Tottenham Thread

chonabot

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I can remember when L Orient (WHU's new neighbors) were in the top flight. And I watched all Spurs home games during the double winning season (seems a long time ago now).

After the last home game (WBA) we all went onto the pitch and demanded the players show themselves. I pulled out a bit of grass from the playing surface. I've still got it.

That u 'up the o's'.? . wow the double season.. at whl .. now that was some team.. cant remember how many players spurs used that season but doubt it was more than 13 or 14.. tiredness.. IN FOOTIE is a relatively new concept. Not sayin it's wrong .. however.

11 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

That u 'up the o's'.? . wow the double season.. at whl .. now that was some team.. cant remember how many players spurs used that season but doubt it was more than 13 or 14.. tiredness.. IN FOOTIE is a relatively new concept. Not sayin it's wrong .. however.

Pace is entirely different now 3-2 you simply can't compare.

17 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Yes! The Orient. Changed back to Leyton Orient a few years back.

I think the Spurs double team used 16/17 players. There was the regular 11 and 

Frank Saul

John Hollowbread

Terry Medwin

Tony Marchi

?????

Just can't remember them all without looking it up. Great team. But Liverpool came on the scene shortly afterwards and it was the first time I had ever seen 4-2-4 played. Paisley was the brains and Shanks the heart.

In Bill Nick's first game (I wasn't there) at home they beat Everton 10-4. Some game that must have been. 

Nothing to do with Spurs, but there was a game around that time when Utd beat Villa 6-4 and all but two goals were headers. It was all about the wingers getting in those crosses.

And as for fitness! There was no sprinting or gym work. It was stamina, stamina and more of the same. The pitches were heavy and without endurance the players would not have lasted the 90 minutes. No subs in those days.

Edited by owl sees all

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Yes! The Orient. Changed back to Leyton Orient a few years back.

I think the Spurs double team used 16/17 players. There was the regular 11 and 

Frank Saul

John Hollowbread

Terry Medwin

Tony Marchi

?????

Just can't remember them all without looking it up. Great team. But Liverpool came on the scene shortly afterwards and it was the first time I had ever seen 4-2-4 played. Paisley was the brains and Shanks the heart.

In Bill Nick's first game (I wasn't there) at home they beat Everton 10-4. Some game that must have been. 

Nothing to do with Spurs, but there was a game around that time when Utd beat Villa 6-4 and all but two goals were headers. It was all about the wingers getting in those crosses.

Was frank saul there ? He was in the 67 cup final .. not sure b4

Goes

Brown   dyson  smith .. norman . medwin jones  can recall the 67 team but the double was b4 my time  

Yeah and totally agree with that on liverpool 79 ish, still to this day imo they re up there with the all time greats that i've seen which inc barc r.m.. liverpool.. well u just couldnt get the frigging ball of them.. saw them at whl around that time and it was 0.0 i think but 6.0 to them would have been a fairer reflection they were truly awesome.

14 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Was frank saul there ? He was in the 67 cup final .. not sure b4

Goes

Brown   dyson  smith .. norman . medwin jones  can recall the 67 team but the double was b4 my time  

Yeah and totally agree with that on liverpool 79 ish, still to this day imo they re up there with the all time greats that i've seen which inc barc r.m.. liverpool.. well u just couldnt get the frigging ball of them.. saw them at whl around that time and it was 0.0 i think but 6.0 to them would have

been a fairer reflection they were truly awesome.

Brown

Baker

Henry

McKay

Norman

Blanchflower

Dyson

Allen

Smith

White

Jones

When I came out the army in the 1960s I played semi-pro for an Enfield team. In the summer we would go for runs along the river Lee. On Wednesday; if we didn't have a game, there would be a 10 mile run. Could you imagine that now-a-days?

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Brown

Baker

Henry

McKay

Norman

Blanchflower

Dyson

Allen

Smith

White

Jones

When I came out the army in the 1960s I played semi-pro for an Enfield team. In the summer we would go for runs along the river Lee. On Wednesday; if we didn't have a game, there would be a 10 mile run. Could you imagine that now-a-days?

Yeah.. but no subs..  according to wiki we used 17 frank saul was there.. hollowbread barton  john smith terry medwin..  oh and those allens got EVERY WHERE.. got my first dog of one of the clan.. who went on and played pro somewhere..

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Brown

Baker

Henry

McKay

Norman

Blanchflower

Dyson

Allen

Smith

White

Jones

I use to live in Ordnance Rd, Enfield Lock, the road that runs down to the Lee, use to be able to hear the small arms factory firing off rounds at our local park.A different place nowadays, more like a United Nations war zone unfortunately ????

Edited by alfieconn

Interesting comments  from some of you on the 60s from which i learnt something. Never knew Orient had ever been in the top flight of English football ("once in its history, a single season in Division One in 1962–63 which ended in relegation"). Just learnt as well that they are "second oldest football club in London, behind Fulham". Cheers guys.

Now were being linked with a 45m bid for Mauro Icadi!!!  Absolute crap i reckon.  A guy in his prime, was the highest goalscorer in series A (still find it difficult to believe he was selected for the world cup squad) and he wants to come to us, probably reduce his wages and compete for a starting place with Kane!!

Bit of a lack of imagination from the journalists here.  He could go to United and get paid 350k a week i'd have thought!

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Interesting comments  from some of you on the 60s from which i learnt something. Never knew Orient had ever been in the top flight of English football ("once in its history, a single season in Division One in 1962–63 which ended in relegation"). Just learnt as well that they are "second oldest football club in London, behind Fulham". Cheers guys.

Thanks for taking an interest BB. 

Very interesting and traumatic history. On and off the pitch. Real sad to see them languishing in the National league (5th tier). I think the lowest placing of any top flight team since 1960.

The very first pro' game I ever watched was L Orient v Sheffield Wednesday. I think it was 1958/59 and was a 2-2 draw. The last game I watched at Brisbane Road saw the O's beat Aston Villa 4-0. Strange result that 'cause a couple of years later villa were Champ's of Europe and the O's were on the slippery downward slope. I would watch them from the north stand which didn't have concrete steps then, just cinders.

Just as a footnote; The London Stadium, (WHU's new ground and very close to LO's ground) was partly built on a cycle race track. I raced there on Sundays. My daughter was an accomplished triathlete and trained there before it closed. She went on to become a world champion. Very proud Dad here typing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Thanks for taking an interest BB. 

Very interesting and traumatic history. On and off the pitch. Real sad to see them languishing in the National league (5th tier). I think the lowest placing of any top flight team since 1960.

The very first pro' game I ever watched was L Orient v Sheffield Wednesday. I think it was 1958/59 and was a 2-2 draw. The last game I watched at Brisbane Road saw the O's beat Aston Villa 4-0. Strange result that 'cause a couple of years later villa were Champ's of Europe and the O's were on the slippery downward slope. I would watch them from the north stand which didn't have concrete steps then, just cinders.

Just as a footnote; The London Stadium, (WHU's new ground and very close to LO's ground) was partly built on a cycle race track. I raced there on Sundays. My daughter was an accomplished triathlete and trained there before it closed. She went on to become a world champion. Very proud Dad here typing.

Was that .. the no brakes no gears  cycle speedway?  

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I think the lowest placing of any top flight team since 1960.

This got me thinking.... if we are counting AFC Wimbledon as the old Wimbledon, then they have certainly been that low.

And also Oxford United have played 5th tier... pretty sure they have been top flight - can anyone confirm / deny? 

And actually Luton Town have definately played 5th tier, and definately played top flight. 

8 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

You are quite right Rick. Time passes and we can forget. Clubs that have played top flight since 1960 include; L Orient, Oxford, Northampton, Carlisle and Luton. not sure about Grimsby; I'll look that up.

Luton were a decent team whilst in the top flight. Remember the FA cup semi when they knocked out Norwich who would have been the first 3rd flight team to reach the final.

But back to Spurs for a moment. I was at WHL in 1960 when a young guy playing for Chelsea scored in a 0-1 victory. His name; Jimmy Greaves. Went on to be perhaps the greatest forward England ever had. He went to Italy and then on to Spurs. His first 5 metres pace was exceptional. Only matched since by Gary Lineker (before his sickness). It's what made him special. A racehorse amongst carthorses. He - in my opinion - did as much as any footballer to change the way attacking football was played in England.

Yep Grimsby have definitely played 5th tier, but not sure about top flight.

Which modern day striker would you compare Greaves to, or is it impossible given the difference in eras?

12 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

You are quite right Rick. Time passes and we can forget. Clubs that have played top flight since 1960 include; L Orient, Oxford, Northampton, Carlisle and Luton. not sure about Grimsby; I'll look that up.

Luton were a decent team whilst in the top flight. Remember the FA cup semi when they knocked out Norwich who would have been the first 3rd flight team to reach the final.

But back to Spurs for a moment. I was at WHL in 1960 when a young guy playing for Chelsea scored in a 0-1 victory. His name; Jimmy Greaves. Went on to be perhaps the greatest forward England ever had. He went to Italy and then on to Spurs. His first 5 metres pace was exceptional. Only matched since by Gary Lineker (before his sickness). It's what made him special. A racehorse amongst carthorses. He - in my opinion - did as much as any footballer to change the way attacking football was played in England.

Greavsie thought nothing of eating steak and chips plus a pudding on a Saturday lunchtime. If Banks, Charlton and Moore were World class so was Greavsie.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Yep Grimsby have definitely played 5th tier, but not sure about top flight.

Which modern day striker would you compare Greaves to, or is it impossible given the difference in eras?

Jimmy Greaves was special. Not just because he put the ball in the net but he was - I know Alf Ramsey said Martin Peters was 10 years ahead of his time -  for me it was Greaves. In England in the Early 1960s the pitches were very heavy. By the end of a game sometimes the whole pitch was cut up. Often the only areas where the ball ran true was down the wings. For many years; since Chelsea won the top flight in 55 all teams played 2-3-5. The double winning team was no different. With the flying Welshman Jones and opposite with dashing Dyson or cultured Medwin. The aim was to get past the defender and hope that the centre forward could keep up and nod the cross in. Did Greaves ever score a headed goal. Can't recall any. 

Anyway. During the 1960s things were changing. The pitches were better drained and some even had under-soil heating installed. And someone also realised that plastic covers would help keep the rain off. But more importantly some really good, thinking managers came along. Including Harry Potts, Busby, Paisley and Ramsey. Until Ramsey England was a laughing stock in world football. The first managers to change things were Paisley and Ramsey. England, Utd and Celtic were all successful during the mid 1960s. Things were changing. Systems had arrived!!!

Everyone suddenly knew about 4-2-4 and 4-4-2. Greaves would have thrived. Imagine the young Greaves in one of the great Liverpool teams?!

The Brazilian Ronaldo was the nearest to Greaves I have seen. Went unnoticed for 50 minutes then the ball was in the net. The young Messi was Greavsie with wings.

The young Greaves would have been a revelation in the current City team.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Was that .. the no brakes no gears  cycle speedway?  

Ha, ha bro. No!!

The track was open air. One mile long with a couple of testing short, steep bits and a turn or two. I'm going to go through my archives later and try to get a few pics out. 

My daughter would ride twice 'round the track hard and then stop and run round while i held her trek, bike.

Those were the days. Where did they go?!

This was one of the first City games I remember going to; I was a kid.

Memorable game for 2 reasons:

• The Corrigan - Boyce goal - trick of the mind, as I always thought Boyce hit it from INSIDE his own half.
  • Greavsie scored on his debut - as he did every debut

Check out the Maine Road pitch!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

This was one of the first City games I remember going to; I was a kid.

Memorable game for 2 reasons:

• The Corrigan - Boyce goal - trick of the mind, as I always thought Boyce hit it from INSIDE his own half.
  • Greavsie scored on his debut - as he did every debut

Check out the Maine Road pitch!

I was at that game too, in the Platt Lane end. Bolton must have been playing away and, because of the 66 WC, West Ham were my 2nd team. My dad took me. I was early teens then. Greaves was a swap for Martin Peters who went to Spurs; Spurs coughed up some money too. I think Peters was valued at 200 grand, which was huge then.

33 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Champers is as red as a Scotsman at a summer barbecue Rick.

How dare you, Ronnie!!! You are right off my Christmas card list. I will own up to thinking George Best is the greatest player ever - even better than Jay Jay Okocha (so good they named him twice).

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, champers said:

How dare you, Ronnie!!! You are right off my Christmas card list. I will own up to thinking George Best is the greatest player ever - even better than Jay Jay Okocha (so good they named him twice).

Always worth a try Champers! 

1 hour ago, champers said:

I was at that game too, in the Platt Lane end. Bolton must have been playing away and, because of the 66 WC, West Ham were my 2nd team. My dad took me. I was early teens then. Greaves was a swap for Martin Peters who went to Spurs; Spurs coughed up some money too. I think Peters was valued at 200 grand, which was huge then.

I was in the kippax that game as always. Funny that you are Bolton fan that used to go to City, as in the 70s my dad used to take us to Bolton matches (circa Peter Thompson days) when City were away - also County on Friday nights.

Just now, owl sees all said:

When I think of that team Luton in the top flight. 

I think of iain dowie playing.

I had a few pro set cards back in the day!

23 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I was in the kippax that game as always. Funny that you are Bolton fan that used to go to City, as in the 70s my dad used to take us to Bolton matches (circa Peter Thompson days) when City were away - also County on Friday nights.

Oh so he is Bolton.

I went to Bolton 0 United 6 at Burnden Park back in the day. Cantona, Cole and I believe even Jordi Cruyff among the scorers ????

EDIT: Looking it up.. not Cantona or Cruyff but Scholes and Beckham did score... memory is going a bit. 

Edited by RickG16