Tottenham Thread

chonabot

That is what happens when we play with no strikers.

I hope Daniel was watching.

Not only that smokie but the general team selection needed a lot to be desired.

Why wasn't Defoe even on the bench.

Caulker and Vertognen are predominantly right sided center backs so playing the two together meant that Caulker was consistently playing on his weaker side.

Dawson, who is a right sided center back was on the bench. He should have been playing alongside one of those two. Thats poor team selection by AVB.

Finally the more i hear the club trying to impress on us that the attacking midfielder Dempsey is now a striker tells me we are not getting a new striker. He is even on our squad listing as a stiker! I do hope no one is going to suggest he is a striker because he's not. He's become Levy's way of telling us we ain't spending.

Lets hope i'm wrong

Caulker and Vertognen are predominantly right sided center backs so playing the two together meant that Caulker was consistently playing on his weaker side.

Dawson, who is a right sided center back was on the bench. He should have been playing alongside one of those two. Thats poor team selection by AVB.

Finally the more i hear the club trying to impress on us that the attacking midfielder Dempsey is now a striker tells me we are not getting a new striker. He is even on our squad listing as a stiker! I do hope no one is going to suggest he is a striker because he's not. He's become Levy's way of telling us we ain't spending.

Lets hope i'm wrong

Defoes injured. Has a pelvic injury, which may need surgery!

That being the case, it will be an interesting week to see if tight wad has the common sense to realise without strikers you will struggle to finish top 6.

• Like 1

Lets hope i'm wrong

That being the case, it will be an interesting week to see if tight wad has the common sense to realise without strikers you will struggle to finish top 6.

So its true about his injury! Well if so we are really in the sh1t. I can't see us getting anyone decent by doing business so late. Hooper from Celtic would probably be a disaster as he's only proven he's half decent playing in a pub league.

But hey ho, Dempsey's suddenly become a striker so we'll be fine.

I must say, i totally agree with you about Levy in this instance and i, along with many Spurs fans it seems, feel badly let down by him. I'm convinced we are only a couple of key signings short of being a very good side and sadly its just not going to happen.

Again, i just hope i'm wrong.

Just edited to say that AVB was quoted as saying Defoe was given the week off and will be back for the Norwich game on wednesday. Make of that what you will

Edited by carmine

Lets hope i'm wrong

I empaphise. Same problem we have had at Arsenal (though in fairness to Wenger Theo is starting to look like he could be converted after-all) and I dont think we are geting another striker also. But who can tell - its only the 28th of Januarybiggrin.png Levy and Wenger/Gazidis are both last-minute-charlies.

Lets hope i'm wrong

I empaphise. Same problem we have had at Arsenal (though in fairness to Wenger Theo is starting to look like he could be converted after-all) and I dont think we are geting another striker also. But who can tell - its only the 28th of Januarybiggrin.png Levy and Wenger/Gazidis are both last-minute-charlies.

Do you think one of us is going to end up with the cheap option in Hooper from Celtic who's almost certainly a flop in the waiting?

Lets hope i'm wrong

So its true about his injury! Well if so we are really in the sh1t. I can't see us getting anyone decent by doing business so late. Hooper from Celtic would probably be a disaster as he's only proven he's half decent playing in a pub league.

But hey ho, Dempsey's suddenly become a striker so we'll be fine.

I must say, i totally agree with you about Levy in this instance and i, along with many Spurs fans it seems, feel badly let down by him. I'm convinced we are only a couple of key signings short of being a very good side and sadly its just not going to happen.

Again, i just hope i'm wrong.

I dont watch Spurs enough to know what is your best back 4.... but you have Dawson, Verthongen, Gallas, Walker, Caulker, Naughton, Assou- Ekotto. Surely thats enough to have a nice defense, but AVB seems to be messing around with it, as though he cant make his mind up which is his best 4. He should pick 4 and stick with it. Whichever 4 he picks, he should have Verthongen as one of the centre halves. But he has enough cover in that area.

You desperately need an out and out striker, and a midfielder, minimum.. The ball was dropped with Moutinho, and leaving things till the last week in the transfer window, means you either over-pay or get the dregs ( a la City in the last transfer window)

Its a shame because Spurs would be half decent with 2 or 3 new faces.

AVB hasn't picked the same back for in consecutive games since last october.

In fairness to the manager the injury to Kaboul is the main problem. Its a no brainer if all fit to start with Kaboul and Vertoghen, with Caulker as first back up. The left back slot is uncertain partly due to the long injury lay off to Assou-Ekkoto.

He also could have saved himself a lot of hassle by not pissing around Lloris for so long. That was a ridiculous saga and served as nothing else other than ammunition for redknapps tabloid pals.

You desperately need an out and out striker, and a midfielder, minimum.. The ball was dropped with Moutinho, and leaving things till the last week in the transfer window, means you either over-pay or get the dregs ( a la City in the last transfer window)

Its a shame because Spurs would be half decent with 2 or 3 new faces.

Very good points and if you don't know who you want until the last minute, better not buy anyone.

• Like 1

Addybaddie just put Togo through to the next stage as well, which means no early return for him. Spuds looking well capable of emulating last seasons decline? (Yeah yeah I know - we dont look like emulating last seasons Feb/March - wins over easy teams are single swallows that do not make a summer). My money now would be on a Liverpool team for fourth - probably red colour. Chelsea are capable of slipping but surely not that far with the likes of Hazard, Mata and Oscar in the middle.

Gervinho likely delayed (probably until the end) for us too. I just hope he gets lots of practise looking up to give decent final passes (which he was able to do when RvP was around). Still capable of proving his 12m value if he can survive Arsenal and santisuk hate mail

Addybaddie just put Togo through to the next stage as well, which means no early return for him. Spuds looking well capable of emulating last seasons decline? (Yeah yeah I know - we dont look like emulating last seasons Feb/March - wins over easy teams are single swallows that do not make a summer). My money now would be on a Liverpool team for fourth - probably red colour. Chelsea are capable of slipping but surely not that far with the likes of Hazard, Mata and Oscar in the middle.

Gervinho likely delayed (probably until the end) for us too. I just hope he gets lots of practise looking up to give decent final passes (which he was able to do when RvP was around). Still capable of proving his 12m value if he can survive Arsenal and santisuk hate mail

Don't think its as bad as all that! Chelsea arn't up to much. Liverpool are totally inconsistent as are Arsenal. Spurs are reliant on Defoe that couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo. Don't think Everton have a strong enough squad.

Taking it further, Utd are not up to much either if Van Persie gets injured. I'm sure thats what City will be thinking too.

All to play for i'd say.

Don't think its as bad as all that! Chelsea arn't up to much. Liverpool are totally inconsistent as are Arsenal. Spurs are reliant on Defoe that couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo. Don't think Everton have a strong enough squad.

Taking it further, Utd are not up to much either if Van Persie gets injured. I'm sure thats what City will be thinking too.

All to play for i'd say.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Nice to see Spurs posters on here the day after losing unlike other teams threads who go into hiding the day after losing or even drawing, also nice to see the manager not blaming the ref or the linesman, not moaning that there wasn't enough injury time played, not berating the 4th everytime a throw in went against us generally taking a loss in good spirit.

Anyway the game, nothing to say due to everything being already said !

Nice to see Spurs posters on here the day after losing unlike other teams threads who go into hiding the day after losing or even drawing, also nice to see the manager not blaming the ref or the linesman, not moaning that there wasn't enough injury time played, not berating the 4th everytime a throw in went against us generally taking a loss in good spirit.

Anyway the game, nothing to say due to everything being already said !

Quite agree Alfredo you got domed by the sheep shagging northern monkeys didn't yer!

If that performance doesn't persuade Levy to get his wad out i fail to see what will bah.gif

You cant tell doodle squat on the basis of an FA Cup game; they are totally wierd animals - ask Norwich, ask the Reds. Could so easily have been 'ask Arsenal' too if Arsene had taken more of a gamble with the squad on the day (although Santos was probably the most ridiculous single gamble of any manager on the daytongue.png, which Brighton gleefully exploited so much so that Jenkinson hardly ever touched the ball when in a defending right back position)

Leeds are total nonces in the Championship and I wouldn't use my free pass on Leeds town buses to go see them. Once a year they get their 90 minutes to get to play like heros, so they do.

If I were a betting man I would put money on both Wenger and Levy coming up with a surprise in the next few days. I reckon that all their positioning will have been to convince sellers that they are not forced buyers and that a few 'take it or leave it' relatively generous (for them) offers will be sprinkled around. Both are intelligent blokes and they don't need us to tell them that top 4 is vital to progress over the next 3 years, nor that there is a good possibility that one of the other 5 contenders (I go as far down as Swansea) will snatch it from their grasp with current line-ups and form levels.

Hold onto your hats - maybe an interesting ride this week.

Edited by SantiSuk

IMO just stop the buying in January.

Nah. Even though it looks like we aren't doing much horse trading, I love the last day, or few minutes. On another note, I think you should be able to buy and sell all year. All that having a window does is push prices up IMO.

Nah. Even though it looks like we aren't doing much horse trading, I love the last day, or few minutes. On another note, I think you should be able to buy and sell all year. All that having a window does is push prices up IMO.

Or be able to replace a player who is out for the season when the transfer windows are not open.

A masterstroke from Levy to start the season with 4 goalkeepers and 2 strikers, one of which he knew would be of on holiday to Africa come January. If anyone with any vision at WHL had popped up to Aberdeen in the late 80's they could have obtained the services of one Alexander Chapman Ferguson and had a bulging trophy cabinet,4 strikers always on hand and a bronze statue beautifying WHL. No wonder so many Spurs fans suffer depression.

• Like 2

Either way is preferred to the Jan transfer window. It seems to be a game about who can hold their nerve the longest and often end up buying players they never use or at inflated prices.

Man utd wouldnt pay what ferguson wanted, so our man irvine went in agreed a deal with fergie only i believe for fergies mrs 2

veto the idea of London and the poor cows had to live in Manchester ever since.cheesy.gif

As for yesterday, its about time vb stopped this goddam tinkering I appreciate he wants to try every diferent combination,

sort of makes sense, but defenses and defenders thrive and improve on stability It could be argued that what he's doing has

now had 'consequences', Dawson, arguably, is the only c/b in fact this could cover defenders, thats playing to potential

caulkers having a TOTAL NITEMARE and verity ain't far behind him, gallas tries, BLESS, naughtons hanging in JUST, and

walker, well,,,,,thank the f-- he's got pace. Oh having the pleasure of watching our 2 LEFT HAND sided cb/s yesterday NOT

RIGHT HAND sided as was prev statated, play, lets be kind, and say badly, who plays when v b gets serious? ,cant say i'm enamored with either at

the mo.

Make everyone right, now is exactly why we signed Dawson, we ain't getting a new striker, were getting a new stadium, like it

or lump it, and ive got a sneaking feeling that its the way its gonna be for a while,

Edited by rijit

Man utd wouldnt pay what ferguson wanted, so our man irvine went in agreed a deal with fergie only i believe for fergies mrs 2

veto the idea of London and the poor cows had to live in Manchester ever since.cheesy.gif

As for yesterday, its about time vb stopped this goddam tinkering I appreciate he wants to try every diferent combination,

sort of makes sense, but defenses and defenders thrive and improve on stability It could be argued that what he's doing has

now had 'consequences', Dawson, arguably, is the only c/b in fact this could cover defenders, thats playing to potential

caulkers having a TOTAL NITEMARE and verity ain't far behind him, gallas tries, BLESS, naughtons hanging in JUST, and

walker, well,,,,,thank the f-- he's got pace. Oh having the pleasure of watching our 2 LEFT HAND sided cb/s yesterday NOT

RIGHT HAND sided as was prev statated, play, lets be kind, and say badly, who plays when v b gets serious? ,cant say i'm enamored with either at

the mo.

Make everyone right, now is exactly why we signed Dawson, we ain't getting a new striker, were getting a new stadium, like it

or lump it, and ive got a sneaking feeling that its the way its gonna be for a while,

Have you ever thought of a career as an author rij,i find your scribbling's very entertaining.biggrin.png