be restored to its former glory as an example of early architecture in this part of the world.

Whatever charm CM had is quickly being lost and has been said its all about money.

In 1982, Blade Runner came out as an American neo-noir dystopian science fiction film directed by Ridley Scott and starring Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer. One of the images of that movie that was burned into my brain of this bleak future society was the presence of huge screens all over projecting various advertisements. At the time, I wondered about this sad fictional view of city life, never imagining that it really could come to pass... but it did.

In the US, many cities and states have banned roadside bill boards in an attempt to beautify the environment. Some have gone so far as to ban large 'fronts' on fast food franchises (no Golden Arches.) It seems Chiang Mai doesn't give a damn how it looks it its efforts to make another baht...

Blade Runner is an all time favorite. (I got the Blue Ray special edition. )Sadly science fiction continues to predict future reality. Reported by Google Soon electronic signs will sense your mobile and flash you targeted advertising, as in Speilbergs 2002 "Minority Report". When robots become widespread we actual people will become even more useless to the Elite Managerial Class which controls most of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right Winnie, a horrible screen on a location like that, but see it like this It covers a horrible new TAT building...

I think the TAT actually moved out of there, back to their original location just across from the Iron Bridge.

Not sure if that building on the corner of Thapae Road will still remain as an information center..

• Like 1

All these screens around the City, most at busy intersections begs the question, who are they aimed at? Well, theyre not aimed at pedestrians, so they can only be aimed at drivers of moving vehicles, moving vehicles in the Country which is officially the second most dangerous in the World to drive based on recently published accident statistics.

Really clever, that, officially distracting drivers who are already in a dangerous environment. Very clever I dont think !!!

• Like 1

What are CM "netizens" saying about all this? Or are they only concerned with "inappropriate" behaviour by "whiteys"?

Anyone follow the thai forums?

Hmm.. that would actually be a pretty good idea to go troll CM108 with this..

Thais don't do sarcasm too well generally speaking, but I can find another format.. ;)

• Like 1

---t I wondered what that metal hulk was going to be. What an atrocious eyesore.

That is part of the Chiang Mai municipality building (tourist information).

It is a shame that Chiang Mai is run by so many clueless people, in both government and tourism.

• Like 1

Actually, for Winnie the K and any others who're Thai literate, there's some upset going on in the Raks Mae Ping Facebook page over them right now. The deliberateness, the fact that it's just across from mansion, so close to TAT, and Thapae/ historic downtown. It's a good read and nice to hear some voices of concern being raised on the Thai side. Admittedly they mostly feel it's a hopeless cause and point out that the whole bridge area is now surrounded by these big eyesores.

https://www.facebook.com/Raks.Mae.Ping.Page

• Like 1

---t I wondered what that metal hulk was going to be. What an atrocious eyesore.

That is part of the Chiang Mai municipality building (tourist information).

It is a shame that Chiang Mai is run by so many clueless people, in both government and tourism.

Thai Chinese run the show here .. they are just copying and getting ideas from the mother country for more income

they dont give a damm for suggestions they could be distractions or eyesores as long as the cash rolls in

You may be correct Mickeem that the chinese are 'behind the screens' but the local gov't is most likely in cahoots as the permits for such screens depends on the gov't officials. Why no tall buildings within the CM moat area? Right, some local 'law' or permit process forbids such buildings. A very good idea, IMO. So also the gov't could forbid the screens, even if on private property. But the gov't guys are making good money off the screens, via corrupt payments, so the screens proliferate coz the cost is low and visualization is high. Are the screens effective? Is email spam effective?

At this time i doubt any restrictions apply to the screens and the gov't is too lax to impose any. The gov't here, as in many places, is not elected so does not speak for the people but rather speaks for the monied class.