UK Visitors Visa, getting the application right

Hi,

I have read various posts and have picked up some good advise on this subject but still unclear on some points , any advise on these points would greatly appreciated.

Whilst my 22 year old son was travelling round Thailand he met a lovely, Thai girl, they have remained in touch since he returned home to UK and I went out to Thailand for 2 weeks back in October to see my son and spent time with them both. I would like her to come and visit the rest of my family. I am more than happy to sponsor her, we keep in touch regularly. I would like her to come and stay with our family for 3 months. My son cant sponsor her as he doesn't earn much of a salary. I have a very stable job in a bank and earn a decent salary so I can provide as much supporting evidence as the UKBA need, I also own my own home. She doesn't have a lot of savings but she will stay with us anyway. She will be booking a return flight. She speaks quite good English but I don't think her English writing is too good.

Questions

1) I know where to get the sponsor letter and the application form, can she fill this in Thai, if filling in online how do I attach my sponsor letter, references and bank statements, I dont want the application to be submitted without the chance to support it.

2) When completed can I get this checked by a reputable third party, not the expensive legal agencies though. Typically, how much does this cost, any reputable agent contacts?

3) Where does she deliver her supporting docs to e.g. her Passport? She lives in Pattiya, but she can travel to Bangkok.

4) Does she have to have an interview

5) Is this likely to be straight forward

Thank you

The result of the application will depend mainly on your son's girlfriend's "reasons to return" to Thailand. The Entry Clearance Officer will not, I think, have much problem with you, or the sponsorship, but he will be looking mainly at the applicant - her background, her current circumstances, and her reasons to return to Thailand.

I'm not sure what you mean by knowing where to get the sponsorship letter ? Any such letter is not prescriptive, and you can submit one in virtually any format you like. The application, including the application form, is now done online ( including the payment, for which a credit or debit card is needed). However, the applicant then submits a hard copy of the online application herself, and gives biometrics, at the visa application centre in Bangkok. She can also submit any supporting documents at the same time.

There is normally no interview, although the Entry Clearance Officer could do so if he wished. If there are any further questions from the ECO, they are normally done by phone, direct to the applicant.

I don't know of any agents that do just a "checking" service. We don't do it any longer, as it usually turned out, in many cases, to be a full application rather than just a quick check. As part of our normal service, we provide a taxi to the visa application centre, accompanied by a staff member.

Tony M

Edited by ThaiVisaExpress

You will have to send the supporting documents to Thailand and the applicant will submit them with the printed application at the VFS Office in Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok, she has to do this alone and at the same time will have her biometric details recorded.

Your son will need to explain how he met, how they keep in touch and provide evidence of this.

If she is working, a letter from her employer stating she has a job to return to is very useful and as most Thais only get a couple of weeks holiday per annum, if she is staying longer the letter should also state if she is being given extra time off.

Do not tell any porkies about her job, they will most likely call her employer if she has one to check the details she has given.

The biggest hurdle to overcome is for HER to have a credible REASON TO RETURN.

You can be the richest sponsor in the world but that makes no difference to the way UKVI see HER application.

Many (most?) UK visit visa applicants are ordinary tourists and so don't have a sponsor at all.

If an applicant does have a sponsor, that person is usually the person the applicant is coming to the UK with or to visit. In this case your son.

Finance for the visit can come from the applicant, the sponsor (your son), a third party (you) or any combination of these. Whoever is contributing toward the cost of the visit must provide evidence that they can afford to do so.

As well as providing finance, a third party (you) can also, of course, provide accommodation.

I suggest that your son writes a letter outlining a brief history of the relationship, why his girlfriend is visiting the UK at this time and what their future plans, if any, together are.

You should write a letter confirming you will finance the visit and provide accommodation, briefly describing that accommodation to show there is room for her, and saying why you are so doing.

More details can be found at UK visit visa basics.

<snip>the applicant then submits a hard copy of the online application herself, and gives biometrics, at the visa application centre in Bangkok. She can also submit any supporting documents at the same time.

See their website for address etc.

Edited by 7by7

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack this thread a little, last year my girlfriend was denied her visa as I could not show sufficient evidence of funds as the sponsor, since then my circumstances have changed and now we are looking to apply again in April, I cannot provide payslips as I am a company director who does not take a salary but is paid in regular dividends from my company which show in my bank statements and I have a healthy balance in my account, any advice with regards to my situation would be appreciated! Thank you for reading.