Tottenham Thread

chonabot

5 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Good result last night and congrats on entering the Europa League for the sixth consecutive season. Your disappointing appearance in the Champions League will no doubt have been good experience for another crack at it next season.

Its good to get our young players in particular more experience in Europe.

This year of course there are five strong sides competing for four places.

Manure will be nowhere again.

Good to see good young English players getting into your side. It must be a club policy - you still have English owners. Last Chelsea player to come through the ranks and play regularly for the 1st team is Terry, at Liverpool it's Gerrard. At Man City? SWP or Joey Barton? Fair play to Man Utd: they have never stopped bringing youth players through.

Rather disappointed with our performance.  A lot of huff and puff but lacking in creativity.  Eriksen no spark and i wish Delli Alli would cut out the show boating and stick to the basics.

Strange substitution in taking off Son who i thought was our best player in the first half.  

It just appeared to me that we were lost for ideas.  Onwards to Hull next weekend

50 minutes ago, carmine said:

Rather disappointed with our performance.  A lot of huff and puff but lacking in creativity.  Eriksen no spark and i wish Delli Alli would cut out the show boating and stick to the basics.

Strange substitution in taking off Son who i thought was our best player in the first half.  

It just appeared to me that we were lost for ideas.  Onwards to Hull next weekend

The nut meg thing with Dele is becoming a joke plus his spats with the opposition are making him look silly,  Son probably looked the most likely to score,  perhaps Dele and Eriksen need a rest and time to give Siss and NKD a run.

Incidently carms the Hull game is wednesday.

1 minute ago, alfieconn said:

The nut meg thing with Dele is becoming a joke plus his spats with the opposition are making him look silly,  Son probably looked the most likely to score,  perhaps Dele and Eriksen need a rest and time to give Siss and NKD a run.

Incidently carms the Hull game is wednesday.

Agree with all that!  I just find Dele thoroughly irritating at the moment.  Behaves like a kid who needs to grow up.  Less of the trying to make opposition players look silly and more graft for the team.  

The financial power of Chelsea, United and City, even Arsenal and Liverpool, outstrips that of Tottenham. Of the quintet, only Spurs are trying to remain competitive while managing a £750million stadium project.

Been there, done that.

The question is can Poch keep them in the top 4 every year on a budget?

21 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Interesting piece : 

Tom Collomosse for the Evening Standard
Frustration has been the name of the game for Tottenham this season, yet as they approach its halfway stage, they should be happy with their work.

Tottenham do not spend as much as their main rivals, they lack squad depth and, at different times, have been without their goalkeeper, their best defender, their best midfielder and their best striker. They also tried, unsuccessfully, to get to grips with the Champions League, a competition many of the squad were experiencing for the first time.

Yet, after 16 games, Mauricio Pochettino’s fifth-placed team are only four points behind Arsenal, who are third. When everything is taken into account, it is a pretty impressive effort.

Forget the last campaign. It produced a set of circumstances unlikely to be repeated. When again will we see Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool all finish outside the top four, or Manchester City fade so badly? If Spurs came so close, it was due as much to the flaws of others as their own excellence.

Call it cold, call it unromantic, but the front runners this season are there for a reason: they spend huge sums on transfer fees and wages to secure the best players available. In most elite leagues, the picture is exactly the same. Those who commit the most money collect the greatest prizes.

The financial power of Chelsea, United and City, even Arsenal and Liverpool, outstrips that of Tottenham. Of the quintet, only Spurs are trying to remain competitive while managing a £750million stadium project.

Some argue strongly that Tottenham should be bolder with fees and wages, but this is unrealistic. Under these financial circumstances, it is a risk chairman Daniel Levy will not take. Regardless of its merits and defects, he is not going to change that policy. Those who expect significant spending in January should probably not hold their breath.

There is only one club in the top six punching above their weight, and it is Tottenham. Not only is their wage bill considerably lower than those of the other five, their top earners are paid less than those of West Ham and Crystal Palace.

Good piece.  All\though i think its fair to say theres a big question mark hanging over some of the summer signings, but lets assess them at the end of the season.

And not surprisingly, no comment from the usual suspects on the forum.......surely one of them has something stupid to say? :smile:

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Sorry but the statement that stood out to me like dog's bollacks from that article was about Spurs being only 4 points behind 3rd placed Arsenal and not x points behind the top team Chelsea!

I think he was referring to a top four berth.  

And just to emphasize, Spurs fans don't presume to regard ourselves as title challengers, certainly not at this stage of the season.

16 minutes ago, carmine said:

I think he was referring to a top four berth.  

And just to emphasize, Spurs fans don't presume to regard ourselves as title challengers, certainly not at this stage of the season.

Statement wasn't about Spurs fans it was about the Club spurs. Maybe spurs need to consider themselves worthy title challengers (and therefore x points behind the leaders and not 3rd place) in order to become title challengers.

Surely you are better equipped player-wise and experience-wise to challenge for the top spot this season than your showing last season?

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Good to go into the new year on the back of two wins although theres obviously still a need to sharpen up.  Rose obviously MOM...had a great game but difficult to single out any others.  I thought that Son and Sissoko both made a decent impact when they came on but at the back we never look anywhere near as assured without Alderweirald.

Hopefully we should have a fit squad for our next fixture away to Soton which will be a tough one.

On 18/12/2559 at 11:35 AM, carmine said:

i know the statement wasn't about Spurs fans.  I threw that one in.

But to add to that, its clear that we haven't as a whole played as well yet this season as last so why would we at this stage consider ourselves title challengers.  I've also already said our summer signings are very much in review

I'll just edit to add that as Collomose indicates despite everything were still right up there so thats very promising

At times this season, you've played vibrant,attacking football which is definitely worthy to be regarded as a title challenger. However, you do seem to have flaws mentality wise.  Delli Ali needs to extract his head from his arse and graft for the team when defending.

• Like 1