Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Paulinho cost me. That box to box arsehol_e.facepalm.gif

Cheer up Jellybean....Bigtoe is trying attack as best form of defence routine.

Where is your decline thread twinkle toes? biggrin.png

Important three points that and I just hate to see home sides play like that....better get used to it I guess.. .shades of Blackpool were entering my peripheral vision...

I have already posted on decline thread Smokie, and said it was a Bad day at the office "FOR SURE" City did play very well and we had no idea's on how to handle them. City will be a hard team to beat for any team on that form.

But before you start "Gloating" TOO MUCH, we have already said Stability, Stability, Stability and when the "ability" is put back in we will have the Stability again biggrin.png

Winners of ELP last 21 years,

Man Utd - 13

Chelski -1

Spurs - AH that will be a "ZERO" Nane then, not one w00t.gif It might happen before you get your pension though Smokie clap2.gif that's more likely than an Englishman managing a winner team laugh.png

Long Season Guys. biggrin.png

BT biggrin.png

There's only one thing more pleasing than a Spurs victory, and that's seeing a Man Ure fan, on a Spurs thread, suddenly having to quote the past..... because his team were so dire yesterday, and have been every performance so far this season... Di Canio the first casualty... Moyes the second? Yes, it's a long long season.....

Good riddance to Di Canio, let him go back to the circus!

Moyes is doing the bewilderment thing, turning to a gormless Phil Neville and a confused looking Giggs.........never a good sign in a manager.

Little bit worrying about not having a left back as cover for Rose, i think we would have been even more convincing with a natural left back playing.

Overall a good performance and once the team starts to gell we should be ok !

If (when) that team gels, it will be top notch!

Edited by uptheos

That was pretty much what i expected. Cardiff, with the help of magnificent goalkeeping, very hard to crack. We had something like 29 shots on goal. Tough on Cardiff but we did deserve the win.

A few points from the game

Surely AVB will never pick Naughton again at left back. He was aweful and could have cost us three goals. If Cardiff can runs rings round him then christ knows what better teams will do. In the absence of Rose, he'll have to switch Vertonghen.

Why isn't Lamela playing more or starting?? AVB should put Lamela straight in, starting on the right and switch Townsend left. Lamela already in all too brief glimpse looks a class above.

Townsend is still too greedy. How many shots this time and everytime so so predictable. One two occasions a pass was a much better option squandered.

Dembele, although having a very tidy, workmanlike game slows the pace down too much, moving sideways too much. He needs to pick up the pace and be more direct.

If we can't head the ball then take short corners. Check out the corner count and see how many chances created!!

Paulinho was superb, wonderful back heel to score, and put in the type of role in midfield that allows AVB to dispense with Sandro for a more attacking option against some of the lesser sides.

Must have been frustrating for Soldado but on other similar days he could score a couple easily.

Chelsea next week, looking forward to it and i very much hope he starts with Soldado, Lamela, Eriksen and Townsend, Paulinho and Sandro and don't, whatever the injury situation play Naughton at left back because they will tear him apart

• Like 2

Little bit worrying about not having a left back as cover for Rose, i think we would have been even more convincing with a natural left back playing.

Overall a good performance and once the team starts to gell we should be ok !

If (when) that team gels, it will be top notch!

Agreed, more to come from Lamela for sure.... love the midfield, Paulinho is everywhere, Dembele's performances have dramatically improved, and Eriksen looks class. Behind them we have Holtby, Sandro and Capoue... very strong indeed. We will see where the team settles... Chirches still to figure, Capoue and Lennon to return from injury... so many options, and Townsend deserves a mention, he's been excellent so far. Still think we need another class striker in January, put some pressure on Soldado. Next weekend's game will be fascinating.....

That was pretty much what i expected. Cardiff, with the help of magnificent goalkeeping, very hard to crack. We had something like 29 shots on goal. Tough on Cardiff but we did deserve the win.

A few points from the game

Surely AVB will never pick Naughton again at left back. He was aweful and could have cost us three goals. If Cardiff can runs rings round him then christ knows what better teams will do. In the absence of Rose, he'll have to switch Vertonghen.

Why isn't Lamela playing more or starting?? AVB should put Lamela straight in, starting on the right and switch Townsend left. Lamela already in all too brief glimpse looks a class above.

Townsend is still too greedy. How many shots this time and everytime so so predictable. One two occasions a pass was a much better option squandered.

Dembele, although having a very tidy, workmanlike game slows the pace down too much, moving sideways too much. He needs to pick up the pace and be more direct.

If we can't head the ball then take short corners. Check out the corner count and see how many chances created!!

Paulinho was superb, wonderful back heel to score, and put in the type of role in midfield that allows AVB to dispense with Sandro for a more attacking option against some of the lesser sides.

Must have been frustrating for Soldado but on other similar days he could score a couple easily.

Chelsea next week, looking forward to it and i very much hope he starts with Soldado, Lamela, Eriksen and Townsend, Paulinho and Sandro and don't, whatever the injury situation play Naughton at left back because they will tear him apart

I agree with most of your views, but certainly not Dembele, I think he's been awesome, breaks up play and very difficult to dispossess.... a very good foil for Paulinho. Townsend is still a little raw, but I love the way he runs at defenders, he will improve, and gives Lennon much needed competition and cover. Next week, I think Rose will return, no other changes as yet, Lamela does look class, I just think AVB is slowly integrating him into the team, and the pace of the PL.

Dembele played well, don't get more. As you say, he broke up play very well i just don't like him slowing down play to suit himself when we have such a pacey midfield. I'm just saying sometimes he needs to offload earlier and allow our play to have a higher tempo.

I'm guessing Sig. got the nod because of his goals last week and expectation of some brutal defending by Cardiff.

Let's hope we see a start for Lamela against the chavs....Kaboul too hopefully.

Will we see Chiriches finally in midweek??

Apparently Chiriches can play left back as well as CB, if so i'd rather see him there than disrupt the Dawson Vertonghan combination wink.png

I think Lamela was always going to be our attacking right sided player but just needed a few weeks to bed in plus Townsend hasn't been playing too badly hence no real rush to play him !

Edited by alfieconn

I thoroughly enjoyed the game and Cardiff did a superb job at keeping us out... this made it more and more entertaining as time went on.... or should that read frustrating? I wish I had been there.

Soldado's performance was much better; they are starting to gel. Naughton agreed; a nitemare and he wont get away with a performance like that against the better attacking teams. This probably wont be popular with some (lol) but I thought Dawson had a cracking game, constantly organising, make some superb rock hard challenges, and only caught ball watching a couple of times. A leader by example. A notable Captain's performance. Lamela made the difference in the end providing that width on the right. I think If Danny had been playing we would have got a hat full; we never really got down the left hand side with any aggression; I think they were holding back to cover for the obvious Naughton weakness. Goodness knows why AVB didnt play Vertonghen (who did really well the other night) as LB and give the new boy Chiriches a start. Generally a cracking 3 points and we should be chuffed to <deleted> with the spirit, morale and teamwork. More games mid week..... this season really is gonna be survival of the fittest, hardiest and most resilient.

Chelsea next week is going to be difficult to call. But we are at home. YIDS

I'm guessing Sig. got the nod because of his goals last week and expectation of some brutal defending by Cardiff.

I would have thought Vlad will start at Villa

Apparently Chiriches can play left back as well as CB, if so i'd rather see him there than disrupt the Dawson Vertonghan combination wink.png

I think Lamela was always going to be our attacking right sided player but just needed a few weeks to bed in plus Townsend hasn't been playing too badly hence no real rush to play him !

Think you are right on all counts. Don't see a problem with Townsend switching, do you?

I was also very impressed with the obvious team spirit and what that win clearly meant. We are going into the Chelsea game with a good momentum.

Dembele played well, don't get more. As you say, he broke up play very well i just don't like him slowing down play to suit himself when we have such a pacey midfield. I'm just saying sometimes he needs to offload earlier and allow our play to have a higher tempo.

Watched the game 4 times now, and still don't see your point of view, sorry... Analysed Dembele's play, every time he won the ball, he pinned his ears back and went straight at Cardiff... just my opinion. I am a Spurs supporter who's cup is usually half full.... I experienced going to every game home and away when we got relegated in 1977, with players like John Pratt... Terry Naylor... The quality at Spurs in EVERY position is the best I have seen in my 50 years of following the Spurs, I will not criticize any of the squad, because I think this squad can possibly go the distance, for the first time since 1961... I believe in each and every one of them.

• Like 2

Dembele played well, don't get more.  As you say, he broke up play very well i just don't like him slowing down play to suit himself when we have such a pacey midfield.  I'm just saying sometimes he needs to offload earlier and allow our play to have a higher tempo.

Watched the game 4 times now, and still don't see your point of view, sorry... Analysed Dembele's play, every time he won the ball, he pinned his ears back and went straight at Cardiff... just my opinion. I am a Spurs supporter who's cup is usually half full.... I experienced going to every game home and away when we got relegated in 1977, with players like John Pratt... Terry Naylor... The quality at Spurs in EVERY position is the best I have seen in my 50 years of following the Spurs, I will not criticize any of the squad, because I think this squad can possibly go the distance, for the first time since 1961... I believe in each and every one of them.

Only criticism is the use of Naughton at LB....that is an acchiles heel for us which can be solved by the introduction of Chiriches I hope.

Or better still a fully fit Kaboul. Fingers crossed he is ready for the chavs.

Shame you never saw the '61 team then eh?

whistling.gif

fair enough. We all express our views. The one aspect that we should all be happy is the manner in which we are winning inspire of being a new team in the making. We will only get stronger every game. I said at the start of the season that we needed to hang in there until christmas and see where we stand and so far we are exceeding expectations. If we are still right up there at new year then its game on but i can't get too excited yet. Just very satisfied and i think Villas-Boas is doing a great job. I don't think we need fear anyone but we can prove that next saturday sticking to Mourinho

I would like to see something being sorted out with Adebayor. If he's not going to be the true asset we know he can be then get rid of him. Seeing young Harry Kane coming on tells me Adebayor is as good as gone.

The Belgian powerhouse may not be producing the prettiest performances for Tottenham at the moment, but his contributions have been an invaluable part of why Spurs have stayed at the summit of the table thusfar.

Though at times as we get into the season it might be a little difficult to identify a WCH to counterpart our Spurs MOTM each week, this particular decision was a breeze to make. That is because against Cardiff City, once again, Mousa Dembele produced a performance as influential as it was understated, to the point where some elements of the Twittersphere actually ended up coming down quite (unnecessarily) hard on the Belgian even after the favourable result was secured.

Though his midfield partner Paulinho will be taking away the accolades for the game his superbly-taken backheeled winner (as well as another generally sound all-round performance leading up to it), Dembele demonstrated a superior work rate against Cardiff, taking touches all over the pitch and more frequently in deeper areas than the Brazilian in order to help Tottenham build from the back. He recycled possession excellently with 92% of his passes completed succesfully, made three interceptions, and completed an excellent (though by his own standards fairly ordinary) five dribbles, all of which collectively speaks to a grafting box-to-box performance.

Furthermore, the key for me this week was that Dembele racked up these stats whilst fulfilling a role that buttressed the team's wider performance very well- at once unflashy and pivotal. In my eyes, what we're finally starting to see from him is an arguably necessary evolution from primary creator, a role which he played last season but has seemingly now lost to Christian Eriksen, into a deeper-sitting, thoroughly modern pivot player who is prepared primarily to carry the water for his teammates with consistent tackling and responsible passing but will also infrequently step up and drive forward into attack when need be.

Unlike last term, Dembele is now far from a locked-in starter for the rest of the season as Andre Villas-Boas attempts to accommodate a vast array of central midfielders who bring different and valuable traits to the table. Most importantly of all if he wants to remain a valued member of the first XI, he still needs to try and shake off his frustrating habit of holding on to the ball a second longer than he should when transitioning from deeper positions into the opposition half. But he barely put a foot wrong against Cardiff, and it's quite obvious that we could do much worse than continue to use him as a foil for Little Paul even if other tactical options might still appear more tempting for games played on the road.

Dembele is a mire attacking option than Sandro but we'll have to wait and see for the weekend which way AVB feels is best to start.

Mouthwatering game this one!

When I used to watch Spurs in the early 80's, with such fine players as Ardiles, Hoddle, Villa, Hazard, Danny Thomas, Hughton, Archibald, Crooks..... I loved the football we played, and the style, the result sometimes was not so heart breaking. This new side, quality of squad, style of play.... makes me reminisce... I used to be nervous before games like Chelsea, now I am filled with anticipation and excitement, bring it on !!!

Dembele is a mire attacking option than Sandro but we'll have to wait and see for the weekend which way AVB feels is best to start.

When I used to watch Spurs in the early 80's, with such fine players as Ardiles, Hoddle, Villa, Hazard, Danny Thomas, Hughton, Archibald, Crooks..... I loved the football we played, and the style, the result sometimes was not so heart breaking. This new side, quality of squad, style of play.... makes me reminisce... I used to be nervous before games like Chelsea, now I am filled with anticipation and excitement,  bring it on !!!

The style is back in the team's play....I thought last season the movement and counter attacking was at times superb....this season we will have to pick the lick much more.

Against the chavs however it should be more open....I expect a few goals and an entertaining game.

When I used to watch Spurs in the early 80's, with such fine players as Ardiles, Hoddle, Villa, Hazard, Danny Thomas, Hughton, Archibald, Crooks..... I loved the football we played, and the style, the result sometimes was not so heart breaking. This new side, quality of squad, style of play.... makes me reminisce... I used to be nervous before games like Chelsea, now I am filled with anticipation and excitement, bring it on !!!

I can remember being at your pub ground many times when Micky Hazard was the only player in the side with any attempt at invention.

I can remember being at your pub ground many times when Micky Hazard was the only player in the side with any attempt at invention.

I can remember the 1969 League Cup final when you gooners fielded a team of NO invention.

SWINDON TOWN 3 ARSENAL 1

Two years after QPR' heroics another Third Divivison side carved their name in Wembley folklore. This showpiece belonged to one man, Swindon midfielder Don Rodgers. He ran the Gunners' ragged.

I should add....Chavs beware....lol

Edited by iancnx

Tonite Villa scum are already crying about 10 injuries. Should be a good run out for our second string. I want to see Kane and Fryers tested, and Chiriches to get his first start. if Defoe is fit he could get a hat full tonight. We could even give Adebayor a run out. Lamela, Soldado and Townsend on the bench to come on late to tidy up the score if necessary.

Tonite Villa scum are already crying about 10 injuries. Should be a good run out for our second string. I want to see Kane and Fryers tested, and Chiriches to get his first start. if Defoe is fit he could get a hat full tonight. We could even give Adebayor a run out. Lamela, Soldado and Townsend on the bench to come on late to tidy up the score if necessary.

Are you a closet Brum or WBA fan? laugh.png

Are you a closet Brum or WBA fan? laugh.png

It's a long story......