Change of visa - ED Language to ED University

Hi All,

I'm super confused with the changing of visa from one educational institution to another.

I'm a British passport holder, entered Thailand on a triple entry TR visa in April 2014, then in May, signed up for a Thai Language school, went to Laos to get the ED visa in July and have had two extensions since then. My current extension stamp brings me to April 2015.

I am starting university in Bangkok in March and am quite eager to get onto the 1 year visa as soon as possible (of course it's so much easier than having to extend every 90 days or less!). The information that's coming from both the school and the university in regards to 'dates' isn't making much sense to me.

The language school will give me a letter 'cancelling' the visa for a date that I request but am confused as to what I need from the other school, and with what dates etc they need to state and when to go to immigration to do so. I hear that the dates have to match up and if they don't, overstay will be charged. This all makes little sense to me and I'm starting to panic about it all. I also heard that you can't cancel the visa until 14 days before it expires or something. But I don't know whether a visa 'expiry' is one year from the entry into Thailand date or up to the extension date.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

You would need the documents from the university showing that you have started classes on or before the date you change the reason for your extension.

You could have an overlap of the dates on the letter from the language school and the university documents.

There is no minimum or max number of days you have on your current extension when doing the change.

Your visa expired long ago because it was only valid for one 90 day entry.

You would need the documents from the university that you have started classes on or before the date you change the reason for your extension.

You could have an overlap of the dates on the letter from the language school and the university documents.

The is no minimum or max number of days you have on your current extension when doing the change.

Your visa expired long ago because it was only valid for one 90 day entry.

So I can't have a letter in mid February stating that I 'will' start on 1st March for instance to be able to change. I will need to have started my classes before I can actually change?

I don't officially finish my language school classes until mid march but would rather get on to the other visa.

I am so confused with my visa.

I first had my ED Visa/Sticker/Stamp May 2012...from there, I was able to get extension.

After a year, I enrolled again and even went to Ministry of Education for interview then I got another for a year which I extended every 3 months between 2013-2014. I was able to go in and out of the country with no problem.

Finally, I enrolled again May of 2014...my school offered me for 1 year visa stamp, so I grabbed the chance. I got 1 year stamp until May 2015. I don't do extensions because its 1 year stamp already, my school do my 90day report, too.

My concerned is, I am going to another country next month for 10days. If I have multiple re-entry until May 2015, will they allow me to go back or my visa is illegal for getting 1 year straight? If I don't have multiple re-entry permit, if I go out then when I comeback, I will only have tourist visa? My ED visa will be automatically cancelled?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

My concerned is, I am going to another country next month for 10days. If I have multiple re-entry until May 2015, will they allow me to go back or my visa is illegal for getting 1 year straight? If I don't have multiple re-entry permit, if I go out then when I comeback, I will only have tourist visa? My ED visa will be automatically cancelled?

You don't have a problem, your extension of stay (it is not a visa) is valid until May '15. If you travel only once, you can use a single re-entry permit. When you come back immigration may ask you some questions in Thai, if you work, etc. Bring with you a student card and Bt 20,000 in cash if possible.

You don't have a problem, your extension of stay (it is not a visa) is valid until May '15. If you travel only once, you can use a single re-entry permit. When you come back immigration may ask you some questions in Thai, if you work, etc. Bring with you a student card and Bt 20,000 in cash if possible.

Thank you Paz. I was bit worried because someone told me that Immigration don't give 1year ED visa extension,its either 3 months or nowadays 2 months...saying that my ED visa extension is illegal.

I don't really work here as I am here with my partner who is working here with valid visa and WP, together with our two minor kids who are studying here with proper visa, too. i will be traveling with them.

I am afraid I can't speak to them well in Thai, but I attend classes...just slow learner, :( anyway, if I was not able to answer them in Thai nor write or read Thai, do you think they will cancel my visa and give me tourist visa instead? Or worst deportation, Whch I don't like to happen.

I have student card, thai bank account, lease agreement all under my name...

Thank you Paz. I was bit worried because someone told me that Immigration don't give 1year ED visa extension,its either 3 months or nowadays 2 months...saying that my ED visa extension is illegal.

I don't really work here as I am here with my partner who is working here with valid visa and WP, together with our two minor kids who are studying here with proper visa, too. i will be traveling with them.

I am afraid I can't speak to them well in Thai, but I attend classes...just slow learner, sad.png anyway, if I was not able to answer them in Thai nor write or read Thai, do you think they will cancel my visa and give me tourist visa instead? Or worst deportation, Whch I don't like to happen.

I have student card, thai bank account, lease agreement all under my name...

Nothing applies to existing extensions. Just answer to you best, using the words you know. Most likely they will not ask anything. Once your extension is about to expire you can get another as parent of your kids studying in Thailand, need Bt 500,000 In a Thai bank, reason 2.11

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280330 But most likely you'll need to travel to Laos to get a non-imm 'O' visa first.

Edited by paz

I am so confused with my visa.

I first had my ED Visa/Sticker/Stamp May 2012...from there, I was able to get extension.

After a year, I enrolled again and even went to Ministry of Education for interview then I got another for a year which I extended every 3 months between 2013-2014. I was able to go in and out of the country with no problem.

Finally, I enrolled again May of 2014...my school offered me for 1 year visa stamp, so I grabbed the chance. I got 1 year stamp until May 2015. I don't do extensions because its 1 year stamp already, my school do my 90day report, too.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

You will have answers in the this topic you posted. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/795460-confused-with-1year-ed-visa-extension/#entry8995648